Message Boards

Topic : 09/19 School Controversies

Number of Replies: 472
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 12, 2008, 01:22:29 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil takes on controversial issues that could affect your child’s safety at school. First up, imagine your child’s first day at school and his or her teacher is carrying a concealed weapon. How would you feel about that? One small Texas school district will allow gun-toting teachers. Dr. Phil hears from moms on both sides of this debate, as well as the president of the Texas Federation of Teachers. Then, did you know that almost half of college-aged kids binge drink? That’s why 100 of the nation’s college presidents have signed the Amethyst Initiative, calling for a national discussion about rethinking the legal drinking age. Should kids be allowed to drink legally at 18? An Amethyst board member joins Dr. Phil, along with the national president for Mothers Against Drunk Driving, two university presidents and a family devastated by a drunk-driving tragedy. Where do you side on these debates? Take our poll! Plus, don’t miss a school bus brawl caught on tape. Who's at fault: the student or the bus driver? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 18, 2008, 5:54 pm CDT

School Controversies

Hello Everyone

I think if teachers are allowed to have a gun in schools, then the students should be allowed to carry them too.

This whole idea of teachers having a gun in class is a good sign that problems in the school systems are not getting any better. Its only getting worse. We shouldnt give teachers any right to have a gun in school if the student cant.

September 18, 2008, 6:35 pm CDT

Drinking Age

As a mother of three teenagers, I would love it if my children didn't drink.  However, I know that they will probably experiment with it.  At the age of at the goverment feels that you are old enough to chose the next president or smoke if you want, why not drinking???  I feel that 18 years olds want to know what the mystery of the drinking is about....With all this said, I am military spouse and I feel that the drinking should be lowered to 18, because if you can make the ADULT decision to join the military and fight for this country and quite possibly die for it. 

September 18, 2008, 8:46 pm CDT

what age is appropriate, it depends on maturity

Quote From: anniegar

HI

I live in Australia and our drinking age is 18 and the amount of times I hear fromfriends and on the news about the teenage drinking, its a problem with the driving age and drinking ,theamount of times you hear about some one dieing or badly hurt in a car crash then you hear that drinking played a major part in it. These days it seems that you cant have fun without drinking  its a shame. please dont change the age as at 18 most teenagers cant handle it. it almost seems cool to get drunk. I hear all the time about how  they brag about  getting drunk that is.

i am australian :) aswell.

i had my first own drink given to me by my parent when i was a young teen, straight vodka can make kids go funny.
i have never been much of a drinker, i stop when i feel abit sick..but i do smoke, not cigerettes. and i enjoy occasional harsher things.
as i do earn much, i dont spend to much on my entertainment... playing computer costs more 4 me.
people can be alcholic and finds it a normal everyday life to have a beer by the steering wheel.

australia does have problems with young irrasponsible drivers, aswell as kids as young as 8-10 sniffing petrol.
we learn from our experiences, and what goes around comes around. my problem started because of family issues...it had nothing to do with legal ages.

i think drinking is fine if u do it in moderation.  have good influences around you.
 are responsible enough to know when enough is enough. and consider others.

humans are good at routine, like cows.
if we are happy with our work, then we don't need to change. but can always improve?

September 18, 2008, 8:58 pm CDT

stressed teacher with gun!

Quote From: bee3fred

If this small town you are talking about is Boerne, TX....it is not so small and it totally melts into San Antonio, Texas. It's almost as one. There was a Columbine like threat the first day of school and the two boys were totally ready to take the brand new High School out. Another thing, the teachers are allowed to carry Hand guns, but the school board has chosen NOT to randomly drug test them. That is my main concern. Just who is carrying the Hand Gun and how stable are they. Where are the criminal Kids, going to find the hand guns? At home or lifting and teachers purse'?

I am a Texan that believes in self protection and safe gun laws, but to make it too easy for criminals to find them.....lets get real. A gun belongs to educated adults  in a safe place at home or on the hip (of most) law persons. Brenda (Fredericksburg, TX)

teacher teaches student that to be safe you need gun.

student agrees and gun popularity increases.

i don't get it:|
who is more responsible...what is teacher is doing ...what is my child learning from this.
i have learnt nothing from this, we all know violence isn't the way

September 18, 2008, 9:08 pm CDT

Something to think about

I keep reading and hearing the argument that an 18 year olds mind lacks the maturity for he or she to consume alchohol responsibly.  Yet an 18 year old is in every other way considered an adult and held fully accountable to the laws of the land. 

At the age of 17 years of age a person may join the military to be sent in harms way.  They are indoctrinated into the military and trained to kill if and when ordered to with predudice. Do those who adhere to the notion that an 18 year old individual who can not be trusted to excersise good judgement with alchohol due to lack of mental development and maturity posseses the emotional developement and maturity to kill another human being?  These 18, 19 and 20 year olds are at this very moment serving in harms way to defend our freedoms.

I am a retired Marine living overseas.  I see young soildiers, sailors, airmen and Marines losing stripes, being fined and confined for underage drinking.  Some have just returned from Iraq or Afganistan and many are preparing to deploy to those regions. 

The argument may be valid that until one reaches the age of 21 they are not responsible to drink alchohol.  But if that is indeed the case I submit that the minimum age of enlistment should also be 21.  There are servicemen and women under the age of 21 who are held criminally accountable for their actions in combat zones. In many cases they make "bad" descisions after seeing their buddies brutally killed.  They are imersed in death and sudden violence and sheer terror.  Then, expected to act with sound judgment and reason when faced with life and death split second decissions.  These are the same 18, 19 and 20 year old men and women who are not considered mentally capable or mature enough to drink alcohol. 

So in the end does our society have the obligation to "do whats right" or is that logic only applied when it is convenient. 

September 18, 2008, 10:36 pm CDT

From the perspective of an nineteen year old

Hey, so I'm a nineteen year old student from Calgary Alberta Canada, i attend the Unviersity of Calgary so my opinion on this matter of the legal drinking age comes directly from those it effects. In Alberta Canada the legal drinking age is 18, we are one of only I think two provinces that has this drinking age, however the rest of the country has the drinking age of nineteen rather than the 21 it is in the US. I personally don't believe that lowering the drinking age to 18 in the states would be that harmful to people.

In my opinion, you talk about how university campus's would be full of binge drinking if it were legal at 18, but truly, anyone who believes that it already isn't like that is very very naive. Young people will drink whether it is legal or not. Teens start drinking as early as junior high and high school, that is a universal thing. People who believe that having a higher drinking age will prevent younger kids from getting alcohol are making a serious misjudgement, I remember being in the 9th grade and students would bring vodka into school inside waterbottles, and even inside those bubble containers that five year olds blow bubbles with. And grade 9 is thirteen and fourteen year olds. Young people have the access to alcohol no matter what the legal age is. Sure they cannot go out and buy it from stores, but they can get it from around the house, or from older siblings or friends.

One thing I've realized since I turned 18 is that since we'd all been partying all throughout high school when it wasn't legal to drink, lots of the novelty wore off. Sure it was great once you were able to do it at clubs and bars instead of house parties, but I find that a lot of my friends get a LOT more drunk at those house parties as opposed to where they are legally allowed to drink. Also, many of my friends stopped drinking as much once they could legally do it, the fun and the excitement of doing something against the rules was gone. I can honestly say that I've been completly wasted four times in my life and only one of those times was after I was legal (my 18th birthday). it wasn't as exciting to get drunk at a bar where the bartenders and bouncers watch to make sure no one is harmfully drunk, you'll be kicked out if you get too drunk becuase bars do not want the trouble. I was much more fun when you were sixteen at a friend's party who's parents had gone away for the weekend, and all drinking and having fun until we all passed out or fell asleep. And obviously that also wasn't the safest route, but we still did it and teens all over do it too, it doesn't matter how old you had to be to do it legally, high schools students are the same around the world. So regardless of how old the drinking age is, teens will still continue to drink far below what the law says they can.

On top of it all, I think it is hilarious that my little sister who jsut turned 18 in august was allowed to drink legally here before my cousin was legally allowed to drink in the States. (He turned 21 earlier in september). Yet, he's been allowed to vote, or smoke cigarettes, legally allowed to sign paperwork or contracts without the consent of his parents, or go to war, for at least three years. I think it is completley backwards to say that an 18 year old is not responsible enough to drink, but is responsible enough to decide who should lead the nation, or die for their country.

There is not much difference between the maturity of an eighteen year old and a twenty-one year old. It depends on the person, there are tons of 18 year olds who are more responsible and mature than 21 year olds. it's not really going to matter if the legal age is changed or not, if a person who is twenty one, eighteen or even fifteen wants to drink, they are going to do it regardless of whether the law says they can. Teens are resiliant, they'll always find a way

September 19, 2008, 1:40 am CDT

drinking age

okay so i could say i agree with both sides. But if you are allowed to join the military and vote at 18 then why can't you decided either or not you would like to drink. If you can fight for your country with the possible out come of dealth this why can't it be your choice to drink. Yes I did my 4 years in the military, and now i am serivcing as a military spouse and mother i know what it is like to sign my name on the line to join the military but not be able to drink. I know what it is like to go away to war, be there with other going away and when they come home. I know that people use alcohol wrong, but that is all ages. You have individuals who are 20-35 drinking and driving more than you do 18 year olds. Right now we are servicing in Germany and the drinking age is 18 (well if you can say it you can drink it) there are DUI, DWI and even dealths but that is every where. But if they really want it then they are going to get it. No matter what the age is, they will get there hands on the matter. It should be up to the parent if they kids can drink in their homes, i don't agree with alot of kids being at a party drinking without paretns around. I think that individuals grow differente, we all learn at different times, we all act different, so everyeone should not be judge on the same level. But again i go back to the first thing i said, if 18 year olds can sign their name on the line to servce in the military then why can't they drink. Think about it, that is just not fair or right. They are old enough to die for what they believe in but can't have a glass of wine with dinner or a few drinks before you go to war. So really sit down and think of what you are asking our youth to do or not do.

September 19, 2008, 1:47 am CDT

agree

Quote From: dialog60

I keep reading and hearing the argument that an 18 year olds mind lacks the maturity for he or she to consume alchohol responsibly.  Yet an 18 year old is in every other way considered an adult and held fully accountable to the laws of the land. 

At the age of 17 years of age a person may join the military to be sent in harms way.  They are indoctrinated into the military and trained to kill if and when ordered to with predudice. Do those who adhere to the notion that an 18 year old individual who can not be trusted to excersise good judgement with alchohol due to lack of mental development and maturity posseses the emotional developement and maturity to kill another human being?  These 18, 19 and 20 year olds are at this very moment serving in harms way to defend our freedoms.

I am a retired Marine living overseas.  I see young soildiers, sailors, airmen and Marines losing stripes, being fined and confined for underage drinking.  Some have just returned from Iraq or Afganistan and many are preparing to deploy to those regions. 

The argument may be valid that until one reaches the age of 21 they are not responsible to drink alchohol.  But if that is indeed the case I submit that the minimum age of enlistment should also be 21.  There are servicemen and women under the age of 21 who are held criminally accountable for their actions in combat zones. In many cases they make "bad" descisions after seeing their buddies brutally killed.  They are imersed in death and sudden violence and sheer terror.  Then, expected to act with sound judgment and reason when faced with life and death split second decissions.  These are the same 18, 19 and 20 year old men and women who are not considered mentally capable or mature enough to drink alcohol. 

So in the end does our society have the obligation to "do whats right" or is that logic only applied when it is convenient. 

i totally agree with this, i am sorry but i have been through the hospital were our hurt servicemen and women come after leaving the war zone and you know most of them are under 21. they are in harms way each and every day, they can get hurt, shot at, and even die but they can't drink when they return. STUPID. i am sorry i did my 4 years, my husband has done 7 years and still servicing PROUDLY.  So the questions needs to be raised if they can't make the decison to drink then how can the make the decison to join the military, go to war and proctect our country? Think about it? I know going to war and coming home can be the most stressful situation ever, and this is when most of the individual die in the military but if they really want the drink then they are going to get it. THAT IS ALL THAT CAN BE SAID

September 19, 2008, 4:17 am CDT

School Bus Driver Controversy

Dr. Phil;

I am a retired school bus driver (27 years) and unknown to most parents, it is our upmost responsibility to protect our passengers from harm.  When a student demands to get off the bus we are not at liberty to just open the doors of that school bus.  If that driver had allowed this student off the bus (as she demanded)and she were kidnapped or harmed in any way, the parent would have had every right to press criminal charges but instead the driver told the student to sit down.  We care about our kids and we do whatever it takes to protect them...even when it may mean not opening the door.  I would like to have seen the driver use less physical force; maybe notify her dispatcher and request the police come to the bus, or take the student back to school and let the parent transport her.  I doubt that mom would allow her daughter to stand up in the car and demand mom to stop the car...doubt that the daughter would attack her mom when she failed to stop!!!  Sometimes it's obvious that we can't satisfy a passengers demands....that's when we should let the parents transport them to and from school.

September 19, 2008, 6:10 am CDT

Drinking age

I DO NOT THINK THEY SHOULD LOWER THE DRINKING AGE. MY GOSH IT IS TO EASY NOW FOR THEM TO GET THERE HANDS ON IT . I DONT KNOW WHO CAME UP WITH IDEA. THEY MUST NOT HAVE CHILDREN OF THERE OWN. YOU DONT HAVE TO BE A EINSTEIN TO ANSWER THIS ONE .

GUNS AT SCHOOL NO WAY. THEY DO NEED TO GIVE TEACHERS AND THE LIKE SOMETHING FOR CONTROL OVER A BAD SITUATION. BUT NOT GUNS.... MAYBE STUN GUNS ??? SOMETHING THAT WOULD NOT KILL INNOCENT BY STANDERS. THANKS TRISH, OHIO

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last