Message Boards

Topic : 04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Number of Replies: 450
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:23:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues to examine the controversial Eldorado, Texas raid where 416 children were removed from an extreme religious sect known as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Hear from Eldorado Mayor John Nikolauk, who has presided over the town for 20 years. What are his greatest fears now? Then, Dr. Phil sits down with Franklin and Deloy, two members of the Lost Boys -- young men who leave the polygamous community when they reach the age of puberty. Franklin and Deloy say they had no education past the sixth grade and need help dealing with repressed emotions, especially in the wake of the Eldorado raid. How can they move on with their lives? And, the fate of the 416 children removed from the compound now rests in the hands of lawmakers. Dr. Phil speaks with Gib Walton, President of the Texas state bar and Harper Estes, President Elect of the Texas State Bar to discuss the outcome of the hearings and to sort out custody issues. Plus, find out what you can do to help these children ripped from the only lifestyle they have ever known. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 23, 2008, 9:27 am CDT

So Right!

Quote From: cyncritter

I find it difficult to believe that a state wherein the already CPS governed children, many of whom are still awaiting good foster care, and those whose foster care parents leave a lot to be desired, can even begin to take on a case of this magnitude. What's going to happen if these children are NOT permitted to return to their mothers in this unlawful existence... and many are placed in foster homes wherein they are sexually abused and mistreated by the families CPS has picked? What THEN??! Two wrong hardly make a right...

So why not tell the mothers IF they want their children back, they have to live with a selected family?
This is my feeling exactly!  These kids should NOT be placed in foster care.  Yes, many in foster care are abused and mistreated.  If necessary, they and their mothers should be placed in appropriate housing where they can be together at least until they can figure out this mess and bring charges against those disgusting men in the compound.  Why not go in and arrest them on charges of child molestation?  They have plenty of witnesses.  Why should hundreds of kids and moms be forced to live outside the compound when a handful of men can be removed!  This is a decision I will NEVER understand! 

April 23, 2008, 9:37 am CDT

Wanting to Help, Can't Seem to get Contacts!

Hello,

My heart breaks for the children and the mothers of this horrific compound. Especially for the innocent children. I am desparetly trying to get in touch with the show, in order for me/my church who is willing to help out with either volunteering or fostering these children. These ppl are so badly in need of psychological help that it is just so frustrating to know this goes on in our Country! Thank you all for reading. And may God Bless and keep these ppl safe!

Deborah

mrsmeiners

April 23, 2008, 9:45 am CDT

04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Quote From: kennyllc

Y'all need to pursue this sect's abuse on charges of polygamy because Texas see's no fault in a man having sex with their MARRIED 16 year old wife, nor a 14 year old, nor 12,nor,10, nor 8 year old, for that matter. The law reads:

"21.11. INDECENCY WITH A CHILD. (A) A person commits and offense if, with a child younger than 17 years and not the person's spouse..."

Legislators of the past essentially gave people like the FLDS leaders a qualifying clause for their abuse of children, and this law has never been changed.This is typical of many southern states.

I love your icon, is that a pig or a english bull baby?

April 23, 2008, 10:05 am CDT

Quote From: venusair

You are wrong. The fundamentalist group is NOT  a part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints. (also known as Mormons). This group was excommunicated many years ago when they refused to stop practicing polygamy. They formed a group of their own as did some others who refused to obey the laws of the land. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints believes in obeying the laws of the land and when polygamy was practiced by them it was NOT against the law. When the US made a law against it polygamy ended in the church.

There never was a practice of old men abusing young women and incest such as what goes on in this group. I find their actions sick and perverted. If you knew your history so well you would also know that many of these men married women who had been left widowed by mobs trying to run them off and killed their husbands. These women had on one to take care of them and for lots of them that was as far as it went. Again I repeat no polygamy has been practiced since the  US made it against the law. It is misleading to call them a branch, sect, or part of the Mormon religion.

Fundamentalist Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints was legally est. in 1991, so by law they are Mormons.

and as for the no polygamy was practiced after the US made it aganist the law, 1862 was the first federal law passed  outlawing polygamy, and according to the records LDS was still practicing polygamy way past that date!!!

their are Mormons out there that still practice polygamy that do not belong to Flds or any compound.

April 23, 2008, 10:09 am CDT

The true mormon perspective

I would like to address the flds debacle from a member of the real lds perspective.  We are appalled by the flds polygamy scandal.  In our church God's plan is filled with knowledge, agency, choice,  all glory to God.  According to our belief Satan's plan is without knowledge, no choice, Satan would have people forced to choose the right.  Satan gets all the glory.  And the people have no free agency.   The FLDS is the complete antithesis to God's plan.  It is Satan's plan.   It is as far from God's plan as possibly could be.  It is a cult.      Also,  The real Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints (of which I am a faithful member) states Polygamy is an abomination before God.  The Book of MOrmon, which predates the practice of polygamy by the main church,  condemns the practice   (search lds.org  scriptures jacob 2: 21-35) .  Those of us in the real true lds church are not waiting for the day when polygamy is reinstated.   polygamy is not a pre requisite to going to heaven.   It is evil.  It draws men away from  the true principles of compassion, charity, and real love.   It was never a wholesome practice.  I believe it was taken from the real church over a 100 years ago because it was evil.  Please do not believe that the real LDS church condones in anyway this terrible practice.   

April 23, 2008, 10:14 am CDT

Quote From: getrealtime

Mormon Religion is very new compared to others religions, a 100 + years is not so long ago.

if they practice from the Book of Mormon they are Mormon,Just because one part of the branch is embarrassed by the other, doesn't give you right to to take their religion away. They could say the same to you, that the LDS does not practice the Mormon religion to the Principle the primary teaching of it Prophet J. Smith.                                     just a little devils advocate for ya.

The Doc called it, like it is, They are a fundamentalist Mormon Church. remember according to your founder J. Smith and why your religion was started, was that all other religions where wrong, so they can't go to another religion, the Book of mormon is the only religion.

Once again, words have meanings...the word "Mormon" in generally known to describe LDS people, NOT FLDS people.

These two groups are not the same at all, they live completely different lifestyles and have completely different modes of worship.  LDS people are not hidden away, they do not dress like pioneers, they do not marry at 13, they do not kick out young boys, they do not have multiple wives.

This makes as much sense as calling Lutherans, Baptists...

April 23, 2008, 10:33 am CDT

Quote From: PennyLane78

Once again, words have meanings...the word "Mormon" in generally known to describe LDS people, NOT FLDS people.

These two groups are not the same at all, they live completely different lifestyles and have completely different modes of worship.  LDS people are not hidden away, they do not dress like pioneers, they do not marry at 13, they do not kick out young boys, they do not have multiple wives.

This makes as much sense as calling Lutherans, Baptists...
Lutherans, and Baptist, we are the same, we get are info, from the same Bible, and we are called Christians, two different names but one book.

April 23, 2008, 10:34 am CDT

custom, culture and tradition

Did I hear some of those interviewed say they are 6th generation raised in polygamy?  In South Dakota where I live we are barely 4th and 5th generation settlers/homesteaders. There is a compound such as Eldorado's not far from where I live. The lost boys' stories are a familiar description of behavior that takes place currently in South Dakota as a rural state, never mind contained to a compound.

Young men I know tell me about sect. members trolling bars for young men who will have sex with young women. They are taken to places where the girl is covered and the sperm donor is allowed to have his way. It sounded way to far fetched but I am beginning to wonder.

The culture of treating a girl like a fragile angel who gets permissive treatment while the boys are seen as competition to older males is customary in the mid west rural region as well. When girls take the wife and mother role she is not to deviate and is considered commodity rather then individual.

People in the cities dismiss we rural Americans as ignorants but then all of the sudden wake up when these familiar behavior patterns are setting policy in the white house or state houses as well as court rooms. Stop consuming America and start noticing your roots. History is still happening.

April 23, 2008, 10:59 am CDT

Oink.

Quote From: getrealtime

I love your icon, is that a pig or a english bull baby?
No, it's a wolf lead-frogging a sheep.

April 23, 2008, 11:13 am CDT

How About a National Law

There needs to be a national law against marrying and having sex with a child under 18 that supercedes all state laws and exemptions.

These antiquated state laws on decency are excuses for abusers such as the FLDS to take over a community and rape children legally.

With CPS and state police having the only jurisdiction, there is the very real possiblilty of an insurrection by such people, and state militias are a no-no since the civil war.  So what could be done?

As it is, there would be a lot of red-tape involved in forming a state and national effort to quell an insurrection.

That being said, the real interest in this should be that:

A national law under it's own jurisdiction would give the abused a fighting chance by commuting children out of state into the hands of other caring couples, while allowing an interstate lawsuit to be filed against abusers in the various federal courts THAT ARE MORE CONVENIENT TO THE OUT-OF-STATE CUSTODIAN.

Otherwise, caretakers from out of state are dissuaded from helping due to the terrible inconvenience of doing so.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last