Message Boards

Topic : 01/15 Internet Mistakes

Number of Replies: 699
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 11, 2008, 01:03:06 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Girls dancing on bars half-naked, passed out on the beach, hugging the porcelain … these are photos posted for all to see on the Web site Facebook, in a group called Thirty Reasons a Girl Should Call it a Night. These shocking and provocative pictures are supposedly submitted by the women in the photos themselves. The women say they love to have fun, and this is a way to bond with other girls just like them. But are there unforeseen consequences to letting the public behold you at your worst? Dr. Phil speaks with women on both sides of this debate. Jasmine is the moderator for the group Thirty Reasons and says, although she’s responsible for taking down questionable photos, she hasn’t found one yet! Amanda and Norma are incensed that women would degrade themselves in this way. Hear from the president of a company who uses Web sites like Facebook and MySpace to weed out potential employees. Could documenting your good time on the Internet become your biggest regret? Then, a teen who loves to drink says criticism of Thirty Reasons just reinforces the double standard of gender inequality. What do Dr. Phil and the teen’s mother think? Plus, a mayor’s sexy photo has her town’s residents outraged. And, meet a substitute teacher who says he was unfairly fired from his job two times for what’s on his MySpace page. Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 12, 2008, 4:36 pm CST

01/15 Internet Mistakes

I was actually debating this the other day on another site.  I admit to being on FaceBook, and my setting is set to JUST FRIENDS, however, I am NOT  naive enough to think that no one else could view it if they chose to, therefore there is NOTHING too personal on it, even the city isn't the correct one (right province wrong city), it is after all a PUBLIC FORUM.
I've seen other pages, out there for all to see, and quite frankly, no I would NOT want my business or organization being represented in that way, how shocking would it be to be on FaceBook and see a half nude pic of your child's teacher ? If you wouldn't do it publically, well that's what myspace and facebook are , PUBLIC FORUMS.
On the other side of the coin, EVERYONE is entitled to a life outside of their jobs, and EVERYONE is entitled to let lose once and awhile, but we do have to be aware of potential repercussions of our actions whether in the real world or online, if you say teach in a conservative community, table dancing at the local bar probably wouldn't be a great idea.
I can't BELIVE that with all the warnings people have been given, there are still many who put very PERSONAL info online for ALL to see, but I will say if you don't want it seen, keep it off FaceBook and MySpace, its that simple, and we should all be more aware that these pics and other things can be seen by EVERYONE.

January 12, 2008, 4:58 pm CST

Dr. Phil you missed it totally

The real problem about the joke done online by the politic is that people took offense because their class of people was memtioned.

As long as we put ourselves into classes of people we forget we are all human. We will never overcome all are differences as long as the media and others use it to put us into a steriotype of people.

Ron

January 12, 2008, 10:25 pm CST

Insecurities is all I can say

It's certainly within a person's right to post whatever they want to express.  However, I believe it's unattractive to brag about past and current indiscretions, especially from a night of drinking.  There are other ways to show the world how wonderful you are with a certain level of class.  Personally these women that thrive in this irresponsible behavior are desperately, looking for attention, and  think very low of themselves.  Having a drink once in a while is certainly okay but not when the person is hurting their body. When a person loses control in alchohol consumption for a night, that's not okay.   Moreover, it's especially selfish and unclassy of mothers flaunting that kind of image and behavior on myspace and facebook.  Sadly, I've seen some disturbing profiles that absolutely cry out, "Come and get me, I'm just a piece of meat." 

January 12, 2008, 10:35 pm CST

Call me conservative but I don't think it's totally unreasonable

Perhaps, I'm just a tad conservative on this issue but  I just personally get this sad and negative feeling seeing anyone letting a night of drinking turn into an embarassing night of degradation.  Maybe, I'm just traumatized from a past relationship that turned sometimes violent from alchohol consumption.  I wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

January 13, 2008, 6:54 am CST

Internet Mistakes

Quote From: shadycat1

I was actually debating this the other day on another site.  I admit to being on FaceBook, and my setting is set to JUST FRIENDS, however, I am NOT  naive enough to think that no one else could view it if they chose to, therefore there is NOTHING too personal on it, even the city isn't the correct one (right province wrong city), it is after all a PUBLIC FORUM.
I've seen other pages, out there for all to see, and quite frankly, no I would NOT want my business or organization being represented in that way, how shocking would it be to be on FaceBook and see a half nude pic of your child's teacher ? If you wouldn't do it publically, well that's what myspace and facebook are , PUBLIC FORUMS.
On the other side of the coin, EVERYONE is entitled to a life outside of their jobs, and EVERYONE is entitled to let lose once and awhile, but we do have to be aware of potential repercussions of our actions whether in the real world or online, if you say teach in a conservative community, table dancing at the local bar probably wouldn't be a great idea.
I can't BELIVE that with all the warnings people have been given, there are still many who put very PERSONAL info online for ALL to see, but I will say if you don't want it seen, keep it off FaceBook and MySpace, its that simple, and we should all be more aware that these pics and other things can be seen by EVERYONE.

"we do have to be aware of potential repercussions of our actions whether in the real world or online" i totaly agree people should be aware of there actions  we have to listen to our mind

January 13, 2008, 10:06 am CST

Girls dancing on bars half-naked

That is what I belive I do see everytime I do watch MTV, and all the other MTV channels like for example MTV 2, MTV Base...There is some very loud sort of music, with some unrelated videos of youngsters half naked doing all sort of semi barbaric movements mainy with some dirty and erotic sense.. and  tone..that is not artistic or can ever help anyone to expand the mind and hearts in an elevated way...and that are television channels running day and night, at any time, there is no specific child protection over it... and any  child regardless of age can watch it.. if and when the parents allow them... and I do believe mostly the parents allow the kids to watch those music programs..and they are cool, and in and in fashion and what not...

So next the child goes to her/his room and have a webcam as the other kids in school do, and she/he simply practice what she /he has just seen again and again and again.. so when and where will all this madness end ????  Why do our kids have to ever see such programs on the TV, what they have to learn and gain from them ???   And can we blame them for trying to have fun by imitating them in the internet ????

We need to regain our control as parents and not blame Face Book, the Internet and what not.. we are the guardians and parents.. we need to educate and influence our kids

Ines

January 14, 2008, 3:56 am CST

01/15 Internet Mistakes

It would make more sense to me to accentuate the positive instead of the negative. Just sayin'.....

January 14, 2008, 2:16 pm CST

It is sad

It is sad that people of all ages think that it is funny or entertaining to post picture of themselves and their friends drunk, stoned and being suggestive. It is a matter of emotional maturity and the ones that post them will probably never understand what they are really saying about themselves.

Busting loose is fine once in a while...but if you are posting pictures of it as a hobby, there is a wake up call in your future.

January 14, 2008, 4:40 pm CST

tuesday show

There is no reason to do what they are doing, teens need to wake up, there are honest safe jobs. Please take control of your bodies. this is a very sad story.

January 15, 2008, 1:07 am CST

Such a shame

Doesn't anyone have any dignity anymore? Why don't these people care about others seeing them like this. I couldn't imagine even leaving my house again (for at least a month) if I did something like this let alone going on television and bragging about it!

Who are they trying to impress? Do they not realise how they appear?

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last