Message Boards

Topic : 04/16 Drug Troubles

Number of Replies: 218
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 11, 2008, 08:21:09 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, if you wonder whether your teenager has a drug problem, pay close attention to today’s show. What you may think is normal teen behavior can turn into big trouble fast. Rick and Dawn say they’re at war with their 17-year-old son, Brad. They say he smokes marijuana, skips school, flies into rages, kicks holes in the walls, and even got into a drunken brawl with his father at his 16th birthday party! Brad admits that he smokes pot every day before school, but says everyone he knows is doing it. Dr. Phil has some hard questions for Brad and his parents. Is this just typical teen behavior, or is Brad an addict? Then, don’t miss an update with the heroin-addicted twin sisters, Sarah and Tecoa. Find out which twin went missing, and follow their friend, Joani’s, exhaustive search to bring her back to Dr. Phil. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 14, 2008, 4:38 am CDT

04/16 Drug Troubles

Quote From: cartilagecrown

Drug use in teens? What's new?

People have been taking natural drugs (like marijuana and mushrooms) for many, MANY years. Now, in recent years, drugs are seen as evil.

And there are evil drugs. Man made ones. I am terrified of meth and heroin and cocaine. Those drugs will get you physically addicted in a short period of time and some of them have very bad chemicals in them.

However, I can honestly say that I've never met a single person who only smokes marijuana and is a troubled person. If they drink or do any other drug, then they sometimes start acting weird.

I'm not saying that marijuana is good for you AT ALL but I'm saying that in my personal experience, every single person I've met that smoked marijana and didn't do any other drugs were never people that did anything violent or crazy because of the drug. In fact, they are totally normal. And most were not tempted into harder drugs or anything.

I know some people may not believe me, but I've seen responsible, well adjusted families where every single memeber (and they're all adults) smoke pot, and they have fewer problems than my own family and none of us do it! And no, they don't secretly fall apart when the doors are closed, they're a really nice family, and all the members are intelliegent and friendly. And you wouldn't even know that they occasionally smoke pot.

I've seen many people be violent and unstable on alcohol, though. I've seen that A LOT. I'd much rather someone smoke pot than drink.

I'm sorry if it offends anyone. But I'm just going by personal experience. Besides the fact that it's illegal, I've never seen pot alone ruin anyone's life. (and becuase it's illegal that I don't do it. I don't want to go to jail!)

However, just to let you know, I'd like it if people didn't even need drugs at all, because then they can just get high off life. I'm just saying, marijuana is the least troublesome.

I will agree with the points you've brought up.
When I worked nights at a convinience store, I didn't mind the "Potheads " Why , they would come in and buy out the chip rack, maybe talk for a bit, then leave peacefully (Though I will say it STINKS, hate the smell of the stuff ), drunks would come in, puke all over the bathroom, destroy the chip rack, and then get threatening if you dared say anything to them (instant A- Hole, just add alcohol ), makes me wonder some days if maybe the wrong thing is illegal.
I haven't smoked it in over twenty years, never had the urge, and yet I can't go eight hours without a cigarette, yes I  toked pretty near every day at lunch hour, on weekends at parties etc. and then just gave it up, never looked back, personally, and it is a personal thing, I never had any desire to even try anything worse (okay, I admit, there's nothing better than a cold beer on a hot summer day ).

April 14, 2008, 5:43 am CDT

04/16 Drug Troubles

Quote From: graceschld

I have tried emailing and sending letters, how do you get Dr Phil's attention.  I have a story about my son, I need advise, I need help, I need answers.  Social Security has denied him, saying he is not disabled, Medicaid has denied saying he is not disabled.  What is brain damage if it is not a disability?  HELP DR PHIL.. I  HOPE YOU READ THIS, IT IS  NOT A JOKE

graceschild

Graceschild,

Getting Social Security is a tough one. Keep trying and you will need an Attorney to get you through this.

Make sure you have all information available,dr notes,etc, anything that will prove your case.

Good Luck to you and don't give up, that's what Social Security wants you to do.

April 14, 2008, 9:03 am CDT

Have no clue

People have been taking natural drugs (like marijuana and mushrooms) for many, MANY years. Now, in recent years, drugs are seen as evil.

And there are evil drugs. Man made ones. I am terrified of meth and heroin and cocaine. Those drugs will get you physically addicted in a short period of time and some of them have very bad chemicals in them.

However, I can honestly say that I've never met a single person who only smokes marijuana and is a troubled person. If they drink or do any other drug, then they sometimes start acting weird.

I'm not saying that marijuana is good for you AT ALL but I'm saying that in my personal experience, every single person I've met that smoked marijana and didn't do any other drugs were never people that did anything violent or crazy because of the drug. In fact, they are totally normal. And most were not tempted into harder drugs or anything.

I know some people may not believe me, but I've seen responsible, well adjusted families where every single memeber (and they're all adults) smoke pot, and they have fewer problems than my own family and none of us do it! And no, they don't secretly fall apart when the doors are closed, they're a really nice family, and all the members are intelliegent and friendly. And you wouldn't even know that they occasionally smoke pot.

I've seen many people be violent and unstable on alcohol, though. I've seen that A LOT. I'd much rather someone smoke pot than drink.

I'm sorry if it offends anyone. But I'm just going by personal experience. Besides the fact that it's illegal, I've never seen pot alone ruin anyone's life. (and becuase it's illegal that I don't do it. I don't want to go to jail!)

However, just to let you know, I'd like it if people didn't even need drugs at all, because then they can just get high off life. I'm just saying, marijuana is the least troublesome.

This is the problem.  People do not believe that marijuana is bad.  People believe that marijuana does not affect you.  People believe that marijuana is safe.  IT IS NOT.  I watched my son decline from being one of the smartest people I have ever met to not being able to pass.  I watched him go from such a loving human being to a violent one.  Never to me but holes in walls, broken things, threats, etc....  I would have never dreamed that he would have cussed at me like he did.  I watched as marijuana made him into a human being that I had never met before nor would I have wanted to know. 

Of course when he was high, he was fine and relaxed and happy.  OF COURSE.  It was when he would be off of it and wanting it.  It made him (and others I know) turn in to moody, hateful, untrustworthy people.  And it is ILLEGAL.  Maybe it has not affected you or people you know.  But to some it affects greatly.  And the myth that it is better than alcohol or any other drugs or does not affect people as bad is ENTIRELY WRONG.  I KNOW.  I am Dawn.  Brad's mom. 

Please do not let the possiblity that Marijuana is horrible pass you by.  Be open minded.  Listen carefully and be careful.

April 15, 2008, 5:28 pm CDT

04/16 Drug Troubles

Brad's parents,

Why in the world would you let your son drink at his sixteeth birthday party. That is asking for trouble and it is against the law. What are you thinking.

April 15, 2008, 8:34 pm CDT

It was only pot?

Quote From: dmess123

This is the problem.  People do not believe that marijuana is bad.  People believe that marijuana does not affect you.  People believe that marijuana is safe.  IT IS NOT.  I watched my son decline from being one of the smartest people I have ever met to not being able to pass.  I watched him go from such a loving human being to a violent one.  Never to me but holes in walls, broken things, threats, etc....  I would have never dreamed that he would have cussed at me like he did.  I watched as marijuana made him into a human being that I had never met before nor would I have wanted to know. 

Of course when he was high, he was fine and relaxed and happy.  OF COURSE.  It was when he would be off of it and wanting it.  It made him (and others I know) turn in to moody, hateful, untrustworthy people.  And it is ILLEGAL.  Maybe it has not affected you or people you know.  But to some it affects greatly.  And the myth that it is better than alcohol or any other drugs or does not affect people as bad is ENTIRELY WRONG.  I KNOW.  I am Dawn.  Brad's mom. 

Please do not let the possiblity that Marijuana is horrible pass you by.  Be open minded.  Listen carefully and be careful.

Seriously, ONLY pot made your son violent and evil? Well, if that's what happened to your son, then that sucks.

I don't think that it changes my mind about pot at all, though.

I still believe that marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol and other drugs. I mean, I'm not saying that it's great for you at all. It does get smoke into your lungs and make you a little more forgetful. But I know people who smoke pot only, and then I know people who do other drugs and drink. The people who only smoke pot are usually noththing like you describe your son being, whether they are on or off the stuff. In fact, most of the time, I can't even tell if they are high or not! The people who do other drugs or drink turn violent and crazy, sometimes, though.

What you described in your sons behavior is new to me. He must have had an fairly bad psychological addiction. But I, personaly, have never known ANYONE to need it soooo bad when they're off it, that they turn violent. Maybe a little moody, but that's it. And most of the time, (again) I don't even know if they have had it or not.

I'm sorry about your son, but nothing your son went through will make me think differently people who ARE good, honest, friendly people that you would NEVER suspect have some pot occasionally. Why should I dislike it if they smoke pot if it doesn't make them moddy or violent or hateful? (besides it being illegal but I don't agree with drug laws anyway) If your son got that way only from pot, then yeah, he should avoid it. But that doesn't mean that everyone will be affected that way.

I am open minded. I have heard pros AND lots of cons for marijuana. But, in the end, I go by my personal experiences, not anyone elses.

Again, I wish we could all just get high on life and not have to have this debate. But if I'm not going to tell someone whether or not they can put alcohol in them and ruin their liver, then I won't tell them if they can smoke weed (for adults, only btw.)

April 16, 2008, 5:51 am CDT

04/16 Drug Troubles

Quote From: usa_2425

Brad's parents,

Why in the world would you let your son drink at his sixteeth birthday party. That is asking for trouble and it is against the law. What are you thinking.
Haven't seen show yet, but did hear that too, in what was going to be on the show,  What kind of parent allows a 16 year old child to drink, I guess we will find out.

April 16, 2008, 5:58 am CDT

04/16 Drug Troubles

The people I knew in HS, who smoke a lot of pot, most still live mommy, never grew up

burn out teens will most likely grow up to be a burned out adult!!!!

April 16, 2008, 7:44 am CDT

And thats not all

The trouble with the weed these days is comes in different forms. In Australia it can be used in a Bong and unfortunatley it can have thing added to it when smoked.  I believe this is what makes a user become violent, plus weed is Hydroponicly grown etc.  Ultomatly it ends in most users becoming mentaly ill.  this can often be permanent.  I know this becouse my son went through this and now has permanent scitsofeenia( I know that is not how you spell it). 

April 16, 2008, 7:52 am CDT

PATERNITY TEST KITS - OVER THE COUNTER

Paternity test kits are the latest example of how genetics testing is pushing into the consumer marketplace, fueling competition not only in paternity issues but also in ancestry research (many purchasers are adults who still have questions about who their parents are or were). Genetic paternity tests are widely available online. Experts are warning consumers that some laboratories doing the testing are not required to meet federal or any genetic testing standards.

Over-the-counter test kits are now available. These over-the-counter test kits are now available in some local stores - except those in New York, where state law requires a court order or medical prescription.

www.dnatesting.com

The kits cost about $30. They contain cotton swabs for taking cells from inside the mouth, which are then placed in sealed plastic bags and sent with a consent form and an additional fee to an accredited lab. Results are available in three to five days and can be accessed online. Assuming that the information listed on the form sent in with paternity kits is correct;
the test is 99.9 percent accurate for paternity.

The tests cannot be used in legal proceedings because there is no verification that the samples come from the people who are listed on the forms sent to the laboratory. Legally valid tests cost about $350 with Identigene.

With some paternity tests advertised on the Web for as little as $89. Buy from a company whose laboratory is accredited for crime scene processing and by the American Association of Blood Banks, which set standards for handling and processing samples.

Hope it helps!

April 16, 2008, 10:05 am CDT

Bragging Rights or What???

Quote From: desertnan

Part of me is interested in family problems while part of me wonders why no one seems to want to show us families with no problems. I have a fraternal twin sister and we were both adopted by a married couple when we were about three months old. We had a very good role model for a mother and neither of us caused any trouble. We didn't get involved with the "wrong" people, never did drugs, smoked, stayed out until all hours, were never insubordinate, and didn't get into shouting matches with either parent. We weren't perfect and we spanked from time to time, but got good grades in school, good attendance, did our homework, were never tardy or absent, or got detention. We moved out at 18, went to college, got jobs and never moved back home.  We never got pregnant, became alcoholics or drug addicts, and never robbed banks, houses or stores. As I said, we must have been boring children. When our family dined out my sister and I were well behaved and never ran around the restaurant or made noise at the table. We went to Sunday school, then church, though not diligently. All in all, I feel we are sadly overlooked and all I can do is hope there are plenty of viewers out there who know that for every family depicted with all their problems in the media, there are many other families doing just fine.

It sounds like you have the perfect lives, however, you and I both know that there is no such thing. Are you or your sister married? Have kids? If so and you haven't made it thru the teen years with them, then you just might be the next Dr. Phil family! (And it's not over even if you do make it thru the teen years!!) It seems like you're trying to make every parent that DOES have problems with their child or in their marriage feel like they did something wrong and deserve what is happening to them. Just remember, a preacher can raise a prostitute and a prostitute can raise a preacher. Be careful bragging about you're wonderful glory days as teenagers...it might not be that simple when you pull back the curtains on your own family. Just a thought!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last