Message Boards

Topic : 07/18 The Cougar Craze

Number of Replies: 584
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 03:06:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date 05/02/08) Demi Moore did it. So did Madonna and Halle Berry. This trend of older women dating younger men is called the Cougar Craze, and it’s sweeping the country. Recently, at a New York speed-dating event, Sugar Mamas and Boy Toys, good-looking 35-year-old men wooed women over 35 who made at least $500,000 a year. Jeremy organized the event and says he was just answering a demand from affluent ladies. Was he sincere in his matchmaking or just out to make a buck? Dr. Phil talks to two women who participated in the event -- Gail, 44, and Nancy, 50. Their experiences might surprise you. Then, 51-year-old Kat says she’s no cougar; she just likes to date younger guys because men her age are set in their ways. She says her 23-year-old ex-boyfriend, Ryon, was loving, passionate and had a much higher libido than older men. Her friend, Nancy, says Kat has a great head for business, but a bad one when it comes to the opposite sex. She says young men just see dollar signs when they see Kat. Is Kat dating down, or should Nancy just butt out? And, Bobbi had an 11-year relationship with a man who was 17 years her junior, but she says once she turned 50, he saw her as too old. She wants to be in a relationship again, but not with an older man. Her son, Nathan, says someone still wet behind the ears can’t appreciate all Bobbi has to offer. Does Nathan have the right to put his foot down with his mother? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 27, 2008, 4:46 pm CDT

younger guys..!

Quote From: princessgina

What if a woman married a guy 9 years younger then her but he was also only 12 years older then her oldest child?
I disagree....my husband is 12 years younger than me and he is 8 years older than my daughter. My daughter just turned 23 and we both have known him for many years. My daughter is so happy that we finely got together and married. So i say each to their own. Just love and be loved. Make every day special with your family!

April 27, 2008, 4:48 pm CDT

Happier than ever..!!

Quote From: lisag42129

I am a almost 43 year-old woman who is very happily engaged to a 24 year-old man. And I agree with the reply that says maturity matters. My fiance is more mature than the last three boyfriends I had put together. We have never fought maybe a few disagreements,but nothing  crazy like I have been apart of in the past. We have been together for two years and hope it last forever. I do have children that are close to his age but they get along great. My children are glad I finally found someone to be here for me and not just use me.
I agree with you. Just be happy with your children and your mate. Good for you!

April 27, 2008, 6:17 pm CDT

05/02 The Cougar Craze

Quote From: princessgina

What if a woman married a guy 9 years younger then her but he was also only 12 years older then her oldest child?
I would say, long as they are both legal adults, so what.

April 27, 2008, 6:19 pm CDT

Happy

Quote From: snookums

I am 54 years old and 20 years ago I met a man 12 years my junior and we have a 16 year old son. Then it was called, what a lucky guy he was to find someone like me.  15 years ago I met a different man who was 14 years my junior, and we have a 13 year old son.  In both cases, I was the one who left them.  I then met a man 7 months older than myself, and my life turned into a living hell. He is a 24/7 abusive drunk. Not only to me but to my 16 year old son as well. We are no longer together, after 8 1/2 years, but life with a younger man was much more pleasant, fun and stimulating. There was no abuse or the hassles of an older man with health problems. When asked how could I be with a man so much younger than myself?  My response was, when you go to the pound to adopt a dog, do you get an older dog with bad habits already formed, or do you get a puppy you can train the way you want it?  GO FOR THE PUPPY!!!!!

I have been married 6 and1/2 years to my husband .We met at our job and have been in love ever since.  I am 16 years his junior.I see no problem with the other way around as long as the men are of age.

April 27, 2008, 8:14 pm CDT

Cougars

Yeah, I didn't think it was much of an issue either until my 18 year old son (a junior in high school) was dating a woman that was 34 years old and had a son that was 16.  THEN, it suddenly became an issue.  Did I mention that she was also married?  Since he was 18, I gave him the choice dump her or tell her husband to move over because he was coming to their house.  If you are the older woman dating the younger man, stop for a second and ask yourself how you would feel if your son was dating a much older woman (did I also mention that she was only 9 years younger than ME?) That kind of made my stomach feel VERY odd... wouldn't it yours?

April 27, 2008, 8:38 pm CDT

The Cougar Craze

I think the name "Cougar Craze" is a terrible name to give to these relationships.  Sometimes the so called "Cougar Craze" can bring about  good results.  I met my husband who was 30 years old at the time, and I was 49.  When he asked me to marry him, I was very hesitant at first because of the difference in age, but he convinced me that age was only a number. 

On Monday, April 28, 2008, we will celebrate our 29th Wedding Anniversary.  

I have had 29 wonderful years with my husband, so ladies, if you meet a man younger than you who is mature, stable and knows exactly what he wants and wishes to marry you, do not hesitate.   

April 27, 2008, 9:13 pm CDT

Love is love

It's as simple as that. Love is rare and not always easy to find. Two mature adults having mutual interests, values, and goals finding each other is a beautiful thing. Age and race, and even gender, should not be a barrier to happiness. 

April 27, 2008, 9:58 pm CDT

Merely a number

Age is merely a number as many other posters have said.  Many more factors are much more important in a relationship than age.  Why are people so shallow and have to base if a relationship is ok off age? Yes, men have dated younger women forever.  Once again a double standard in our society!  Personality, interests, chemistry, etc. should be looked at more than age.  If both parties are of adult age and it works for them than go for it!

April 28, 2008, 11:01 am CDT

Hmmm

Quote From: littlevamp

I disagree....my husband is 12 years younger than me and he is 8 years older than my daughter. My daughter just turned 23 and we both have known him for many years. My daughter is so happy that we finely got together and married. So i say each to their own. Just love and be loved. Make every day special with your family!
The reason I was asking this is because my mom had done this in her last marriage before she died. But the thing was this guy was manipulative and abusive to me and my brother from her second marriage. Then he got that way to his own kids. I was 9 almost 10 when she married this guy. He thought he was my father which i had to remind him he was just the guy married to my mom. He thought since he could manipulate my mom he could rule the house and not get away with it. Sometimes it can work with a younger guy as long as they don't abuse the spouse or their kids. My husband is a couple of years younger then me.

April 28, 2008, 12:48 pm CDT

older? younger?

Why wouldn't it be ok for an older woman to date a younger man? MEN DATE YOUNGER WOMEN ALL THE TIME! If it is ok for men to do it then it is ok for the women also. I don't think it is morally right myself because people need to ask themselves "Would I date someone young enough to be my kid?" Why do people think when they date someone that much younger then they are it is ok, what  just because they are adults in the laws eyes? They are still young enough to be one of your kids! Most relationships with that BIG of an age gap usually doesn't work because the elder of the 2 wants to try and parent them instead of join as 1 and compromise with the decisions in the relationship. I don't understand the "want" to be with someone that is so much younger and I guess i'll never know. But hey, as I said in the beginning, if MEN can do it the by golly so can the WOMEN!!! So "COUGAR UP" ladies, I guess!!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last