Message Boards

Topic : 04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Number of Replies: 450
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:23:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues to examine the controversial Eldorado, Texas raid where 416 children were removed from an extreme religious sect known as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Hear from Eldorado Mayor John Nikolauk, who has presided over the town for 20 years. What are his greatest fears now? Then, Dr. Phil sits down with Franklin and Deloy, two members of the Lost Boys -- young men who leave the polygamous community when they reach the age of puberty. Franklin and Deloy say they had no education past the sixth grade and need help dealing with repressed emotions, especially in the wake of the Eldorado raid. How can they move on with their lives? And, the fate of the 416 children removed from the compound now rests in the hands of lawmakers. Dr. Phil speaks with Gib Walton, President of the Texas state bar and Harper Estes, President Elect of the Texas State Bar to discuss the outcome of the hearings and to sort out custody issues. Plus, find out what you can do to help these children ripped from the only lifestyle they have ever known. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 23, 2008, 11:35 am CDT

What a load of Bunk

Quote From: ammon7

I would like to address the flds debacle from a member of the real lds perspective.  We are appalled by the flds polygamy scandal.  In our church God's plan is filled with knowledge, agency, choice,  all glory to God.  According to our belief Satan's plan is without knowledge, no choice, Satan would have people forced to choose the right.  Satan gets all the glory.  And the people have no free agency.   The FLDS is the complete antithesis to God's plan.  It is Satan's plan.   It is as far from God's plan as possibly could be.  It is a cult.      Also,  The real Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints (of which I am a faithful member) states Polygamy is an abomination before God.  The Book of MOrmon, which predates the practice of polygamy by the main church,  condemns the practice   (search lds.org  scriptures jacob 2: 21-35) .  Those of us in the real true lds church are not waiting for the day when polygamy is reinstated.   polygamy is not a pre requisite to going to heaven.   It is evil.  It draws men away from  the true principles of compassion, charity, and real love.   It was never a wholesome practice.  I believe it was taken from the real church over a 100 years ago because it was evil.  Please do not believe that the real LDS church condones in anyway this terrible practice.   

If the FLDS is satans plan, then so is Joseph Smith's original view of polygamy:

The LDS church, via Joseph Smith instigated polygamy as "the most holy and important doctrine ever revealed to man on earth". This was in section 132 of the Doctrine and Covenants, a very important primary scriptural textbook in the Mormon church. Brigham Young, his successor, cheered over the polygamy that went on in Colorado Springs in his day, and stated that it would someday be the center of the LDS church.

"Polygamy is a divine institution. It has been handed down direct from God. The United States cannot abolish it. No nation on earth can prevent it, nor all the nations of the earth combined,...
I defy the United States; I will obey God."

- John Taylor(on January 4, 1880), President, Prophet, Seer, and Revelator, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Quoted in Under The Banner of HeavenOff-site Link John Krakauer, Doubleday (July 15, 2003)

The only reason why the LDS church discontiued polygamy is because the Fed's held their feet to the fire in 1856 under President James Buchanan.

"But even as the LDS leaders publicly claimed, in 1890, to have relinquished the practice, they quietly dispatched bands of Mormons to establish polygamous colonies in Mexico and Canada, and some of the highest-ranking LDS authorities secretly continued to take multiple wives and perform plural marriages well into the twentieth-century."

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/f/f39aa.html

The LDS church holds as much to blame for this as the FLDS does and if the truth be told they may have more to do with abusing state laws through loopholes and even funding this church than they are letting on.  Meanwhile, pundits seek to disavow their association with them, and apparently their own history.

April 23, 2008, 11:54 am CDT

04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Quote From: getrealtime

Mormon Religion is very new compared to others religions, a 100 + years is not so long ago.

if they practice from the Book of Mormon they are Mormon,Just because one part of the branch is embarrassed by the other, doesn't give you right to to take their religion away. They could say the same to you, that the LDS does not practice the Mormon religion to the Principle the primary teaching of it Prophet J. Smith.                                     just a little devils advocate for ya.

The Doc called it, like it is, They are a fundamentalist Mormon Church. remember according to your founder J. Smith and why your religion was started, was that all other religions where wrong, so they can't go to another religion, the Book of mormon is the only religion.

to be very clear these individuals are not mormons. the fact that they call themselves mormons does not make it so.  what is so frustrating is that everything that they believe and practice is contrary to the teachings of the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints of which i am a member.  the youth of the church are taught to seek an education, husbands are commanded to treat their wives with the utmost respect, to be faithful, loving, and responsible. women are equal partners in marriage and both parents are to nurture and love their children.  in fact it is taught that anyone who offends or harms in any way, a child, will suffer dire concequences.  i feel that more should be said to distinguish the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints from this sect.  it makes me sad that true mormonism is lumped together with people who are practicing the exact opposite of what our church teaches and practices.  we believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the adomonition of Paul- we believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. if there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things. ( 13th article of faith)

April 23, 2008, 11:58 am CDT

04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Quote From: getrealtime

Lutherans, and Baptist, we are the same, we get are info, from the same Bible, and we are called Christians, two different names but one book.
Oh ok, well Jews use part of the Bible....so...Jews are Lutherans.

Got it.

Thanks for the help.

/sarcasm

Seriously...Lutherans and Baptists are both Christians yes, both use the Bible yes, but they aren't the same religion. If a Baptist came up to you and said "I am a Baptist" and you said in return, "Oh, so you are a Lutheran." They would correct you because you would be using WORDS WRONG.

Come on now...seriously...

April 23, 2008, 12:29 pm CDT

Were Joseph Smith & Brigham Young Prophets of God ?

Quote From: rshannon408

to be very clear these individuals are not mormons. the fact that they call themselves mormons does not make it so.  what is so frustrating is that everything that they believe and practice is contrary to the teachings of the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints of which i am a member.  the youth of the church are taught to seek an education, husbands are commanded to treat their wives with the utmost respect, to be faithful, loving, and responsible. women are equal partners in marriage and both parents are to nurture and love their children.  in fact it is taught that anyone who offends or harms in any way, a child, will suffer dire concequences.  i feel that more should be said to distinguish the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints from this sect.  it makes me sad that true mormonism is lumped together with people who are practicing the exact opposite of what our church teaches and practices.  we believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the adomonition of Paul- we believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. if there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things. ( 13th article of faith)

Your reply sounds well and good, and if this is true of the Mormon's and the doctrines that you are aware of then why haven't they also disavowed themselves from Joseph Smith's writings altogether and the historically evil polygamy of Brigham Young?

Why haven't they rejected the Book of Mormon, and Joseph's other writings in favor of the bible alone, while also changing their name to distinguish themselves from the evils of these former polygamists?

April 23, 2008, 12:43 pm CDT

Why?

What I want to know is why the LDS of today aren't stepping in and taking in these kids? This is one of the biggest churches in the country, surely they can place these children.......LDS/FLDS same difference. They both have the ORIGINAL teachings of Joseph Smith listed as priority. It's time for the LDS to step up and practice what they preach. Actions speak louder than words... how about a little charity for thesepoor kids?

April 23, 2008, 12:45 pm CDT

Family want to help

When my family all want to help the children. I don't live in TX but my heart cry for them. My daughter and son is willing to give up thier own room for them. They  want to send them their love and I myselfhave a room for as many children that you can send me. As for that man that brain washed them I hope god will take care of him. I know the good lord is a kind and caring person but her will not allow anyone hurt a child or anyone. I feel sorry for the lost boys I hope they find their way in they world and not get lost in it cause it is a great world to be in. My family is asking if we can help the children of the compound.  

April 23, 2008, 12:50 pm CDT

Family want to help

When my family all want to help the children. I don't live in TX but my heart cry for them. My daughter and son is willing to give up thier own room for them. They  want to send them their love and I myselfhave a room for as many children that you can send me. As for that man that brain washed them I hope god will take care of him. I know the good lord is a kind and caring person but her will not allow anyone hurt a child or anyone. I feel sorry for the lost boys I hope they find their way in they world and not get lost in it cause it is a great world to be in. My family is asking if we can help the children of the compound.  

April 23, 2008, 12:54 pm CDT

Because he is as slick as Bill Clinton

Quote From: dacyn2

This is my feeling exactly!  These kids should NOT be placed in foster care.  Yes, many in foster care are abused and mistreated.  If necessary, they and their mothers should be placed in appropriate housing where they can be together at least until they can figure out this mess and bring charges against those disgusting men in the compound.  Why not go in and arrest them on charges of child molestation?  They have plenty of witnesses.  Why should hundreds of kids and moms be forced to live outside the compound when a handful of men can be removed!  This is a decision I will NEVER understand! 

None of these parents have birth certificates.  The children need a DNA analysis so that paternity can be established.  These men will deny having more than one (legal) wife.  Technically, that is true.  The test will verify whose child is whose. 

If the children were not removed into CPS custody, the mothers are free to move right back in with the abusers.  These mothers think they have done the right thing, both here on Earth and for the Hereafter.   

April 23, 2008, 12:56 pm CDT

ITA....

Quote From: PennyLane78

Once again, words have meanings...the word "Mormon" in generally known to describe LDS people, NOT FLDS people.

These two groups are not the same at all, they live completely different lifestyles and have completely different modes of worship.  LDS people are not hidden away, they do not dress like pioneers, they do not marry at 13, they do not kick out young boys, they do not have multiple wives.

This makes as much sense as calling Lutherans, Baptists...

Reading the Bible doesn't make you a Christian anymore than reading Grey's Anatomy makes you a doctor, it's what you understand, believe, and what you center your beliefs around.  The FLDS centers around Warren Jeffs and his commands and the LDS centers around Jesus and His commands.  You might as well lump both of these groups along with the Baptists and the Lutherans, cause we're just ALL the same anyway...LOL! 

You can't lump all Baptist together either, for that matter, there are Southern Baptists, Free Will Baptists, Primitive Baptists, etc.  They're not all the same. 

April 23, 2008, 12:57 pm CDT

Show me the money

The news programs and several talk shows have been covering this story.  No one talks about how this cult pays for multi million dollar homes and the huge temple and support for all the children and wives.  I know it's not just from donations.  Are our tax dollars supporting this cult through welfare and food stamps.  If my taxes are paying for this cult to the tune of millions and millions of dollars - were do I go to sign up to start my own government funded religion?

D A Johnson

MD

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last