Message Boards

Topic : 07/01 A Secret Inside: Extreme Hoarding

Number of Replies: 343
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 02:58:59 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/28/08) Imagine being forced to dwell in a space that is so cluttered with junk, food and trash, you can barely walk. Nancy and her boyfriend, Bob, live this nightmare every day. In their two homes, flies and plastic containers fill the kitchen, moldy food is stuffed in four refrigerators, and boxes and plastic bags litter the house. The two youngest children sleep on the same couch in the living room, because one's bedroom is cluttered, and the other child doesn't even have a bedroom! Nancy, a former nurse, admits to being an extreme hoarder, but how did she and Bob, a former corporate attorney, allow their lives to degenerate to this chaotic clutter? Their home is trashed, and they're in debt $100,000. Could other issues be contributing to the chaos in the house as well? Hear from the three children, 16, 11 and 9, who are trapped in this mess. Are Nancy and Bob finally ready to rescue their family from the rubble before the kids' lives are ruined forever? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 28, 2008, 9:35 am CDT

Maybe...

Quote From: afraid

maybe the children will hate clutter and filth after having to live in it with there mother for so many years, i bet they will keep a house clean enough to perform open heart sergury on the kitchen table if they had to.
Or maybe they will grow up paranoid of opening the door as a throwback to living in a mess.  Maybe they will grow up to be hoarders themselves.  Bottom line the odds are against children who have lived like this.   My heart goes out to them. 

April 28, 2008, 9:40 am CDT

Here is the big question to hoarders

You are a hoarder.  You know it and you consciously hide the fact by keeping people, acquaintences, police, repairmen, etc from inside your house.   You know it is wrong and you know it is detrimental to your children.  However, when threatened by any authority, you can be motivated to clean up.

Is it a sickness or is it a conscious choice to place blame on everyone else and turn yourself into a victim?  If you can clean up under threat of consequences, why can't you clean up for the sake of your children?

April 28, 2008, 10:26 am CDT

04/28 A Secret Inside: Extreme Hoarding

Quote From: grandadjay

Or maybe they will grow up paranoid of opening the door as a throwback to living in a mess.  Maybe they will grow up to be hoarders themselves.  Bottom line the odds are against children who have lived like this.   My heart goes out to them. 
i think the children will be just fine, from what i saw they were glad to get some one to help them have a clean invorment to live in.as for the odds being against the children welllllll dr phil will give them the edge they need in sure.

April 28, 2008, 10:28 am CDT

Quote From: marylovesgreg

Hi

I wonder how do people just let things get that far out of control. That has to be so hard on the kids and family members. Why hasnt anybody helped this couple before now. How did they keep this from friends. Those kids have to be so embarrassed by there parents. I am a person who has a hard time leaving a few dishes to spend quality time with my family, it drives me crazy. Im a fanatic when it comes to dishes and keeping my house clean for my family it drives my family nuts because Im that way. Well I hope they can get help and over come this.                                        Mary From Wisconsin

i honestly think self pity - drugs - and alcohol have allot to do with it

April 28, 2008, 10:31 am CDT

Clean House

On TLC there is a show called "Clean House."  Ms. Niecy Nash cleans out the clutter, has a yard sale and takes the proceeds and redecorates the home (well, the crew does).  Ms. Nash matches the proceeds with $1,000. 

I also think Freecycle or Craigs List, would be a great place to list things we don't need. 

I can't imagine having so much clutter that its difficult to move around, let alone the smell of old food, dirty clothes and dusty furniture.  If money is an issue, why not the Dollar store to get cleaning supplies. 

LOL Dr. Phil maybe hoarders are waiting for Antique Roadshow to see if their trash is a treasure.

Pearl 

April 28, 2008, 10:33 am CDT

Dr Phil i got to ask you this--- are you in any way associated with the blue man group? they also do what they can to improve the environment they are current working to try to force the government to do something to stop global warming and guess what they only shop at lowes to, becouse the sighn on the building is blue,lol check these guys out at stopglobalwarming.org , you will see why i ask you this question.

April 28, 2008, 12:15 pm CDT

Hoording or just dirty

How do you tell if it’s hording or just plain lazy disgusting?  I grew up in a filthy house. I remember cleaning the cat poo out from under my bed, I filled one of those black trash bags up half way. I never saw the floor in my room, my mom would stick me in there to clean it but I had no idea how, the rest of the house looked the same way. The whole house was basically a path, you could never get near the walls because there was too much stuff, but it seemed like it was just because they were too lazy to throw it away, my mom however does say often it’s because we still use it, even though the last time I saw the vacuum cleaner it had cob webs on it and was broken. They had not had a working vacuum cleaner in a few years. I had to go with her to get a new one.  They have this really nice, but really old and never used meat slicer that has been sitting in a cupboard with all the other forgotten household items that they won’t throw away because it was nice at one point. They could never use it, there is no counter space and no room to put a large deli cut meat in the fridge, everything is rotten.  The slicer itself is covered in this sticky goo, consisting of dust, dirt, and moisture from years of humidity and grease.

Anyway I grew up that way, and well you just learn to tune it out. You get used to putting paper towel on the counter over the grime so your food doesn’t get dirty, your socks are never clean no matter how much bleach you use and it isn’t uncommon to share your bed with the clean clothes because there is no other place to put them. It becomes normal, but after I moved away and came back, I was somehow hoping it would be better, and when I saw it I just started crying. My parents think I am selfish because I refuse to accept that the way the house is, is really just okay.

April 28, 2008, 12:45 pm CDT

What about the kids!?

Quote From: afraid

i honestly think self pity - drugs - and alcohol have allot to do with it
In all of this, the mother is only thinking of herself - it's all about her, and what she feels and what people think of her. I hope Dr. Phil has a better place for the kids than this nightmare.

April 28, 2008, 12:52 pm CDT

why are the kids still living there?

if the police have been to their house 30 times have they not seen enough to warrant a call to CPS? I know the mom and dad have a problem but they are subjecting their children to unsanitary and unsafe living conditions!

April 28, 2008, 12:52 pm CDT

What? Are you kidding

I just watched this show. Are you kidding? HELP THOSE KIDS --HELP THOSE KIDS-- HELP THOSE KIDS-- YEH, WE KNOW MOM IS SICK BUT  FOR GODS SAKE HELP THOSE KIDS NOW.  OH THOSE POOR KIDS.  DO SOMETHING NOW DR PHIL !!!!!!!!!!!! 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last