Message Boards

Topic : 04/16 Drug Troubles

Number of Replies: 218
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 11, 2008, 08:21:09 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, if you wonder whether your teenager has a drug problem, pay close attention to today’s show. What you may think is normal teen behavior can turn into big trouble fast. Rick and Dawn say they’re at war with their 17-year-old son, Brad. They say he smokes marijuana, skips school, flies into rages, kicks holes in the walls, and even got into a drunken brawl with his father at his 16th birthday party! Brad admits that he smokes pot every day before school, but says everyone he knows is doing it. Dr. Phil has some hard questions for Brad and his parents. Is this just typical teen behavior, or is Brad an addict? Then, don’t miss an update with the heroin-addicted twin sisters, Sarah and Tecoa. Find out which twin went missing, and follow their friend, Joani’s, exhaustive search to bring her back to Dr. Phil. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 16, 2008, 2:07 pm CDT

Deja Vu

This could be my son.  17, using marijauana.. "it relaxes me".  oh my goodness same nonsense.

I watched this show with great interest.  Like that mother, I will not allow my son to even consider getting a driving permit until he shows responsibility.  Major turning point here tho.. he was threatened with a real suspension from school because of his cutting, and then cutting the detention for the cutting.  The suspension has been delayed while we wait and see, and my goodness... this kid is doing HOMEWORK and getting to school on time.  I speak with the school everyday.  He has NOT left the house in a week.  We are not talking about it, but I think... i HOPE that he has made his own decisions about his activities and friends because of what has happened at school.  Praying!!!!

I Pray for this young man and his family.  For the boy's father also.. that he can stay clean and sober too.

April 16, 2008, 2:14 pm CDT

My 15 yr old boy using Marijuana / he gets it free at school.

My son is so much like the boy on the program.

I realize he is really trying to respond to the pressures of school and family. 

We need to do a better job giving him tools to cope.

He never pays for marijuana at school.  He too has a pretty car but has not privileges to drive it.  He is grounded all the time. 

He says the same thing about smoking.  It relaxes him.  He intellectualizes that is less harmful than alcohol which is why he would not drink.  He is angry, unmotivated about the future and lies all the time.  He has been a worry I must admit since 7 years old.  Its always something. 

I am disappointed in the reality that drinking and drugs, Juana, crack and heroin are sooooo common and normal and unchallenged in the high school.  I wish they had drug sniffing dogs all the time at school so at least there is some challenge.  I wish there was something I could do that would not label my child and get the high school on the track of learning not drugs. 

I know my child is my responsibility.  I am willing to continue efforts to work with I'm to develop appropriate coping tools. 

I am not OK with the role of taking on the school because I am fearful of the long term results on my other child.  But I believe they are an incubator for drugs.  the school even knows drugs are passed around all day and kids walk around with vodka in their glasses, but no one sees the 500 pound gorilla in the room; they say they are not policemen, they are teachers and administrators. 

disappointed mom. 

April 16, 2008, 2:15 pm CDT

Chin up

Quote From: anoncanada

I too am a daily pot smoker....it is something that I am not proud of...but it seems impossible to stop. My partner is a user as well. I feel this makes it impossible for me to achieve sobriety. I feel lost, and completly taken-over by this drug. Help!
 I think there is at least some hope for you since you still have enough brain cells to recognize that the stuff is insidious and intoxicating. People who say they smoked pot for years and a 'fine', scare the pants off me. I wish I had the answers for you but common sense would say that you have to start somewhere. Are there no programs you can find where you live to help? I'm not trying to be flip, and make it sound easy, and  you probably will do a lot better with somebody to mentor you. I hope you get  help before its too late for you and you become another one of those deluded souls who try to tell everyone HOW PERFECTLY NON-AGRESSIVE AND NORMAL THEY ARE!

April 16, 2008, 2:20 pm CDT

Don't be fooled

Quote From: shaynerl

I'm watching this show on drug use and teenagers..

When I was in high school I smoked weed everyday too - and he's right.. about 80% of High school students (smart or not) use the drug.

I never really got into heavy drug use.. but if I could do it all over again.. I never NEVER would have smoked my first joint.  I remember once telling my mom the same thing I hear Dr.Phil saying "Everyone does it so they think its 'normal' but its not, its a drug and I'm addicted". I don't think my mom knew how to react, I have 2 older brothers that smoked alot too and now they are successful entrepreneurs .. I even have friends that get high and then right an A+ Uni paper.. but thats not me.. and now.. I'm still trying to cut down but it becomes apart of your life.. your routine (like any other addictive drug) and I know it has effected and does effect my life daily.

If I never smoked - maybe I would have done better at school, maybe I would have enjoyed it more.. I'm sure I would have more options in my life now.. just based on the choices I have made...College vs. Uni .. more motivation with my work and opportunities..etc.

For me the biggest aspect of being addicted to pot that I can reflect on is - I do believe that it has contributed to my overall outlook on life and periods of depression.. I would have done alot of things differently if I wasn't 'under the influence'... and now I have to live with that regret and hope I'm strong enough the make the right decisions in the future.

People think smoking pot isn't a big deal.. and it doesn't really effect your life - They are wrong.

Just because its not heroine, crack or meth.. doesn't mean its not a problem. 

Don't be fooled parents!  Smoking pot DOES lead to pills, cocaine and heroin.  My son is living proof.  I just watched the Dr. Phil episode regarding drug addicts.  My son is a mirror image of Brad's drug addicted behavior.  Oh sure, in the beginning it was, "Oh mom, I'm only smoking weed. "  Four years later we went on the roller coaster ride of our lives involving pills, cocaine and now heroin.  This is a nightmare.  A complete and utter nightmare.  My son "thinks" he can beat this addiction on his own.  No possible way.  He claims he is taking methadone (from seedy individuals in all parts of town) to ween himself off heroin.  We can't believe him.  He has lied over and over to his family. He owes thousands of dollars to family members over the past couple of years for his addiction.  My God in heaven when will this stop?  We are a good family.  We work hard and have paid our dues.  My biggest fear is having to bury my 22  year old son over heroin.  I hate heroin.  I loathe heroin.  From the moment I wake up in the morning until I fall asleep my life is consumed with my son's addiction.  And it all started with marijuana.  Don't be fooled parents, don't be fooled!

April 16, 2008, 2:20 pm CDT

This Teenager Needs Help

Just to let this teenager and anyone else. I know a lot of people who don't do drugs. Not everyone does. Plus I think this teenager need help with how to deal with his parents and school. His parents also don't do know how to control their family issues.

April 16, 2008, 2:26 pm CDT

are you kidding

Marijuna drug troubles? meth cocaine crack thats a trouble try to take one of those ppl and take them off it for 3 days. i think this is the least fo the problems here you say your alright with people who drink well why not marijuana is it that much worse? i don't think so just because its "illegal" does this mean its a problem not once in the first half of the show did ou mention the drinking part lets get real here dr.phil i agree with you 99.99% of the time but this time i think your wrong

April 16, 2008, 2:27 pm CDT

why would let your 16 YEAR OLD TO DRINK????

WHY  WOULD YOU LET YOUR SON DRINK?

THEY SHOULD BE PUT INTO JAIL! HOW CAN THEY BE GOOD PARENTS IF THEY DO THIS FOR THEIR

CHILD? I GUESS I DON'T GET THIS.

I HAVE A SON THAT IS 38 AND HE NEVER DID ANY OF THIS.

MY TWO GIRLS DID AND THEY GOT IN BIG T.

THESE PARENTS NEED TO GO TO JAIL ALONG WITH THE SON!!!! HOW CAN THEY SAY THEY ARE DOING RIGHT BY THE SON? WHEN IN FACT THEY ARE NOT.

DR PHIL SHAM ON THIS FAMILY AND THE WHOLE FAMILY NEEDS HELP NOT JUST THE SON BUT BOTH OF THE PARENTS.

MY SISTERS SON JUST WENT TO REHAB AND HE IS STILL IN THE REHAB SO THEY ALL NEED HELP.

WHATS WRONG WITH THIS FAMILY EVERYTHING.MY SISTER DIDNT WANT TO THINK SHE HAD A HAND IN HER SONS BULL CRAP BUT SHE AS MUCH THE BLAME AS HER SON.

IN WI THEY WOULD LET LITTLE KIDS GO INTO BARS THIS WAS IN THE 70'S AND THEY DRANK BEER

IN LITTLE GLASSES AND THANK GOD ALL STATES HAS WENT TO 21 YES AGAIN THANK GOD.

Cinco Dancer Cinco De Mayo 3 Cinco De Mayo 4 Cinco De Mayo 2 Cinco Drinker Cinco Dancer

April 16, 2008, 2:30 pm CDT

04/16 Drug Troubles

What is wrong with parents today? Yes, I can just imagine my mom coming home one afternoon to find me sitting in the driveway smoking pot. HA! And he's alive and well to tell about it. I'm only about 10 years older than him and was amazed at how brazen he is. His father obviously has not stepped up to the plate and now these are the consequences.

Here's an idea: if your child is grounded and they still have friends over, make the friends leave! If you find your kid smoking pot in his room, flush it down the toilet and give him severe consequences. If he sneaks out or is driving around drunk/high, call the cops! YOU are the adult - he is the CHILD.

I have known people like this; they are the cool partying kid in high school who does whatever they want. Little does he realize that in a couple of years,  his life is going to change. No longer will he be the high school party kid, he'll either be a tiny fish in a giant pond on campus or will have to go to work. I would gladly bet that in 10 years, he'll be working at some dead-end job and/or will be unemployed and BROKE. It won't be all fun times and partying. But only if his parents stop enabling him to be so foolish.

April 16, 2008, 2:30 pm CDT

04/16 Drug Troubles

wow this is ridicuous drug rehab for smoking some pot ?? Let's put everyone who drinks a beer or two a night in rehab also...

April 16, 2008, 2:33 pm CDT

My GOD this is exactly like my son

My son is going to be 18 in August he is always high. We have been going to all kinds of councelors he really needs a rehab but they tell me I can't force him. Can anyone please help me I can't believe I am supposed to just sit back and watch my baby destroy himself.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last