Message Boards

Topic : 07/31 "Get Rid of It!"

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:19:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/30/08) Is there something you’ve been hanging on to for just a little too long? Clothes you haven’t fit into since high school? Boxes of stuff you haven’t looked at in years? Dr. Phil’s guests say their loved ones need to call the junk yard and “Get rid of it!” Kim says her husband, Paul’s, Star Wars hobby has to go. With over 6,000 pieces in his collection, Paul spends 30 hours a week playing with his action figures, building models and talking to friends about Star Wars. He even included light sabers in their wedding, so shouldn’t Kim have known what she was getting into? Next, Larry and Sheila married four months ago, but Sheila says she had no idea she was getting hitched to a hoarder. Larry says she’s got it all wrong –- she’s the pack rat! With some of their favorite collections rolled out on stage, can Dr. Phil help them negotiate what goes and what stays? Plus, meet Terri, who has four storage units and two garages full of sentimental memories –- like a rubber chicken and her father’s X-rays!  She spends so much money storing her stuff that she can’t even afford health insurance. What’s at the heart of her hoarding? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 26, 2008, 5:07 am CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

I used to "collect" various junk. Coffee cups, angels,pigs,cows,angel pigs, angel cows. I finally got to the point that I had too much stuff collected. About a year and a half ago I had a huge yard sale and got rid of a bunch of stuff.(Made 749.00) Since that I have been cleaning out and throwing away and taking to the Goodwill. And I also had tons of clothes and shoes. I feel better since I have gotten rid of that junk. My husband never complained about it, I just simply got tired of dusting all that stuff and I didn't wear most of the clothes I had collected. For me, once I made the decision to start cleaning out and getting rid of stuff, I couldn't do it fast enough. I'm still working on my basement. I have 2 grown children and I have boxes and boxes of thier schoolwork from K-12 grades. Why I have kept all those papers, I have no idea. I have been going through them and keeping certain cute things and tossing the rest.

January 26, 2008, 2:46 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Get It Of Phil Rid. Now I know where you are coming from. I never get rid o of anything in my life.- Except for one thing that is Juno.Com. See you on Wednesday Janurary 30th, 2008. Sincerley Your.-----

Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

January 26, 2008, 7:44 pm CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

Wow! I'm sure glad I have kids. It gives me an excuse to play with legos. We have bins of them. Some are "classic sets" from the '80s. I'd like to see somebody try to make me get rid of them.

As for the "Star Wars dude" May the Force be With Him.  maybe lightsabers at awedding is a little much...okay,okay alot muchbut, it could be so much worse. If he's playing with his Star Wars toys then at least you know where he's at. he's not out drinkin' and druggin' 

Guys just seem to be hard wired to play with toys be it action figures, power tools, cars or video games. Maybe it's just time for compromise.

January 27, 2008, 5:50 pm CST

housewife52

Quote From: housewife52

I used to "collect" various junk. Coffee cups, angels,pigs,cows,angel pigs, angel cows. I finally got to the point that I had too much stuff collected. About a year and a half ago I had a huge yard sale and got rid of a bunch of stuff.(Made 749.00) Since that I have been cleaning out and throwing away and taking to the Goodwill. And I also had tons of clothes and shoes. I feel better since I have gotten rid of that junk. My husband never complained about it, I just simply got tired of dusting all that stuff and I didn't wear most of the clothes I had collected. For me, once I made the decision to start cleaning out and getting rid of stuff, I couldn't do it fast enough. I'm still working on my basement. I have 2 grown children and I have boxes and boxes of thier schoolwork from K-12 grades. Why I have kept all those papers, I have no idea. I have been going through them and keeping certain cute things and tossing the rest.
 I too was a collector like you. Bought too many clothes and collected many things. I made
the change too. I gave most of it away to Goodwill. I am still like you getting rid of many stuff.
"we cannot take it with us, our families will just throw it out once we are gone"

January 28, 2008, 7:25 am CST

Big Surprise When Cleaning Attic

My husband & I have been married 40+ years.  We have lived in this house 32 years, raised 2 sons, and have saved everything including items from both our parents homes.  Since our house is bulging with "stuff" we decided to start on the attic recently.  We found letters sent to my parents while I was in college, beautiful letters my husband sent to me while he was in the Marine Corps, wedding congrats, baby congrats, letters from friends, homemade cards from our little sons, etc.  What touching memories.  But the best find of all was a suitcase he brought down for me to empty which was not mine.  He said it was not his.  After some discussion we opened it together only to realize it was a stored suitcase from family we united with at a Cubs game in 1985 here in Illinois.  They were from New York on their way for a year in California.  To give them needed room in their car we were happy to store this suitcase until the next summer.  Their marriage has ended, (we hope it didn't start over a missing suitcase), we have an extra suitcase and a 1985 Cubs Program and new baseball cap.  One never knows what big surprises awaits when cleaning attics!!

January 28, 2008, 4:07 pm CST

Junk

I have been married for 19 years to a man  who  collects everything. I used to get to throw  things out once a year when he went to Bike Week  Florida. I would take huge garbage bags and throw all kind of things away. This is a man who has saved all his drivers licenses and registrations of every car he has owned. He is 61 years old. I am hoping to get some ideas from Dr. Phil's show on Wednesday.

January 28, 2008, 8:33 pm CST

way too much junk for one person!!!!

I have been married just a year my mother-in-law got her own place a year and a half ago she moved into an apartment.  Her apartment is to this day wall to wal boxes piled to the ceiling, if that's not bad enough she has our basement filled with tubs and boxes, and a shed in our back yard filled with stuff and about a fourth of the garage!  And she keeps shopping and with credit cards she can't afford, and she just buys junk, nothing even remotely useful.  I don't know what to do my husband doesn't want to get  rid of anything or force her to because she had to do that once twenty some years ago when his dad left.  The way I see it is if you haven't  used in a year you don't need it, seeing as none of it has sentimental value.  I feel like I'm goin' nuts cause I'm a neat freak and I just can't stand the mess!!!           

January 29, 2008, 1:15 am CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

Quote From: dayrt67

I have been married for 19 years to a man  who  collects everything. I used to get to throw  things out once a year when he went to Bike Week  Florida. I would take huge garbage bags and throw all kind of things away. This is a man who has saved all his drivers licenses and registrations of every car he has owned. He is 61 years old. I am hoping to get some ideas from Dr. Phil's show on Wednesday.
My father used to save old medicine bottles(some with old pills still in them),batteries that no longer worked(AA,C,D-those kind of batteries.),flashlights...etc... It was a problem for my mother,she couldn't get him to let her clean out and throw away anything. His bedroom was full of a lot of just plain junk that no longer worked. I never knew why he kept all that stuff and I doubt if he knew either. He finally quit saving stuff on June 15,2006.(He died.) Good luck.

January 29, 2008, 12:38 pm CST

It depends...

My grandmother made my dad throw out his baseball card collection 30-40 years ago that would have been worth a fortune today.  If you have collectables like that, or hard to find memoribilia,  just rent a storage space for all that stuff (or stow it in the attic) so you still have it, but not around the house.  Then you can sell it later  for its appreciated value. 

If the person is just hoarding things that noone would ever want- newspapers that are just going to yellow, jars of hair clippings, used kleenex, or any kind of crazy stuff - that's hoarding, throw it away!

It's crazy to come into a relationship and try to change someone's behavior- and wonder why they do it kicking and screaming.  To the Star Wars couple, let him have his own room where he can keep that stuff and the rest of the house could be "off limits" to it.  If you can't live with the Star Wars obsession, then why attach yourself to someone who you know is going to resent you for acting like some authority figure.  Just establish boundaries, but let the man have his obsession.

January 30, 2008, 5:01 am CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

Quote From: gwarrior6

My grandmother made my dad throw out his baseball card collection 30-40 years ago that would have been worth a fortune today.  If you have collectables like that, or hard to find memoribilia,  just rent a storage space for all that stuff (or stow it in the attic) so you still have it, but not around the house.  Then you can sell it later  for its appreciated value. 

If the person is just hoarding things that noone would ever want- newspapers that are just going to yellow, jars of hair clippings, used kleenex, or any kind of crazy stuff - that's hoarding, throw it away!

It's crazy to come into a relationship and try to change someone's behavior- and wonder why they do it kicking and screaming.  To the Star Wars couple, let him have his own room where he can keep that stuff and the rest of the house could be "off limits" to it.  If you can't live with the Star Wars obsession, then why attach yourself to someone who you know is going to resent you for acting like some authority figure.  Just establish boundaries, but let the man have his obsession.

I so agree with this. I flinch everytime I see a show hwere someone' made to get rid of actual collectibles. So, it's not her tastes or interests, so what? Like yousaid, give him his own space to put his stuff.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last