Message Boards

Topic : 10/09 Financial 911!

Number of Replies: 121
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 03, 2008, 02:14:25 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Has the current economic crisis left you frightened and confused? Do you know where your money is and if it is safe? With home foreclosures on the rise, stocks plummeting and job loss numbers growing, millions of Americans have questions about their money and the future of our country. Get the answers you need from Dr. Phil and his panel of experts. What do America’s money problems mean for you and your family? Are your retirement savings secure, or should you be doing something different? What about your credit card debt and your mortgage? Has the financial bailout left you worried about your personal finances? Get the advice you need to know before it’s too late! Plus, has the financial crisis affected you? Talk about it here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 3, 2008, 3:53 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Do Fear Phil What You. That is a deep subject that I cannot answer. My fear is about terriost in Iraq,-

Bagdad, Iraq. That I fear the most. See you on Tuesday October 07th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaan-

deren.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 5, 2008, 2:43 pm CDT

Well I'm Angry

And no I am not confused because I have seen all of this coming for years, but almost no one would listen to me 3 years ago.   Banks giving people credit they could not afford to pay back and people taking credit they could not afford, people making selfish and foolish purchases, an economy that mimicked that of the 1920s prior to the Great Depression, a government that gave out welfare to the selfish and foolish rather than providing services for those that actually need them and a government that puts CEOs, the rich getting richer and the poor/middle class getting poorer-but no one seemed to care as long as they coud put the 200 dollar pair of shoes on a credit card and a government that placed corporations before the people it is supposed to represent. 

I have always been a financially responsible person.   I don't even have/use credit cards.  I rent, because I was smart enough to realize that I could not on my salary afford to buy anything in the area that I live in.  I work 2 jobs.   I use public transporation some of the time.   Up to this year the most I have ever made in a year is 31,000 and probably the most I will make if I am lucky this year is about 35,000 which is hard to predict given a lot of my money comes from commissions and hourly pay.    Yet somehow I manage to pay my rent, bills, student loans etc, on time every month without assistance from my parents, the government, etc.  

But now the government wants to threaten my fiancial stability by taxing me into financial oblivion to pay for selfish and foolish suburbanites who make what I make in 5 years in a single year.    They bought houses they coud not afford, SUVs they could not afford, everything their little spoiled children wanted they could not afford, etc.   Now the government wants to steal my tax payer dollars to make me pay for these irresponsible and selfish people.   Instead the government should let them figure things out for themselves.  They can sell their houses and go rent an apartment, they can sell their SUVs and get passenger cars or use public transporation, etc.  If they have messed up so bad that they can't afford to live in the United States then they can go live in another country where the cost of living is cheaper.  When they choose the behavior, they choose the consequence.  

And please don't even get me started on the corporate bailout.   I'll summarzie it by saying I agree with everything Ralph Nader has said and then some.  

October 6, 2008, 11:14 am CDT

10/09 Financial 911!

Quote From: trigreen

And no I am not confused because I have seen all of this coming for years, but almost no one would listen to me 3 years ago.   Banks giving people credit they could not afford to pay back and people taking credit they could not afford, people making selfish and foolish purchases, an economy that mimicked that of the 1920s prior to the Great Depression, a government that gave out welfare to the selfish and foolish rather than providing services for those that actually need them and a government that puts CEOs, the rich getting richer and the poor/middle class getting poorer-but no one seemed to care as long as they coud put the 200 dollar pair of shoes on a credit card and a government that placed corporations before the people it is supposed to represent. 

I have always been a financially responsible person.   I don't even have/use credit cards.  I rent, because I was smart enough to realize that I could not on my salary afford to buy anything in the area that I live in.  I work 2 jobs.   I use public transporation some of the time.   Up to this year the most I have ever made in a year is 31,000 and probably the most I will make if I am lucky this year is about 35,000 which is hard to predict given a lot of my money comes from commissions and hourly pay.    Yet somehow I manage to pay my rent, bills, student loans etc, on time every month without assistance from my parents, the government, etc.  

But now the government wants to threaten my fiancial stability by taxing me into financial oblivion to pay for selfish and foolish suburbanites who make what I make in 5 years in a single year.    They bought houses they coud not afford, SUVs they could not afford, everything their little spoiled children wanted they could not afford, etc.   Now the government wants to steal my tax payer dollars to make me pay for these irresponsible and selfish people.   Instead the government should let them figure things out for themselves.  They can sell their houses and go rent an apartment, they can sell their SUVs and get passenger cars or use public transporation, etc.  If they have messed up so bad that they can't afford to live in the United States then they can go live in another country where the cost of living is cheaper.  When they choose the behavior, they choose the consequence.  

And please don't even get me started on the corporate bailout.   I'll summarzie it by saying I agree with everything Ralph Nader has said and then some.  

You're right. It's time folks learned to 'wipe their own butts" instead of expecting you, me, and every other taxpayer to do it. 30 years ago, my husband sold his GMC Jimmy to get out of debt after his wife divorced him. And, because he couldn't afford another one until last year, he waited until then. We were actually looking for a jeep some old man wanted to sell. But the directions he gave us were so lousy, we gave up trying to find him and, on the way home, passed a used car dealership. And, I followed him home in the 2001 Jimmy we bought from them. Repossessed from someone who "bit off more than they could chew".

October 6, 2008, 8:05 pm CDT

Concerns about social security

My concern of this financial fiasco is about its impact on social security:  particularly on those like me who are on Disability Income and Supplemental Security Income (SSI/SSDI), Medicare and Medicaid.  Are we going to have problems with medical care under these programs?  What impact will this have on Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA)?

October 6, 2008, 10:50 pm CDT

Make the banks and credit institutions pay for not helping consumers

If everyone would stop paying their bills it would cause the financial institutions to readjust the way they do business. Everyone is in a world of hurt. Watch your credit card agreements in a few months everyones credit scores will be in the toilet. Foreclosures will not be helped by the bail out. Consumers need to grab the banks by their horns and make them make it fair for all by stopping making their payments. When the banks do not get their money from all of us it wakes them up. Read the fine print. Even if you are a honest bill paying person you will get punished financially. The sign of the times is consumer beware!!!! 

October 7, 2008, 6:11 am CDT

Invested money

II set here watching my money that I worked so hard for just losing it every day ......I did not have a lot when I retired.......I put it in what I thought was a save place....Edward R. Jones but have lost $5000.00 of it already.....My husband and I live on social sercurity disability and my social sercurity....I have no insurance for myself but my husband has it for him........I thought my money would draw something so I chose not to get into what I had until I was older ......shoot for 70 because it was not very much.......Is there anything I can do different to protect what I have at this time?........I feel I have lost this money and I am left with nothing for retirement which I am doing now........

October 7, 2008, 6:37 am CDT

WOW! Dr. Phil is on the inside track of being in the KNOW!!!

WOW! Dr. Phil is on the inside track of being in the KNOW!!! Since $700 billion bailout with $100 billion in earmarks just passed last week in Senate and House even if backwards, and passed in Senate first. You can find out who voted for like Senator McCain and Senator Obama and those who didn't like Representative Ron Paul etc. by Googling.

PERFECT TIMING DOC!!!

DON'T  QUIT  FIVE  MINUTES  BEFORE  THE  MIRACLE  HAPPENS

DR. PHIL WEBSITE  
by:  SEA
Inspired by us all

Dr. Phil Website Moderators, Technical Staff, you, me and we
O ffering a beautiful online international fellowship  
C reating harmony

Recycle Momma of Dallas
(adopter of causes, i.e., recycling)
MOTTO:
Improve Earth & Children's Fate
Conserve, Recycle & Donate
You, Me, WE recycling

P.S. I thought of a new Mrs. Beasley's cupcake "Key Lime Getting Real Going Green" cupcakes with a portion of sales going to DR. PHIL FOUNDATION NEW (GETTING REAL GOING GREEN THRIFT STORES). State-of-the-art thrift stores with a website and both on-site and online sales. Training youth and or rehabbing persons in all facets on-site and online such as recognizing valuable historical items, antiques, vintage items and other more modern valuable items, too, i.e., jewelry, Prada etc. What do you think? THINK GREEN... THINK RECYCLING. Sincerely, SEA aka yesyoucan

October 7, 2008, 7:08 am CDT

frightened

I am a little concerned about the economic situation, but I believe the news media has made the situation worse.

I remember when I was very small that my mother worked for a bank and her boss told all the employees that they must be careful with credit cards when they were being introduced to America.  He believed that credit cards would be the ruination of many people.  I can remember my mother reminding me when I got older not to charge more than I could pay off in 2 months.  I wish everyone could have heard my mother' advice.  I must admit that I did charge more than I could pay off in a month or two, but mostly I paid them off in six months.

I don't believe that banks are totally responsible for all of this mess.  People need to realize how much they can borrow.  People need to be held responsible for themselves and not blame others for their own mistakes.

Cockie

October 7, 2008, 7:12 am CDT

WAKE UP CALL FOR US!!!

I always here my aunt, uncle & mom always talking about saving for a rainy day, but I never really listened. I listened to the point of trying to save some money, but never enough to sustain myself on anything like this. I think what we need is to teach everyone how to use money wisely. Those who can, we need to stop depending on our government to support us and learn to support ourselves that way when things like these financial crisis happen we're not in so much trouble that we can't even keep our head above waters. I have changed my spending habits a lot this past year. I don't have a lot of money but I know that I have extra money in case I need it.

I learned to live without credit cards. That was probably one of the most hardest thing for me to do, but I did it. I'm now working on getting out of debt. I really believe that the only real major debts that we should have are house payments (unless you're rich and you can buy your house right there), car payments (that you can afford without struggling financially), and medical bills depending on your medical condition.

I know that no matter what you do the government will find some way of screwing up the system for the middle-class and poor. If we take care of ourselves then at least the wound won't hurt as much.  If you really think about it, no one in the government even cares about anyone. Only during election do they PRETEND to care about THE PEOPLE. Other than that they don't really care about us. They make a lot of money and they are secure in they're retirement that they make. If the government really cared about THE PEOPLE then none of this would've happened. The government is not hurting by this financial setback. only THE PEOPLE are.

That's just how I feel about it.  That's just my opinion.

October 7, 2008, 9:14 am CDT

Haven't Seen the data from the second bill yet...

Quote From: yesyoucan

WOW! Dr. Phil is on the inside track of being in the KNOW!!! Since $700 billion bailout with $100 billion in earmarks just passed last week in Senate and House even if backwards, and passed in Senate first. You can find out who voted for like Senator McCain and Senator Obama and those who didn't like Representative Ron Paul etc. by Googling.

PERFECT TIMING DOC!!!

DON'T  QUIT  FIVE  MINUTES  BEFORE  THE  MIRACLE  HAPPENS

DR. PHIL WEBSITE  
by:  SEA
Inspired by us all

Dr. Phil Website Moderators, Technical Staff, you, me and we
O ffering a beautiful online international fellowship  
C reating harmony

Recycle Momma of Dallas
(adopter of causes, i.e., recycling)
MOTTO:
Improve Earth & Children's Fate
Conserve, Recycle & Donate
You, Me, WE recycling

P.S. I thought of a new Mrs. Beasley's cupcake "Key Lime Getting Real Going Green" cupcakes with a portion of sales going to DR. PHIL FOUNDATION NEW (GETTING REAL GOING GREEN THRIFT STORES). State-of-the-art thrift stores with a website and both on-site and online sales. Training youth and or rehabbing persons in all facets on-site and online such as recognizing valuable historical items, antiques, vintage items and other more modern valuable items, too, i.e., jewelry, Prada etc. What do you think? THINK GREEN... THINK RECYCLING. Sincerely, SEA aka yesyoucan
But I did see the data from the first round.   And neither McCain nor Obama even bothered to vote on the bill.  That is so lame.  If they aren't going to stand up and vote for us, then why should they expect us to vote for them?  
Nader has always been an outspoken advocate against the bailout bill and that is where my vote will be going.  
And if the United States has 700 billion to waste on corporate welfare, could they actually put it to use and save many Americans from going under simply for medical reasons by creating a Universal Health Care System.  

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last