Message Boards

Topic : 09/19 School Controversies

Number of Replies: 472
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 12, 2008, 01:22:29 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil takes on controversial issues that could affect your child’s safety at school. First up, imagine your child’s first day at school and his or her teacher is carrying a concealed weapon. How would you feel about that? One small Texas school district will allow gun-toting teachers. Dr. Phil hears from moms on both sides of this debate, as well as the president of the Texas Federation of Teachers. Then, did you know that almost half of college-aged kids binge drink? That’s why 100 of the nation’s college presidents have signed the Amethyst Initiative, calling for a national discussion about rethinking the legal drinking age. Should kids be allowed to drink legally at 18? An Amethyst board member joins Dr. Phil, along with the national president for Mothers Against Drunk Driving, two university presidents and a family devastated by a drunk-driving tragedy. Where do you side on these debates? Take our poll! Plus, don’t miss a school bus brawl caught on tape. Who's at fault: the student or the bus driver? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 19, 2008, 6:23 am CDT

Teachers with guns

I think that the teaches with guns is not acceptable at all..  The people that believe that this is ok do not have children or grandchildren in school..It sends a different message to the children that its ok to carry a gun..  What ever the teachers are thinking or the school board is thinking is crazy..What are they really thinking..Its annoying to me to even think of something happening to a child because a teacher had a gun. I am annoyed big time.

I am a grandmother and will protect my grands.

Rennette Arnold

September 19, 2008, 6:31 am CDT

Drinking age

Dr. Phil,
I am completely against lowering the drinking age. I think it should be raised to 23 or higher. Students are going to drink no matter what the age is. This should not be about how much responsibility they should get at a certain age. Voting and smoking cigarettes are not causing these students to lose control and put others lives in danger. Thanks Dr. Phil.

September 19, 2008, 6:35 am CDT

drinking age

I have 2 stepdaughters.  One 22 and one 19.  The 22 yr old drinks much less than the 19 yr old.  Underage kids will always find a way to get alchol.  Our 22 yr old was introduced to alchol in moderation in our home when she was 17.  The 19 yr old was not because she choose to stay with her mom and step dad.  They have the idea NO alchol......and if I tell you no then you won't drink.  That has been proven so wrong.  I think if taught moderation rather than fear of prosecution it will work.

September 19, 2008, 6:40 am CDT

Lowering the drinking age

As far as the drinking age is concerned as a Mom no I do not feel comfortable with my 18 year old being able to go buy alcohol....But I also do not feel comfortable with a m-16 being put into my 18 year old child's hands and told to defend our country.  So I feel if they are old enough to fight for our freedom they should be able to have a beer at the end of a long day.

September 19, 2008, 6:56 am CDT

Drinking Age Should Be 18

I believe the drinking age should be reduced to 18 yrs old.  Our 18 yr olds are allowed to serve our country at war -- apparently America thinks they are mature enough to protect all of us and our rights as Americans seeing death (not to mention being the cause) -- how can we be so two-faced?  If 18 yrs olds can be allowed to serve in the military, they should be allowed to enjoy adult benefits as well.  YES, I do have children and as far as I'm concerned if you are a good parent you should be comfortable enough with the drinking age at 18 because you've taught your children rights and wrongs correctly.  Granted, even good children grow up to make terrible mistakes that sometimes even cost them their lives and God forbid it happens to me or anyone I know, but we must let go at some point and at 18 yrs of age, they are responsible for so much already.  They are required to begin careers or prepare for careers with continued education...again, so we think they're mature enough to be able to decide what they want to do with the rest of their lives....but can't decide whether drinking is ok?  I feel I am preparing my child to be a responsible, decent adult who will understand the consequences of his/her actions...as well as simply not want to behave poorly simply because its wrong.  Laws don't stop anything.  We have them because we can punish people who break them, but 18 yrs olds don't think about the laws for a blip of a second when they want to drink.  My final thought is that there are soooo many people who should have never had children to begin with....that never loved their children enough to provide guidance....they will have children that end up being the binge drinkers and pass it along to their children.  Then there are parents who are wonderful parents and provide proper guidance, love, etc. and have children who either choose not to drink or at least drink responsibly....its all about the responsiblities.  If someone is immature and irresponsible at 18, I really don't think they'll be all set by 21....they'll be the same worthless adult then.

September 19, 2008, 6:59 am CDT

Drinking Age

At the age 17-18 you are tried as an adult if you do wrong..even the death penalty.. you can go and do as you want..buy cigarettes and even DIE fighting for your country but yet they cant lower the drinking age to 18. why? i think that is the stupidest thing ever. I am a military wife and I know that on bases they have been thinking about lowering it. And I personally think that it would be only right to lower it for these men and women exspecially because they go and fight for us to keep our freedom. I think it should be monitored but I personally feel with military or just anyone 18 n up it isnt really about the maturity level I feel ifyou take away that boundary line of 21 then it wont give teens the curiousity to do things unhealthy. My husband turned 21 this past march and he has said that when he first bought his own alcohol he was ready for them to check his id and they didnt and it was like a disappointment.. i guess where im coming from on that is SO many teens look at this 21 age as a responsibility that they long to have and why not make it 18 thats when all of the other responsibilites happen.. whats so different about this one. There are always gonna be those people that are not gonna be as mature as others, but you cant go your entire life worried about that few because then you'll end up making the wrong choice.

September 19, 2008, 7:12 am CDT

School Bus Incident

Again....here's a mother taking up for her daughter who was clearly out of control on the bus.  "My daughter is not a bad child".  How many times have we heard that when a criminal is arrested...more than I can count! You could clearly see that the girl was cocky even as she sat on Dr. Phil's stage.  She's headed for trouble and part of the fault will lie with her mother who is going to back her no matter what she does. 

I pulled into a gas station one day and heard this loud noise and a school bus driver had to pull the bus over and refuse to go any farther because the students were so loud and out of control.  I asked the driver if she wanted me to call the police or the school and heard a smart mouth on the bus say "who does she think she is"? I'm sure the parents of those students would blame the driver and say "my child wouldn't act that way".  Sad but true.

Dr. Phil....you asked the girl if she thought she had a mouth on her and she smiled and said "yes...somewhat" or something to that effect.  I'm glad she got kicked out of that school and I hope her lawsuit goes nowhere.  She is in the wrong and her mother sues....way to go mom. 

September 19, 2008, 7:18 am CDT

09/19 School Controversies

Quote From: rae_raye

Hi everyone,

I've just read about the Amethyst Initiative and how college presidents would like there to be a discussion concerning the age limit on drinking alcohol. 

The legal age in the UK is 18 and this means that our college students are legal to drink when they go off to university.  Does this stop or reduce binge drinking? I don't believe so in fact, when I attended university (I went late at 21) there were so many students binge drinking there would often be altercations between the bar staff and the kids!

Here in the UK many people believed that bringing in the "24hr drinking" law would reduce binge drinking and it hasn't.  Many people (myself included) believe the legal age should be raised to 21 just like it is currently in the US.

A lot of my friends wasted their student loans on going out and partying and a few even had to drop out of college all together.  I believe the legal age to drink should be set at 21 as the majority of 18 year olds do not know the full extent of the damage that can be caused by binge drinking.

I think statistics from other countries should be given great consideration.  Why make the same mistakes.  One of the guests mentioned that the drinking age is the only realm in which an individual is not treated as an adult in our culture.  This was followed by Dr. Phil's comment on the research that indicates that the brain is not fully matured at 18, but far more mature by age 21.  Perhaps we should  investigate the idea of increasing the age of consent for some of these other choices, such as marriage, voting, or joining the military.  In NC it has been  under discussion that perhaps the age of being allowed to quit school should be raised to 18 verses its current age of 16.  We should not reduce the age of becoming legally eligible to consume alcohol.  We should evaluate other areas in which age of consent is only 18.

September 19, 2008, 7:29 am CDT

drinking age

I have 2 teenagers & i think the drinking age should be lowered to 18 - for beer & wine. We send our kids off to college with no parental supervision & they can get all the alcohol they want. Why not have them try the beer & wine while still under the supervision of parents? My daughter chose not to drink in high school but it is rampant & easily accessible. There is more pressure on the boys to drink & I can tell my son will find saying no to alcohol difficult. We've given him the tools, warned him of the dangers, but the peer pressure & the young male minds are easily swayed. I'd prefer to let him have access to beer & wine BEFORE his college years so at least he has a sense of what to expect & the consequences of drinking too much.

September 19, 2008, 7:34 am CDT

Let teacher carry guns

I have actually laughed out loud at some of  the ludicrous reasons for not allowing teachers to carry guns. The winner has got to be that "they are loud and dangerous." If just one professor had had a gun at Virginia Tech., that maniac would not have killed as many students. He knew going in that there would be no one to stop him.

My husband and I graduated from school in '67 and '68 respectively. Same state, different towns. My husband and his highschool friends liked to hunt. They would take their rifles and shotguns to school in the trunks of their cars because they would be going to hunt after school on some days and it was easier than having to go back home to get them. The principal knew and would talk to them about it. Nobody ever shot up the school. The problem is not the guns. It's the students and the things from tv and movies and music and video games to which they are constantly esposed. These things show that violence is the only way to solve a problem. There was none of this when my husband and I were in school.

Teachers now have to deal with students who are raised by parents who do not spank and use that ridiculous "time out". Kids have no idea of paying the consequences for their actions. At home all they have to do is pitch a fit or cause a disturbance to get their way. I've seen it often in stores. Classrooms have gang members in them. Some of these kids are bigger than the female and male teachers. At one time teachers could spank in the classrooms. There was never the discipline problems that they face every day now. But could you see them spanking some big gang banger?

They need to be able to defend themselves and the other students. The idea that they will go postal on the students because they can now bring a gun to school is laughable. They don't have to wait on a right-to-carry to do that. And they would not have to use a gun to hurt their students if they wanted to.

Regardless of what some people believe we do have the right to bear arms. In our state we have the right to defend our home and family from someone who is intent is to hurt us. We can shoot the SOB and call the meat wagon and tell them to please come get this sorry dead thing out of our house.

Because of the way things are in our society now, teachers should have this same right. If it were passed in our state and I had the money, I would pay for every teacher who wanted one to get their concealed weapons permit and a gun to carry.

Children face more real danger riding to school everyday with their parents than from a teacher at school with a gun.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last