Message Boards

Topic : 04/22 Secrets inside the Compound

Number of Replies: 467
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:22:21 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Last week police conducted a stunning raid which resulted in hundreds of women and children being removed from a polygamist compound in Eldorado, Texas. On this 1,700-acre ranch, formerly led by Warren Jeffs of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, children were allegedly sexually abused by older men, and girls as young as 14 allegedly had babies. Dr. Phil goes on location in Colorado City, where he first covered this sect three years ago and where some members of the religious group still live. For the next two days, he explores the psychological ramifications of children being taken from the only lifestyle they knew. Then, Eldorado townspeople weigh in on this unfolding drama. Helen, a volunteer, says she was shocked to see such young girls pregnant and married, and she shows the Dr. Phil cameras what life was like for these kids immediately after they were removed from the compound. Plus, Dr. Phil talks to Warren Jeffs’ niece, Naomi, who escaped from this bizarre religious sect at age 13. His cameras stayed with her every step of the way as she tried to get past police check points, desperate to find the sisters she left behind 16 years ago. And, Naomi meets another woman who escaped the FLDS religious group, Carolyn Jessop, who was married to the second-in-command at Warren Jeffs’ organization and had eight children with him while she says she was trapped inside this sect. Find out the devastating news Carolyn shares with Naomi. Will Naomi’s search finally reunite her with the family she left behind? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 18, 2008, 3:46 pm CDT

04/22 Secrets inside the Compound

I was wondering if DrP would weigh in on this. I wonder if the mothers will talk to him. You know, I know this has to be hard on the women and children being separated. But, as far as I have seen on the news CPS followed the rules. It's on such a large scale. The kids probably don't understand what's going on at all. It IS horrible to know that those youngs girls are being raised to think that it's o.k. to be married to those older men at such a tender age. The women are all so soft spoken, it is kind of eerie like they've been programmed to speak that way. (And I'm sure they have been programmed to be the way they are )It's all really sad isn't it? And really, after the first wife, are they REALLY legally married? I doubt that they would want anyone's sympathy but I truly feel sorry for these sad, brainwashed women and thier children. It is reported that these women learn to be submissive to thier husbands. That they don't cut thier hair and that they wash thier husband's feet with thier hair. That they don't believe in crying and laughing. That the only way they can get into Heaven is to be submissive and follow thier husband's commands. I wonder where God fits into this picture? It seems to be all about the men being in complete, total power. Yet, the men don't choose thier wives, the leader chooses them from a book with a list of the females' names called the Joy Book. Isn't this just a sad mess?

April 18, 2008, 4:29 pm CDT

I just hope Sarah is Safe

Quote From: housewife52

I was wondering if DrP would weigh in on this. I wonder if the mothers will talk to him. You know, I know this has to be hard on the women and children being separated. But, as far as I have seen on the news CPS followed the rules. It's on such a large scale. The kids probably don't understand what's going on at all. It IS horrible to know that those youngs girls are being raised to think that it's o.k. to be married to those older men at such a tender age. The women are all so soft spoken, it is kind of eerie like they've been programmed to speak that way. (And I'm sure they have been programmed to be the way they are )It's all really sad isn't it? And really, after the first wife, are they REALLY legally married? I doubt that they would want anyone's sympathy but I truly feel sorry for these sad, brainwashed women and thier children. It is reported that these women learn to be submissive to thier husbands. That they don't cut thier hair and that they wash thier husband's feet with thier hair. That they don't believe in crying and laughing. That the only way they can get into Heaven is to be submissive and follow thier husband's commands. I wonder where God fits into this picture? It seems to be all about the men being in complete, total power. Yet, the men don't choose thier wives, the leader chooses them from a book with a list of the females' names called the Joy Book. Isn't this just a sad mess?

I fear greatly as to the fate of the courageous young woman known as "Sarah" who called for help and brought an end to what amounts to a "Rape Ranch" in my opinion. As far as I'm concerned calling that place a "Rape Ranch" is more than apt - those men were raping girls as young as 13 - and it's incredibly offensive that the media keeps saying they were "married" to these men - married my foot - you CANNOT marry a thirteen year old child!

I hope they find Sarah safe and sound - but I have a terrible feeling in my gut.

April 18, 2008, 5:43 pm CDT

Quote From: ihvnoidea

I fear greatly as to the fate of the courageous young woman known as "Sarah" who called for help and brought an end to what amounts to a "Rape Ranch" in my opinion. As far as I'm concerned calling that place a "Rape Ranch" is more than apt - those men were raping girls as young as 13 - and it's incredibly offensive that the media keeps saying they were "married" to these men - married my foot - you CANNOT marry a thirteen year old child!

I hope they find Sarah safe and sound - but I have a terrible feeling in my gut.

As far as marrying, I don't think they are legally married to any but the first wife. And I agree, you cannot marry a 13 year old anyway. Another thing, why is it that only the wives are going to court trying to get thier children back? Where are the men in this? Are the children considered illegimate who are born to the 2nd, 3rd and so on wives? I hope the girl who called for help is safe also.

April 18, 2008, 5:44 pm CDT

Quote From: ihvnoidea

As far as marrying, I don't think they are legally married to any but the first wife. And I agree, you cannot marry a 13 year old anyway. Another thing, why is it that only the wives are going to court trying to get thier children back? Where are the men in this? Are the children considered illegitimate who are born to the 2nd, 3rd and so on wives? I hope the girl who called for help is safe also.

April 18, 2008, 5:51 pm CDT

soft spoken,,,,

I saw some of the women on one of those morning shows.  They were being asked questions by Meredith Viera and they either didn't understand the questions or they were "programmed" as you said to dodge them.  And they were SO soft spoken that you could barely make out what they said (I had to use the closed captions).  When asked about the 13 year old child brides, they started talking about "loving" their kids....yuck, why not just admit that they marry these tweens to gross older men who are already married?  I'm surprised to see a strict sect of LDS (?) in Texas, but if they're way out in Hell's half-acre, who knows what they can get away with. 

In Texas, the you can't legally marry a child under the age of 16, so there maybe some legal issues there with that and the culture of underage sex.  Also, polygamy in Texas is illegal, although many polygamist followers don't get marriage licenses, so there's not a legal paper trail.  Their "religion" isn't being brought  to trial, but their illegal practices derived from their beliefs. 

I know that the FLDS also has compounds in Arizona and Utah, and that the government also went after them for child abuse, tax fraud,etc. 

April 18, 2008, 5:58 pm CDT

Have a bad feeling...

As far as marrying, I don't think they are legally married to any but the first wife. And I agree, you cannot marry a 13 year old anyway. Another thing, why is it that only the wives are going to court trying to get thier children back? Where are the men in this? Are the children considered illegitimate who are born to the 2nd, 3rd and so on wives? I hope the girl who called for help is safe also.

I don't know.  The girl "Sarah" who reported the abuse was never identified, I have a feeling they'll find her buried somewhere (I know, I'm sort of a pessimist here).  The fact that the other children aren't saying anything other than they "know" her and the fact that she reported abuse and rape, makes me think that she was trying to get out, like similar abuse victims and that's when she was killed.  By her husband or by the community, no one knows.  To me, this is just communal abuse, the men abuse their wives and the brainwashed women abuse themselves by allowing it to continue and adding to the psychological abuse of other women. 

April 18, 2008, 8:28 pm CDT

Evil people

What was going on in these compounds was disgusting. Old guys raping little girls and marrying them! The women are so brainwashed they can tell right from wrong anymore. I hope the law keeps these kids out from these monster's hands forever.

April 19, 2008, 10:30 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Com Doctor Inside Phil Pound Secrets The. This is the one in Texas when they raid the compound last----

couple year back. See you on Tuesday April 22nd, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------

April 19, 2008, 4:08 pm CDT

Quote From: gwarrior6

I don't know.  The girl "Sarah" who reported the abuse was never identified, I have a feeling they'll find her buried somewhere (I know, I'm sort of a pessimist here).  The fact that the other children aren't saying anything other than they "know" her and the fact that she reported abuse and rape, makes me think that she was trying to get out, like similar abuse victims and that's when she was killed.  By her husband or by the community, no one knows.  To me, this is just communal abuse, the men abuse their wives and the brainwashed women abuse themselves by allowing it to continue and adding to the psychological abuse of other women. 

I guess I am hoping that she is "hidden" somewhere by someone. The problem with that is by whom, and they really need her to help make the case. I agree, there is a chance she is dead. I hate to think it, but if she's still alive, where in the world is she? Some say there never was a call from a 16 year old asking for help, I believe there was. I saw on the news this morning, they are not releasing the children. I wonder how this is being explained to them? I guess we'll find out a little more about this aspect , on the show on Tuesday. I believe in the long run, the children would be better off not going back ever. But, how sad is that? Unless their mothers are willing to leave also and try to change the way they are living thier lives, what chance do these kids really have for a normal life?I know normal is subject to interpretation and I'm guessing most of those people feel that the way they are living is acceptable and right. But let's face it, that place is so far from anything reasonable and normal, it's pathetic.

April 19, 2008, 5:19 pm CDT

I hope the kids are put in foster homes with lots of animals/pets in them.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last