Message Boards

Topic : 04/22 Secrets inside the Compound

Number of Replies: 467
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:22:21 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Last week police conducted a stunning raid which resulted in hundreds of women and children being removed from a polygamist compound in Eldorado, Texas. On this 1,700-acre ranch, formerly led by Warren Jeffs of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, children were allegedly sexually abused by older men, and girls as young as 14 allegedly had babies. Dr. Phil goes on location in Colorado City, where he first covered this sect three years ago and where some members of the religious group still live. For the next two days, he explores the psychological ramifications of children being taken from the only lifestyle they knew. Then, Eldorado townspeople weigh in on this unfolding drama. Helen, a volunteer, says she was shocked to see such young girls pregnant and married, and she shows the Dr. Phil cameras what life was like for these kids immediately after they were removed from the compound. Plus, Dr. Phil talks to Warren Jeffs’ niece, Naomi, who escaped from this bizarre religious sect at age 13. His cameras stayed with her every step of the way as she tried to get past police check points, desperate to find the sisters she left behind 16 years ago. And, Naomi meets another woman who escaped the FLDS religious group, Carolyn Jessop, who was married to the second-in-command at Warren Jeffs’ organization and had eight children with him while she says she was trapped inside this sect. Find out the devastating news Carolyn shares with Naomi. Will Naomi’s search finally reunite her with the family she left behind? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 21, 2008, 11:51 am CDT

I'm with you!

Quote From: enyadreams

I THINK THE STATE SHOULD KEEP THEIR NOSES OUT AND LEAVE THOSE CHILDREN WITH THEIR MOTHERS AND NOT TRAMATIZE THOSE POOR CHILDREN! YOU KNOW THEY ARE JUST GOUING TO BE PUT IN FOSTER HOMES AND THE OTHER CHILDREN ARE GOING TO RIDICULE THEM AND PICK ON THEM AND CAUSE THEM TO HAVE ALOT MORE EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS!! WHAT IS TO BE DONE WITH ALL OF THEM? IT'S A CRYIN SHAME THAT CHILDREN CAN JUST BE TORN AWAY FROM THEIR MAMAS THE WAY THE STATE GETS TO DO TO THEM AND WHY, TO PUT THEM IN A CONCENTRATION CAMP , SO TO SPEAK  AND MAKE THEM CRY IN ANGUISH NIGHT AFTER NIGHT AND GET SICK? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE ???????????

LET THEM GO HOME TO THEIR  MAMAS!!  

I'm with you 100%. Let the children go home to their mothers. Going to foster homes isn't going to prevent abuse at all. Foster parents are usually quite abusive to the foster children they have. The only reason they have them in the first place is to make money off them. They don't care for them!

These kids need to go back home with their mothers, where they are loved and cared for.

April 21, 2008, 1:01 pm CDT

FDLS members

It breaks my heart that some people would want these children returned to the group.I understand that the children are confused and dont understand what is happening. But I have to think about the fact that if the cycle it not broken then it will only continue. I know that the children will be placed into foster care but hopefully they will be able to adjust. I dont think the mothers deserve to get their children back, because the female children will only be groomed for their future as young wives. And some of the male children will be sent out into the world to fend for themselves, as Lost Boys.

April 21, 2008, 1:07 pm CDT

04/22 Secrets inside the Compound

I want to point out that the boys in these compounds are brainwashed too...they are raised from childhood to believe that women are merely sex slaves that pop out babies. That is just as abusive IMO. These boys will probably always have issues with women and it's not their fault.

April 21, 2008, 1:13 pm CDT

Loved and cared for until when...?

Quote From: memasue

I'm with you 100%. Let the children go home to their mothers. Going to foster homes isn't going to prevent abuse at all. Foster parents are usually quite abusive to the foster children they have. The only reason they have them in the first place is to make money off them. They don't care for them!

These kids need to go back home with their mothers, where they are loved and cared for.

Until they are sent to be brides of men old enough to be their fathers at an age when other little girls are developing their batting skills at softball?

There are foster homes and their are foster homes. Hasn't it been suggested that they be fostered by Mormons (the real ones) who have an understanding of the situation?

April 21, 2008, 2:31 pm CDT

The lost...

Quote From: PennyLane78

I want to point out that the boys in these compounds are brainwashed too...they are raised from childhood to believe that women are merely sex slaves that pop out babies. That is just as abusive IMO. These boys will probably always have issues with women and it's not their fault.

The boys leave the compound, but not of their own volition, because they are competition for gross old men.  They have little education, no life skills and are sent out into a world that they were taught to distrust.  It's incredibly cruel to kick them out into the real world after making them live in a bubble their whole lives. 

April 21, 2008, 3:40 pm CDT

Quote From: gwarrior6

The boys leave the compound, but not of their own volition, because they are competition for gross old men.  They have little education, no life skills and are sent out into a world that they were taught to distrust.  It's incredibly cruel to kick them out into the real world after making them live in a bubble their whole lives. 

Yes...this is TERRIBLE. Here in Utah there is an organization called "Lost Boys" and it helps these boys find fostercare homes and adoptive homes along with therapy and other such things...

April 21, 2008, 3:42 pm CDT

The Real Ones

Quote From: marianparoo

Until they are sent to be brides of men old enough to be their fathers at an age when other little girls are developing their batting skills at softball?

There are foster homes and their are foster homes. Hasn't it been suggested that they be fostered by Mormons (the real ones) who have an understanding of the situation?

Thank You! Finally someone has mentioned the difference.

I am very much in favor of this show, and I will certainly be watching it tomorrow, but I was quite frustrated when the promo that aired during today's show said that the FLDS church was a "secret Mormon sect." They are not Mormon at all, and it is extremely distressing that we (real) Mormons should get tagged with this vile and heinous reputation. We are not polygamists. While there was a brief (very brief) period in our church history where a few (only a handful) of people practiced polygamy, we haven't done so since the 1800's! This church was founded by ex-mormons unhappy with our religion and out to start their own...pedophiliac one. The churches are separate. You wouldn't call protestants and baptists the same religion, would you? But they're both Christian! They're both (very old) break-offs from unhappy members of the Catholic Church. Well it is the same. "Mormons" (or LDS) and the members of the FDLS church are not the same. It irks me that a show I like and trust, and that usually does it's homework exceptionally well, would confuse the two religions to make the FLDS church a "secret Mormon sect"

As for fostering the children...I know there are hundreds of us that would be more than willing to take care of those poor children until Texas figures out this mess. I don't think what the FDLS church is doing is right at all, but I do feel bad for the children. And our homes would have a familiar (albeit monogamous) feeling to it, since our gospels share a number of traits.

April 21, 2008, 4:03 pm CDT

Quote From: miffliness

Thank You! Finally someone has mentioned the difference.

I am very much in favor of this show, and I will certainly be watching it tomorrow, but I was quite frustrated when the promo that aired during today's show said that the FLDS church was a "secret Mormon sect." They are not Mormon at all, and it is extremely distressing that we (real) Mormons should get tagged with this vile and heinous reputation. We are not polygamists. While there was a brief (very brief) period in our church history where a few (only a handful) of people practiced polygamy, we haven't done so since the 1800's! This church was founded by ex-mormons unhappy with our religion and out to start their own...pedophiliac one. The churches are separate. You wouldn't call protestants and baptists the same religion, would you? But they're both Christian! They're both (very old) break-offs from unhappy members of the Catholic Church. Well it is the same. "Mormons" (or LDS) and the members of the FDLS church are not the same. It irks me that a show I like and trust, and that usually does it's homework exceptionally well, would confuse the two religions to make the FLDS church a "secret Mormon sect"

As for fostering the children...I know there are hundreds of us that would be more than willing to take care of those poor children until Texas figures out this mess. I don't think what the FDLS church is doing is right at all, but I do feel bad for the children. And our homes would have a familiar (albeit monogamous) feeling to it, since our gospels share a number of traits.

"They are not Mormon at all, and it is extremely distressing that we (real) Mormons should get tagged with this vile and heinous reputation."

Thank YOU! LOL!!!

I am no longer LDS, I am now an atheist, however, I HATE to see lies being told about the Mormon religion. It bugs me to no end when people assume these freak groups have ANYTHING to do with Mormonism.

April 21, 2008, 4:27 pm CDT

"They are not Mormon at all, and it is extremely distressing that we (real) Mormons should get tagged with this vile and heinous reputation."

Thank YOU! LOL!!!

I am no longer LDS, I am now an atheist, however, I HATE to see lies being told about the Mormon religion. It bugs me to no end when people assume these freak groups have ANYTHING to do with Mormonism.

Haha, awesome, and thank you. I'm sorry to hear something drove you away, but I respect your decision to be an athiest. And I am really glad that you still have good enough feelings about the church to be offended when things like this happen. It bugs me too and I really hope the media can get the message and stop reporting them as a mormon religion. Anyway, :) hooray for you and I clarifying things. Lol!

April 21, 2008, 4:37 pm CDT

That's confusing...

Thank YOU! LOL!!!

I see how that could be confusing when they use LDS in their name.  People can get the wrong idea unless they realize the "fundamental" in the name and that it's an extremist sect, and not mainstream Mormonism.  The sect just wants to stamp a familiar name on themselves to justify a group of sick individuals who don't want to be monogamous and have a morally casual attitude towards abuse. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last