Message Boards

Topic : 07/31 "Get Rid of It!"

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:19:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/30/08) Is there something you’ve been hanging on to for just a little too long? Clothes you haven’t fit into since high school? Boxes of stuff you haven’t looked at in years? Dr. Phil’s guests say their loved ones need to call the junk yard and “Get rid of it!” Kim says her husband, Paul’s, Star Wars hobby has to go. With over 6,000 pieces in his collection, Paul spends 30 hours a week playing with his action figures, building models and talking to friends about Star Wars. He even included light sabers in their wedding, so shouldn’t Kim have known what she was getting into? Next, Larry and Sheila married four months ago, but Sheila says she had no idea she was getting hitched to a hoarder. Larry says she’s got it all wrong –- she’s the pack rat! With some of their favorite collections rolled out on stage, can Dr. Phil help them negotiate what goes and what stays? Plus, meet Terri, who has four storage units and two garages full of sentimental memories –- like a rubber chicken and her father’s X-rays!  She spends so much money storing her stuff that she can’t even afford health insurance. What’s at the heart of her hoarding? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 30, 2008, 12:51 pm CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

Leave the Jedi alone.

I am a 33 year old happily married man and I have an extensive Star Wars collection. I started as a kid and my wife knew what she was getting into. I have my den which is all mine for my collectables. They do not clutter my house. I have some action figures that are worth a few thousand dollars and some large things as well. Theatre Posters are sealed in cases on the walls, Life size Darth Vader, Storm Troopers, Boba Fett and Yoda are seated in chairs. C-3PO and R2-D2 are propped in the corners. There is even a life size replica of Han Solo in Carbonite hung on one wall. I actually went and bought an expensive Real Doll to dress in Leia's metal bikini. All toys are in the packages and in curio cabinets. This is my room and my hobby. The room is neat and never cluttered. No one goes there unless they are fans as well. I have many signed replicas. I will more than likely start to sell them off when it is time for my girls to go to college (unless they get scholarships). I can understand having collectables and I can understand not wanting them all over the house. In my den closet I have Imperial Uniforms, a Darth Vader Costume, Han Solo costume and several Jedi costumes. When my wife and I renew our vows in a couple of years she has already agreed to do so in a Star Wars theme. For me.

Am I a geek? Not hardly. I am a truck driver who gives his kids everything he possibly can. When I have a little left over I save for something for me.

Now only if I could talk the Mrs into letting me put Vader in the corner of the bedroom.....

January 30, 2008, 12:57 pm CST

Get Rid OF It

I completely understand the rubber chicken!!  My Dad pasted away this past September and it was a very hard time for me.  My Dad was a truck driver for most of my childhood and I would travel with him in his truck.  And he had a rubber chicken just like the one your guest had on your show.  The rubber chicken was stolen out of his truck and everytime I see one it brings a tear to my eye!!  I sure wish I had that chicken now!!

Thanks Dr. Phil for a great show!!!

Kim

January 30, 2008, 1:10 pm CST

What to do....

It is I again,the Farmgirl Agoraphobic. I too,tend to collect too much stuff. My cabin is small,and I love EVRYTHING,from dog statues to vintage kitchen items,to spatterware,and on and on.ALL HAIL EBAY! I also love to restore old,wooden furniture,and have tons of it stored up,waiting to be worked on.I try to whittle it down every now and then,but get discouraged,and quit before getting a lot of it done.

I have tried to find somewhere to donate things to and believe it or not,have gotten nowhere! I have boxes of beautiful,plus-size,ladies clothing,some of it still with the tags on.So,I thought maybe a womens' shelter or homeless shelter would be thrilled to have these things.Wrong. No response from anyone I contacted. I want to know where the stuff is going,not just toss it in a clothing box at the gas station,you know? I live very close to Albany,NY and Pittsfield,Mass.,so you would think there would be a need somewhere! Any suggestions out there? Help me gain space,PLEASE!       Joanna

January 30, 2008, 1:20 pm CST

Suggestion when decluttering

It is always difficult to part with sentimental items, no matter how big or small.... a great solution or aid in helping with this is to keep the top 3-5 items and take photos of the rest... If you are scared of losing the memories, the pics will bring them back... It has worked wonderfully in this family for years...

January 30, 2008, 1:26 pm CST

collecting things

I HAVE A LOT OF THINGS TOO.SO I CAN RELATE TO THESE PEOPLE ON YOUR SHOW TODAY.I LIVE IN A VERY TINY APT.AND I HAVE BOXES OF STUFF IN MY STORAGE ROOM.AND I DONT KNOW WHAT IS IN HAVE OF THEM.AND THE STAR WARS COLLECTION.OH MY GOD I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THE THINGS HE HAS.I LOVE STAR WAR'S

AND I HAVE WATCHED EVERYONE OF THE SHOWS.MY MUM USED TO COLLECT THINGS WHEN SHE WAS ALIVE .AND GOD TO CLEAN HER HOUSE WAS A CHOIR IN ITSELF.I ALSO COLLECT THINGS.I HAVE SALT AND PEPPER SHAKERS, ALL DIFFERENT KINDS OF THEM E.T. THINGS,HATS PEEKED HATS,DUCK AND CHICKEN THINGS,WRITTING PADS WITH DOGS ON THEM,I HAVE ALL KINDS OF STUFFED DOG THINGS. I ALSO HAVE ONES ON MY BED BIG DOGS.I HAD TO PUT MY DOG DOWN THREE AND HALF YEARS AGO.I JUST FIGURED IF I CAN'T HAVE MY DOG(CUDDLES) I WOULD COLLECT DOG THINGS.I EVEN HAVE DOG TOWELS,FACE CLOTHES,PICTURES,PHONES,GOD I DONT KNOW WHAT ALL,ANYWAY JUST THOUGHT I  WOULD SAY I CAN RELATE TO ALL OF THESE PEOPLE.OH YEAH I HAVE LOTS OF CLOCKS TOO,DUCK CLOCKS CHICKEN CLOCKS ,TRAIN CLOCKS,AND OTHER CLOCKS.BOOKS.MEDICAL AND OTHER.SOME I HAVE READ SOME I HAV'NT.COLLECTIBLES OH YEAH ALL KINDS OF THEM.KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS AND GIRLS.TOOK A LITTLE WHILE TO GET WHAT I HAVE BUT I THINK IT'S WORTH IT

CUDDLES05

January 30, 2008, 1:29 pm CST

Little Metal Men

My husband and I have been married for 15 years.  When we married we shared many interests and hobbies.  For the past 6 years or so he has been playing Warhammer 40K.  He and his friends usually play on Sunday evening.   I call it playing "Little Metal Men".  Two years ago I told him I wanted my own army.  He gave me Sisters of Battle for Christmas.  It was my thought that if he liked it so much I would share the experience with him instead of asking him to stop. 

Now he is into remote control planes and cars.  I guess I will need to learn to fly. 

He also has learned a lot about gardening so he can share my one of my interests.

This is how we will survive and nobody feels deprived.

Oh he also has to have every tool they sell at Lowe's.

But we are happy.  It works for us.

January 30, 2008, 1:46 pm CST

That wife of the Star Wars collector needs to deal with it

Seriously she needs to deal with it. Sher married him and she has to accept him as for what he is. Hell I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I wouldnt go oveboard with all of that collectors stuff for Star Wars. Yeah I have some of the new action figures but I dont let my hobbies take over my life.

January 30, 2008, 1:47 pm CST

Take a picture and throw it away

Here's an idea for Terri: Take a picture of each item as you throw it out. I mean things like the rubber chicken. Of course, she could just throw it out. But if it's fun to remember that Mom always loved it as a joke, then have a picture of it and an album of Mom and Dad's wacky stuff. It would take less space than the actual stuff. Dr. Phil's idea of selecting special things for a memorial place in the house is great, but I'm thinking Terri might still feel she doesn't want to lose that sentimental buzz that comes from certain items that aren't worthy of putting on display. So take a picture and make an album.

January 30, 2008, 1:50 pm CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

Quote From: dracathos

I think that Kim was a little harsh in regards to her husband's Star Wars collection. I know Dr. Phil was saying that Paul was wasting his $200,000 on this, but the thing is, he's probably been collecting for many years.
I am slightly offended at Dr. Phil's attitude towards the Star Wars genre. There are many many Star Wars fans out there that are very similar to him. It's not like he is alone out there with his collection. I thought to myself that his collection was pretty spectacular and I wished I could have something like that.
As for the wedding and the honeymoon, it sounds like my type of thing. I would be thrilled if one of my friends who knew me so well would do something like the Light Saber arch.

The wife of the star wars collector is a baby. She married him and she has to accept him for who he is. Just a harmless Star Wars fan like me. Hell if my future spouse starting bitching about my hobbies like reading or my Star Wars collection which I do have she should accept it.  Me I'm not wasting thousands of dollars to collector Star Wars stuff. I only have the action figures which I'm concentrating on.

Wives of star wars husbands who want the husband to spend more time with them yada yada good grief. Deal with it.

January 30, 2008, 2:04 pm CST

Memories

Help for the lady with the storage units full of family memories. As you comb through those items, take photos of each one with a digital camera and put them into a scrapbook. Write the stories about each so that your sister and the kids you and she will have can know their grandparents and the life you shared.

Pictures will keep long after the things are gone. Dr. Phil said it, donate, organize, and only keep those very, very special things. Honor your parents but not at your own detriment.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last