Message Boards

Topic : 06/25 "What's Age Got to Do with It?"

Number of Replies: 207
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 04, 2008, 02:11:13 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/10/08) As we age, we want to continue to feel and look young, but it helps to know a few secrets. Dr. Phil is joined by his wife, Robin, who reveals her tips for looking younger, feeling better and getting slimmer. She uses resources from her personal Rolodex to make over five moms who say they appear and feel older than they should. After visiting with a personal trainer, consulting with a skin care expert and working hard for a few weeks, the women are rewarded with a surprise trip to Robin's house. Find out the special gifts she presents to them. Then, Robin is joined by her daughter-in-law, Erica, and fashion guru Cojo for a shopping trip at L.A.'s popular store, Kitson, where she shows how to create hip, youthful looks for any age. With Cojo's help, Robin picks out outfits for the five women, and they reveal their new looks to their family members for the first time on Dr. Phil's stage! Don't miss Cojo's solutions for dressing disasters that add decades to your looks. Join the discussion.

In case you missed the article, click here for Robin's Budget Beauty Secrets that are inexpensive and can be made at home.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 27, 2008, 12:54 pm CDT

06/25 "What's Age Got to Do with It?"

Quote From: fideliscat

I  missed the part about how to lose 18 inches in 5 weeks. Could someone please fill me in on what was said during that part.
You didn't miss anything. There was no part about losing 18 inches in 5 weeks. I think Robin's quests did so, but we weren't told how. I'd suggest going to the home page for this show and try Dr Phil's links to further information on this topic. And, check out his Ultimate Weight Loss Solution book. It's a valuable resource. One of the best I've read on weight problems.

June 27, 2008, 1:22 pm CDT

Quote From: dbc1313

I was eagerly awaiting this show when I first saw the previews because it was about a topic close to my heart.  I'm 54, menopausal, and at many times, feeling frumpy, so this show interested me greatly.  However, I was disappointed to learn that everything discussed needed a lot of money to fix!  We're not all rich enough to go to spas to feel and look better; or to shop at Saks Fifth Ave.  The only discussion regarding hot flashes and night sweats was that Robin had taken the woman to a doctor.  Well what did he do for her?  My doctor will not put me on hormone replacement therapy and doesn't even like that I buy an over-the-counter product for it.  I have more than a dozen hot flashes during the day and as many at night.  The show didn't give me any information that would help.

All the products that were used were very expensive.  There were no suggestions on which products a regular person could buy at their local stores.  Which inexpensive product should we look for?  Should we be looking for a particular product with certain ingredients?

What can an everyday, single income, middle-aged woman do to improve her looks without having to go to spas?

My final impression of the show when it was over was that it was more of an endorsement for products and businesses than it was to help people.  Did anyone else feel this way?

I feel this way.
This show seemed more a product endorsement than anthing else. Businesses advertise their goods and services in many ways. Including donating them to talk show quests and audiences. It's more cost-efftective than buying expensive air-time for a commercial that many viewers, including myself, would just "mute" or "fast-forward" through.

June 27, 2008, 1:29 pm CDT

Quote From: eviejo

First I'm surprised at some of the posts I've read,  I think a lot of the women missed the point of the show.  The point was taking care of yourself as a woman/mother/wife, etc.  I'm lucky woman #4, Evelyn.  Yes, I lost 18 inches in 5 weeks and I will tell you, it took a lot of work and commitment on my part.  The best thing I could do for myself was the rapid start weight loss that you can find in Robert Reames' book.  I had to change the way I was living my life and no one else could do that for me, not Dr. Phil and not Robin.  We were all very fortunate to have a top notch team of experts in their fields working with us and providing wonderful goods and services.  I can NOT afford these things in my life.  I am a single mom with a daughter in a private university, one who recently had a baby and a 13 year old still at home.  What I can tell you is this: it doesn't cost money to eat better, it doesn't cost money to take a walk around the block and it doesn't cost money to take the time to do these things for yourself.  Even if you can't afford a gym membership, Robert's book has some great exercises that you can do at home with a minimal amount of investment for some small hand weights and a balance ball.  Again, the point is to take time to care for yourself so you can care for your families.  Robin's first book did a great job of driving that point home.  I know I am one of those moms that tries to do it all, and the end result was that I let myself go.  But now I know I have to take care of me and I will continue to do so.
Probably one of the most valuable weight loss resources is Dr Phil's Ultimate Weight Loss Solution book. There are thousands of "diet" books out there, but none of them address the emotional issues that must be tackled before successfully losing weight. Not knowing how to eat right is a relatively easy to remedy. But, the emotional issues behind some people's over-eating need more intense intervention.

June 27, 2008, 1:50 pm CDT

Quote From: turtlesoup

I am a big fan of the show, but I really have a problem with the way this, as well as other talk shows, are turning into  long commercials for all the products used.  The Christmas special with all the givaways was one thing, but after watching this show on looking younger, it was too much.  Robin said that she provided products and services for these women, but then proceeded to do non-stop commercials for a ton of products  and companies that were providing the gifts.  Then, after returning to the "live" show, Dr. Phil had to run down the same list of commercials and tell the audience they were getting the same.  The rest of the show went on with more and more products and commercials.  I realize  that there are sponsors for these shows, but watching commercials for an hour is too much.  I loved the makeovers and thought that the women looked fantastic....and I would be willing to bet that they could have had the same results with products and services that the average person can afford. 
I'm tired of all the "high-end" goods and services featured on these talk shows. They're financially out of reach to the average viewer. And, some of the products are only available in LA. Such as Kitson. It's 3000 miles away. Just the gas to drive there and back would set me back $1200. Just to try on jeans I couldn't afford? I don't think so! .

June 27, 2008, 5:47 pm CDT

WHAT'S AGE GOT TO DO WITH IT???

Have you ever done a show about the 65 plus woman? There is a big change that seems to happen to us between 50 and 65? Also...if you have limited funds...what are some of our choices?

July 1, 2008, 10:52 am CDT

Hormone Center in CA

I  did not see the show last Wednesday, but I hear there is a place in CA - I think it is, 'The Hall Center', that one can go to for bioidentical hormones.  I have had trouble with my hormones for years & would love to get some additional information. 

If anyone has any information, please help.

gmagreenbean thanks you

July 7, 2008, 4:20 pm CDT

The Hall Center

Quote From: gmagreenbean

I  did not see the show last Wednesday, but I hear there is a place in CA - I think it is, 'The Hall Center', that one can go to for bioidentical hormones.  I have had trouble with my hormones for years & would love to get some additional information. 

If anyone has any information, please help.

gmagreenbean thanks you

The Hall Center in Santa Monica, CA correct.  They are phenomenal at hitting the mark on getting hormones in check.  They have completely transformed my life and how I live today.  They have a website and for no cost you can read all about their philosphy and what they can offer.

Thanks,

Karlyne

First | Prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | Next Page | Last Page