Message Boards

Topic : 04/16 Drug Troubles

Number of Replies: 218
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 11, 2008, 08:21:09 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, if you wonder whether your teenager has a drug problem, pay close attention to today’s show. What you may think is normal teen behavior can turn into big trouble fast. Rick and Dawn say they’re at war with their 17-year-old son, Brad. They say he smokes marijuana, skips school, flies into rages, kicks holes in the walls, and even got into a drunken brawl with his father at his 16th birthday party! Brad admits that he smokes pot every day before school, but says everyone he knows is doing it. Dr. Phil has some hard questions for Brad and his parents. Is this just typical teen behavior, or is Brad an addict? Then, don’t miss an update with the heroin-addicted twin sisters, Sarah and Tecoa. Find out which twin went missing, and follow their friend, Joani’s, exhaustive search to bring her back to Dr. Phil. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 16, 2008, 10:09 am CDT

04/16 Drug Troubles

Unfortunately, coverage of the Pope's arrival in the U.S. ruined the show today here in my city so I only got to see about the first 20 minutes of the show.

What I did see, however, really made me mad. This 17 year old boy is already in serious trouble, and his parents are a mess! What rational thinking adult parent encourages their 16 year old to drink at home EVER? And the pot smoking? How stupid is that? I am SO tired of these wimpy parents wanting to be "cool" and their kids' "friends". Your kids don't need or want you to be their friend! They need strong guidance and common sense parenting!

And, by the way, Mom, you said you didn't allow your son to get a driver's license at 16 because he was using drugs and alcohol...but, here he is, at 17, exhibiting the same stupid behavior and he's driving a Mustang? A hot, fast car....I know because I owned one myself in '95. Giving that kid a car is like putting a loaded weapon in his hands. I truly resent your irresponsibility....and his...because I, and people I love are on those roads, too!

Who paid for that car? Who pays the insurance? I'd be willing to bet it's not your son! Just one more way you caved and are enabling him.

And those holes in the walls? Oh boy! HE would be paying for the materials to fix them, AND would be fixing them himself, each and every time!

(I don't know if Dr. Phil's advice to put the kid in rehab today was followed since I didn't see the end of the show...but, I truly hope so!!)

You lazy parents really are infuriating! You pamper and spoil your little darlings all their lives until they become out-of-control teens and THEN you suddenly want to jerk a knot in their tails, and you can't figure out why they can't be reined in. Discipline STARTS when they are tiny when you lay down the ground rules, and you stick with those rules CONSISTENTLY!

Don't you understand that kids need and want that discipline, and will push the boundaries until they get it? You're not out to win a popularity contest; your goal is to raise your children into good, responsible stable adults!  THEN you can be their friend!!    

April 16, 2008, 10:30 am CDT

Parents are drug addicts

I haven’t watched this show, but they always make me a little bit sad. My parents are the ones who have the drug problem and as a matter of fact they are the ones who gave me drugs for the first time as a teenager and claim it is “no big deal,” everybody does it, “ it’s society that has a problem.” I have spent a long time trying to pry that totally misguided crap off of me. It must be nice to have parents who care enough to write Dr. Phil so he can scare them straight and tell them if they keep on that path they will die. So anyway here is my real point about doing drugs and “dying,” since I am willing to bet that will come up.  I have thirty plus years dealing with drug addicts too and well they usually don’t die, they just wish they would. They are too afraid to live and too afraid to point the gun at themselves and pull the trigger. My parents have been functioning drug addicts for their entire life. My dad does better and has resigned to just drinking since the inception of the random pee test and well my mom was fired for failing her pee test twice. She is currently working at a job better suited for teenagers and has the mental capacity and insight of a sixteen year old. They didn’t die Dr. Phil that’s a scare tactic and it isn’t true, you have only seen the real bad ones in your lifetime not the countless other ones who hobble around as life cripples.  Their fate is much worse. It’s the fate of a pathetic sad person that strangers pity who have wasted their entire life. I spent my entire childhood crying for help and because of my deaf, stoned parents nobody heard me. So for all you kids who are upset and think your parents are stupid for caring about whether or not you end up like my parents ( loser drug addicts) get over it.

April 16, 2008, 10:44 am CDT

04/16 Drug Troubles

Quote From: getrealtime

The people I knew in HS, who smoke a lot of pot, most still live mommy, never grew up

burn out teens will most likely grow up to be a burned out adult!!!!

I know many people who smoke pot and are very educated and contributors to society.  Actually, I smoked for years in college. I made straight A's, graduated Cum Laude, and landed a great job right out of college.  Pot does not kill people, people kill people-alcohol kills people, cocaine kills, heroin,etc. I would like to see some studies to better educate society on the long term effects of simply smoking pot. I have never heard of anyone dying from lung cancer bc of smoking pot or any other illnesses.  Moderation is the key.

April 16, 2008, 10:59 am CDT

What was the ending of the show?

Could anyone mention how the show ended up?  The last thing we saw  was when Dr. Lawlis was telling Brad that he is addicted because his judgment has been affected now.  The remaining part of the show was dropped in exchange for the presentation of Pope Benedict at the White House.

Did they send Brad to one of Dr. Phil's suggested rehab centers?

Though I'm glad to have seen the Pope's presentation, I want to know how the show ended! 

THANKS !

April 16, 2008, 11:13 am CDT

what is the real deal

This boy's parents are enabling him plain andsimple. What parent allows underage drinking and pot smoking? I bet the kid is doing more then what has been said. I think that whole family needs a few days in the mental hospital and the parents need parenting classes.

April 16, 2008, 11:54 am CDT

*APPLAUDS*

Quote From: cndrlla

Unfortunately, coverage of the Pope's arrival in the U.S. ruined the show today here in my city so I only got to see about the first 20 minutes of the show.

What I did see, however, really made me mad. This 17 year old boy is already in serious trouble, and his parents are a mess! What rational thinking adult parent encourages their 16 year old to drink at home EVER? And the pot smoking? How stupid is that? I am SO tired of these wimpy parents wanting to be "cool" and their kids' "friends". Your kids don't need or want you to be their friend! They need strong guidance and common sense parenting!

And, by the way, Mom, you said you didn't allow your son to get a driver's license at 16 because he was using drugs and alcohol...but, here he is, at 17, exhibiting the same stupid behavior and he's driving a Mustang? A hot, fast car....I know because I owned one myself in '95. Giving that kid a car is like putting a loaded weapon in his hands. I truly resent your irresponsibility....and his...because I, and people I love are on those roads, too!

Who paid for that car? Who pays the insurance? I'd be willing to bet it's not your son! Just one more way you caved and are enabling him.

And those holes in the walls? Oh boy! HE would be paying for the materials to fix them, AND would be fixing them himself, each and every time!

(I don't know if Dr. Phil's advice to put the kid in rehab today was followed since I didn't see the end of the show...but, I truly hope so!!)

You lazy parents really are infuriating! You pamper and spoil your little darlings all their lives until they become out-of-control teens and THEN you suddenly want to jerk a knot in their tails, and you can't figure out why they can't be reined in. Discipline STARTS when they are tiny when you lay down the ground rules, and you stick with those rules CONSISTENTLY!

Don't you understand that kids need and want that discipline, and will push the boundaries until they get it? You're not out to win a popularity contest; your goal is to raise your children into good, responsible stable adults!  THEN you can be their friend!!    

Thank you for saying it first. 

April 16, 2008, 12:32 pm CDT

Pot does change attitudes

I can tell you that pot does change attitudes of the smokers.  My daughter went from a quiet, self assured teenager with common sense to a smart mouthed, easily angered child the summer between 10 and 11th grade.  My husband said he thought she was smoking pot.  I didn't believe it.  Wasn't until we had proof that I opened my eyes to that fact.  When my youngest's behavior started changing, it didn't take me any convincing.  I started searching his room and went as far as I could to get him straightened up, which was putting a CHINS action (child in need of supervision) on him which was nessessary because the guy who was supplying him with the pot, we (and the police) feel was grooming him for molestation. It was the best way to keep him away from my son.  He has grown up to be a responsible, well adjusted young man, now with a wife and daughter of his own.  He is glad we put such limits on him.  One thing I don't understand is how when parents of their friends know how against I am of underage drinking and any drugs, why would they have parties at their house and not only allow the drinking but supply it and drink with them.  I didn't find this out until my kids were grown, but after this show it seems it is still going on.  Kids will be kids but it is up to the parents to raise them to be responisble, law abiding citizens and you can't do that if you are allowing them to break laws at 16!

April 16, 2008, 12:34 pm CDT

drug troubles w Brad

Quote From: princessgina

This boy's parents are enabling him plain andsimple. What parent allows underage drinking and pot smoking? I bet the kid is doing more then what has been said. I think that whole family needs a few days in the mental hospital and the parents need parenting classes.

I agree that Brads parents are enabling him.

When she says I tell him do not go out;and then he goes out;tell him the door will be locked.

If he is not home at curfew,the door is locked.

If he smokes pot at thehouse -call the police and turn his butt in.

If he breaks something in the house that is not his;he must pay for it.

If he breaks any of the house rules,Brads mom says "Well I take his cell phone away"

How about putting a lock on the steering wheel of the car?

Kids need consequences for their actions.

Just because evryone at school drinks and gets high is not a reason for our children to do it.

Brad pulls his mom into arguments and she lets herself get pulled in to the arguments.

Dad needs to shape up and get his act together and mom needs to learn that tough love is not a bad thing.

Both father and son need anger management counseling

I had a teenager son who  needed to learn he had to pay the consequences of his actions.

I called the police when I found he had stuff in his pocket;he was arrested and had to go to court.

I came down hard and it hurt to take that big step ;but I had to do it to save my son and it worked out.He is a total yurned around person.He is a great person!!!

April 16, 2008, 12:36 pm CDT

04/16 Drug Troubles

Quote From: leiyah

Could anyone mention how the show ended up?  The last thing we saw  was when Dr. Lawlis was telling Brad that he is addicted because his judgment has been affected now.  The remaining part of the show was dropped in exchange for the presentation of Pope Benedict at the White House.

Did they send Brad to one of Dr. Phil's suggested rehab centers?

Though I'm glad to have seen the Pope's presentation, I want to know how the show ended! 

THANKS !

brad went to rehab and had been sober for 2months when the show ended. their family is doing much better.

April 16, 2008, 12:50 pm CDT

I didn't think weed was a problem.. I was wrong !

I'm watching this show on drug use and teenagers..

When I was in high school I smoked weed everyday too - and he's right.. about 80% of High school students (smart or not) use the drug.

I never really got into heavy drug use.. but if I could do it all over again.. I never NEVER would have smoked my first joint.  I remember once telling my mom the same thing I hear Dr.Phil saying "Everyone does it so they think its 'normal' but its not, its a drug and I'm addicted". I don't think my mom knew how to react, I have 2 older brothers that smoked alot too and now they are successful entrepreneurs .. I even have friends that get high and then right an A+ Uni paper.. but thats not me.. and now.. I'm still trying to cut down but it becomes apart of your life.. your routine (like any other addictive drug) and I know it has effected and does effect my life daily.

If I never smoked - maybe I would have done better at school, maybe I would have enjoyed it more.. I'm sure I would have more options in my life now.. just based on the choices I have made...College vs. Uni .. more motivation with my work and opportunities..etc.

For me the biggest aspect of being addicted to pot that I can reflect on is - I do believe that it has contributed to my overall outlook on life and periods of depression.. I would have done alot of things differently if I wasn't 'under the influence'... and now I have to live with that regret and hope I'm strong enough the make the right decisions in the future.

People think smoking pot isn't a big deal.. and it doesn't really effect your life - They are wrong.

Just because its not heroine, crack or meth.. doesn't mean its not a problem. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last