Message Boards

Topic : 01/08 Cyber Bullies

Number of Replies: 804
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 04, 2008, 02:07:51 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You've heard the saying, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” But what happens when someone posts malicious comments about you on the Internet? This trend, known as e-vengeance or cyber bullying, can have deadly consequences. Thirteen-year-old Megan Meier committed suicide after being taunted on MySpace by “Josh,” whom she believed to be a cute teenage boy. Unbeknownst to her parents, Ron and Tina, Josh’s profile was fake, which they believe was created by an adult neighbor to monitor Megan. Was this a case of freedom of speech, or harassment? A state senator proposing anti-cyber-bullying legislation and a First Amendment attorney weigh in. Then, Colorado councilwoman Sandy Tucker made national headlines when she posted a controversial joke online. When the mayor asked her to remove remarks he considered offensive, Sandy refused and then resigned. She doesn't feel the need to apologize and says people need to lighten up. Holly lives in Sandy's town, and joins the show via Web cam to tell the former councilwoman why the joke is no laughing matter. Plus, meet a man who says he's constantly taunted by racist slurs while playing Xbox Live. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 8, 2008, 8:00 am CST

Interesting Show

On the girl that took her own life. Although the myspace may have had some impact, I think this girl had far deeper problems then just being bullied on the internet. She did have the option to stop going to that page and could could have deleted it.

The "joke" has been published in several places, it's not new. I thought in was in bad taste we I first saw it months ago and still do. There are enough forces tearing the wonderful country apart without this type of humor.

Lastly. I think your guest that was offended playing online games should get a grip. I've been playing online since 1997. MMO's mostly. There are always those who will bully you or make threats. Big deal. What are they going to do? Google will not give your account #'s or anything of the like. The only way players can find out about you is if you tell them.

Have are my rules for Cyberspace:

1. I never give anyone in a game my real name.

2. I never discuss my private or family life in any shape, form, or fashion.

3. I never tell anyone where I'm from, not even country.

It has been my experience people who bully are very young, feel they have no control over their personal lives and have very few real life friends. These people always tend to define their lives by the Avatars they play. For most of them reality is not an option, because real life is to painful. Setting behind a keyboard or console gives them power they don't otherwise have.

January 8, 2008, 8:02 am CST

cyber bullying

Cyber bullying should not be allowed.  In my town, the schools will not tolerate bullying in school, outside on school grounds, on the bus or at the bus stop.  If it happens, the school will notify the parents and possibly suspend the child if it isn't stopped.  There are other sites on the computer that children frequent and can talk to other children and if they type anything unexceptable they are banned from the site for a short period. 

There should be people to keep an eye on My Space sites and if they see any type of bullying they should be banned from the site.  There is a way to see their ip address, isn't there?  That way they cannot get back on the site with a different user name.  Kids can be really mean to each other.  It's been like that for many years.  I tell my children to just ignore these ignorant children.  I tell them their mean because they probably have other problems in their life. 

We do not let our children have a computer in their bedroom.  We have it in our livingroom and I can look over their shoulder whenever I want.  My 16 year old hates that but I'm the parent and I will not tolerate anything that is unacceptable on our computer. 

January 8, 2008, 8:07 am CST

cyber bullying

Quote From: garysheart

I don't know what it's like to be bullied. I do think it's wrong, especially if it's happening more than once. Legal action should be taken. I think that if they complain more than once, Microsoft should take action against this person. I think that to a certain point there should be right of speach online, and on games, but then when it comes to where it's threatining, that should not be tolerated. I hope that everyone who's being bullied on these games takes some sort of action. Maybe microsoft should put up a block on people who have bullied people more than once.
I agree with you.  My message will be posted soon.  Dr. Phil's show today was very informative.  I hope all parents keep an eye on their children when they are on-line either playing games or just texting.  We are the parents and have the right to make sure our children our safe from this behavior.

January 8, 2008, 8:16 am CST

Xbox Live is NOT a bad place.

My post concerns the Xbox Live segment.  I am a member of Xbox Live.  I have been for over a year.  I have several friends that have been apart of the community from its infancy.  I wouldn't cancel my membership for the world.

I do have to admit that there are a ton of bullies that frequent every online game.  But there are a few simple fixes that EVERY person can do to keep from being harassed by these bullies.  For one, you can block communications from ANY user.  Say there is someone that is being outrageous in one of your online matches, you can go to their profile and block the user and all communications.  The person on the show today could have easily ignored these bullies and blocked them as well.  The problem is solved.

I can't tell you how many times someone has bullied me, but it is so easy to ignore said person.  Bullies are powerless if you don't react.  I seriously doubt that the man on this show didn't provoke these bullies whatsoever.

Plus there is no reason a 5 year old should be playing a Teen Rated Game online anyways.  I would never let my child play with those kind of people.  You have to be a certain age to get an account for a reason.

This guy was completely overreacting.

January 8, 2008, 8:25 am CST

Cyber Bullies

I went into chat rooms as research to find out why so many of my customers were having problems with viruses and such. I was shocked to see how people could react without knowing someone. What I saw was no doubt cruel and unusual, but I had to keep in mind that I had a choice I could leave the room or I could ignore the ingnorance. We don't always need the government to take control, we need to learn to control ourselves. We all know what is right and what is not. The gentleman that wants Microsoft to be involved must understand that just because the company sells the game console they can not be held responsible for what people playing choose to do. We have a need to make people accountable for their actions, but the reality is that in time if people continue to be ingnorant and show it they will eventually take care of themselves.

There are a lot of people who are keeping tabs on this issue. The problem is that the issue is much bigger than any government. There are also a lot of bogus cases and people who turn people in as cyber bullies that really aren't. You can't convict someone unless you have difinitive proof they are committing or have committed the crime. The best way to combat this is to use our heads and train our children in what to look for so they don't get reeled into this game. I really admire snopes.com because they seek answers to bust some of the internet myth. It is through education that we can effectively combat this kind of bullying. If someone will not take down a post when asked then there are ways to have it  taken down. If a person is comfortable with themselves then they can laugh at this and just walk away. It is through entertaining these bullies that we get caught up in their game. My crusade is to quit entertaining this kind of act and don't believe everything on the internet. This is simple to remedy, we just have to learn to use the tools we have to stay away from it.

January 8, 2008, 8:27 am CST

01/08 Cyber Bullies

Quote From: chevysrme

I agree with everything on this episode except the man that was crying about being harrassed while playing video games  If you have a problem with someone on XBox Live then you  can block all communications from that gamer.  You can also choose to avoid that gamer for all future games.  As far as his kids playing online he needs to be a responsible parent and set up an underage account for his children.  It blocks all communication from other users except for friends added to his childrens list which the parent will need to enter a password.  XBox Live automatically sets parental controls an all accounts that the birth date does not equal 18.  So if the parent chooses to lie on their kids birthdate then he is to blame.  One more thing.  There is no way that an individual can find out your exact address on XBox Live or by looking up your Gamer Tag from Google.

Thank you for bringing this up.  I also have a post similar to yours.

This guy is completely unreasonable thinking that these bullies will hunt him down.  It's just some internet low life that only says these things because he's in the safety of his own home.

January 8, 2008, 8:32 am CST

Manslaughter

Quote From: dmsamom

I agree with you.  My message will be posted soon.  Dr. Phil's show today was very informative.  I hope all parents keep an eye on their children when they are on-line either playing games or just texting.  We are the parents and have the right to make sure our children our safe from this behavior.
 I beleive the people who created the Josh Evans on myspace, should be charged with manslaughter.  The same as one would be if they were driving a car carelessly and caused the death of another, because of their careless actions.

January 8, 2008, 8:34 am CST

01/08 Cyber Bullies

Quote From: wrjarrell

On the girl that took her own life. Although the myspace may have had some impact, I think this girl had far deeper problems then just being bullied on the internet. She did have the option to stop going to that page and could could have deleted it.

The "joke" has been published in several places, it's not new. I thought in was in bad taste we I first saw it months ago and still do. There are enough forces tearing the wonderful country apart without this type of humor.

Lastly. I think your guest that was offended playing online games should get a grip. I've been playing online since 1997. MMO's mostly. There are always those who will bully you or make threats. Big deal. What are they going to do? Google will not give your account #'s or anything of the like. The only way players can find out about you is if you tell them.

Have are my rules for Cyberspace:

1. I never give anyone in a game my real name.

2. I never discuss my private or family life in any shape, form, or fashion.

3. I never tell anyone where I'm from, not even country.

It has been my experience people who bully are very young, feel they have no control over their personal lives and have very few real life friends. These people always tend to define their lives by the Avatars they play. For most of them reality is not an option, because real life is to painful. Setting behind a keyboard or console gives them power they don't otherwise have.

U know the  internet for sure!

I am on Youtube  allot and none of  us give out too much, especially the art community and directors/producers. We call the people/youth who haunt/taunt/swear and use the profanity and could absolutely hurt someone who had emotional issues .. TROLLS or HATERS.

A guess, but, they run in average age from 12-25 years of age and as you said do not have many friends ,if any at all and very angry at the world PROBABLY*

I still believe that a kid should not be on a computer without a parent in sight knowing what the child is doing at all times. Stay off the internet , period. I keep my 14 year old off it totally, except for homework with me in the room helping. Other than that.. lock down.

January 8, 2008, 8:35 am CST

Turn it Off!! Boy that's a novel idea huh???

Quote From: chevysrme

I agree with everything on this episode except the man that was crying about being harrassed while playing video games  If you have a problem with someone on XBox Live then you  can block all communications from that gamer.  You can also choose to avoid that gamer for all future games.  As far as his kids playing online he needs to be a responsible parent and set up an underage account for his children.  It blocks all communication from other users except for friends added to his childrens list which the parent will need to enter a password.  XBox Live automatically sets parental controls an all accounts that the birth date does not equal 18.  So if the parent chooses to lie on their kids birthdate then he is to blame.  One more thing.  There is no way that an individual can find out your exact address on XBox Live or by looking up your Gamer Tag from Google.

For the guy getting called names while playing video games...  If you make the decision to stay on there and play, then you make the decision for other people to say stuff to you.  If you don't like it, TURN IT OFF... 

At least you are smart enough to not let your children play any more...

January 8, 2008, 8:42 am CST

Souns like Cyber Terrorism to me

If I were this child's parents I would continue to press all involved to the fullest extent of the current and future laws.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last