Message Boards

Topic : 10/02 Stressed Out to the Max

Number of Replies: 116
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 26, 2008, 02:41:46 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard3

Did you know stress can take years off your life and even kill you? If you feel overwhelmed, overscheduled or overextended, you don't want to miss this show! Jamie says when she lost her job and her house went into foreclosure, she gained 30 pounds, had constant stomach aches and couldn't stop crying. Her problems seemed so insurmountable that she even started smoking for the first time in her life! Jamie's 17–year-old daughter, Breanna, blames herself for her mom's financial woes and says she doesn't even feel comfortable in her own home. Can this mother-daughter bond be restored? Dr. Frank Lawlis, author of the new book, The Stress Answer, shares tools that can help Jamie get back on track. Then, Susan says she’s quick to lose her temper and sometimes takes her anger out on her three children. She says she got so fed up with her family that she packed her bags and stayed at a hotel for several days! Dr. Lawlis pays this overworked mom a house call. Find out the stress-relieving techniques he taught Susan that you can do at home. And, Iron Chef Cat Cora whips up delicious recipes that can help you de-stress. Plus, tune in for an unbelievable performance to lift your spirits!  Share your views with others.  

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 5, 2008, 3:56 pm CDT

Sorry Jewels

Quote From: jewelsf

I wish I could have seen this entire show, but I only watched half. I too am dealing with a great deal of stress. I'm not going to bother going into it all, I don't have all day. But the biggest cause of my stress is my health. I was disabled about 8 years ago and am now on SSD. I have recently found out that I also have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and I've also been diagnosed with Lupus, but now the doc's are on the fence on that one, and are also doing nothing about it. But that doesn't even have anything to do with my disability. I have had 2 failed back surgeries and 1 reconstructive surgery. I live in severe chronic pain, have to rely on Oxycontin just to survive, and this goes on 24/7. This has completely changed my life, and that of my husband's. Actually I'm in too much pain to continue this, I will have to finish later. I have to do everything in spurts! I do want to say that when the doc talked about how it actually changes the function of the brain, I recognized myself in that description. My memory? Gone! My decision making capabilities? Gone! No matter what the actual cause for our individual stress may be, it still effects us all in the same way. I can really empathize with all of you in the same boat. I understand! My best to all.

Jewels

Dr. Phil should have had you on the show instead of that lady who was making 150,000 in blood money in the mortgage market a year and spent it all and now wants people like me to bail her out.   

I hope that your health gets better.   The same to everyone else here who never made much money to begin with and then got sick.   Instead of bailing out the corrupt banking institutions the government should  have used the 700 trillion to set up a universal health care system.   

October 5, 2008, 4:04 pm CDT

Good Questions

Quote From: imcara

Why do you have 6 kids?
I'll put myself out there with you, because you and me both know there are going to be some real defensive people on this one.   

As far as I am concerned if you want to have lots of kids, you need to make sure that you live the type of lifestyle where you are financially stable and can afford that many children.   It is completely unfair to have lots of children and then ask tax payers like me to pay for them.  

I also even more so hate how people throw out things like "Well, I can't pay my mortgage, I had to use credit cards, etc because I have five, six, etc kids".   To blame it on your kids is so lame, your kids didn't choose to be born, they didn't choose to buy the house that you could not afford, and they hopefully didn't order up the credit card for you with the high interest rate, so stop blaming your children and take responsibility for yourself.   

October 6, 2008, 7:23 am CDT

Think before you speak`

Quote From: trigreen

Quite honestly it is a bit too much more me.  If I heard correct the woman on the show was making 150,000 a year.   Better yet she made this money by being involved in the corrupt mortgage industry.   Yet someone how despite making in 1 year, what would take me over 5 years to make (this is including currently working two jobs) she now expects my tax payer dollars to bail her out.  As for the food banks in my area I am starting to get really fed up with them because they only want donations of things that I can't even always afford to buy for myself in order to make sure I keep enough saving to keep up my own financial stability.   But back to the lady on the show when I see someone who made lots of money and made it in ways that were bad and took down the economy and prevent me from being a legitimate homeowner(because housing prices soared), I feel that if 150,000 a year wasn't enough to put money in the bank for savings, then why should I feel sorry for you.  In fact, I feel like you got what you deserved.  

As for people who are seriously disabled I do believe the government should provide basic needs for them such as shelter, food, and medical services/medicine, but the government should provide the service and not just give them money.  

As for Lucy I don't want to judge, but there are actually jobs out there that you can do even if injured.   Answering Services and places that do surveys by the telephone are almost always looking for people. In fact, some of these places will even let you work mainly from home.   Additionally, I understand that you are having neck and back pain but there are things that you can do to often help improve these conditions.  You said that you have been gaining weight and this will only make these conditions worse.   Take control of your nutrition and if you don't already start exercising(get your physicians approval first), especially stretching and especially stretching the piriformis (you should be able to google search this).   You may also want to try yoga, tai chi, or chi gong (not as familar w/this one but heard its good).   Of course I will add in the mandatory check with your physician before you start any of this.  

Were in the show did she ask you or anyone else to feel sorry for her?????? As for as the money she made GREAT FOR HER!!!!!  She could of been home collecting WELFARE!! HUH!   Oh by the way get your facts right. WALL STREET is to blame for the corrupt mortgage industry.  She asking for help on stress NOT to bail her out!!!!! 

October 6, 2008, 4:16 pm CDT

I did!

Quote From: juliebgg

Hi jewels!!! Just read your posts.  I am sorry to hear of the stress you are going through. E-mail me if you want a listening ear!

Juliebgg

And I also believe I talked you ear/eyes off! LOL!

October 6, 2008, 5:17 pm CDT

Thank you!

Quote From: trigreen

Dr. Phil should have had you on the show instead of that lady who was making 150,000 in blood money in the mortgage market a year and spent it all and now wants people like me to bail her out.   

I hope that your health gets better.   The same to everyone else here who never made much money to begin with and then got sick.   Instead of bailing out the corrupt banking institutions the government should  have used the 700 trillion to set up a universal health care system.   

Thank you for your kind words. It always means so very much to me when someone extends a kindness to me. Since I have been disabled, my so called friends have scattered in the wind. And I'm talking about while I was in the hospital for my very first surgery! I guess they figured that I wouldn't be much fun anymore. I wasn't even given a chance! But even if I am limited in what I can do, a true friend stays by your side no matter what. I also had my best friend in the world, we had been friends for over 20 years. It took awhile for me to figure this out but, she had been in love with my brother that entire time and that was why she was my friend. After figuring this out, and after a few back stabbings, I tossed her to the wind! Luckily I've met two very wonderful women in the last year who have given me a new lease on life. And they don't seem to care that I have health problems, that says a lot about their character.

I have to agree with you as to the part of the real estate agents and mortgage lenders when it comes down to the fall of the economy. It wasn't just Wall Street. Many of the Agents knew that the people buying homes did not qualify for them, that they would never be able to make the payments as soon as the adjustable rate went up. They also knowingly falsified income and debt on the mortgage applications. This is no secret. Too many people bought too many homes that they could never afford in the first place and down payments weren't even required.

The only are that I disagreed with you on is in another post, where you mention that someone with a back injury could still hold down a job. But I feel that you do understand there is a difference between a severe case and someone who "can" still work. I cannot. But I do know of many who still happen to hold down full time jobs. They should consider themselves lucky if they can.

October 6, 2008, 5:30 pm CDT

Not Necessarily True!

Quote From: getrealtime

If you can work part time you can work full time, go get a job and earn a living and stop asking the state to take care of you, if you haven't notice we can't take care of you we don't want to take care of you we want you to take care of yourself as many do.

get a full time job and start paying for your own way and see if you feel better, you are worring that if the state turns you down you are that much farther in the hole, you are the only one that can change your worries.

Do you know what this woman's current health issues are? Have you seen her MRI and CAT scans? If not, then you cannot pass judgment. I myself had to go on SSD, and it's not an as road. First of all having to realize that you can no longer work is hard to adjust to, and makes you feel like S!it! Also, when you are applying for SSD they have very specific rules that you must abide by. I wasn't even able to work part time. If I hadn't had my husbands income, what would I have done? I would have been homeless, no food, no medical, nothing. I really don't know how other people handle waiting for SSD in the meantime, because it can take a VERY long time to get. Just be very, very, happy that you haven't found yourself in this position, and I hope you and others never do. Maybe it's time that we as a people learned a bit more compassion for others.

October 6, 2008, 5:38 pm CDT

Wall Street.................

Quote From: mrsomofbmx

Were in the show did she ask you or anyone else to feel sorry for her?????? As for as the money she made GREAT FOR HER!!!!!  She could of been home collecting WELFARE!! HUH!   Oh by the way get your facts right. WALL STREET is to blame for the corrupt mortgage industry.  She asking for help on stress NOT to bail her out!!!!! 

Wall street isn't the only one to blame for this mess. Real Estate gents, mortgage lenders, and the banks also have a huge hand in this. This is no secret. Loans were given to people with full knowledge that their income did not qualify them for the loan, no down payments were called for, mortgage applications were falsified to "help" these people to meet the loan qualifications, and not just by the purchaser, but by the lender also. Personally I don't know why anyone in the real estate industry didn't see this coming a long time ago. I just scratch my head over this one.

October 7, 2008, 2:21 pm CDT

I can't seem to feel bad for her......

I am being honest. I haven't read all the posts here yet but I wanted to put it out there that I can't seem to drudge up any  sympathy for a mortgage broker who lost her money.  Maybe knowing the situation she was putting all of her risky clients in when she was handing out loans she knew were above the heads of the average person, maybe she would have seen her situation without the green eyes of greed.

October 7, 2008, 4:46 pm CDT

Shes not asking for you to feel ba for her

Quote From: lalachey

I am being honest. I haven't read all the posts here yet but I wanted to put it out there that I can't seem to drudge up any  sympathy for a mortgage broker who lost her money.  Maybe knowing the situation she was putting all of her risky clients in when she was handing out loans she knew were above the heads of the average person, maybe she would have seen her situation without the green eyes of greed.
Why do people have to judge someone its not your job to do that. There is a higher up that carries the responsiability. She went on the show for stress and how to deal with it . No matter what she has lost everything and no matter what the circumstance are is no one should have to go through it. Prayers are always a good solution. GREED is not the cause!!!! Assuming that ,is wrong. She didnt make the guidelines for the loans, that was the banks,Wall Street and so on..... There are a lot of post on here that state there are a lot of people worse off then her and that they should have been on the show instead of her. That maybe true but she took the chance and was selected. What someones stress level is not for anyone to judge. She needs help with coping so GOD be with her and her family.  THE END  

October 8, 2008, 12:11 pm CDT

10/02 Stressed Out to the Max

Quote From: michellymae

When I went to college I was able to get an exception for the financial aide...you just have to explain your situation to the financial aide advisor (my mom wasn't around and my dad didn't know I existed--my grammy raised me--I wasn't a ward of the state--I was considered independent even though I was only 18 or 19)  Check with the school and the financial aide office to see if they would consider letting you file for financial aide as an independent--they may just have to sign off on the financial aide each time until you hit a certain age.  Good luck

Thank you for that! I think I am going to try that; however, since I posted this I have visited my campus and I am eligible for many scholarships that I wasn't aware of! So am I SO excited! :)

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last