Message Boards

Topic : 04/16 Drug Troubles

Number of Replies: 218
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 11, 2008, 08:21:09 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, if you wonder whether your teenager has a drug problem, pay close attention to today’s show. What you may think is normal teen behavior can turn into big trouble fast. Rick and Dawn say they’re at war with their 17-year-old son, Brad. They say he smokes marijuana, skips school, flies into rages, kicks holes in the walls, and even got into a drunken brawl with his father at his 16th birthday party! Brad admits that he smokes pot every day before school, but says everyone he knows is doing it. Dr. Phil has some hard questions for Brad and his parents. Is this just typical teen behavior, or is Brad an addict? Then, don’t miss an update with the heroin-addicted twin sisters, Sarah and Tecoa. Find out which twin went missing, and follow their friend, Joani’s, exhaustive search to bring her back to Dr. Phil. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 16, 2008, 12:51 pm CDT

NOT THE STEROTYPE

Welll as for smoking pot and it destroying your life....WRONG i agree with the person who wrtoe its up to the person who controls them on which way there life will turn out ME being a 21yrold holding 2 jobs working 7 days a week beendoing it for 9 months i have a car, insurance and rent  that i pay every month i am a POT SMOKER im calm i dont make rational decisions im meek DRAMA FREE now and i work my ASS Off it hasnt made me a bad person im not in jail and im more patient and stress free and its the most natural Compared to these these other thing these kids get a hold  of (INCLUDING DEADLY CIGGS< ALCOHOL AND PILLS which all are legal tooo!!! HMMM wonder why the govnt did that?)  and its ALL IN YOUR HEAD...... MIND OVER MATTER YOU have to control your emotions and mind dont let it control you!!!!!!!!!! want to help make it legal and see it compared to alcholo all research  go to www.safer.org

April 16, 2008, 1:05 pm CDT

Wrong wrong wrong

Quote From: dmess123

This is the problem.  People do not believe that marijuana is bad.  People believe that marijuana does not affect you.  People believe that marijuana is safe.  IT IS NOT.  I watched my son decline from being one of the smartest people I have ever met to not being able to pass.  I watched him go from such a loving human being to a violent one.  Never to me but holes in walls, broken things, threats, etc....  I would have never dreamed that he would have cussed at me like he did.  I watched as marijuana made him into a human being that I had never met before nor would I have wanted to know. 

Of course when he was high, he was fine and relaxed and happy.  OF COURSE.  It was when he would be off of it and wanting it.  It made him (and others I know) turn in to moody, hateful, untrustworthy people.  And it is ILLEGAL.  Maybe it has not affected you or people you know.  But to some it affects greatly.  And the myth that it is better than alcohol or any other drugs or does not affect people as bad is ENTIRELY WRONG.  I KNOW.  I am Dawn.  Brad's mom. 

Please do not let the possiblity that Marijuana is horrible pass you by.  Be open minded.  Listen carefully and be careful.

I respectfully have to disagree with every point you made about marijuana.  I watched the show with intense interest.  This debate about whether marijuana made your son rage is ridiculous.  The debate about whether marijuana is dangerous is laughable.

We were all teenagers once (or are) and we made (or make) choices that lead us into adulthood.  I have smoked pot everyday for over 15 years and I am only 28.  I chose pot over all else.  I never did cocaine or anything else.  Now I watch as half of the people, mothers and fathers, friends and coworkers in my peer group get addicted, or are addicted to prescription drugs and end up worse off than ever.  The other half is addicted to alcohol.  They all justify it by saying it is legal.  Most of those people have driven drunk or have passed out on vicodins somewhere other than home and think they are ok because it is ok in society today to take lots of prescription drugs and drink alcohol heavily.  I graduated high school and I have gone to work everyday since I was legally able, I pay taxes, and I am back in school again now to further my education, not to make more money,  but to expand my knowledge to make the world a better place. 

Scare stories like these are exactly what the alcohol industry and the pharmaceutical companies want.  Marijuana is classified as a Schedule 1 drug, meaning it is classified as a drug that is worse than herion and as bad as crystal meth. 

My face has never melted off,  I have never hurt anyone,  I have never made a late mortgage payment because I needed the drug. (that's right I own my own home and car for that matter) I am a responsible adult who chooses to use a plant that grows naturally on the earth.  Not a manmade less effective,  more dangerous alternative like Xanex or Paxil. One day I hope the light is really shone on what marijuana is capable of concerning health and wellbeing. 

I am so sorry to hear about your relationship with your son being as terrible as it was and I hope it gets better, whether the problem was the pot or not.  But I do not believe, nor will I ever believe that Marijuana contributed to his rage.  Teenage boys are angry if they are locked up all the time for suspecting they might do something.  Your son seems to be an intellient youngman.  I hope it all works out for you all.

April 16, 2008, 1:15 pm CDT

Drug Troubles

I too am a daily pot smoker....it is something that I am not proud of...but it seems impossible to stop. My partner is a user as well. I feel this makes it impossible for me to achieve sobriety. I feel lost, and completly taken-over by this drug. Help!

April 16, 2008, 1:17 pm CDT

Pot is insidious

Quote From: cartilagecrown

Drug use in teens? What's new?

People have been taking natural drugs (like marijuana and mushrooms) for many, MANY years. Now, in recent years, drugs are seen as evil.

And there are evil drugs. Man made ones. I am terrified of meth and heroin and cocaine. Those drugs will get you physically addicted in a short period of time and some of them have very bad chemicals in them.

However, I can honestly say that I've never met a single person who only smokes marijuana and is a troubled person. If they drink or do any other drug, then they sometimes start acting weird.

I'm not saying that marijuana is good for you AT ALL but I'm saying that in my personal experience, every single person I've met that smoked marijana and didn't do any other drugs were never people that did anything violent or crazy because of the drug. In fact, they are totally normal. And most were not tempted into harder drugs or anything.

I know some people may not believe me, but I've seen responsible, well adjusted families where every single memeber (and they're all adults) smoke pot, and they have fewer problems than my own family and none of us do it! And no, they don't secretly fall apart when the doors are closed, they're a really nice family, and all the members are intelliegent and friendly. And you wouldn't even know that they occasionally smoke pot.

I've seen many people be violent and unstable on alcohol, though. I've seen that A LOT. I'd much rather someone smoke pot than drink.

I'm sorry if it offends anyone. But I'm just going by personal experience. Besides the fact that it's illegal, I've never seen pot alone ruin anyone's life. (and becuase it's illegal that I don't do it. I don't want to go to jail!)

However, just to let you know, I'd like it if people didn't even need drugs at all, because then they can just get high off life. I'm just saying, marijuana is the least troublesome.

Yes my mom has been smoking pot for forty years my father about the same. She thinks she is totally normal because pot is natural blah blah blah. The house my parents live in should be condemned, neither one of them lived up to their potential. My brother is now a functioning alcoholic working beneath potential as well. They all live in denial, much like you do, but they have never done anything crazy or violent or been arrested. In fact they would actually be living life more if they did. I believe my mom has brain damage from all the years of pot smoking, people literally pity her when she speaks. They didn’t die, nothing horrible happened but like I said in an  earlier post that isn’t how it goes.  People smoke pot to cope with things they don’t want to deal with and so it never gets dealt with and before they know it their life is over. It like existing between dead and alive…. Its like living nowhere. I am a child who watched her parents stay the same, they never grew up.  Addiction is addiction it doesn’t matter if it is legal or not and it doesn’t really much matter what it is. The stronger drugs just bring you to your knees faster, the milder ones are like sticking a frog in water and slowly increasing the heat, which to me makes them insidious and worse.

With all do respect you are full of crap. How do I know that, because I used to sound like you and because I have seen what is at the end of your pot doesn’t hurt anybody denial/rationalization rainbow.

April 16, 2008, 1:23 pm CDT

Texas Drinking laws

Just an FYI to respond to something Phil McGraw said about Texas and underage drinking.

I don't particularly agree with it, but in Texas it is legal for a child to drink with his parents supervision.  So the parents on this program allowing their son to drink at 16 under their supervision is NOT illegal.  However, if they let his girlfriend drink, since they are NOT her parents, they could be in some trouble. 

April 16, 2008, 1:31 pm CDT

04/16 Drug Troubles

Quote From: cartilagecrown

Drug use in teens? What's new?

People have been taking natural drugs (like marijuana and mushrooms) for many, MANY years. Now, in recent years, drugs are seen as evil.

And there are evil drugs. Man made ones. I am terrified of meth and heroin and cocaine. Those drugs will get you physically addicted in a short period of time and some of them have very bad chemicals in them.

However, I can honestly say that I've never met a single person who only smokes marijuana and is a troubled person. If they drink or do any other drug, then they sometimes start acting weird.

I'm not saying that marijuana is good for you AT ALL but I'm saying that in my personal experience, every single person I've met that smoked marijana and didn't do any other drugs were never people that did anything violent or crazy because of the drug. In fact, they are totally normal. And most were not tempted into harder drugs or anything.

I know some people may not believe me, but I've seen responsible, well adjusted families where every single memeber (and they're all adults) smoke pot, and they have fewer problems than my own family and none of us do it! And no, they don't secretly fall apart when the doors are closed, they're a really nice family, and all the members are intelliegent and friendly. And you wouldn't even know that they occasionally smoke pot.

I've seen many people be violent and unstable on alcohol, though. I've seen that A LOT. I'd much rather someone smoke pot than drink.

I'm sorry if it offends anyone. But I'm just going by personal experience. Besides the fact that it's illegal, I've never seen pot alone ruin anyone's life. (and becuase it's illegal that I don't do it. I don't want to go to jail!)

However, just to let you know, I'd like it if people didn't even need drugs at all, because then they can just get high off life. I'm just saying, marijuana is the least troublesome.

This is horrible,the bias i see in this show towards marijuana is sickening.This show should be educating.it's teaching falsely about marijuana.I've lost respect for this show after seeing this episode.

April 16, 2008, 1:33 pm CDT

Little twerp!

I really don't like this kid's attitude. I wouldn't have put up with him for two minutes.He is disrespectful,cocky, mouthy,and a pain in 'their ear.' I don't know when he went wrong but I'll bet money on it that he's been coddled and spoiled rotten for a long time. That would be the day that one of my son's would treat me like that! It really peeves me off that the blame is shared with the parents for starting it in the first place and then they wonder why he smokes pot! That doesn't mean that this kid can't take responsibility for his actions now, but they all have a part in that mess. He seems to have no clue that its not normal to talk to his father like they are on the same level.Mom's 'baby boy' is lethal and a danger to everyone else out there in society right now. Gee, 'thanks', Mom!

April 16, 2008, 1:34 pm CDT

Marijuana's Not Always Used Unintelligently.

Life is about balance. Many would agree with much of what this young man said, the audience was clueless to the proper contexts.

This young mans brain in not fully developed and that is the main argument here. Marijuana in what some may call a "healthy" amount can deepen the perspectives of lives. If you're becoming a loser, you need to change, period. If the marijuana is to blame, cut it out.

BUT. If this is a kid with anger management problems, who smokes weed to be less argumentative then the marijuana shouldn't be blamed. That's not logical.

Marijuana is a symbol as well. People abuse it and give power to habits in life that shouldn't be prioritized so high on the list. Lets educate balance and understand where people are coming from, before we naively act like old farts and loose connection with OUR CHILDREN.

written extremely fast. ciao.

April 16, 2008, 1:39 pm CDT

Waste of a show

Today's show was completely ridiculous. I wish Dr. Phil would have used these resources for teenagers with real problems rather than a smug pothead. I watched the show and thought, that could be my nextdoor neighbor. The kid smoked pot and drank... big deal!

April 16, 2008, 2:01 pm CDT

04/16 Drug Troubles

Quote From: organics

Welll as for smoking pot and it destroying your life....WRONG i agree with the person who wrtoe its up to the person who controls them on which way there life will turn out ME being a 21yrold holding 2 jobs working 7 days a week beendoing it for 9 months i have a car, insurance and rent  that i pay every month i am a POT SMOKER im calm i dont make rational decisions im meek DRAMA FREE now and i work my ASS Off it hasnt made me a bad person im not in jail and im more patient and stress free and its the most natural Compared to these these other thing these kids get a hold  of (INCLUDING DEADLY CIGGS< ALCOHOL AND PILLS which all are legal tooo!!! HMMM wonder why the govnt did that?)  and its ALL IN YOUR HEAD...... MIND OVER MATTER YOU have to control your emotions and mind dont let it control you!!!!!!!!!! want to help make it legal and see it compared to alcholo all research  go to www.safer.org
In Wyoming, Worker's comp gives breaks to those employers who give random drug tests to each of their employees.  More and more businesses are going to this.  So my questions to you are simple.  If you didn't smoke pot and went to college and planned a career, you wouldn't have to work two jobs to get by, where is your plans for the future?  Say you did have that career, what will you do if your employers start random drug testing employees?  Will you lose everything you worked so hard for just to get high?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last