Message Boards

Topic : 07/31 "Get Rid of It!"

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:19:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/30/08) Is there something you’ve been hanging on to for just a little too long? Clothes you haven’t fit into since high school? Boxes of stuff you haven’t looked at in years? Dr. Phil’s guests say their loved ones need to call the junk yard and “Get rid of it!” Kim says her husband, Paul’s, Star Wars hobby has to go. With over 6,000 pieces in his collection, Paul spends 30 hours a week playing with his action figures, building models and talking to friends about Star Wars. He even included light sabers in their wedding, so shouldn’t Kim have known what she was getting into? Next, Larry and Sheila married four months ago, but Sheila says she had no idea she was getting hitched to a hoarder. Larry says she’s got it all wrong –- she’s the pack rat! With some of their favorite collections rolled out on stage, can Dr. Phil help them negotiate what goes and what stays? Plus, meet Terri, who has four storage units and two garages full of sentimental memories –- like a rubber chicken and her father’s X-rays!  She spends so much money storing her stuff that she can’t even afford health insurance. What’s at the heart of her hoarding? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 30, 2008, 4:33 pm CST

Collecting

Quote From: housewife52

I used to "collect" various junk. Coffee cups, angels,pigs,cows,angel pigs, angel cows. I finally got to the point that I had too much stuff collected. About a year and a half ago I had a huge yard sale and got rid of a bunch of stuff.(Made 749.00) Since that I have been cleaning out and throwing away and taking to the Goodwill. And I also had tons of clothes and shoes. I feel better since I have gotten rid of that junk. My husband never complained about it, I just simply got tired of dusting all that stuff and I didn't wear most of the clothes I had collected. For me, once I made the decision to start cleaning out and getting rid of stuff, I couldn't do it fast enough. I'm still working on my basement. I have 2 grown children and I have boxes and boxes of thier schoolwork from K-12 grades. Why I have kept all those papers, I have no idea. I have been going through them and keeping certain cute things and tossing the rest.

January 30, 2008, 4:37 pm CST

Not offensive

Quote From: goldendawne

I was upset when I saw Dr. Phil, a professional, mocking the first man on who collected Star Wars. He was actually making the man look like an idiot. What is wrong with someone having a collection or a passion. My husband supports me in every venture I have. And vice versa.

I am appalled that a man of Dr. Phil's capabilities would do this to a man.

I understand the man willingly went on the show b t to ridicule him like that...I have lost some respect for Dr. Phil.

Do you not have empathy?

Maybe it's because I'm not into Star Wars, but I did not think the way Dr. Phil talked to the man was a big deal.  I thought the teasing was good natured, and the main point he was trying to make was that the man needed some balance.   He should enjoy his hobby, but 30 hours a week?    Assuming he works 40 hours and sleeps 50 hours, that allows no time for his wife!    I spend a lot of free time watching TV (not married, no kids).  TiVO has played a major role in this!!   People at work often tease me that I know too many TV shows and commercials.  I've never felt ridiculed, but am able to laugh at myself about what I know is an obsession.    Where's your sense of humor?

January 30, 2008, 4:43 pm CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

Quote From: losingit16

I am only 16 and already a packrat. I have every paper from school from back to kindergarten. My room is a huge mess and it drives me crazy.

I think Dr. Phil could have been a little more sympathetic to the woman with all the stuff from her parents. I understand that it is crazy but I don't think you really understand how hard it is and how insane it makes you feel.

I too am a saver.  I lost my Mother 48 years ago, she was only 39.  So I have whatever my father didn't give away out of sadness.  When my Dad died in 1995 I took very little from the house as I really had all that I loved in my memories.  The one thing I took was his ties.  I just grabbed a bag full of ties not knowing why.  Well, I made a lamp shade out of those ties.  It is just accent lighting but what a conversation piece it has become.  Off of the finial I hung a small picture in a heart frame which was the last photo of my Dad & I that had been taken. 

I still have my memory table which has a glass top to keep items from Aunts & Uncles, including a Christmas ornament that an Aunt of mine gave me 40 years ago, that she had when first married  in the late 1800's. 

January 30, 2008, 4:51 pm CST

Get Rid of It

I, too, thought Dr. Phil was a little rough with the woman with all the storage units of family memories.  What I have been doing to clear up old memory items is to take a photo of the item and I'm beginning to make scrapbooks of those photos.  Examples,  my daughter's kindergarten favorite dresses, the boy's high school varsity jackets, old missing parts board games, stuffed animals, Girl Scout projects, mother's specially made cards and projects from the kids, toys that the kids had, dance recital clothes, etc..  It makes it so much easier to part with the large items if you have photos of those things.  The photos are much smaller and even though costly, are much cheaper than the 4 storage units.  Please suggest this idea to the young lady.  Side note:  I was Star Wars guest, Paul Grandinette's third grade teacher.  The show was fun and very interesting.

January 30, 2008, 5:08 pm CST

middle of the "continuum." i think.

i'm a semi packrat, but have been a lot better since i don't have too much space to work with. i like walking, and not spraining my ankles ;) i probably just need to look through my magazines and tear out the things i want and thin that group of stuff out, and i should be good.

for those with "no time" to look through it all - ever think of doubling those boxes up by stacking them two deep w, l, and h, putting a tablecloth over it.. and making it a night table? lol don't listen to me, i'm probably feeding into it. alright thanks for reading.

January 30, 2008, 5:12 pm CST

Cut em some slack, Dr.P!

I think Dr.Phil shoud've backed off a little on the Star Wars guy. He said he'd sell some of his collection for their kids college fund, so he knows his responsibilities. The wife needs to get over herself. Yeah, she has every right to want to spend time with her husband. But she insults his passion, and uses the word "nerd" negatively. These two are not a good match at all. He should've found a girl that loves Star Wars like him.

I say this because my girlfriend has a Poke'mon collection of nearly 8,000 items. Being a lover of Poke'mon too, I think it's incredible. Heck, I contribute to it myself when I can. It was our shared love for Poke'mon that brought us together.

January 30, 2008, 5:21 pm CST

I agree

Quote From: laronelaurie

I just finished watching todays episode of "Get Rid Of It!" and would like to suggest to those of you that can't seem to get rid of what you think is sentimental things from your past to use a digital camera and take pictures of your stuff.  As Dr. Phil suggested, pick those few things that you know for sure you would like to keep and then start a scrapbook (photo album) with the pictures of all the other things.  This way you can clear up the space the items are taking but still have a picture of them to be able to look at later through the years.  After all they do say "A picture says a thousand words".  I know when I take out my photo albums and go through them it brings back many happy memories.
 I have saved some things that I thought would be stuff my kids wanted. When my daughter got married, I said, "do you want to wear my wedding gown?" She said, Mom! get real! you were a size 2!

Since then, I have taken pictures of things so I can have illustrations to the stories I want to tell the grandkids. What a relief!

My husband and I moved into a less expensive house, and as we packed, we put stuff in the garage to donate/sell/toss. I was amazed at the stuff that charities cannot use, and just toss in huge garbage bins. Freecycle is a good alternative.

The last day we were in our former home, we still had a full garage, and had to do something with it all QUICK! So we called around to get someone to pick it up, thinking there were some good things in there. It cost $1900 to haul it all away. Yikes!

That cured me of thinking by saving it I was saving money for the future.

January 30, 2008, 5:25 pm CST

Get rid of it????

I can totally relate to Paul. 

My daughter IS a Stormtrooper....a Bounty Hunter....a Royal Guard and Princess Leia in the Slave Bikini.  She has several thousand dollare tied up in her "hobby"....and a wonderful Hobby it is. 

Dr. Phil....I know you don't understand the Star Wars phenomena.  There is a huge following....and many of the people involved with this "hobby" are regular normal "Joes".  They have jobs...wives...families.  They are NORMAL.  They just like to "cut loose" on the weekends and have fun dressing as their favorite character.

BTW.....My daughter is getting married this year.  There WILL be Stormtroopers at her wedding.  LOL

January 30, 2008, 5:32 pm CST

Hoader in the family

I have 2 sisters with this problem.  One sister lives with my mother and it is my mother I would like to help.  Their hoarding is so bad they each have bought additional houses, not storage units, to store all their stuff.  My mother just turned 85.  I fear she won't live much longer.  How can she possibly be "happy" in this enviroment?  My sister is impossible to talk to. 

January 30, 2008, 6:26 pm CST

Thank you

Quote From: curlymoe115

Sending warm thoughts to you.  Addiction changes brain chemistry and it starts to take on bigger and bigger places in your thoughts the longer you go without it.  If you  haven't found a program and a sponsor look into it immediately.  These people know what you are going through and they will help you get going one step at a time.  Don't look to next week or next year right now you can only concentrate on the next hours or the next day.  Good luck.

Hey there,

Thanx for aresponse .. I have tried the A.A/n. sposor thing aen burnt. nd meeting's have not helped ad as far as i know there are no meeting's for self injury.

I m focusing on 1 day.. 1 minue at a time .. it really sux that i cannot read or watch a tv shw about additction without gettin all ..oh maybe one more time. But I know i cannot because of wha i have now.

I just do notunderstand .. why my brain cannot grasp it .. I reaant it .. but I want once in a while to leave reality and just get drunk ..

oH well ..

thanx again

Blesed be

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last