Message Boards

Topic : 08/07 Against All Odds

Number of Replies: 69
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 23, 2008, 07:44:26 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/28/08) Whether through music and dance, or sports and education, The Dr. Phil Foundation makes a difference in the lives of children -- especially those who strive to succeed against all odds. Catch up with some of the deserving donation recipients, and see how their lives have changed. From providing music lessons to help for abused foster children, your contributions have been making an amazing difference. Don’t miss these inspiring stories and more! Then, meet an inspiration to children everywhere. He longed to be a pianist, and after years of hard work and determination, he has toured the globe performing, worked with a multi-Grammy winner and is now a rising star in the music scene. Find out how he did it. Plus, Dr. Phil and Robin make a special announcement. Learn what they're doing and how you can make a positive difference in a child's life. And, don't miss Dr. Phil and Robin's surprises for these guests. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 28, 2008, 3:48 pm CDT

did I miss this also????

Quote From: dibobrchjo

Todays show was really good.  I love seeing the follow-ups especially when people are helped.  I thought that they were going to follow up on the deaf blind triplets.  That story truly touched me and I was wondering how the children and mom are making out.  Did I miss it???????

I was waiting to hear about the triplets also and figured I must have missed it, but don't really think that I did.  Didn't Dr. Phil say that they were doing an update on them?  Where was it????  I also was wondering what has happened to them and how the parents are coping with such a truly big hardship.  I don't even think that I could cope with one child like that and they are coping with three.  Please update us on this family.

May 28, 2008, 4:01 pm CDT

She didn't at 4

Quote From: kittty56

That's a wonderful thing but almost too hard to believe. How does a 4 yr. old have any concept of a Dr. Phil Foundation? I'm sure you told her and cootoes to you and her.
At 4 she got gifts for the local "Teddy Bear Den", and she got to go deliver them. She thought that was cool. At 5 she donated the gifts to a local family in need and got to meet the children. She thought that was even cooler. The only Dr. Phil shows I let her watch are the ones where he helps children. She said that she wanted to help, so we started sending in her Birthday money. If you could see the excitement in her face when she gets the checks to send in, you would understand how this young girl thrives on helping. The shows confirm to her where the money goes. A child is never too young to have a love of seeing others happy.

May 28, 2008, 4:28 pm CDT

A Wonderful Child

Quote From: corkie

At 4 she got gifts for the local "Teddy Bear Den", and she got to go deliver them. She thought that was cool. At 5 she donated the gifts to a local family in need and got to meet the children. She thought that was even cooler. The only Dr. Phil shows I let her watch are the ones where he helps children. She said that she wanted to help, so we started sending in her Birthday money. If you could see the excitement in her face when she gets the checks to send in, you would understand how this young girl thrives on helping. The shows confirm to her where the money goes. A child is never too young to have a love of seeing others happy.

i think it is wonderful what you have taught your daughter to do... i have brought my youth choir to sing at geisinger medical which is next to the ronal mc d house in pa.... i am not sure if that is where you live but i would like to invite you to have your child give locally.... i am Elaine.... i was the one Dr.phil said has the TYME youth center in Pa....please check out our website....and consider us for future donations...

www.itsmytyme.com

May 28, 2008, 4:32 pm CDT

They are worth it

Quote From: emoniq

i just wanted to thank Dr. Phil again for his support to the TYME Youth Center, www.itsmytyme.com,

our appearing on the show has done so much for letting people know we are here and we need financial

help to keep our programs going.... we help so many kids and of course kids don't know the cost of things...they just know that we are there for them...so when someone like Dr. phil tells our story...it lets others know what we need....and for that i am forever grateful....

My niece came to us when she was 11 and she only had a first grade education and had been abused beyond belief. I tried to get her when she was 2 but the state left her where she was. I had moved 3,000 miles away and had lost contact. Finally people like your organization brought her to me. She is 14 now and up to grade level. She is thriving and is one of the most wonderful people I have the honer of being with. Keep up the good work because these children or worth it.
Lots of love to you.
You too Dr. Phil

May 28, 2008, 4:46 pm CDT

Missed it too

I guess I missed the triplets as well. I was cooking while watching the show and may have been distracted. My daughters friend also donates her birthday presents to charity. Her birthday is around Christmas so she donates to children who would't have a Christmas. She will be 17 this year and I know she has been doing it for at least the last 5 years. I'm not talking about a few gifts I'm talking about box after box of gifts. She always throws a really big party with around 300 kids and they are all asked to bring a new unwrapped gift for a young boy or girl to be donated. It's always a huge success. Last year alone she donated over 700 gifts just from her party. The young lady is quite amazing. She says she has everything she needs and that she wants to be sure other kids have what they need too. Today's show was great but if the triplets were on at all it must have been a really short update.

May 28, 2008, 5:36 pm CDT

What happened with the triplets?

Quote From: jmmjhm

I was waiting to hear about the triplets also and figured I must have missed it, but don't really think that I did.  Didn't Dr. Phil say that they were doing an update on them?  Where was it????  I also was wondering what has happened to them and how the parents are coping with such a truly big hardship.  I don't even think that I could cope with one child like that and they are coping with three.  Please update us on this family.
 I also watched the show waiting for an update that didn't happen.  I had the show taped and I had to play it  a  second time because I thought I missed it.  They did show them on a commercial but not on the show.  What happened Dr. Phil?

May 28, 2008, 5:42 pm CDT

CASA

We are adoptive parents here in CA.  We started doing shelter care and foster care after I stopped working. we live here in Blythe.  Our  town is small, rural farming community. We have CASA's trained here that are NOT used and need to be. My experience about CASA,  is they work for the child. What is best for them, Not what is best for the Social worker or easier. I have  children that have been placed in our home that unfortunately should have been in the system a long time ago. I have out of our own family finances bought Christmas, drove as far as 300 miles to food banks to help,  Every Christmas eve our family goes around to several of these homes and children that wold not otherwise have anything make sure they do. I am only one women doing what i can. Sometimes I wonder if I am straight crazy, But when a child comes up to me at school 6 months later and gives  me a hug, Its all worth it. We have only one grocery store in this town. Dentists and therapists are about 100 miles one way and most of these children need it. As foster parents that burden is placed upon us.  We must at all times keep  all size clothes, back packs, tooth brushes, shoes you never know when your going to get a child. I have worked my tail off to get foster homes here so children do not have to leave the area. Most of these children have never even been out of this town.  CASA's are great if the Social workers here in the Desert region would use them BUT they don;t.  We need to address the issues and as a system we are broken. we need help. We have people here willing to help but we need resources and quick.  Our adoptive son, Our son Zachary, is amazing he shares his home his toys and his parents with these children. Hopefully we are instilling some morales and ethics and showing him that ALL Children have the right to be safe, have food and shelter.  I will continue to be child advocate as long as we can.  These are our future and we own them that. The system ahs to change and start making these parents accountable too. We make it too easy. We provide transportation, counseling  food, clothing and help and they still hurt abuse neglect these children. Fifty percent of all children in the foster care in the United States live here in California. The average time a child is put back in the system after they are reunified is less than six months. That is horrible. And children are being left in the system longe than  what the Law states they should be or are allowed to be.

People wake up, WE all are accountable for these children!!!

May 28, 2008, 6:13 pm CDT

05/28 Against All Odds

Quote From: jprhedd

As a retired CPS investigator, who unfortunately had those stacks of files to deal with, I cringed as did my fellow workers whenever a CASA person was court ordered to our case. Depending on the state, the primary mandate of most foster care agencies is to return the child to the home. CASA workers took this to mean "no matter what". They fought investigators tooth and nail to return the children to awful homes. I am sorry that the show is being snowed by these "mentors". A little more investigation would certainly reveal some absolutely stunning bad decisions on the part of these undereducated do gooders. I have retired for ten years and it still bothers me.

"Depending on the state"...  which state did you retire as CPS investigator?  "...They fought investigators".... "A little more investigation... by whom? the investigator?  "bad decisons on the part of these undereducated do gooders"...I thought decisions were made by the Judges???  In my state. the do gooders only make "recommendations" to the Judge and the Judge decides based on the facts....  I can understand your frustration as I am sure you have seen many unforgettable outcomes, you most certainly were overworked and underpaid, but there are usually "some" good apples in every barrel.   Saving "some" of the children is better than saving none.  We are all not perfect and I know many a judge who has had case decisions they made which bothered them (but they had to follow the law), but as you and I both know...nothing is perfect...IF IT WERE....you and your fellow workers would not have had to "cringe" whenever a CASA person was court ordered to your case ~ there would be no need for CASA workers OR CPS investigators. 

Thank God I live in America.....this is my opinion and I am stickin to it! :)

May 28, 2008, 8:08 pm CDT

Terrific Show

What a great show!  Mother directs a local agency that provides the training and a child friendly environment to interview children who may have been abused or neglected when an interview with the child is necessary to establish a case.  Before this agency, children were often interviewed multiple times by officers that had no special training at the police station.  This is often very traumatic for the children. It is very important to prevent children who have been abused from being re-traumatized as that increases their vulnerability to depression and anxiety disorders.  This agency also takes a load off of law enforcement and CPS.  They also coordinate therapy for the children and the families.
For us, it is a whole family and friends affair.  The agency was established by one of our closest friends, a law enforcement officer, and his wife.  Over the years, they have gained the support of law enforcement, CPS, CASA,  the county attourney and the other attorneys in the area, medical personnel, victims, business owners, and the community as a whole.  We are very fortunate, as the agency is supported by the entire community.  We do a lot of fundraising.  My kids are also very involved in that part of the agency.  They wrap presents for needy families at Christmas and sell snow cones to help.
I applaud this show because you let people know what the needs are and what they could do to help.  Those CASA volunteers that donate their time and energy at an incredible emotional cost to help these children are angels.  In our community we have CASA volunteers that, besides their CASA work, also volunteer to help with our fundraisers.  Our local law enforcement officers are also a part of every event.  They will work an incredibly busy 3rd shift, and take presents to families who are struggling.  Several of the officers and CPS workers have become trained in child friendly interviews and attend weekly meetings to improve their skills, so they are helping instead of hurting.  All children in our two counties are interviewed by trained staff in friendly environments.  The County Attorney even helps with fundraisers.  There are so many that help. 
Thank you for reminding people to step up for our kids!

May 28, 2008, 8:10 pm CDT

William Joseph

I just want to say that after hearing this musician on your show, I have bought both albums off iTunes. The sounds I heard went straight to my core, and his story, his generosity and his success enhance the talent he possesses. No - not a talent: a gift.

Thank you for the beautiful show today; you continue to inspire across so many different lines they remain uncountable.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last