Message Boards

Topic : 05/28 Busted Online

Number of Replies: 188
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, September 04, 2008, 12:06:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/08/2008) Parents, listen up! If your child has an online profile, he or she could be one click away from disaster. We’re living in a digital world, where photos can be published online for the world to see in an instant. What you or your child might find acceptable might not be acceptable to college recruiters, potential employers or even the police. Former Miss Washington Elyse Umemoto knows all too well the pitfalls of private photos posted online. After being crowned Miss Seattle in 2007, she posed for pictures while celebrating with friends. When the snapshots ended up on the Internet, she landed in the middle of a scandal. Now she worries how it will affect her future. Then, a college student and a recent graduate meet with a job recruiter to perfect their interviewing skills. Find out what the job recruiter saw online that he thinks might keep them from being hired. And, don’t miss how one college student’s online profile may have helped land him in prison! If you think your digital photos are for your eyes only, think again. What you post on MySpace or Facebook could lead to serious consequences. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 8, 2008, 6:36 am CDT

role models

When it comes to role models the first thing that pops in my mind are ones parents and peers, thirdly would be those who are public.  As childern grow they develop their own beliefs and reactions with what they do or think, blaming those in the media is just seeking out a scapegoat. If ones home life totally sucks then yeah I believe they would look else where for a sense of serenity.  One could be inspired by a musician or an actor/actress is takes a lot of work for some to get where they are. 

September 8, 2008, 7:40 am CDT

Are they really PRIVATE

Quote From: samalie

Hello everyone,

Well, yeah, the Internet can be really dangerous for pictures and such stuff, but I myself have a Facebook and a MySpace account. I got a lot of pictures there (especially on Facebook) but both of the accounts are set to private, and therefore only my friends and relatives can take a look at them.

But this is really confusing... before I put any picture, I thought about it and asked adult people, yeah lol, I did. They said nothing would be wrong as long as I was putting very decent pictures and they were private.

So what now? This is really scary... there are millions of people who use Facebook and MySpace.

I am 16  by the way and again, this is just confusing and I'm very confused. I am type of person who likes to chat with people online (especially the American ones :D) so I sometimes have to add them on my Facebook or MySpace (after making sure that they are fine ones). So what do you guys think? Should I just take my pictures away?

--Thanks! :)

I ask as a parent because my daughter and I do not agree on this matter we are having trouble on this subject and hope you are as scared as I am for the pictures and comments you make on what you say in your facebook and myspace believe me as I parent I love my daugther and cares about her she does not know or care what I think but maybe you will. Keep thinking about how safe you are with your pictures and DO YOU CARE WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE EVEN PRIVATE.... MAYBE MY DAUGHTER WILL LISTEN TO ANOTHER PERSON CLOSE TO HER AGE.  I AS A PARENT CARE FOR HER AND OTHERS AS WELL.. She feels I am judging her and she does not want to judge herself.  I am happy to hear you are

September 8, 2008, 7:40 am CDT

busted on the Internet

I have heard it said many times that your true character is revealed by how you behave when you think that no one is looking!

September 8, 2008, 8:16 am CDT

GREAT JOB DR PHIL!~

Very proud of you and your staff!  SEASON 7 Is going to be Kick A#Z! 

Your shows keep getting better and better!  It would be cool if you incorporate message board postings into the format somehow!

I AM YOUR biggest fan!

xox

S

September 8, 2008, 8:20 am CDT

living with the truth

I watched today's show and here is what I would like to know: how as a society can we hope to find peace within our boarders, yet alone around the world if we do not start on the road of truth.  We are all here having similar life experiences, trying to figure it all out, and yet society tells us to hide the real us.  I think that we have come a long way over the years with talk shows such as Dr. Phil's, Montel Williams, Oprah and the like, that try to bring real life situations out into the open so that we can start finding solutions, having healthy dialog and healing our wounds.  Our society encourages exploration but only to a point and then it wants to shut us down.  We have had a president(or more) that have had an affair, yet if you had a couple of shots of whiskey at a college party, you may not be eligible to work for your local bank or be a entertainment reporter because some one posted a picture of you? Dr. Phil, you speak of an America that needs to return to common sense, well wouldn't this fit right in with that line of thinking? The message seems to say try out these things but don't let anyone know.  I think that we all need to get honest with ourselves and others if we want to find peace.  We need to be able to stand in our truth, acknowledge that our truth may not be for others, and acknowledge that others truth's may not be right for us, however : THAT DOES NOT MAKE THEM WRONG!  I believe that by having tolerance and not having expectations and judgements we can find a way to be at peace with those in our family, community and the world at large.

Thank you for reading my thoughts and feelings.

September 8, 2008, 8:51 am CDT

How do employers see profiles set to private?

I was just curious after watching the Dr. Phil show about the teens that had questionable content on their facebook and my space profiles, as to how they are able to see.  Now I know that many kids do not set their profile setting to private and can totally understand how potential employers, etc could view the content.  What I don't understand is how they view it when it is set to private. Or like on facebook, you have to be friends with that person in order for them to view all your info,  or I think you can have it set up that if they attend your same school or are in your same network, that they can view.  Anyone know?

September 8, 2008, 9:19 am CDT

Busted

Society as a whole commends this type of behavior that you spoke about today.  To me, it is a real Dahhh!!!  moment for anyone who thinks ther actions, private or not, would not speak volumes about their authentic self. I place this type of reaction to the theif that is only sorry  when they are caught. No crown, job, mate or position is what they SHOULD have been thinking about while they were being ugly, not the partying clout they aspire to have. Stupid, plain stupid.    

September 8, 2008, 9:58 am CDT

This is smart and stupid......

The smart thing about this is that you do need to watch out what you put online and who you talk to online for the reason of people stalking you online, giving wrong info about themselves, causing sexual relations with minors, etc. Sometimes is leads to kidnaps.

The bad thing about this is if i put in an application at a job, what I do on my personal time is my life.  I'm not applying for a "better life" job. I'm applying for a job so that I can pay my rent and bills.  If I have extra money and I love to party then I should be able to party. I'm not going to say "I can't party because someone might take a picture with me in it and it will affect my job".  If that's the case, then instead of paying me $12/hr. to do my job, why don't you pay me $50/hr. to do my job and live my life for you. I am worth more than what I get paid so if what I do on my personal time affects my job I should get paid more. 

Come on, we know that the person who's doing the hiring is just as bad as the person they're trying to hire.  But wo don't go online and say "hmmmm.....this is where I wanted to apply but the guy that was hiring me was seen on the internet doing something very bad. I don't want to work there." A JOB IS A JOB!!!  If I act the same way at my job as I do off of my job or if what I did the night before affects my job then it's my responsibility or it's my fault if I get fired. If you wanna hire someone who does no wrong then the person do the hiring or anyone else for that matter shouldn't have a job.

September 8, 2008, 12:36 pm CDT

Mom who wouldn't let sons date Beauty Queen

OK...so a young woman had some photos taken flipping off the camera...being just funny in a moment with her friends and the Mom in the audience wouldn't let her sons date her???!!!

Get a grip on reality MOM.  She made a hand gesture and someone stole the pictures and posted them.  So you're waiting for your sons to bring home that girl who has never in her ENTIRE LIFE made a rude gesture, swore, took a picture that they later regretted or have never done anything wrong, impure or slightly embarrassing???

I'm guessing you have the apron strings tied pretty tightly around the necks of those little Mama's Boys.  I don't suppose you were ever in a situaton that you said or did anything you later regretted?

No...of course you didn't.

Maybe you'll get your wish and your sons will never meet any girl at all and you'll have them forever and ever and ever

September 8, 2008, 12:39 pm CDT

Ran Into Someone Impersonating a Doctor

I have been having problems with a 21 year old who has been posting lies so bizzare about me, that they almost don't matter because they would be so easily provable untrue.  They posted that I don't have a job (I don't I have two lol) and that I am still in highschool (I have a masters degree).  From what I can tell the only reason that they were posting these things about me was because they were mad because I told them global warming is real.  

But then things got even more bizzare.  Intimidated by the fact I had a Masters degree, they posted that they were a doctor (which I found quite odd given they were 21).  They then proceeded to try to offer health care advise and advise on the health care system based on this claim of being a doctor to others.  Eventually they backed down a little after enough questions were raised and claimed to be in medical school to be a doctor.  When I saw their facebook profile though it turns out they were a nursing student at a Community College (if even that is the truth).  Even more bizzare they had posted on their My Space page they thought about killing themselves often, had posted about placing their child in situations where substance abuse and abusers were involved, and had posted about being involved with me other than their husband. They actually talked about moving the child in with a lover who she referred to as a drunk.  What I found was so disturbing I am afraid this girl is going to hurt someone or herself even more than she already has?  I am sure what she has done has already had a negative impact on her husband and child.   I also feel like I should report her to some sort of medical authority or contact the community college to warn them about her pretending to be a doctor. 

Dr. Phil, if you are reading this you should seriously have this girl on your show if she will come on...she is a trip.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last