Message Boards

Topic : 07/01 A Secret Inside: Extreme Hoarding

Number of Replies: 343
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 02:58:59 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/28/08) Imagine being forced to dwell in a space that is so cluttered with junk, food and trash, you can barely walk. Nancy and her boyfriend, Bob, live this nightmare every day. In their two homes, flies and plastic containers fill the kitchen, moldy food is stuffed in four refrigerators, and boxes and plastic bags litter the house. The two youngest children sleep on the same couch in the living room, because one's bedroom is cluttered, and the other child doesn't even have a bedroom! Nancy, a former nurse, admits to being an extreme hoarder, but how did she and Bob, a former corporate attorney, allow their lives to degenerate to this chaotic clutter? Their home is trashed, and they're in debt $100,000. Could other issues be contributing to the chaos in the house as well? Hear from the three children, 16, 11 and 9, who are trapped in this mess. Are Nancy and Bob finally ready to rescue their family from the rubble before the kids' lives are ruined forever? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 27, 2008, 9:41 am CDT

Extreme Hoarding

I really don't understand what it is that causes this Hoarding problem. A couple times a year I like to get rid of old stuff. I think Dr. Phil can do this woman/family a big favor. Pull up a trash truck with 10 or 20 volunteers to help clean that house out.

April 27, 2008, 10:23 am CDT

Hoarding

I know someone in my condo building who is a pack rat. He can't even stay in his own place because it is a sea of papers. He also has two cars filled with the same.

He picks out of garbage cans, and even though he lives in a good condo, he lives like he is homeless. It's disgusting. He has some certifiable problems.

To think my parents hired this guy to tutor my sister on her academics!

April 27, 2008, 7:46 pm CDT

Cleaning out the neighbor's house?

Quote From: ohmygosh1

I can't believe how many people have jumped into a "crucify the neighbors" type attitude. There is some kind of underlying problem that would cause this behavior. Yes, they do need help. Help with whatever emotional problems that lead to this behavior. Yes, this is a disgusting situation, but before you cast the first stone, think about what may be happening inside their lives, then concentrate on cleaning the house and finding help for them.
 Are you saying that we should not judge them, but just clean out their house for them?  I don't think that's the answer. 

What kind of help should we get them?  They don't want help, they don't want their house or yard cleaned out.  They don't want counseling either because they don't want to change.  They don't want to give up their buying, collecting, their 'treasures'. 

How do we force people to get help who don't want help?  How do we protect the neighbors houses if the hoarder's house catches fire?  How do we protect the hoarder's trashed house and yard from ruining the property values of everyone else around them?  Yes, they need help, but they don't want help.  They don't want the problem solved.  Is that fair to everyone who has to live around them?  Is it fair to their adult children, who worry about their safety and health?  Is it fair to the animals they keep inside?  Is their desire to hoard more important than the neighbors need to live without fear of a fire beginning in hoarder's house and spreading to their home?  Is it fair that a hoarder's house and yard can lower property values, and prevent house sales, on their street? 

People have every right to be as crazy as they want to be and to refuse to accept counseling, UNTIL they infringe on MY rights to live in safety and to sell my house.  Their right to be crazy is not more important than their children's rights to safe, or the rights of my family to be safe.  Their right to be crazy cannot be allowed to effect others.

April 27, 2008, 7:48 pm CDT

04/28 A Secret Inside: Extreme Hoarding

Quote From: BrianX29

I really don't understand what it is that causes this Hoarding problem. A couple times a year I like to get rid of old stuff. I think Dr. Phil can do this woman/family a big favor. Pull up a trash truck with 10 or 20 volunteers to help clean that house out.
 Unfortunately, that is a very short term solution.  Within a few months, the hoard will have returned.  Unless the hoarder agrees to therapy, the underlying problem won't go away. 

April 27, 2008, 7:49 pm CDT

Quote From: msbrill2

I know someone in my condo building who is a pack rat. He can't even stay in his own place because it is a sea of papers. He also has two cars filled with the same.

He picks out of garbage cans, and even though he lives in a good condo, he lives like he is homeless. It's disgusting. He has some certifiable problems.

To think my parents hired this guy to tutor my sister on her academics!
 Being a hoarder has nothing to do with being good at academics.  From what I have read, most hoarders have well above average intelligence.  So your parents may have hired an excellent tutor who was also a hoarder. 

April 27, 2008, 7:56 pm CDT

Quote From: derevna33

The first year it was a county service.  Now, she gets a bill.  She refused to pay it, so the city turned off her water.   She changed her mind and pays the bill. 

Do you remember Jeff Foxworthy's joke "You might be a Redneck if . . .?"  Well, the first year  the fire department cleaned up her yard, they found a whole pickup that she had reported stolen.  No, I am not kidding.  It was that bad!  She was surprised to finally find that pickup. 

In our county, you can keep one car without tags on your property.  That pickup is now underneath a tree on the front yard.  The car actually runs.  It is a neighborhood giggle.  It got so loaded with trash that she couldn't get in and drive anymore.  So, she gathered up bags of garbage from the inside.  I don't mean one or two, I mean bags and bags

The odd thing was, she wouldn't put it on the curb for the garbage men to pick up.  No, she put the bags on the driveway with her other junk. 

Sheeze.  My hoarder neighbor does the same thing.  Her driveway is filled with trashcans that she uses to pack her 'treasures' in.  No trashcan is ever take to the curb for trash pickup.   Thank Goodness our town has some rules and she can't keep dead cars on her lawn.  County Code doesn't allow more than 100 sq feet of junk on the lawn or driveway. 

Hoarders don't seem to EVER throw away anything.  Trash collectors never have to stop at their house! 

My hoarder neighbor has now totally packed the inside of her car, and the trunk, except for a small space for her to squeeze in to drive the car.  The trunk has too much junk in it to shut the lid, so she has ropes over all the junk in the trunk.  She's a modern day Ma Joad. 

April 28, 2008, 2:49 am CDT

I can't believe how many people have jumped into a "crucify the neighbors" type attitude. There is some kind of underlying problem that would cause this behavior. Yes, they do need help. Help with whatever emotional problems that lead to this behavior. Yes, this is a disgusting situation, but before you cast the first stone, think about what may be happening inside their lives, then concentrate on cleaning the house and finding help for them.
Unless the hoarder lives in an isolated remote rural area, they are going to have an adverse affect on the neighbors around them. And if they have children at home or pets in the house, that makes it even worse. And unless they ask for help it is going to be hard to help them. If they are disabled or elderly, perhaps Social Services could be called and go in and determine that they are a danger to themselves and unable to speak for themselves or take proper care of themselves and ultimately be removed from thier home. Otherwise, what can anyone do to help them if they don't want help?

April 28, 2008, 5:34 am CDT

extreme hording?, this show wont air for another 2hrs whear i live, what you are calling hording my parents called living in trash, and i cant imagine some one living in a land fill, are these people so damn lazy they would rather kick the trash out of there way instead of placing it out by the curb for the trash collecting trucks to pick up? how in the hell can a mother raise her children in such clutter? do they not know what they invite into there houses living like this?damn they better hope a spark never gets set off any where near thear house, the fire fighters wont stand a chance in hell of putting the flames out, hording my ass these people are lazy as hell and just to damn sorry to get off there asses and clean the filth up, being lazy is no sickness!!!! and any woman letting that much trash build up in a home for children to live in and have to crawl through needs her ass whipped with a cat-of-9tails. i don't give a damn who it is!!!!trash is trash. and these are just my pre-show thoughts,i am very sure i will have plenty to add after watching Dr Phil try to figure out why they are living like this!!! doc its too damn easy for some one to just sit on there ass being lazy living in trash and laying claim to having a hording problem, if the pictures from the show clip is any thing like what we are going to see, man don't make your staff go in that home, hell man they could get snake bitten of worse !!! they could get a staff infection-rabies from rats living in the trash ,  you know rats do live in such filth. i would advise you to enter that house with a damn bull-dozer, only after a wrecking ball has been dribbled through it,   I CANT BELIEVE PEOPLE REALLY LIVE LIKE THIS, ARE THESE PEOPLE WHAT MY MOTHERS GENERATION REFEREED TO AS WHITE TRASH!!! IF SO NOW I KNOW WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT, DAMN GET THOSE KIDS OUT!!!THAT IS A DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENT

April 28, 2008, 5:49 am CDT

YEAH THEARS A UNDERLYING PROBLEM ALRIGHT its laying all over the damn house!!!  both her and her husband need to get off thear sorry asses and clean up, and not wait for dr phil to send a cleaning crew in to do it while they sit on thear asses and watch!!!!! its plain to see they DONT GIVE A DAMN WHAT THE CHILDREN CRAWL AROUND THROUGH OR PICK UP AND PUT IN THEAR MOUTH.

April 28, 2008, 6:25 am CDT

Quote From: suebonnetsue

Sheeze.  My hoarder neighbor does the same thing.  Her driveway is filled with trashcans that she uses to pack her 'treasures' in.  No trashcan is ever take to the curb for trash pickup.   Thank Goodness our town has some rules and she can't keep dead cars on her lawn.  County Code doesn't allow more than 100 sq feet of junk on the lawn or driveway. 

Hoarders don't seem to EVER throw away anything.  Trash collectors never have to stop at their house! 

My hoarder neighbor has now totally packed the inside of her car, and the trunk, except for a small space for her to squeeze in to drive the car.  The trunk has too much junk in it to shut the lid, so she has ropes over all the junk in the trunk.  She's a modern day Ma Joad. 

My neighbor looks a bit like Ma Joad.  (The Grapes of Wrath) I don't think that is who you meant.  What was the name of the family on the radio program that "have to clean out that closet, someday?"

The county has a Johnny Horizon Day.  It is a time when we are allowed using the dump for free, and a group of volunteers borrow the city equipment.  I had cleaned out our basement.  My parents hate parting with things.  I set all their "treasures" out on the curb for the volunteers.   The volunteers came by in the afternoon, and  I went outside and helped them load up my stuff.

The hoarder lives across the street.  The volunteers rightly thought that the big pile of stuff on the driveway was for them to pick up.  They worked for about 20 minutes.  Then, the hoarder came outside, demanding they take all the stuff they had loaded into the truck and put it right back on her driveway.   

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last