Message Boards

Topic : 04/22 Secrets inside the Compound

Number of Replies: 467
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:22:21 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Last week police conducted a stunning raid which resulted in hundreds of women and children being removed from a polygamist compound in Eldorado, Texas. On this 1,700-acre ranch, formerly led by Warren Jeffs of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, children were allegedly sexually abused by older men, and girls as young as 14 allegedly had babies. Dr. Phil goes on location in Colorado City, where he first covered this sect three years ago and where some members of the religious group still live. For the next two days, he explores the psychological ramifications of children being taken from the only lifestyle they knew. Then, Eldorado townspeople weigh in on this unfolding drama. Helen, a volunteer, says she was shocked to see such young girls pregnant and married, and she shows the Dr. Phil cameras what life was like for these kids immediately after they were removed from the compound. Plus, Dr. Phil talks to Warren Jeffs’ niece, Naomi, who escaped from this bizarre religious sect at age 13. His cameras stayed with her every step of the way as she tried to get past police check points, desperate to find the sisters she left behind 16 years ago. And, Naomi meets another woman who escaped the FLDS religious group, Carolyn Jessop, who was married to the second-in-command at Warren Jeffs’ organization and had eight children with him while she says she was trapped inside this sect. Find out the devastating news Carolyn shares with Naomi. Will Naomi’s search finally reunite her with the family she left behind? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 20, 2008, 10:12 am CDT

Anyone else wonder about this??

I wonder how many women AND children who've been raped by the men - have contracted an STD ??.

I don't believe for one minute, ALL the adults in this 'gated' community are disease free.  NO WAY.

The men cannot keep it in their pants - and I believe most of them have had sex outside the compound - repeatedly.

April 20, 2008, 10:40 am CDT

Are you kidding me?

Quote From: memasue

After the fury of the FLDS has passed maybe Dr. Phil and co. can go and bother the Amish! I hear that they also abuse their children. OH...that's right...they aren't quite as bad because they don't practice polygamy!

A hundred years ago nobody thought anything about a girl marrying at 13, 14 or 15. Why can't people be allowed to live their lives the way that they see fit, the way that works for them? What happenned to religious freedom in this country? Or does that only apply to people who the majority consider to be "morally correct"?

Leave these poor people alone and let the children go home to the families that love them!

This sect of FLDS cannot be anywhere near compared to the Omish (do your homework my friend) this raid was an act of hope for these children who are nothing but future child brides to breed more child brides. What type of life is that for them? They are born into this culture and they have NO CHOICE to decide if this is what they want for their lives. The Omish are given a choice to see if this is the lifestyle they want for their future. The Omish are free to decide, these children of the FLDS are  nothing more then excused sex slaves for the sake of religion (serioulsy do your homework before you post such an irresponsible post). These people dont even know what they dont know. I am all for letting poeple live their religion and to live their culture but this is neither, this is blantant abuse on so many levels AND they are BREAKING THE LAW, when is breaking the law ok? putting all the emotions aside, the bottom line is people can isloate themselves all they want and feel like they are their own country with their own laws, but we live in America and we have to live within the bounds of the laws set up for us citizens. These leaders of the FLDS ARE NOT THE LAW MAKERS FOR THESE CHILDRENS FUTURE these children deserve the right to have a CHOICE!!!

April 20, 2008, 10:57 am CDT

04/22 Secrets inside the Compound

After the fury of the FLDS has passed maybe Dr. Phil and co. can go and bother the Amish! I hear that they also abuse their children. OH...that's right...they aren't quite as bad because they don't practice polygamy!

A hundred years ago nobody thought anything about a girl marrying at 13, 14 or 15. Why can't people be allowed to live their lives the way that they see fit, the way that works for them? What happenned to religious freedom in this country? Or does that only apply to people who the majority consider to be "morally correct"?

Leave these poor people alone and let the children go home to the families that love them!

Hi! I would encourage you to go online and type in "Warren Jeffs" and you will find a lot of information about this particular religious group. I don't think you realize how these people are living. It's beyond anything that can be considered reasonable. I could type in some of the information here, but I don't hardly know where to begin. Please, go and read some more about it and then get back to me.

April 20, 2008, 12:01 pm CDT

Quote From: gwarrior6

What is the right thing to do here?  If you have a religion that focuses on this (what I and most consider to be) abuse as integral to their beliefs, then their belief system ends up on trial as well.  It's like a situation where you have human sacrifice as a religious belief, people would be murdered, but then you have religious freedom.  It's amazing the amount of crap people try to get away with "in the name of God".  Please, rape, abuse, exploitation of women....these shouldn't be a part of ANY belief system, and you can't have a bunch of sociopaths that think they can cross any boundary and claim that God told them to. 

I believe that we all have rights as human beings. I think the rights of these children and , at least, the women who don't want to participate in this lifestyle, and who feel afraid and trapped, should be upheld. How, is another matter altogether. What is happening now, is a beginning, IMO. I have always leaned toward the separation of church and state, but in this situation, this particular church is in dire need of a state intervention. I'm just not sure how this can play out.  I have read that the last time a serious attempt was made at outside intervention, was in 1953, when then Arizona governor, Howard Pyle, arrested 2 dozen local men and placed about 200 children in foster homes. I have not been able to find the whole story on this, I don't know where in Arizona this happened. But the outcome was, that images of crying kids being torn away from thier mothers had a boomerang effect and the gov. lost his re-election bid. (And some of the posters here are saying "Butt out, let the kids go back to thier mothers." ) Since then the community has been left to it's own devices-and those of the prophet. Of course now, Warren Jeffs is in jail and I don't know how much power he has from his cell. I think, if the proper authorities could just get thier foot in the door and this community could be more closely monitored  by local agencies, like CPS maybe some positive changes could come about. I realize that this is almost an impossiblity because they are so against outsiders. And a big reason for that I suspect is because those in power know exactly how the outside world is going to react to thier outrageous practices. I suspect that those in power are fully aware that what they are doing is wrong. I'm not sure they really believe that what they are doing has anything to do with God or what God wants. I think they know  it has to do with power. For the prophet, Jeffs, I think it had to do with power over the whole community. And for the older men, I think it's about power over women and keeping women beaten down and submissive. I think they are just using God and Heaven as a front.  

April 20, 2008, 1:40 pm CDT

Religious freedom STOPS once you begin to hurt other people.

13, 14, 15 year old CHILDREN don't have mature enough brains to make a fully informed decision about who to marry. These sick cults have to raise these girl up and brainwash them through their entire lives so they literally have NO CHOICE in the matter.

Marriage should be for ADULTS only.

April 20, 2008, 2:52 pm CDT

Sect: exploiting kids

I am so shocked at the heighth of the inhumanity that this sect has.  I have read Carolyn Jessup's book Escape, so I knew about the Lost Boys, which was the abandonment for the boys forced out, and I read about the hateful things these men have gotten away with the little girls.  Pile on that  separation anxiety by the kids taken from the El Dorado compound.  Yet, law enforcement should have stepped in years ago.  Oh, my they are separated from so much---all those real brothers, and sisters, half-brothers and half-sisters, and Mom's and sister-Moms.  However, you have to start somewhere to get rid of this filth.  There are so many people in America, or even abroad, who would love these kids back to life.  These kids are not really living.

April 20, 2008, 3:18 pm CDT

I don't think what they are doing is BOTHERING, but I think they are RESCUING..... the teen girls who don't  want to be married to 50 yr old already married men.  I think it seems drastic.... but I think they tried to be diplomatic a few years ago and it did not change the practice.  I think its very tangled and there is probably no perfect way to handle the situation.  I mean you could bring in a new Latter Days Saints Pastor to the compound with a good reputation to help bring about reform?  but even then the 19 yr olds who don't want to be married to their 55 yr old husband with other wives...  then should they divorce him and move to another state with the kids and what about the visitation?  **sigh**

Amish people dress the same, but have a open door policy to the rest of the world.  They are a good example and there is nothing to hide.  I personally think they mind their own business and are peaceful. Anyone who has visited knows you can gets great homegrown produce and quality handmade products.  I think in this compound there is a barred gate:  no one comes in and no one goes out.

April 20, 2008, 5:38 pm CDT

Quote From: gwarrior6

What is the right thing to do here?  If you have a religion that focuses on this (what I and most consider to be) abuse as integral to their beliefs, then their belief system ends up on trial as well.  It's like a situation where you have human sacrifice as a religious belief, people would be murdered, but then you have religious freedom.  It's amazing the amount of crap people try to get away with "in the name of God".  Please, rape, abuse, exploitation of women....these shouldn't be a part of ANY belief system, and you can't have a bunch of sociopaths that think they can cross any boundary and claim that God told them to. 

Sociopaths are the type of people who "think they can cross any boundary and claim that God told them to." 

These are the people that are "special."  The rules binding us lesser folks to following the rules of normal society do not apply to them.  They listen to God, or any lunatic claiming he speaks to God, directly.    

April 20, 2008, 5:42 pm CDT

Australia

Quote From: lvacffeshp

I hope the kids are put in foster homes with lots of animals/pets in them.

I live in Australia and it is so frustrating when I see advertised shows (like this one -) that are airing in the US, but we have to wait for ages before we get a chance to see it. Could Dr Phil arrange for his shows to be watched over the internet? That would be tops!

April 20, 2008, 6:59 pm CDT

RANGERS CONFIRM PROBE OF WOMAN'S CALLS

Texas officials confirmed Friday that a Colorado Springs woman is a "person of interest" regarding telephone calls placed to a crisis hotline before a massive child-protection raid on a polygamist compound.

http://www.denverpost.com/skireport/ci_8971925 

The Texas Ranger Division of the Texas Department Public Safety said in a press release that it was "actively pursuing" an ongoing investigation of Rozita Swinton and said they accompanied Colorado Springs police when they executed a search warrant at her home on Wednesday. 

Hope it helps!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last