Message Boards

Topic : 04/22 Secrets inside the Compound

Number of Replies: 467
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:22:21 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Last week police conducted a stunning raid which resulted in hundreds of women and children being removed from a polygamist compound in Eldorado, Texas. On this 1,700-acre ranch, formerly led by Warren Jeffs of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, children were allegedly sexually abused by older men, and girls as young as 14 allegedly had babies. Dr. Phil goes on location in Colorado City, where he first covered this sect three years ago and where some members of the religious group still live. For the next two days, he explores the psychological ramifications of children being taken from the only lifestyle they knew. Then, Eldorado townspeople weigh in on this unfolding drama. Helen, a volunteer, says she was shocked to see such young girls pregnant and married, and she shows the Dr. Phil cameras what life was like for these kids immediately after they were removed from the compound. Plus, Dr. Phil talks to Warren Jeffs’ niece, Naomi, who escaped from this bizarre religious sect at age 13. His cameras stayed with her every step of the way as she tried to get past police check points, desperate to find the sisters she left behind 16 years ago. And, Naomi meets another woman who escaped the FLDS religious group, Carolyn Jessop, who was married to the second-in-command at Warren Jeffs’ organization and had eight children with him while she says she was trapped inside this sect. Find out the devastating news Carolyn shares with Naomi. Will Naomi’s search finally reunite her with the family she left behind? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 20, 2008, 9:01 pm CDT

These poor children

Quote From: housewife52

I was wondering if DrP would weigh in on this. I wonder if the mothers will talk to him. You know, I know this has to be hard on the women and children being separated. But, as far as I have seen on the news CPS followed the rules. It's on such a large scale. The kids probably don't understand what's going on at all. It IS horrible to know that those youngs girls are being raised to think that it's o.k. to be married to those older men at such a tender age. The women are all so soft spoken, it is kind of eerie like they've been programmed to speak that way. (And I'm sure they have been programmed to be the way they are )It's all really sad isn't it? And really, after the first wife, are they REALLY legally married? I doubt that they would want anyone's sympathy but I truly feel sorry for these sad, brainwashed women and thier children. It is reported that these women learn to be submissive to thier husbands. That they don't cut thier hair and that they wash thier husband's feet with thier hair. That they don't believe in crying and laughing. That the only way they can get into Heaven is to be submissive and follow thier husband's commands. I wonder where God fits into this picture? It seems to be all about the men being in complete, total power. Yet, the men don't choose thier wives, the leader chooses them from a book with a list of the females' names called the Joy Book. Isn't this just a sad mess?
How sad that most of these children don't even know what is going on.  They just are KIDS, afterall.  they want to run, play and have fun like most children but I'm wondering if they actually DO.  In modern-day technology, with all of our knowledge that we have, stupidity stills reins.  How can these women not see what is going on?  How did all this start?  If it's been going on for years, doesn't that make them ALL ,...I don't know; alike, relatively speaking? And that may not be the exact word, but I did notice the women looked alike, in a mongolism-way.  Not to be disrespectful, but there seemed to be "SOMETHING" about them, more in a "Stepford-Wives-type" way.

April 20, 2008, 9:58 pm CDT

04/22 Secrets inside the Compound

Quote From: memasue

After the fury of the FLDS has passed maybe Dr. Phil and co. can go and bother the Amish! I hear that they also abuse their children. OH...that's right...they aren't quite as bad because they don't practice polygamy!

A hundred years ago nobody thought anything about a girl marrying at 13, 14 or 15. Why can't people be allowed to live their lives the way that they see fit, the way that works for them? What happenned to religious freedom in this country? Or does that only apply to people who the majority consider to be "morally correct"?

Leave these poor people alone and let the children go home to the families that love them!

I would hope to believe that we progressed since a 100 years ago.

'Love" is such an ambigious word at times.  I mean, do you think these families "loved" the 400 or so male children they kicked out of their warm and "loving" bossom.   The 400 or so "lost boys" that had no education, no money, no basic needs being met (e.g. food, clothing, shelter).  Were the families showing "love" to the little girls that they forced into "loveless" marriages.  Damn, that kind of love can kill.

Here, in North America, our founders decided to make religion and state seperate.  Our fouders came to this very wise decision due to accumulated knowledge and experiences from over 100 years ago. See, we wanted a great country with LAWS, and not just religion.  This religious sect has been found guilty of breaking such laws. They are guilty of child labor laws, marital age laws, child molestation laws, rape laws and education laws.  In this country parents can and do go to jail for not providing proper education for their children.  These people weren't even homeschooling past the age of 7 or 8 years-old.  How the hell can this happen in America!

You might say that these people are not our concern...that they are not our problem.  We should simply leave these "loving" families be.  But, I beg to differ.  As soon as 1 of those 400 "lost boys" were dumped on our doorstep to provide for, it became our concern...our problem. 

April 20, 2008, 10:12 pm CDT

This religious sect is Taliban-like

I just finished A 1000 Shining Suns, which is a follow-up to The Kite Runner.  Both books discuss the Taliban rule in great detail.  I'm telling you, the similarities in this religious sect and the Taliban were too close for comfort.

April 21, 2008, 7:30 am CDT

Not to be rude but......

Quote From: enyadreams

I THINK THE STATE SHOULD KEEP THEIR NOSES OUT AND LEAVE THOSE CHILDREN WITH THEIR MOTHERS AND NOT TRAMATIZE THOSE POOR CHILDREN! YOU KNOW THEY ARE JUST GOUING TO BE PUT IN FOSTER HOMES AND THE OTHER CHILDREN ARE GOING TO RIDICULE THEM AND PICK ON THEM AND CAUSE THEM TO HAVE ALOT MORE EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS!! WHAT IS TO BE DONE WITH ALL OF THEM? IT'S A CRYIN SHAME THAT CHILDREN CAN JUST BE TORN AWAY FROM THEIR MAMAS THE WAY THE STATE GETS TO DO TO THEM AND WHY, TO PUT THEM IN A CONCENTRATION CAMP , SO TO SPEAK  AND MAKE THEM CRY IN ANGUISH NIGHT AFTER NIGHT AND GET SICK? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE ???????????

LET THEM GO HOME TO THEIR  MAMAS!!  

Not to be rude, but I think foster care is a little better than being 13, pregnant and married to a 50 year old man, no? OR is it okay for a 16 year old girl to already have 4 children? This has nothing to do with religion, but sexual abuse. Every child needs their mother, but keep in mind it is a mother's job to protect her child, not giver her 12 year old girl up for marriage to a 40 year old man.

April 21, 2008, 7:41 am CDT

WOMAN HISTORY HOAX CALLS - RELEASE SARAH'S VICTIMS

A Colorado woman with a history of making phony reports to police has been named by Texas Rangers as a "person of interest" who could have made the calls to a women's shelter that sparked the FLDS compound raid.

Rozita Estraletta Swinton, 33, was arrested by police at her Colorado Springs apartment Wednesday. Swinton's arrest came after the Texas Rangers contacted local authorities about a possible connection between Swinton and the raid on the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints ranch earlier this month.

http://m.denverpost.com/articles/81823815

www.sltrib.com  (search for:  who is sarah)

But growing evidence indicates Swinton repeatedly made calls to authorities in multiple jurisdictions, setting off large emergency responses that sometimes involved dozens of police officers. Swinton was released Friday from the El Paso County Jail after posting $20,000 bail.

PETITION TO FREE FLDS MEMBERS OF RAID

We, the undersigned, urge Texan authorities to free the innocent women, children, and other members of the Fundamentalist LDS Church who are currently being detained.  We demand that the Constitutional rights of the innocent be preserved, and that due process be served. 

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/free-the-innocent-flds 

As individuals are innocent until proven guilty, we call upon the Texas Governor to intervene in this matter and allow the women and children to return to their homes peacefully.  We also demand an apology, most especially from the Texas CPS, for the heinous acts of aggression displayed in these recent events.

Hope it helps!

April 21, 2008, 8:37 am CDT

INCEST 2X MORE LIKELY IN FAMILIES WITH ALCOHOLICS

According to the best estimates, about one in eight Americans - more than 30 million - are products of alcoholic homes.  

Blue Ribbon Against Child Abuse

My name is Sarah
I am but three,
My eyes are swollen
I cannot see,

I must be stupid,
I must be bad,
What else could have made
My daddy so mad?

I wish I were better,
I wish I weren't ugly,
Then maybe my Mommy
Would still want to hug me.

I can't speak at all,
I can't do a wrong
Or else I'm locked up
All the day long.

When I awake I'm all alone
The house is dark
My folks aren't home.

When my Mommy does come
I'll try and be nice,
So maybe I'll get just
One whipping tonight.

Don't make a sound!
I just heard a car
My daddy is back
From Charlie's Bar.

I hear him curse
My name he calls
I press myself
Against the wall.

I try and hide
From his evil eyes
I'm so afraid now
I'm starting to cry.

He finds me weeping
He shouts ugly words,
He says its my fault
That he suffers at work.

He slaps me and hits me
And yells at me more,
I finally get free
And I run for the door.

He's already locked it
And I start to bawl,
He takes me and throws me
Against the hard wall.

I fall to the floor
With my bones nearly broken,
And my daddy continues
With more bad words spoken.

"I'm sorry!" I scream
But it's now much too late
His face has been twisted
Into unimaginable hate.

The hurt and the pain
Again and again
Oh please God, have mercy!
Oh please let it end!

And he finally stops
And heads for the door,
While I lay there motionless
Sprawled on the floor.

My name is Sarah
And I am but three,
Tonight my daddy
Murdered me. 

The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse & Alcoholism says that 6.6 million children are living with an alcoholic parent now. 

April 21, 2008, 10:42 am CDT

Delayed viewing

Quote From: westaway1

I live in Australia and it is so frustrating when I see advertised shows (like this one -) that are airing in the US, but we have to wait for ages before we get a chance to see it. Could Dr Phil arrange for his shows to be watched over the internet? That would be tops!

Yes, we have to wait ages to see the programs, too, our darn cable company wants to save money. The older the shows are the cheaper,

And I would like to see this one, because it is so relevant to some situations in the Middle East, too!

April 21, 2008, 10:46 am CDT

04/22 Secrets inside the Compound

Quote From: roaringredhead

I just finished A 1000 Shining Suns, which is a follow-up to The Kite Runner.  Both books discuss the Taliban rule in great detail.  I'm telling you, the similarities in this religious sect and the Taliban were too close for comfort.

I haven't read the book, because I didn't like The Kite Runner, but in Reading Lolita in Teheran, we are told the age a girl can marry in Iran is nine!

Here in Israel it is 17-1/2 (for both boys and girls).

Fundamentalist Jews and Arabs are trying to lower it, but without success, so they just have secret religious ceremonies that they don't register with the authorities. As far as they are concerned, since the marriages are religious they are legal to them.

April 21, 2008, 10:51 am CDT

They waterboard Babies!

Quote From: memasue

After the fury of the FLDS has passed maybe Dr. Phil and co. can go and bother the Amish! I hear that they also abuse their children. OH...that's right...they aren't quite as bad because they don't practice polygamy!

A hundred years ago nobody thought anything about a girl marrying at 13, 14 or 15. Why can't people be allowed to live their lives the way that they see fit, the way that works for them? What happenned to religious freedom in this country? Or does that only apply to people who the majority consider to be "morally correct"?

Leave these poor people alone and let the children go home to the families that love them!

Are you insane they are nothing like the Amish community! There is nothing wrong with living a simpler life so long as you’re not grossly abusive to children. The fathers take young infants, spank them until they cry hysterically and then run them under a faucet. They do this over and over again until the baby is exhausted, and they do it when they are young enough to not remember but so the fear is imprinted in their mind. They call it breaking. Did you see those women, I’ve never seen people more disassociated in my life. All I can say, and as much as I am not a Texas fan, but thank GOD for Texas.

There needs to be national support for this malignant cult. All of the children from all of Warren Jeff’s little communities of horror need to be removed. There needs to be some sort of government funded rehabilitation program for all of the victims involved, especially the women and children. It is not an Amish community, Amish people are kind, hard working and good. These people are broken, brainwashed and victims of one VERY SICK MAN. He should be executed for his crimes against humanity…publicly

April 21, 2008, 11:13 am CDT

Agreeing

Quote From: truthnjustice

I think those "Old guys" as you say, are nothing but PEDOPHILES and RAPISTS.

The woman have been brainwashed:  I recently saw an interview on a morning show and the look in those women's faces told it all - blank.  They were EMOTIONLESS.  They have been beaten (literally) down so bad, by these abusers.

I wish Dr. Phil and other media people would QUIT using the term "ALLEDGED", when it comes to discribing young children being pregnant.  Some of us have seen it with our own eyes!!!.  Let's stick with the FACTS.  The fact is:  CHILDREN are being raped and forced to marry their RAPISTS.

The best thing that could've happened is the State stepped in and removed the children.  Anyone who says otherwise is BLIND and truly IN DENIAL.

Oh I agree 100 percent about the pedophiles in that place. The wmen are so programmed and brainwashed it's insane. They don't deserve these kids. I hope the law keeps the kids away from these monsters forever.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last