Message Boards

Topic : 05/06 Moochers

Number of Replies: 97
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 02, 2008, 01:20:38 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
They drain your finances and try to take you for all you’ve got. No, it’s not the IRS, but family freeloaders! First up, when Ryan appeared on the show two years ago, he proudly wore the title King of All Moochers. His mother, Adele, was desperate to get him off the couch and out of her house. After the show, Adele took Dr. Phil’s advice and didn’t give Ryan one penny. But just when she thought her son was getting on his feet, she says Ryan was back to his old ways. She says he’s not contributing to the baby he has with his ex-girlfriend and is about to marry Tanya, a woman with a 5-year-old son, who is now pregnant with his child! Now that Ryan and Tanya have another baby on the way, Ryan says he’s serious about changing his mooching ways. Will he step up to the plate and be a father, or is Tanya just another victim of Ryan’s  freeloading lifestyle? Then, Stacey says her 42-year-old brother, Mark, is bleeding her dry. He lives in her basement and hasn’t paid rent in three months. Mark says he’s not a moocher, and it’s not his fault he doesn’t have a job -- he’s just not a morning person. Stacey says her mother, Nell, is a big enabler when it comes to Mark, but is Stacey just as guilty? Will Mark hear the wake-up call before he finds himself on the streets? Tell us what you think.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you have an adult child still living at home? Share your story here: Adult Children Living at Home

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 3, 2008, 9:45 am CDT

05/06 Moochers

Mark says it isn't his fault he doesn't have a job? That's a crock! And, he isn't a moring person? That's another crock. He could become a morning person by going to bed at a reasonable hour. And, who says he has to get a job that starts before noon? As long as he gets a job. I think he's just too sorry and lazy to work. Thanks to an enabling family who has never required anything of him.

May 3, 2008, 9:47 am CDT

ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION - 7 LEVELS

A depressive disorder is a whole-body illness, involving your body, mood, and thoughts.  It affects the way you eat and sleep, the way you feel about yourself and the way you do things.  A depressive disorder is not the same as a passing blue mood.  Without treatment, symptoms can last for weeks, months, or years.  Possibly the saddest fact about depression is that much of this suffering is unnecessary.  Most people with a depressive illness do not seek treatment.  Unfortunately, many people do not recognize they have a treatable illness.  Appropriate treatment however, can help most people who suffer from depression including psychotherapy and depending on the severity, medication.  Some of my favorite books that provide a great introduction and insight are:

Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward AND Why is it Always About You?  The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss

Healthy Boundaries Workbook: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Set and Maintain Better Boundaries by Deborah Deiboldt Legge 

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm

Healing Anxiety and Depression (7 types of anxiety and depression) by Daniel Amen and Lisa Routh OR Getting Help:  The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Self-Assessment and Treatment of Mental Health Problems by Jeffrey Wood

The brain is involved in everything we do.  How we think, how we feel, how we act, and how well we get along with other people is related to the moment-by-moment functioning of the brain. When the brain works right, people tend to work right. When the brain is troubled, people tend to struggle being their best selves. 

Hope it helps!

May 3, 2008, 9:54 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Moochers Phil/Robin Show. Are you kidding me? I donot moocher at all. And I do work for Target----

Store on Tuesday and Thursday. See you on Tuesday May 06th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaandere--

n.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

May 3, 2008, 11:09 am CDT

Moochers

These  two men need to get off their Butts and get a job. The world and their famlies  dont owe them a living. They are lazy bums. One said he cant help he does not have a job. Many a morning I have got up at 5:00 am. to work a fultime job and work from 6:00 pm to 10:00pm.a part time job. There are no excuses for not having ajob.

May 3, 2008, 12:11 pm CDT

Where i stand on this topic

I'm a 42 y/o man, and i am the youngest of a family of 11. I have been shown moral values by my parents and sibblings at a young age. I never wanted to depend on others finacialy, unfortunately cancer put my life on hold for a while. I already had bad eyesight, taking meds for epilepsy. All this to say that moochers need to find something they can do job wise to have the satisfaction of feeling useful. I did it, today my sight is not as good as it used to be, the cancer treatments affected my hearing, i still take meds for my epilepsy, but i get up everyday and go to work as a photographer for a few local newspapers. The reward is not financial believe me,  but the feeling of a job well done is worth more than a paycheck. In conclusion, i will leave all you moochers this to think about, "THERE ARE AND ALWAYS WILL BE PEOPLE IN A WORST SITUATION THAN YOU, SO BE GRATEFULL OF WHAT YOU HAVE".

May 3, 2008, 1:58 pm CDT

"he's just not a morning person"

tough, buddy.  i'm not a morning person either, but i'm a full-time student AND i hold a job (and my parents do NOT pay everything for me).  sometimes ya just hafta suck it up! 

May 3, 2008, 3:28 pm CDT

Moochers

These moochers are sociopaths. You don't have to be a serial killer to be a sociopath and these people are at the benign end of the spectrum because they don't care about other people and are perfectly willing to take advantage of their relatives' good nature and/or compassion. To the people being taken advantage of, I say you get what you settle for. If you're going to let them continue to mooch, then quit whining. You have the perfect host-parasite relationship. At least your enabling tendencies will keep the moochers from preying on other unsuspecting people. It's funny...you never see moochers starving to death, do you? Kick them out. They won't stand on their own as long as they're getting a handout.

May 3, 2008, 3:40 pm CDT

The Moocher is at it Again

Well enough is enough with this guy, and how irresponsible getting another woman pregnant, when he can't even look after himself, I guess he's planing on being a moocher once again.  I feel sorry for this woman, guess she missed him the first time around, or perhaps she is just wanting to be mooched from like all the other people in this life!

Run girl run, this can only lead to nothing but unhappiness and a definite excuse not to work ever!

May 3, 2008, 5:20 pm CDT

moochers

i think its a crime for these people to keep enabling the moochers, i have a policy not to help people that dont want to help themselves, im not one that likes beating my head against a wall. im the first one to be there to help someone but im not going to carry them thru the trouble, there barking up the wrong tree with me. never had anything handed to me, ive worked for everything ive got and it wasnt easy, but well worth the pay off. 

May 3, 2008, 7:01 pm CDT

05/06 Moochers

Okay, I have to ask,
What do you get out of this ? Seriously, do enablers ENJOY being the martyrs ?
I have no problem helping people out, S*** happens to the best of us, and sometimes we NEED help, but come on, living rent free in your sister's basement because you are not a "Morning Person" get over yourself, get a job working Backshift then, simple solution.  I freely admit I am Not a "Morning Person " either, so I don't work early mornings, I prefer Backshift (I'm a night owl ) and there is always someone home when the kids are here (hubby works days ) so its win win, we've NEVER had to pay for childcare, I admit to being sleep deprived for the past twenty some years, but the kids never suffered for it.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last