Message Boards

Topic : 04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Number of Replies: 450
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:23:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues to examine the controversial Eldorado, Texas raid where 416 children were removed from an extreme religious sect known as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Hear from Eldorado Mayor John Nikolauk, who has presided over the town for 20 years. What are his greatest fears now? Then, Dr. Phil sits down with Franklin and Deloy, two members of the Lost Boys -- young men who leave the polygamous community when they reach the age of puberty. Franklin and Deloy say they had no education past the sixth grade and need help dealing with repressed emotions, especially in the wake of the Eldorado raid. How can they move on with their lives? And, the fate of the 416 children removed from the compound now rests in the hands of lawmakers. Dr. Phil speaks with Gib Walton, President of the Texas state bar and Harper Estes, President Elect of the Texas State Bar to discuss the outcome of the hearings and to sort out custody issues. Plus, find out what you can do to help these children ripped from the only lifestyle they have ever known. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 23, 2008, 6:43 am CDT

What a mess

I heard on the news this morning that mothers who are breastfeeding have been allowed to stay with their babies. I for one am very glad they got the kids out of there. I don't know how it will all end but the mothers don't need to have the children back either. They were there and they allowed all of this to happen to the kids and no matter how you look at it that's wrong. Ignorance is no excuse.

April 23, 2008, 7:09 am CDT

Texas Hasn't a Prayer...

Y'all need to pursue this sect's abuse on charges of polygamy because Texas see's no fault in a man having sex with their MARRIED 16 year old wife, nor a 14 year old, nor 12,nor,10, nor 8 year old, for that matter. The law reads:

"21.11. INDECENCY WITH A CHILD. (A) A person commits and offense if, with a child younger than 17 years and not the person's spouse..."

Legislators of the past essentially gave people like the FLDS leaders a qualifying clause for their abuse of children, and this law has never been changed.This is typical of many southern states.

April 23, 2008, 7:10 am CDT

Fenced In

Quote From: leonaskye

i was a member of the lds and they believe in plural marriages after death-a women on earth can be sealed to her husband for time and all eternity-but in the case of his death she can only be lovingly sealed to her first husband and not the second without a temple divorce-and yet if the women passes he can be remarried and sealed to his next wife bring her home to the after life as a united family...

So in actuality these people are living the standards of zion prior to death prior to the second coming...and yet the church of jesus christ of latter day saints practices this and teaches this as doctrine.

We have communities within our own that eat dogs, that disipline their children with extreme force, we change our veiws to accomidate the religious practices of others and yet condem these people for their beliefs upon an unknown telephone call.

I beleive we have crossed a boundry with these people-regardless of the situations and living conditions children should not be removed from there parents-we do not remove 8 chinese children from a 1 bedroom apartment- we starve our own and feed our immigrants in the name of diversity...

Why now do we feel it is okay to attack those who have minded there own business for such a long time?

It has always been a curiosity upon human nature to expose what they do not know and attack that to which is different-if anything a law should be passed that girls should not be allowed to marry until the age of 16  without proper identification-child molesters or men who fancy young girls should all be sentanced the same and everyone should be entitled to a space to breath love and excersise there own beliefs-EVERYONE not just those who practice in large numbers seperately within there homes but those who feel a compound is there only safe haven...perhaps those gates were put there to keep us out not keep them in...

I do find this situation disturbing in so many degrees-but i have been taught that this behaviour is wrong by my parents there parents and the parents before...am i a prisoner?

From what I've seen, there have been many women who have had to escape from those compounds and in fear for their lives and the lives of their children. Just that alone, says that they are imprisoned.

April 23, 2008, 7:15 am CDT

mental and sexual abuse for these children

My heart goes out for these 400 children from the poligamist camp. these children are being brain washed by their own  mothers, and they are being forced to marry probably their own relatives. in their eyes this is normal but we all know that is sexual and mental abuse. how can it be normal to marry your own cousin and to have to marry a man twise your age at 14 years old. I hope these children never go back to that compund and grow up to live a normal life and specialy to marry in love and with some one they know is special in their hearts and love. God bless these children

April 23, 2008, 7:19 am CDT

Leniency Stems form Tolerance...

Quote From: kathy_hunt

This whole case boggles my mind  first thig being that this han't been stopped before now f theris a gate and fence then you are keeping something in or someone outwhch is a pretty od idication that somehing is wrong. Second the state of Texas is still in theUSA and Ica't belive they don't register births and deaths, that is one lawthat neds to change now! how do they track people in Texas, well they don't.

I believe in America and itscostitution andits laws,  beieve in religious freedom, from persicsion,but I also believe we must liv by the laws of our land and society, and this s so wrong, this s the worst kind of abuse, it is slavery, sexual, mental, and physical abuse by thevery people youare suppose to be able o trust your father and the church.

The govermet needs to ste in andsieze the ranch,and everything of value and sale it and useto help pay ther cost of all the cour case, therapy and DNA testng that is goig to be needed. And all the so called men involved shuld be tied and convicted and marked as a sexual preditor and be monitored closely. And make very sure they don't move andstart over somepla else.

And then I ca't evenbegin to imagion how here in 2008 tha thee women could be so brain washed and can't even think for themselves, they make me so angry.

Tolerance of the influx of illegal aliens in American life, and defense of their illegality has caused this lenience to the point where people don't even have to register births anymore !

This dilemma of lenience then is extended to American's who abuse the system for the sake of secrecy.

I mean: How can you penalize Americans when you won't even do anything about illegal residence of foriegners?

America keeps winking at them, while demanding more of their own kind? What's up with that?

April 23, 2008, 7:20 am CDT

04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Quote From: getrealtime

Mormon Religion is very new compared to others religions, a 100 + years is not so long ago.

if they practice from the Book of Mormon they are Mormon,Just because one part of the branch is embarrassed by the other, doesn't give you right to to take their religion away. They could say the same to you, that the LDS does not practice the Mormon religion to the Principle the primary teaching of it Prophet J. Smith.                                     just a little devils advocate for ya.

The Doc called it, like it is, They are a fundamentalist Mormon Church. remember according to your founder J. Smith and why your religion was started, was that all other religions where wrong, so they can't go to another religion, the Book of mormon is the only religion.

You are wrong. The fundamentalist group is NOT  a part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints. (also known as Mormons). This group was excommunicated many years ago when they refused to stop practicing polygamy. They formed a group of their own as did some others who refused to obey the laws of the land. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints believes in obeying the laws of the land and when polygamy was practiced by them it was NOT against the law. When the US made a law against it polygamy ended in the church.

There never was a practice of old men abusing young women and incest such as what goes on in this group. I find their actions sick and perverted. If you knew your history so well you would also know that many of these men married women who had been left widowed by mobs trying to run them off and killed their husbands. These women had on one to take care of them and for lots of them that was as far as it went. Again I repeat no polygamy has been practiced since the  US made it against the law. It is misleading to call them a branch, sect, or part of the Mormon religion.

April 23, 2008, 7:28 am CDT

victims of the compound

Did anyone else notice when those women of the compound were giving a tour of the place and all that was hanging on the wall was a picture of a twice convicted sex offender, Warren Jeffs? < Now what is that telling the world?

April 23, 2008, 7:58 am CDT

04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Quote From: leonaskye

i was a member of the lds and they believe in plural marriages after death-a women on earth can be sealed to her husband for time and all eternity-but in the case of his death she can only be lovingly sealed to her first husband and not the second without a temple divorce-and yet if the women passes he can be remarried and sealed to his next wife bring her home to the after life as a united family...

So in actuality these people are living the standards of zion prior to death prior to the second coming...and yet the church of jesus christ of latter day saints practices this and teaches this as doctrine.

We have communities within our own that eat dogs, that disipline their children with extreme force, we change our veiws to accomidate the religious practices of others and yet condem these people for their beliefs upon an unknown telephone call.

I beleive we have crossed a boundry with these people-regardless of the situations and living conditions children should not be removed from there parents-we do not remove 8 chinese children from a 1 bedroom apartment- we starve our own and feed our immigrants in the name of diversity...

Why now do we feel it is okay to attack those who have minded there own business for such a long time?

It has always been a curiosity upon human nature to expose what they do not know and attack that to which is different-if anything a law should be passed that girls should not be allowed to marry until the age of 16  without proper identification-child molesters or men who fancy young girls should all be sentanced the same and everyone should be entitled to a space to breath love and excersise there own beliefs-EVERYONE not just those who practice in large numbers seperately within there homes but those who feel a compound is there only safe haven...perhaps those gates were put there to keep us out not keep them in...

I do find this situation disturbing in so many degrees-but i have been taught that this behaviour is wrong by my parents there parents and the parents before...am i a prisoner?

you have a gift for putting words to print, you touch on many good points, to answer your question are you a prisoner? yes, we all are, we have all been imprisoned in a mortal body on this planet, and we must work and live by the sweat of our brows, as far as laws go, god gave us all a sure fired fool proof way to know whats right and whats wrong, all we have to do is look to the heavens and feel with our hearts, NO MATTER HOW WE ARE RAISED GOD SPEAKS TO ALL AND ALL KNOW RIGHT FROM WRONG, yeah I'm sure those gates were put Thar to keep us out and them in, THE CHILDREN ARE NO MORE THAN LIVE STOCK RAISED FOR BREEDING TO THESE KIND OF PEOPLE, LIKE CATTLE IN A FIELD FENCES ARE NEEDED TO KEEP THEM IN, THE ADULTS ALL KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO THOSE CHILDREN IS WRONG, EVERY ONE ON THIS PLANET HAS AND DESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE WHO THEY MARRY AND HAVE CHILDREN WITH, CHILDREN WERE NOT GIVEN TO US TO SELL OFF TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER, AS ADULTS WE CHOSE HOW AND WHO WE LIVE WITH AND WE CHOOSE AS TO WHAT KIND OF A LIFE STYLE WE LIVE, IF WERE HAPPY WITH OUR LIFE ALL IS WELL, THAT WAS WHAT GOD GAVE US CHOICES FOR, THE CHILDREN HAVE NOT BEEN ALLOWED TO HAVE AND USE WHAT GOD GAVE TO THEM. [ A CHOICE ] .

April 23, 2008, 8:50 am CDT

I agree

Quote From: kennyllc

Y'all need to pursue this sect's abuse on charges of polygamy because Texas see's no fault in a man having sex with their MARRIED 16 year old wife, nor a 14 year old, nor 12,nor,10, nor 8 year old, for that matter. The law reads:

"21.11. INDECENCY WITH A CHILD. (A) A person commits and offense if, with a child younger than 17 years and not the person's spouse..."

Legislators of the past essentially gave people like the FLDS leaders a qualifying clause for their abuse of children, and this law has never been changed.This is typical of many southern states.

This is exactly the intent and deception in this issue.  They purposely have squeezed under the law to purpetrate their sexual abuse of these children.  They are outright sexual pedophiles!  What I will never understand is why it was necessary to remove these children and disrupt their lives with their moms when the right thing to do was to go into the compound and remove the handful of MEN who are committing these crimes instead!   Certainly they have enough evidence from some of the victims that they could arrest them on suspicion of child molestation.    What sense does it make to remove 400 children and cause such a mess when they could remove the men who are guilty!  It's like saying that if a group of men commit a crime in a state that you remove the residents of that state instead of the criminals!  Yes, you are right, it is what the law allows but, it was written to pertain to one individual not an entire community and to be used deceptively to coverup the crime of these perverts!  Makes me Sick!!

April 23, 2008, 9:06 am CDT

No!

Quote From: anamarylira

My heart goes out for these 400 children from the poligamist camp. these children are being brain washed by their own  mothers, and they are being forced to marry probably their own relatives. in their eyes this is normal but we all know that is sexual and mental abuse. how can it be normal to marry your own cousin and to have to marry a man twise your age at 14 years old. I hope these children never go back to that compund and grow up to live a normal life and specialy to marry in love and with some one they know is special in their hearts and love. God bless these children

Let the kids and their moms go back to the compound and get rid of the perverted MEN!  They live a very simple and productive life there causing no problems to anyone.  It's the leaders who are preaching morality and living immoral behind closed doors!  These men are purposely  manipulating the laws of the state that permits sex between "married" couples of "any age" so they can continue their life as perverts and get away with it.  They are a disgusting example of human beings that not even can be compared to animals who don't indulge in such practices with their own offspring.  Arrest these pigs and get "them" out of the compound not the children and women!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last