Message Boards

Topic : 12/05 Internet Dangers

Number of Replies: 101
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 30, 2007, 01:42:12 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You don’t think twice when logging on to the Internet to shop for household items, chat with relatives and buy movie tickets, but surfing the net can have dangerous consequences. Donna Jou made headlines when she disappeared five months ago. The straight A-student was last seen in the company of John Burgess, a convicted sex offender whom police believe she met on Craigslist. Donna’s family is outraged that Burgess isn’t behind bars, and her mom, Nili, makes an impassioned plea for her safe return. Their attorney, Gloria Allred, brings Dr. Phil up to speed on this tragic case. Then, Marcus and Rhodesia were married for eight years and had three kids, but that didn’t stop Marcus from having an affair with a woman he met on MySpace. Marcus says Rhodesia drove him to cheat because she let herself go. The ink has barely dried on their divorce papers, but Marcus and Rhodesia are already thinking about reconciling. Can Marcus change, or should Rhodesia thank her lucky stars that she’s out of this marriage? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 30, 2007, 2:15 pm CST

de jevu

My daughter went through the same internet thing with her husband. They made it thru the ordeal, but not without scars.

December 1, 2007, 10:34 am CST

yikes

First these pedos need to be locked up in jail instead of on the pcs trying to smag kids or unsuspecting males or females. Then as far as the online affair goes that guy is a jerk. The wife was right to divorce him and if she had any brains she'd stay away because if she doesn't then that gives him the thinking hey I can get away with this and he'll do it again.

December 1, 2007, 11:43 am CST

Is it worth it

I feel like it is o.k. to go onto the internet and talk to people.  If you decide to met some one it could ruin your realtionship with your partern and children.   If you are willing to lose alot that is the chance you will have to take.

December 1, 2007, 2:00 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show

Danger Doctor Internet Phil. Well Well  Well here we go again another  one bite the dust. What are you------

talking about Doctor Phil? Nothing wrong with the internet as far as I can see unliess one of the kids start

playing with Http://WWW.MySpace.Com then your kids were get into trouble. See you on Wednesday Dec-

ember 05th, 2007. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------------------------------------

December 1, 2007, 6:21 pm CST

I HATE CRAIG'S LIST

MY HUSBAND GOT ON CRAIG'S LIST CASUAL ENCOUNTERS . HE E-MAILED HIS CELL PHONE NUMBER IN RESPONSE TO AN ADD HE SAW POSTED THERE. WE HAD BEEN MARRIED ONLY A YEAR AND HE CLAIMS HE WAS "CURIOUS". A 46 YEAR OLD MAN ISN'T CURIOUS. HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING BUT DIDN'T THINK HE WOULD GET CAUGHT BY HIS WIFE WHO DOESN'T HAVE MUCH EXPERIENCE ON COMPUTERS. WRONG! I WISH I COULD GET IN THE  FACE OF CRAIG AND ASK HIM WHY HE WOULD ALLOW SUCH HORRIBLE THINGS TO BE POSTED ON HIS WEBSIGHT. IT DESTROYS FAMILIES!  I WISH THERE WAS A WAY TO SUE CRAIG'S LIST FOR THE PAIN HIS LIST HAS COST ME. TRUE HE DIDN'T TWIST MY HUSBANDS ARM BUT HOW CAN ANYONE THINK THIS IS OKAY AND ALLOW THEIR NAME TO BE ASSSOCIATED  WITH IT.  

December 1, 2007, 8:01 pm CST

once a cheater always a cheater

I beleive that once a person cheats on their partner and get away with it they will do it again until the other

person says enough is enough and files for a divorce and moves on with their life

December 2, 2007, 3:48 pm CST

Internet Dangers

There needs to be a seperate designation for people who simply use the Internet and those who ACT from the Internet.  It is my understanding that just reading/surfing information can be safely done on the Internet, as long as you do not reveal personal information. That's easy to do.  It is when someone gives personal information or meets another person from the computer world that danger can occur.  A logical, thinking person knows to stay away from what is potentionaly unsafe.  The mentality of someone who dares merge computer with real world relationships needs to be addressed.

December 3, 2007, 3:44 am CST

Children and adults were getting into trouble long before the Internet!

People forget that these things happened through  pen-pal clubs and lonely hearts columns a century ago!

If you don't keep an eye on your kids, or if you married a jerk to start with, don't blame it on the net!

December 3, 2007, 3:50 pm CST

Internet Dangers

As a member of Southern California Fraud Investigators Association we hold training conferences each year.  Recently we had a session on Internet Predators with a live demonstration.  I will simply describe the training as the most emotional and frightening I have ever experienced.  The speaker logged onto an internet chat room as a 14 year old girl.  Without entering any message at all she started receiving invitations to chat.  He replied in an innocent manner and received obsene solicitations.

Parents who think their children are not at risk are wrong.  Any internet usage and especially chat should as closely monitored as if you were taking your child into a prison with direct contact possible with persons incarcerated for predatory behavior.

BEWARE AND BE CAUTIOUS

December 4, 2007, 4:38 am CST

Internet dangers 12/05

Quote From: luvmydog1

MY HUSBAND GOT ON CRAIG'S LIST CASUAL ENCOUNTERS . HE E-MAILED HIS CELL PHONE NUMBER IN RESPONSE TO AN ADD HE SAW POSTED THERE. WE HAD BEEN MARRIED ONLY A YEAR AND HE CLAIMS HE WAS "CURIOUS". A 46 YEAR OLD MAN ISN'T CURIOUS. HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING BUT DIDN'T THINK HE WOULD GET CAUGHT BY HIS WIFE WHO DOESN'T HAVE MUCH EXPERIENCE ON COMPUTERS. WRONG! I WISH I COULD GET IN THE  FACE OF CRAIG AND ASK HIM WHY HE WOULD ALLOW SUCH HORRIBLE THINGS TO BE POSTED ON HIS WEBSIGHT. IT DESTROYS FAMILIES!  I WISH THERE WAS A WAY TO SUE CRAIG'S LIST FOR THE PAIN HIS LIST HAS COST ME. TRUE HE DIDN'T TWIST MY HUSBANDS ARM BUT HOW CAN ANYONE THINK THIS IS OKAY AND ALLOW THEIR NAME TO BE ASSSOCIATED  WITH IT.  

Craigs List is not responsible for what your husband did.  In my opinion, you need to put the blame where it belongs and that is on your husband.  If he hasn't taken responsibility for his actions, he might consider doing so.  I'm not sticking up for Craigs List.  They provide lots of services and unfortunately your husband chose the wrong service.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last