Message Boards

Topic : 09/19 School Controversies

Number of Replies: 472
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 12, 2008, 01:22:29 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil takes on controversial issues that could affect your child’s safety at school. First up, imagine your child’s first day at school and his or her teacher is carrying a concealed weapon. How would you feel about that? One small Texas school district will allow gun-toting teachers. Dr. Phil hears from moms on both sides of this debate, as well as the president of the Texas Federation of Teachers. Then, did you know that almost half of college-aged kids binge drink? That’s why 100 of the nation’s college presidents have signed the Amethyst Initiative, calling for a national discussion about rethinking the legal drinking age. Should kids be allowed to drink legally at 18? An Amethyst board member joins Dr. Phil, along with the national president for Mothers Against Drunk Driving, two university presidents and a family devastated by a drunk-driving tragedy. Where do you side on these debates? Take our poll! Plus, don’t miss a school bus brawl caught on tape. Who's at fault: the student or the bus driver? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 16, 2008, 8:54 am CDT

Teachers with Firearms

I don't know about Texas, but I know in my state, for one there are stringent rules for acquiring a handgun and also for acquiring a conceal and carry permit.  If a teacher has gone through these measures to protect my child from the harm of others, then I am in favor of it.  As a general rule, criminal minds won't go through with the rules to acquire a gun properly.   The last thing I could think of wanting to do is shooting a child, but if that child/or adult has placed themself in the situation where I could injure one person to protect the rest, then I would do it.  Personally, I think that all law abiding citizens should conceal and carry, then the real criminals would think twice about robbing, assaulting or shooting people.   Also, in my absence at schools, teachers are the authority figure for my children, I expect the schools to protect my children with whatever means necessary. 

September 16, 2008, 9:06 am CDT

School Bus Brawl

What is wrong with kids/families in America today?  Don't parents teach their kids to be respectful especially of adults?  My children know better than to do anything that will get attention from the bus driver that would turn the attention to us at home, because we have taught them to respect adults and people.  My kids are not to start trouble or pick on others, because there are consequences for their actions.  Now, they are not perfect, but there are no bus brawls. 

My children were in a deadly bus wreck almost 5 years ago.  As it turned out, they believe that the bus drivers attention was diverted by a student who was up standing by him to get kleenex, therefore he was not able to see the city truck in front of him that had black cold pack tar (it looked like the road) and he hit it.  2 people died.  I never blamed the bus driver, b/c he was doing the best he could by trying to attend to the needs of the students and watch the road at the same time.   By the way, that was the most traumatic day in my life. 

Parents are to raise their children to be good and decent people.  We need to take a good hard look at what we are teaching our children and stop blaming others for our shortcomings.  Now, this is not a generalization because I know there are kids with issues, but seriously, make the kids accountable for their actions, so that they know there are consequences.

September 17, 2008, 8:02 am CDT

drinking age

We must sit down and face the facts, we are not going to ever be able to stop the children from drinking.  We can only hope that we can teach them at home to be responsible and smart about it.  I personally can only hope that myself and my wife have brought our children up responsible enough to do the right thing.

September 17, 2008, 12:00 pm CDT

Teachers and Guns

I don't think teacher should bring guns to school.  Three things would occur: One...it would encourage students to bring guns to school.  Two...a student might bring a gun and wait outside for the teacher who threatened the student with the gun, and shoot and kill the teacher.  Three...the parents would file a lawsuit against the school because the teacher aimed a gun at the student.  I don't carry a gun because of the following reasons:  One...I have Asperger's Syndrome, which is a form of Autism.  You put a firearm in my paws, I'd be pointing it at people, young and old, and telling them to "GIT MOVIN'!"  Two...I don't believe in the 2nd Amendment in the Constitution, which is "The right to bear arms".  I feel that if a person is put on trial for a crime where a gun was used, his/her line of defense would be "I have the right to bear arms."  Three...they are noisy and dangerous.  It doesn't make any difference how skillful or careful someone is with a gun...it's still dangerous.

September 17, 2008, 1:39 pm CDT

Wilbarger County

Quote From: bee3fred

If this small town you are talking about is Boerne, TX....it is not so small and it totally melts into San Antonio, Texas. It's almost as one. There was a Columbine like threat the first day of school and the two boys were totally ready to take the brand new High School out. Another thing, the teachers are allowed to carry Hand guns, but the school board has chosen NOT to randomly drug test them. That is my main concern. Just who is carrying the Hand Gun and how stable are they. Where are the criminal Kids, going to find the hand guns? At home or lifting and teachers purse'?

I am a Texan that believes in self protection and safe gun laws, but to make it too easy for criminals to find them.....lets get real. A gun belongs to educated adults  in a safe place at home or on the hip (of most) law persons. Brenda (Fredericksburg, TX)

We are retired and live in our Motorcoach, we HQ in Wichita Falls Texas for health reasons. We are aware of Harold School System in Wilbarger County approving their teachers and staff to carry firearms. Knowing the school is on a highway and over 30 minutes away from law enforcement help, I completely agree with their decision. I served in the armed forces for many years and have visited many foreign countries. That said, I know the difference between a subject and a citizen, the citizen is allowed to protect them selves against evil in any form. I could give you several arguments that support their decision, but to those who think guns kill people, it will do no good. It is sad that we even have to think about arming our teachers, but the times we live in have forced this decision on us. Thanks, Rex

September 17, 2008, 5:07 pm CDT

teacher and weapons

I believe that teachers in certain schools should carry weapons. why? because students aren't innnocent, period! From my own experiences guns are brought to high schools everyday! Whether you are a student , parent or a teacher you cannot live in denial. It happens in America way too often and those teachers who are teaching our future millionaires should deserve to protect themselve....I'll continue this later....

September 18, 2008, 2:44 pm CDT

I dissagree

Quote From: gcalm1

As a person who has been touched by alcholism and drug addiction, Why is 21 or 18 a magical age.  why not 22 or 25.  I think it should be individualized.  Issue a card, after you pass a written and psychological test, which alows you to purchase alchohol for any age.  DMV could do it when you get your license  renewed after you turn 21.  the higher the age the better. If anyone else has another, or better solution I would love to hear it.

While I agree with the concept,  I disagree that the DMV could do it - Not  everyone has a drivers license. 
It should be done through the state government (or something like that - I know in Ontario, when decided to drink - i had to get an age of majority card - there was a whole kerfuffle with this - had to fill out a form and have a 'garantor' sign it saying that i've reached the age of majority (19 in Ontario)   I was well over 19 at the time.  But it was a requirement as I did not have a drivers licence (and still don't to this day)

Every province is different - In Nova Scotia - my friend got his age of majority card at the local liquor store - he had to show ID and sign an avadavit indicating he was 19.   (Nova Scotia is "New Scotland"  It's  full of drunks which is why it's easier to get a age of majority card LOL) (again this all happened many many years ago so both provinces I've sited may have changed their requriements.

September 18, 2008, 3:46 pm CDT

Disagree with both!

I think that the alcohol age should not be lowered there are so many irresponsible teens out there and i think if they did lower the drinking age alot more deaths will occur due to drunk drivers. About teachers caring hand guns that is outrageous. I mean come on how will parents feel safe knowing there child is in a classroom with a teacher who has a gun in there. We never know what might happen.

September 18, 2008, 4:11 pm CDT

Drinking age at 18 & guns.

Your deemed responsible enough to drive a car at 16, At 18 it is deemed your responsible enough to vote in an election to help decide your countries future, in a court of law your also deemed an adult, your able to decide if your willing to fight for your country which could end your young life. But your not deemed responsible enough to drink alcohol? Look at all age groups it's not just college students who binge drink or drink to excess on any given day of the week. Talking of responsibility and being old enough; look at how many dead beat dad’s there are in the world, not to mention drug addicts and alcoholics none of which are age discriminatory.

As an Australian now living in the USA for the last 6 months I have been shocked at how many news items are about people being shot. In Australia guns are banned and we hear about a shooting once in a blue moon. I’m not saying guns should be banned here in the USA (before everyone jumps on me) but I do think it should be regulated a little more on who can purchase a gun. If everyone had to have a gun license and it be mandatory to produce it when they purchase a gun. I think part of getting a gun license should be that people undergo a psychiatric assessment. If that happened then we might not even have schools contemplating having teachers carry guns.

September 18, 2008, 4:43 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Contro Doctor Phil/Robin School Versies. That is nothering new anyway. What right does teachers have to-

carry them anyway? What school did you go to anyway? See you on Friday September 19th, 2008.------------

Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last