Message Boards

Topic : 12/07 A Killer Among Us

Number of Replies: 291
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 04:09:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Every nine seconds a woman is battered in the United States. More shocking is that 50 percent of all women murdered in the U.S. are killed by a spouse or an acquaintance. Dr. Phil goes inside a story that has captured national attention for over a month. In this ripped-from-the-headlines show he delves into the events surrounding the disappearance of 23-year old Stacy Peterson, mother of two, and wife of Drew Peterson. Attorney Lisa Bloom, and Drew’s former fiancée, Kyle Piry, weigh in on this mysterious case. Is Drew involved in his fourth wife's disappearance, or did his wife really leave him for another man, as he claims? Then, meet another couple in crisis. Amanda says she lives in fear of her husband, Chris. She says he abuses her and she worries one day he will go too far, but she stays in the marriage anyway. Amanda's mother, Debby, thinks her daughter is living in denial and fears she will end up like Laci Peterson. Chris admits to being abusive but wants to try and salvage the relationship. You won't believe Chris' mother, Cheryl’s, explanation for his behavior!  And, Kim Gandy, the president of the National Organization for Women joins Dr. Phil with some startling domestic violence statistics and teaches victims how to develop an escape plan. If you live in fear of your spouse, this show just might save your life. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 9, 2007, 7:48 pm CST

who's protecting the children?

If this mother is alive she would do everything in her power to make contact with her kid's which she hasn't , so the chances of her being alive are very remote. I personally work in the field of domestic violence and unfortunately it usually takes women three or four times of leaving their abuser before they are emotionally ready to take any sort of legal protection against their abusive partners for fear of them carrying out their threats. My belief is that if children are taken into care when there is abuse in their homes and the parents have to prove that the risk of abuse is no longer an issue before they are returned to their homes, then it may give mum's the incentive to leave earlier for fear of losing their children. My heart goes out to the children of this mum and her parents who could do nothing to protect their daughter.

December 10, 2007, 12:07 am CST

Something to read:

Quote From: foreverblue

I believe that you are very brave and your Poem sums it up.Anny man that lays his hands on a woman or the other way should get help and if that doesn't help get out. I did 27 years ago and just recently my  first husband admitted he had spanked our son to hard.My son ended up in the hospital.To my knowledge after 7 years of an abusive marriage, the last straw.You don't lay your hands on our son.He left I had just enlisted in the Air Force and I had a career and safety for my son and myself.For 7 years"Why do you make me do this?" I had no answer. He never hit me when he was on drugs or when he drank.That is what I couldn't understand. Withdrawals.I thank God that today I know he is my Strength. My sister and I were just talking and the abuse we both put up with/Physical and Mental lead us later on in life to buy Love gifts to men for no reason.The cycle has to stop.And with Gods help it is.God Bless and Watch Over all Woman is my prayer.Men are suppose to Love support and protect us.Help all Generations to Stop The Physical and Mental abuse. God Bless All of You on This Message Board and your Mothers and Sister/Aunts all Woman.Amen

Both you and your sister should read the book, "Women Who Love Too Much" by Robin Norwood.  I just finished it and it helps us understand why we choose the men that we do.  And also has a program for "recovery" of this very damaging relationship habit.

God Bless you too.

December 10, 2007, 12:54 am CST

Agree!

Quote From: sabbathlily

Dr. Phil you are normally my homeboy but today I just can't figure out where your head is. It doesn't take a psyD to know that the man featured on your show has the most serious, dangerous and alarming problems I have ever seen grace your stage. The simple fact that he is cruel to animals should be have a big DING DING DING. I wonder if he ever wet the bed? Who knows what the hell he did has a child and what he can do as an adult. You were easy on him partner. Why weren't the authorites called just in case he decides to finish it in the hotel room?

Ugh. I hope this man gets help and I hope his wife gets their child far, far away from him and his subserviant , passive agressive mother!

Dr Phil actually confronted this poor abuse victim about HER "bad" behavior in saying things to provoke this criminal act!  GET REAL, Dr. Phil!  Abuse is NOT about anything that a victim "makes" an abuser do!  His choice to beat his wife are his own.  NOT her fault!  Allowing him to shift the blame from himself is enabling his continued abuse!  And on national TV too!  Shame on YOU!

And I agree with the previous poster who said the perpetrator's mother should get her head on straight too!  Saying that he wouldn't treat his wife this way if she was "perfect little wifey" and had his hot dinner waiting for his return to a spotless home!  He could still find a reason to hurl that good food across the kitchen at his wife, and excuse his behavior saying she's a bad cook! 

Amanda:  get out now!  Take your daughter and save your lives!   Chris is NOT going the change as long as he keeps shifting the blame for his abuse to you or anyone else!

And listen to your smart mom.   You do not need to stay in this abuse because of your child.  Rather, you need to get out for her sake and for her healthy future.

December 10, 2007, 4:04 am CST

Mommy's Little Bully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote From: millsy99

...And on his mother!  I think this guy's attitudes are probably related to being raised by a mother who, when questioned about her son's actions, says "I wonder what was done to provoke him?'  Dr. Phil usually says something to the effect of, "no matter what the woman does, you don't use violence to retaliate....use your two feet and get the heck out of there."  But for some reason, he was a real softie on this guy.  This Chris character is just another man in our culture who doesn't understand it's NEVER okay to hit a girl or woman NO MATTER WHAT SHE HAS DONE!!  If more parents would drill that into their sons' heads this problem would diminish greatly.  I'm disappointed in you, Dr. Phil!!

Mommy's Little Bully,

You knew he was a bully when he was a kid.  And how many people (teachers, neighbors, friends, family members, clergy, etc.) ignored it or let him get by with bullying??? Now look what society has, and mommy's still babying him.

Mommy, some day you may have to depend on his care, at home, in private, behind closed doors.  Yes you!  And then I guarantee you'll get a taste of the abuse he's really capable of.  And then maybe you'll believe what a monster you created.

The SCHOOL BULLY grows up to be the boyfriend and husband.

STOP BULLYING NOW!

TAKE BULLYING SERIOUSLY.

Once a bully is allowed to keep bullying people, this behavior is then ingrained in their personality by the time they become an adult. 

For help, call or memorize this number: 

Talk to an advocate about abuse and how to get out safely.

National Domestic Violence Hotline:   1 - 800 - 799 - 7233 (safe)

NDVH.org

Good Luck & Peace.

December 10, 2007, 4:48 am CST

Drew Peterson

I have been following this situation since it began (October 29th), sadly, I don't believe for one minute that Stacy Peterson is alive.

By all accounts this young gal was a good mother, not just to her own small children (2 and 4), but she had also adopted the teenaged children of the woman Drew had been married to before her....after she 'mysteriously' died in a bathtub. Actually Drew Peterson's alibi for the night Kathleen Savio apparently hit her head (in a rounded bathtub) and died..was/is Stacy herself...alas she isn't here anymore to confirm or deny that.

Drew Peterson has been a police officer for almost 30 years, there is no doubt in my mind that he has picked up some fairly good pointers on how to get rid of a body without detection. But I do not believe that there is anything that can be considered a 'perfect crime', it may take a long time but the truth will prevail.

Honestly? I believe that many avenues that the police are following have been set up by Drew to distract from what he actually did do with Stacy...in the end I think his arrogant attitude is going to be his downfall.

It is the children that I feel for in this case, I don't believe that Stacy is 'suffering' anymore...but those poor kids are going to need to serious help to deal with this in their coming years.

I so wish that Stacy would have been able to leave that home with those 4 children before Drew knew what was happening..I don't believe for a second that he was ever going to allow her to do that.

Rest In Peace Stacy...someday there will indeed be justice for you.

December 10, 2007, 7:56 am CST

12/07 A Killer Among Us

Quote From: ramair

I wish reincarnation were real. Just to see Chris "return" as a mouse. In a room full of hungry cats!
LOL I agree with you

December 10, 2007, 3:51 pm CST

National Domestic Violence Hotline---1-800-799-7233

Call for resources, information, and referrals for information on Domestic Violence.

If you are a victim or survivor of DV, or a family member or friend, call the NDVH for helpful information.

The call is confidential and anonymous. 

NDVH.org

National  Domestic  Violence  Hotline

1  -  800  -  799  -  7233  (safe)

Peace!

December 10, 2007, 7:56 pm CST

abusers

it really made my blood boil when the guys mom acted like maybe he wasnt damaged goods.

My sons dad was like that then one day his mom told me to run before it was too late and i did only to be shunned and abused for my decision.

The mothers have to realize that there sons need help.

Men who abuse women are low life scumb and need to feel the wrath of a violent women right back in there face.

It is an awfulreality that so many woman all over the world deal with this on a daily basis .

It is a serious issue that needs to be addressed more often so maybe we can educate our young and woman wont deal with it as maybe we have.

December 11, 2007, 4:47 pm CST

if you don't like the truth ignore it

Quote From: shellbusack

That is like saying that ppl do not stop drinking or doing drugs are weak as well......NO IT TAKES STRENGTH EVERYDAY!

Ignorance is bliss .... that is what I say to you! 

Going to meetings, counsling and admitting that you have a problem takes alot more

guts then pretending it is all ok and leaving it stay the same. Letting your children see the abuse, and

doing nothing about it!

I faced the problem, found the solution, made a plan, worked hard at it, and live it everyday!

Do not compare me to your mother when you do not know me or how I live.......

Yea I've heard your sob story that's what all the women who make excuses to stay say...I notice you say "I faced the problem" and not "we" so that proves my point.    my own mother  has heard all of her children tell her that It does affect the kids.

lady some of us like me turn out to have happy family's and the rest end up in abusive relationships or addicted to drugs that's not a chance any woman with half a brain should give to her children.We need to stop raising young men who think it is OK to abuse women. We need to make sure our daughters are raised as strong young women who are well educated so that they do not feel stuck.  I have earned the right to say my peace about people like you who choose to stay and throw their kids under the bus! if you don't like it ignore it I'm sure you have plenty of practice at that.

December 11, 2007, 11:28 pm CST

A good post....

Quote From: ontiptoe

Dr Phil actually confronted this poor abuse victim about HER "bad" behavior in saying things to provoke this criminal act!  GET REAL, Dr. Phil!  Abuse is NOT about anything that a victim "makes" an abuser do!  His choice to beat his wife are his own.  NOT her fault!  Allowing him to shift the blame from himself is enabling his continued abuse!  And on national TV too!  Shame on YOU!

And I agree with the previous poster who said the perpetrator's mother should get her head on straight too!  Saying that he wouldn't treat his wife this way if she was "perfect little wifey" and had his hot dinner waiting for his return to a spotless home!  He could still find a reason to hurl that good food across the kitchen at his wife, and excuse his behavior saying she's a bad cook! 

Amanda:  get out now!  Take your daughter and save your lives!   Chris is NOT going the change as long as he keeps shifting the blame for his abuse to you or anyone else!

And listen to your smart mom.   You do not need to stay in this abuse because of your child.  Rather, you need to get out for her sake and for her healthy future.

A good post here, I conquer.

Thank you.

First | Prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | Next | Last