Message Boards

Topic : 05/22 Cults?

Number of Replies: 108
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 16, 2008, 02:24:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine living in an extreme religious group where your every move is controlled. Dr. Phil recently examined the aftermath of the raid on the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and now he shines a spotlight on one woman who says she left a religious sect and struggles with life in the outside world. Anna says she was trying to get herself “right with God” when she joined Tony Alamo ministries in 1989. In 2000, she escaped what she calls a cult with her seven children. But her troubles didn’t end there. Her ex-husband visited the family several years ago in December, and Anna let him take four of their kids Christmas shopping. She hasn’t seen them since. Dr. Phil put private investigator Harold Copus on the case. You won’t believe what his search yields. Then, Dr. Phil asks Anna if she uses corporal punishment on the children currently living with her. Anna denies abusing her kids, but what do  Dr. Phil cameras placed in her home show? Why did Child Protective Services remove her kids from the home? Nearly two months have passed since Anna spoke with Dr. Phil, and she still doesn’t have her children back. What does the future hold for this anguished mom, and will her family finally be reunited? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 20, 2008, 4:34 pm CDT

05/22 Cults?

Quote From: urrutiap

There's nothing wrong with joining a cult.  People who dont know anything about cults are ignorant.

Such as people who are shocked at the discovery of the polygamist camp they're just jealous they're not a member.

Oh yes, I am so jealous esp. of the prarie dresses and the hairstyles, I can't imagine what I'm missing. (sarcasm)  Oh, and sharing my husband, and having 20000 rugrats underfoot.....yes, I'm mising out on paradise, silly me, I thought I had it good until you came along and burst my bubble ROLFL!!! snort snort

May 21, 2008, 1:53 am CDT

fundamentalist

In any cults you can find the fundamentalist they always believe they are right and the other peaple are wrong .

In the first they saying good words about God and they want to make all thing right they make you feel love with God then this cult change and become hard you feel they hate anybody differ with us instead of they become more mercy .you can feel the God here with yourself you can read and search for the truth .you will feel that in your heart. we don't need anybody think for us . I DON'T agree to polygamist my mind don't accept that put many people accept that if they are happy I don't care . if my husband want a next wife I will leave him. the problem when the man is married if he make  anther relationship he feel guilty but when he believe this relationship is personal right in your cult this is big hard for his wife. he become without heart and you will see some people berate this wife why she don't accept the next wife then become customary the man must have a many of wifes . this is change in culture slowly.

May 21, 2008, 12:55 pm CDT

? LDS not a cult

Quote From: queenslander

Hi my name is Karen and my message is that the FLDS are a pretty bad people and how they run their religion is really bad too. I am a member of the LDS church (not the FLDS church) and when I hear about the FLDS church it puts a bad name on me and I hate that.
I am sorry but a Pastor of mine(Iam a Christian) told me that LDS are in fact a cult because they believe that Jesus came twice, during his time here on earth and then to America.  There are several other reasons he stated also in the idea that LDS do not believe the the Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Ghost, and are not batized as such.

May 21, 2008, 12:58 pm CDT

baptized

Quote From: queenslander

Hi my name is Karen and my message is that the FLDS are a pretty bad people and how they run their religion is really bad too. I am a member of the LDS church (not the FLDS church) and when I hear about the FLDS church it puts a bad name on me and I hate that.
Sorry I meant to say baptized.

May 21, 2008, 2:46 pm CDT

sore subject

This topic really hits home for me. I was raised in a church that controlled (and still does) by fear and intimidation. It is something that stays with you always. I still have family members in this obscure "church". Some of them are children and I watch helplessly, painfully at what they are subjected to. I have a family member who was sent to a "boarding school" for "at risk" kids that this church runs in a rural location. The kids are branded as "bad" when they are sent there for rebelling against the church. Some are sent because they have no place to go. Once they are sent there, however, they are deemed "at risk" and so when in the past they have tried to seek help for the abuse no one in the church will believe them because they have been thus discredited. The place was shut down by the state once, and later allowed to reopen. I am doing research to see if I can do anything.................but I have no evidence other than the word of two former "students" and the fact that the state saw reason to close it once.

May 21, 2008, 6:24 pm CDT

05/22 Cults?

Honestly, God/religion/faith/grace when did all of this become grounds for such arguing, such hatred, evil.  I have no answer, no suggestion. I know whats right and whats wrong and so does everyone else,don't kid yourself. I'm not an expert but I don't believe that God/religion/faith/grace intended for us to use it to breed wrongful, hateful, actions and words... how about instead of enforcing the bad blah blah blah..they do it wrong. Enforce the fact that really good people are trying to help these young girls who were wronged, people have opened up their homes. Look at that guys.

May 21, 2008, 7:24 pm CDT

05/22 Cults?

Quote From: lady_michiru

Any person wanting to join a group, whether religious or otherwise, should use their own sound

judgment.

Sound judgment is one thing that a cult leader can never take away from you, no matter how

charismatic or charming they may appear to be.

Remember what the Bible says, "By their fruits, ye shall know them."

Watch what the leader does outside of the group setting.

If a cult leader asks you to do something foolish or dangerous, think to yourself, would Christ want

me to do this ?

These cult leaders are wolves in sheep's clothing.

Remember, dear friends, these so-called cult leaders are only mortals, they are not gods.

These stupid cults are the main reason that I turned my back on Western religions.

As a practitioner of Buddhism & Shitoism, I am always thinking about Lord Buddha & Lady

Amaterasu-o Mikami, my Divine Parents.

May the peace & serenity of Lord Buddha be with you all.

Yours Sincerely,

Lady Michiru

I think though, and I could be wrong, been known to happen,
The people who join cults already feel marginalized by society, and are looking for something to make them whole.  These smooth talkers know who to go for, they generally prey on people at their lowest points, who feel empty inside, this fills the void for them.

May 21, 2008, 8:06 pm CDT

Tony Alamo MInistries

This group has been in trouble for decades.  This so called pastor preaches that little girls are to marry and start having children when they start to menustrate. Even if they are 10 years old.  He ordered the beating of one young man till he bleed through his pants. It cost the church 2 million dollars in damages for mental and physical abuse.

You can hear his messages on tonyalamonews.com. This site has been working to expose him.  He preaches and practices polygamy.  There is no education except what Alamo wants them to learn.

This man, and I use that term lightly, separates families.  Anna's story is not the only one about this. There are other parents seeking their rights to their children.  Research this man.  Tell everyone you know what you learn.  Warn people of the danger for the children being raised there.

May 22, 2008, 9:00 am CDT

Red flag.......

Quote From: paca06

This group has been in trouble for decades.  This so called pastor preaches that little girls are to marry and start having children when they start to menustrate. Even if they are 10 years old.  He ordered the beating of one young man till he bleed through his pants. It cost the church 2 million dollars in damages for mental and physical abuse.

You can hear his messages on tonyalamonews.com. This site has been working to expose him.  He preaches and practices polygamy.  There is no education except what Alamo wants them to learn.

This man, and I use that term lightly, separates families.  Anna's story is not the only one about this. There are other parents seeking their rights to their children.  Research this man.  Tell everyone you know what you learn.  Warn people of the danger for the children being raised there.

I believe that it's a red flag when you see a church that carries someone's name....it pretty much tells you that the founder of the church sees himself as being above God.

This is sad because these people in cults do so much harm. There are so many people who are on the fence about religion anyway, and seeing and hearing about these fanatics turns them totally away from believing in the REAL God and what He's really all about. 

Common sense should rule.......any "religion" that does anything to the extreme in the name of the Bible and God; things that cause pain and fear; any so-called "church" that has to operate in secrecy and an atmosphere of imprisonment with fences all around it, and any "church" that has one person at the head of it calling the shots should be viewed with caution and suspicion.  

Someday these cult leaders will have to face the real God.

May 22, 2008, 11:01 am CDT

Have to give my compliments, then my comments

Dr. Phil, you looked smashing in your all black outfit on the second half of the show.  Of couse, Robin always has it going on. 

The show was the bomb!  The best this week.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last