Message Boards

Topic : 12/05 Internet Dangers

Number of Replies: 101
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 30, 2007, 01:42:12 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You don’t think twice when logging on to the Internet to shop for household items, chat with relatives and buy movie tickets, but surfing the net can have dangerous consequences. Donna Jou made headlines when she disappeared five months ago. The straight A-student was last seen in the company of John Burgess, a convicted sex offender whom police believe she met on Craigslist. Donna’s family is outraged that Burgess isn’t behind bars, and her mom, Nili, makes an impassioned plea for her safe return. Their attorney, Gloria Allred, brings Dr. Phil up to speed on this tragic case. Then, Marcus and Rhodesia were married for eight years and had three kids, but that didn’t stop Marcus from having an affair with a woman he met on MySpace. Marcus says Rhodesia drove him to cheat because she let herself go. The ink has barely dried on their divorce papers, but Marcus and Rhodesia are already thinking about reconciling. Can Marcus change, or should Rhodesia thank her lucky stars that she’s out of this marriage? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 5, 2007, 2:43 pm CST

12/05 Internet Dangers

Quote From: sueishere

Marcus made the statement that his wife better keep herself looking good. Hello Marcus you're fat and not all that. Your wife should say the same to you. Men that are fat never seem to see it.

You couldn't be more correct.  It's always up to the woman to look good, take care of the household duties and, apparently in Marcus' case, have a good income too.  Because he's such a catch, right!  LOL.  Get over yourself, Marcus.  AS IF.

December 5, 2007, 2:56 pm CST

Jeez, have a heart!

Quote From: shmigelz

I do have some questions/issues with this 'so called' 4.0 student who is also a math tudor. If someone is so smart and so intelligent, then how could she be 'lured' by someone who is a sexual predator? I guess I just have trouble putting the peices together, because is someone is very smart, very bright, very quick, very ahead of the game so to speak, then wouldn't she have ANY idea of what she is getting involved in? Not only that BUT WHY is a straight A student, with a 4.0 GPA, seems like a nice, attractive woman, EVEN doing on a website like that, BUT more then that AGREEING to meet someone who she has never met before????? and THEN get on the back of a motorbike with that person?????????????

Am I the only person who is having this problem or seeing this issue????? I know we dont appear to have all the facts of the issues at hand but still.. I dunno but it just seems that common sense should prevail here, especially with someone who is smart, ahead of the game, etc, etc, etc.....

Am I wrong here?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. The facts are, this girl is missing, her family is devastated, it's been four months. Who gives a rat's patootie about the "facts" to which you are referrin'?

December 5, 2007, 2:59 pm CST

academic sence

Quote From: shmigelz

I do have some questions/issues with this 'so called' 4.0 student who is also a math tudor. If someone is so smart and so intelligent, then how could she be 'lured' by someone who is a sexual predator? I guess I just have trouble putting the peices together, because is someone is very smart, very bright, very quick, very ahead of the game so to speak, then wouldn't she have ANY idea of what she is getting involved in? Not only that BUT WHY is a straight A student, with a 4.0 GPA, seems like a nice, attractive woman, EVEN doing on a website like that, BUT more then that AGREEING to meet someone who she has never met before????? and THEN get on the back of a motorbike with that person?????????????

Am I the only person who is having this problem or seeing this issue????? I know we dont appear to have all the facts of the issues at hand but still.. I dunno but it just seems that common sense should prevail here, especially with someone who is smart, ahead of the game, etc, etc, etc.....

Am I wrong here?

academic excellence does not mean they have common or street sense. Common and street sense are the traits you have that can help you spot predators and trouble ahead. AND that doesn't always work either. Young girls  and boys are   charmed by men or women who seem to "get them". Even tho they are really just using whatever it will take to lure them as prey. So....yes even a woman/girl who has a 4.0 and is a math tutor can be lured by someone who is predatory.

December 5, 2007, 2:59 pm CST

The Justice System

How typical of a scorned woman.  Cheating is wrong.  But having the court produce a restraining order to keep him 500 feet away is just disgusting behavior.  And she says their children are in pain. Duh?  What he did was wrong.  What she did is evil.  Who is she to keep him away from his kids?  She should be punished in court for falsely accusing him of whatever it was to make the court honor her request for the bogus court order.  She admitted that they both violated the order several times.   This is one of the many reasons that men are so screwed over in the courts and have Fatherhood, REAL FATHERHOOD taken away or shot down to be just a special visitor and a paycheck.  These women choose to lie to the courts to get even with a man even if it hurts their children.  How evil it is!  This is a horrible epidemic in this so called country called America.  This country and the court systems are detroying our families.  Many women help to destroy our families as well.   And why is it that the Dr. Phil show puts her in the studio and not him?  Maybe she should be in the remote location and him on the stage.

Dr. Phil suggests that he has a long way to go.  What about her and her actions?  She has some ownership in the situation as well.  She's no saint.  She has proved that by being untruthful  in court.  So the truth is not that important to her either.  Getting even is not honorable.  being evil is not good.  Revenge has hurt her kids. Shame on her.  Shame on him too but we still did not hear about all that was going on that may have pushed him to cheat.

December 5, 2007, 3:03 pm CST

Rho, Rho, RHODESHIA!!!

Wake up.  She has been away from him to long she is getting weak if she considers taking him back.  I hope she watches the tape of the show to see exactly what he is saying.  She can do much better.  Did anybody notice that Marcus never said why "He" wants to get back with her?  He never said anything nice about her. 

December 5, 2007, 3:05 pm CST

12/05 Internet Dangers

How typical of a scorned woman.  Cheating is wrong.  But having the court produce a restraining order to keep him 500 feet away is just disgusting behavior.  And she says their children are in pain. Duh?  What he did was wrong.  What she did is evil.  Who is she to keep him away from his kids?  She should be punished in court for falsely accusing him of whatever it was to make the court honor her request for the bogus court order.  She admitted that they both violated the order several times.   This is one of the many reasons that men are so screwed over in the courts and have Fatherhood, REAL FATHERHOOD taken away or shot down to be just a special visitor and a paycheck.  These women choose to lie to the courts to get even with a man even if it hurts their children.  How evil it is!  This is a horrible epidemic in this so called country called America.  This country and the court systems are detroying our families.  Many women help to destroy our families as well.   And why is it that the Dr. Phil show puts her in the studio and not him?  Maybe she should be in the remote location and him on the stage.

Dr. Phil suggests that he has a long way to go.  What about her and her actions?  She has some ownership in the situation as well.  She's no saint.  She has proved that by being untruthful  in court.  So the truth is not that important to her either.  Getting even is not honorable.  being evil is not good.  Revenge has hurt her kids. Shame on her.  Shame on him too but we still did not hear about all that was going on that may have pushed him to cheat.

December 5, 2007, 3:06 pm CST

My heart is broken for that family.

Quote From: nasale

I noticed that there's not much said about the missing girl but I guess that's because there's very little that anyone can say. If nothing else, I hope that it makes a few others  open their eyes.It's not safe to go with someone they've 'met'  on line. I know it works for some, but they are the lucky ones. I know everyone wishes that this girl will come home safe&sound but it doesn't look good. How sad :-(

Yes, nasale, I noticed that too. I guess you're right, what can we say? I know I feel helpless to be able to help them. Maybe it will open someone's eyes. So sad :-(

December 5, 2007, 3:17 pm CST

Internet Dangers?!

Ok unless we are talking about viruses, malware, spy-ware, and other assorted technological problems, the phrase 'Internet Dangers' should never be uttered.  It is blatant fear mongering (that, quite frankly, this show should be above)  over something that isn't a problem.   The Internet is no more or less dangerous then life in general, and you take the same precautions.  What we call 'Internet danger' is scapegoat for people's own stupidity.   The Internet does not make people cheat on their spouses, the Internet does not kidnap people, the Internet does not stalk people or solicit children.   People do that and people have been doing that long before the invention of the Internet. 

What I find to be more of a problem,  that no one seems willing to address, is the idea the Internet is the fantasy land populated by nothing more then figments of our imagination.   People refuse to recognize that there are real people who type the words that we read.  They do not magically appear out of the ether.   However because this idea is such in infectious meme  people are completely divorced from the consequences of their own actions.   The only time anyone pays attention is when, through their own stupid behavior, they are faced with the inevitable consequences.  

Instead of fear mongering, why not explain the basic concepts of information hygiene.     Rather then teaching children to be afraid of shadows, teach how to cope with a flow information.  You don't give out your real information.   There is no reason why any web page, blog, or profile should ever have you're real name.    However since the Internet is such a convenient scapegoat and our society is addicted to fear at the moment, I highly doubt that anything resembling reason will ever make it on air.

December 5, 2007, 3:25 pm CST

once a cheater, always a cheater

Marcus is a coward and a cheater. if his wife takes him back she is a fool. He wouldn't even admit to his responsibility in his affair. His wife had nothing to do with it. In my opinion once you cheat you will always cheat. I wouldn't trust him again with or without therapy.

December 5, 2007, 3:26 pm CST

Simma downnow blowincol!

Quote From: blowlincol

You gotta point. Only thing is, Marcus didn't seem real concerned about the kids. Fugetabout "all that was going on that may have pushed him to cheat". "Pushed him to cheat"? Do you REALLY think that way? He cheated because he had no respect for himself, his wife and his 3 kids. Did something like this happen to you to make you post this message? I agree, a father should not be kept from his kids unless he is a danger to them. Kids need thier dads in thier lives, divorce or not.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last