Message Boards

Topic : 05/22 Cults?

Number of Replies: 108
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 16, 2008, 02:24:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine living in an extreme religious group where your every move is controlled. Dr. Phil recently examined the aftermath of the raid on the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and now he shines a spotlight on one woman who says she left a religious sect and struggles with life in the outside world. Anna says she was trying to get herself “right with God” when she joined Tony Alamo ministries in 1989. In 2000, she escaped what she calls a cult with her seven children. But her troubles didn’t end there. Her ex-husband visited the family several years ago in December, and Anna let him take four of their kids Christmas shopping. She hasn’t seen them since. Dr. Phil put private investigator Harold Copus on the case. You won’t believe what his search yields. Then, Dr. Phil asks Anna if she uses corporal punishment on the children currently living with her. Anna denies abusing her kids, but what do  Dr. Phil cameras placed in her home show? Why did Child Protective Services remove her kids from the home? Nearly two months have passed since Anna spoke with Dr. Phil, and she still doesn’t have her children back. What does the future hold for this anguished mom, and will her family finally be reunited? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 25, 2008, 10:04 am CDT

not the same thing!

Quote From: marianparoo

...more religion to anyone whose abuse was rooted in religion in the first place.
You prob don't know this but religion & God are not the same thing. She needs to be in a church that is healthy & thriving and teaching basic bible principle not the church (CULT) she was in...

I have also left a church that had very cultish behaviours. They controlled who I was, what I wore, how I conducted myself, preached against jewelrey, pants, make up & cutting my hair... amongst many other things.

I was in it for 10 years and am glad to finally free of it, BUT I didn't stop going to church because of that experience...
Infact in that church I learnt about God and His great love for me and that's what I knew of when I left them - thus urging me on to find a church that was healthy, that taught me basic bible principles but allowed me to make my own decisions, whether good or bad...

And now I know that I'm healthy, loving God and loving life in a church that builds me up and empowers me to be bold, brave & strong (things I never was before!)

I'm more into God than ever before - even with my short hair, skinny jeans, earrings & make up! Most churches will have flaws but God will never! I go coz I love and serve Him and this lady and her kids can have that too... all the best dear!

July 25, 2008, 10:21 am CDT

hahahahhah!!

Quote From: urrutiap

There's nothing wrong with joining a cult.  People who dont know anything about cults are ignorant.

Such as people who are shocked at the discovery of the polygamist camp they're just jealous they're not a member.

Either this was written to give this message board a rev or we're dealing with an idiot!

Cults are for people who can't think or make decisions for themselves. That's where I was when I was in one. And all the other hundreds of people that were with me... it showed in their fruit!

Friend: Questions to figure out if I'm being controlled.... (bet u answer NO to all of them)
*Can you leave when ever I like with no consequense?
*can I say no to my leader without consequence?
*can I wear whatever I like without conseqence?
*can I say no when a leader asks for my 14 y/o daughter for "reproduction purposes" without consequence?
*can I own a TV, washing machine & dryer in the compound?
*can I leave and go to another church outside my religion without consequence?

Honestly I could go on for hours!

Mate I was in a church that pretty much bordered on being a cult! I know how these things work and they try to teach us that people are jelous - it's not true!

That we're stared at in public coz they want to be like us - again not true... they think we're weirdo's!

I truely hope you find Jesus mate!

September 20, 2008, 11:03 pm CDT

Thank you Dr. Phil

Thank you for being one of  the first to bring the atrocities of  Tony Alamo to the public's awareness.  Last night his compound in Arkansas, where your show filmed a segment, was finally raided!  You can read all about it on CNN and hundreds of newspapers across the country.  You can get more information on tonyalamonews.com also.

September 22, 2008, 5:43 am CDT

Thank God!

Let's hope they serve a warrant on this guy and let him face justice. Your show made a lot of us worry about the safety of those children, and it's so good to know that someone finally got in there and started cleaning house. There's nothing quite as dangerous as someone who has that kind of control over people. Let's hope that those children are safe now, and let's hope that the parents get the help they need to get out of the brainwashing.

September 23, 2008, 8:22 pm CDT

An update on Anna!

Anna was just on a news broadcast about Tony Alamo's compound where her children are being kept from her.  It is on KATV.  You can watch it :  http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0908/555897_video.html?ref=newsstory

November 10, 2008, 4:59 pm CST

fear

Quote From: urrutiap

Seriously people who fear cults such as the polygamist compounds or other stuff like Wicca.. people that fear them and whatever else are ignorant.

This is a free country. The right to have different religions and stuff.  If I want to join a polygamist group or Wicca I'll join it

you are right it is a free country but there are laws in this country that are there to protect children who do not have a voice of their own. Yes we have a right to our own religion, but no religion  I know of preaches the abuse and neglect of children. Free Country yes but that does not give you license to do whatever you want. that is called anarchy

January 10, 2009, 2:03 pm CST

about charges against alamo

Quote From: msmacnla

I used to live in Santa Clarita, CA and remember the Alamo Foundation that was either on Bouquet Canyon or Sierra Hwy.  I'm pretty sure he was indicted for his actions then.  He told his members, that to become a member, they had to have sex with his wife.  Apparently, she was some kind of sex addict.  Some of my facts may be a bit disjointed and I'm not sure if he did any jail time.  But now he is operating in Texas?  I believe that the original building is still standing with the name still emblazoned on it's facade....
My mom works at the Federal Prison here and Alamo was released sometime in the 90's before the compound went up in Fouke. I live in this city too and knew there was a lot of talk about him and what he was up to, but didnt realize the magnitude of it all until it was raided again this last month and I saw it on National news. They are still attempting to find some of the missing kids and have done searches in multiple states trying to find Alamo's right hand man to face his charges as well.

April 1, 2009, 9:42 pm CDT

cult

cult

I was brought up as a Jehovahs Witness, and also brought up my own two sons in the religion. When my marriiage broke up I beleived it was right to keep the boys from seeing their father who was disfellowshipped and regarded as "apostate". I persuaded them over time (huge regrets for this) to call him and tell him themselves. I hurt them so badly, they will never recover. So many "normal" things they missed out on due to my religious fervour.

My Ex husband now runs a "group" where he is the reincarnated Jesus and lives with his "soul mate" the reincarnated Mary Magdalene. He has leadership of at least 80 local people plus many more worlwide through his seminars and dvd's. He travels the world and now lives off donations to the group.

My sons are 22 and 24 yrs old and have many emotional scars from the cult they grew up in and the cult their father now espouses!!!

My poor boys, I love them so much and it kills me to see them in emotional pain. Both suffer depression (of course) and feel as though they "dont fit in" with normal people.

They are absolutely gorgeous young men despite their problems and try very hard to wrestle with their emotions on many subjects.

I wish Dr Phil could help us.

Sheree

First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next Page | Last Page