Message Boards

Topic : 07/31 "Get Rid of It!"

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:19:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/30/08) Is there something you’ve been hanging on to for just a little too long? Clothes you haven’t fit into since high school? Boxes of stuff you haven’t looked at in years? Dr. Phil’s guests say their loved ones need to call the junk yard and “Get rid of it!” Kim says her husband, Paul’s, Star Wars hobby has to go. With over 6,000 pieces in his collection, Paul spends 30 hours a week playing with his action figures, building models and talking to friends about Star Wars. He even included light sabers in their wedding, so shouldn’t Kim have known what she was getting into? Next, Larry and Sheila married four months ago, but Sheila says she had no idea she was getting hitched to a hoarder. Larry says she’s got it all wrong –- she’s the pack rat! With some of their favorite collections rolled out on stage, can Dr. Phil help them negotiate what goes and what stays? Plus, meet Terri, who has four storage units and two garages full of sentimental memories –- like a rubber chicken and her father’s X-rays!  She spends so much money storing her stuff that she can’t even afford health insurance. What’s at the heart of her hoarding? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 30, 2008, 7:07 am CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

well i havent seen this show yet, but i can think of a lot worse things a man could be collecting  lol. ilove star wars, but over 6,000 peices in a collection would be a lot of wasted house space for me.

January 30, 2008, 7:38 am CST

SHEILA, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!

Sheila, do you know what you've gotten into?  After watching your story, I was angered at your NEW husband's complete lack of consideration and respect for you.  Probably because I also have a husband with an obsession.  His is EBAY!  He works, then comes home and holes up in his room upstairs and stays there all night, only coming downstairs to eat or go to the bathroom.  He spends most weekends either online or going to auctions or flea markets searching for things to buy and post on EBAY.  My only choice if I want to spend time with him is to sit up there with him and go with him to his auctions and so on.  I tried that and it got old really fast because unlike him, I am not addicted to it.  I enjoy flea markets too but he always turns it into a marathon!  There's never enough!!!  My situation is a little different because we've been together for 15 years and he didn't start out with this problem.  I, fortunately have found my own ways to live with this situation and don't let it take over my life, but you need to realize that he has all the traits of an addict.  What if it were alcohol or drugs?  Sounds like a big jump but the final result is that he cant seem to focus on anything else but his own needs and where does that leave you?

January 30, 2008, 8:10 am CST

hoarders

My mother in law's house is soooooooo bad that we can't even go over...there is no place to sit. She is a major hoarder.  Her house horrible, every room filled with newspapers, magazines and just plain everything you can think of....crap, plus the basement is full too. My children refuse to take their little ones over there because of the dust and plus there just isn't a place for them to even let the kids down.  She even got a huge storage shed a couple of years ago to put more stuff into.  She won't listen to us when we tell her she need to do something. We have offered and offered to help.  She needs help...counseling and she won't even hear of that.  My husband said when she dies we will just need to go in and strike a match and just burn it down, because there isn't anything in there of value but family pictures(which I haven't ever seen in 32 years of marriage, I don't think she could find them).  I just know it is going to be such a huge headache to deal with when she dies. I don't know how anyone can live that way.

January 30, 2008, 8:10 am CST

There is a way...

out of the clutter and chaos.

With nearly half a million people following her Flylady has changed peoples lives.

Dr. Phil maybe you should check out FLYlady.net and google FLYlady or Flybaby.

So many of us are learning to Finally Love Yourself by decluttering our lives.

January 30, 2008, 9:03 am CST

From a different perspective

From my perspective on the hording deal I am a person who had to deal with the hoarded items after my mother and father got ill and sold their house.  I am the youngest of four children but the only one who was near and capable to clearing the house out.  It was very emotional because my parents had tax bills from 1948 in the cellar, this was in 2002.  The clothes never were disposed of before this day.  She had china teacups that were given to her as gifts as she was  an LPN and a good person and people were always buying her things.  They visited but the things they had stored up was overwhelming for me to try to get rid of.  Even now I have pictures that I am trying to sort out who wants them, what do I do with them.  The THINGS, well, asked my family to take what they wanted and then wanted to have an auction to sell what was left.  My mom had gone to the nursing home, my father moved into a one room apartment that was attached to the nursing home so they could be close.  So selling the house was easy, it was the getting rid of everything that was emotionally draining for me.  If you are a hoarder, think about what will happen to those THINGS once you are gone.  You can't take them with you and your children will be pulling their hair out trying to figure out what to do with all the things you are collecting.  If you have that much money to give away I can think of a few charities that you can donate to.  To watch this show was funny yet sad, from my point of view.  Majority of my mothers things are either in a storage room I don't know where it is because the person who was storing them has passed away, or they are in my father's one room apartment closet or his storage area.  Memories are memories, things are things, it's important to move on with life with as little chaos as possible.  Just some thing for people to think about. Janet Z

January 30, 2008, 9:31 am CST

Bids On the Giant Storm Trooper!

Quote From: afraid

well i havent seen this show yet, but i can think of a lot worse things a man could be collecting  lol. ilove star wars, but over 6,000 peices in a collection would be a lot of wasted house space for me.
I am with you.  My son's room is all Star Wars.  He got Burger King to give him the giant window poster of the  little Star Wars happy meal toys.  That hangs on one wall.  During that campaign I think I spent $20 a week on kid's meals.  They got to know him personally- they would say, "Hey we got Darth Vader today!"

Come on Dr. Phil.  I can understand decluttering but Star Wars paraphenalia?  Come on!

January 30, 2008, 9:47 am CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

This is not bout hoarding.. but did not know where to go ......

I Hav battleing addiction of drug's and alcohol for `15 yrs. My husand sAy's that I drink , uSe or Self injure because ..I am mising somethig in my life. Altho  cannot find what I am missng. I hav 6 month's sober right now and EVERYTHING to live and stay sober for .... WHY DO I CONTINUOUSLY HAVE THESE FEELING'S.

Why cannot I feel like everyone else.  I want to stay sober/not cut .. but sometimes the feeling is over whelming.

ADVICE ANY-1 .... PEASE

January 30, 2008, 10:46 am CST

I Feel Sorry for the Star Wars Wife

Really, she should have seen this coming.  It is unfortunate that she choose to marry him.  He is more attatched to his stuff than to his new wife!  If snuggling is boring now, what is he going to think 10 yrs from now.  He either needs to get help or she should consider leaving him before investing her whole life with a man who is not going to be emotionally involved with her in any way.  He obviously doesn't want to change.  Wake up!

January 30, 2008, 11:20 am CST

Treasured Memories vs Clutter

I can relate to today's program.  I don't  have as much clutter and/or collectibles as your guest today but my small apartment is filled with a few collectibles and boxes of I don't know what.

As I watched the show today, I thought it would be a good idea for Terri to take pictures of all the items before she got rid of them and then create a Journal for them.  That way she would still have the memories in picture form and the Journal that tells the story of them.  No more storage units!

January 30, 2008, 12:43 pm CST

I like the Star Wars Collection

I think that Kim was a little harsh in regards to her husband's Star Wars collection. I know Dr. Phil was saying that Paul was wasting his $200,000 on this, but the thing is, he's probably been collecting for many years.
I am slightly offended at Dr. Phil's attitude towards the Star Wars genre. There are many many Star Wars fans out there that are very similar to him. It's not like he is alone out there with his collection. I thought to myself that his collection was pretty spectacular and I wished I could have something like that.
As for the wedding and the honeymoon, it sounds like my type of thing. I would be thrilled if one of my friends who knew me so well would do something like the Light Saber arch.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last