Message Boards

Topic : 05/22 Cults?

Number of Replies: 108
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 16, 2008, 02:24:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine living in an extreme religious group where your every move is controlled. Dr. Phil recently examined the aftermath of the raid on the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and now he shines a spotlight on one woman who says she left a religious sect and struggles with life in the outside world. Anna says she was trying to get herself “right with God” when she joined Tony Alamo ministries in 1989. In 2000, she escaped what she calls a cult with her seven children. But her troubles didn’t end there. Her ex-husband visited the family several years ago in December, and Anna let him take four of their kids Christmas shopping. She hasn’t seen them since. Dr. Phil put private investigator Harold Copus on the case. You won’t believe what his search yields. Then, Dr. Phil asks Anna if she uses corporal punishment on the children currently living with her. Anna denies abusing her kids, but what do  Dr. Phil cameras placed in her home show? Why did Child Protective Services remove her kids from the home? Nearly two months have passed since Anna spoke with Dr. Phil, and she still doesn’t have her children back. What does the future hold for this anguished mom, and will her family finally be reunited? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 22, 2008, 2:21 pm CDT

That cult

I can understand why that mother is scared about her children being in that place. I live in that small town where the Tony Alamo cult is based. I use to live right through the woods from there & i was terrified of that place. He has people with guns blocking off streets. You can't even drive by slow without his men giving you werid looks & putting there hands near their guns. I hate to think what those kids are made to do in there. You see them outside being made to work every now & then. He sends some of his men out through the town to hear what people are saying about him. He has tried a number of times to take over our small town. No one in this town wants him here but we have no way to get him out.

May 22, 2008, 2:26 pm CDT

Hello....

Quote From: marianparoo

...more religion to anyone whose abuse was rooted in religion in the first place.

Because not all religion is the same obviously! 

Thats like saying that since you tried chicken and hate it, then never touch beef or fish or ham!

Not to mention God has nothing to do with all this "religion" he is just God.  And he is THE answer.

May 22, 2008, 2:33 pm CDT

You are in denial.

Quote From: urrutiap

There's nothing wrong with joining a cult.  People who dont know anything about cults are ignorant.

Such as people who are shocked at the discovery of the polygamist camp they're just jealous they're not a member.

I wouldn't want to be a member in a sickening cult like that, or in any other type of cults.  You are in denial if you think it's alright for this crazy person can have sex with children, don't send them to school.  Twisted their thinking to be like his-warped.  Having sex with other mens wives.  Having people with guns to keep others out.  You say we're jealous that we're not in a polygamist camp.  No, I'm not jealous period!!!!  I'm not going to ever be putting myself into a dangerous situation so this monster can try to rule over me.  I have a lot more common sense to never join something like that.  After watching about Jim Jones, I'm very careful of what Church I go to. If I feel something isn't right, I'm out of there for good.  I'm my own person, my own leader, I'm not a follower!!!!   

I'm so happy that the polygamist camp was raided and gotten all those poor little children out.  I hope they all get raided in the United States and take all those innocent children and put them in loving homes.  I can't get over how can someone say they're God.  No one on earth is God and using the Bible verses in a sickening, twisted, warp way to control people.  I can't get over these people actually follow these fools. Come on people, use your own mind and common sense.  Get out of there and don't ever go back. 

The government needs to raid all of those cults and stop this sickening behavior. All of the sickos of the cults need to be put into prison. 

May 22, 2008, 2:37 pm CDT

Tony Alamo Ministries

What needs to be made known here is this woman was dignosed with post-traumatic stress disorder when she escaped this cult. Her daughter and the girl in the video she was fighting with were raised in this cult.  She had caught them sneaking out and having boys there while she was gone.

2 things to remember, Harold Copus said, "they have weapons", and "we have a problem here". 

Tony Alamo destroys lives.  That is the issue.

Sure Anna is in pain. Who would'nt be?  After going from abuse in a cult, having her children abused there , to having 4 of them kidnapped and returned to the Hell hole.  If I had a teenager defying me and cusing I'd loose my temper too.  We wish the best for Anna and her family.  - PACA

May 22, 2008, 2:44 pm CDT

I totally agree with you.

Quote From: nasale

Good for you! It's pretty pathetic that people's minds can be so warped that they can see anything positive in living under such conditions. People in jail don't talk about how 'good they've got it' and they've got more freedom that these cults!
I totally agree with you.  These peoples minds are so warped.  Using, abusing and twisting INNOCENT CHILDRENS minds to satisfy their selfish ways.  And yes, these people are going to be facing the "REAL GOD."

May 22, 2008, 2:59 pm CDT

Remember Tony Alamo

When I was a young girl. Tony Alamo had his church in my home town of Alma Arkansas. I can remember when his wife died he had her body in his home for along time.Dont know how true that was but I do remember they tried to take over our little town back then. it would have to have been in the 70s they were here.

May 22, 2008, 3:02 pm CDT

did you know

I've been keeping track of rev. Moon since my encounter with the Moonies in 1979. Over the years, this cult has gained a lot of clout in our government: they own and operate the Washington Times and UPI press. The cult is a mullti-billion dollar operation with wide spread international ties. Most Americans do not know how much influence these Moonies wield in their lives--from eating sushi in your favorite restaurant to hearing rumors that were printed in Insight Magazine that Obama is Muslim. Do some research you will be amazed

May 22, 2008, 3:11 pm CDT

05/22 Cults?

Quote From: paca06

What needs to be made known here is this woman was dignosed with post-traumatic stress disorder when she escaped this cult. Her daughter and the girl in the video she was fighting with were raised in this cult.  She had caught them sneaking out and having boys there while she was gone.

2 things to remember, Harold Copus said, "they have weapons", and "we have a problem here". 

Tony Alamo destroys lives.  That is the issue.

Sure Anna is in pain. Who would'nt be?  After going from abuse in a cult, having her children abused there , to having 4 of them kidnapped and returned to the Hell hole.  If I had a teenager defying me and cusing I'd loose my temper too.  We wish the best for Anna and her family.  - PACA

You forget the 4 children that child services has taken from her, for abuse and giving alcohol too and non supervision of the children,  great mother yeah right!!!!!

May 22, 2008, 4:20 pm CDT

Wasn't Tony Alamo indicted in the early 80's?

I used to live in Santa Clarita, CA and remember the Alamo Foundation that was either on Bouquet Canyon or Sierra Hwy.  I'm pretty sure he was indicted for his actions then.  He told his members, that to become a member, they had to have sex with his wife.  Apparently, she was some kind of sex addict.  Some of my facts may be a bit disjointed and I'm not sure if he did any jail time.  But now he is operating in Texas?  I believe that the original building is still standing with the name still emblazoned on it's facade....

May 22, 2008, 5:29 pm CDT

Get Real

Quote From: getrealtime

You forget the 4 children that child services has taken from her, for abuse and giving alcohol too and non supervision of the children,  great mother yeah right!!!!!
I believe this woman was still lying as she sat there crying her eyes out (which I think was fake).  She has no business EVER getting her children back.  This is a ploy on her part- for attention.  If you listened carefully, she said, "but I love babies".   Why?  Because she can control them and they need her.  Once the child gets older and no longer depends upon her, she has another child, and then another child, and another and another.  This woman should never be permitted to see her children again. If I could get on the show, and confront her, I would not hesitate telling her quit having children and destroying their lives for your satisfaction.  What a sad, pitiful woman.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last