Message Boards

Topic : 10/17 Hoarding Nightmare: The Aftermath

Number of Replies: 67
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 10, 2008, 02:56:01 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Hoarding is a highly emotional issue that may seem horrifying to some, but for others, it’s a complicated and difficult struggle. When Nancy first appeared on the show, her home was so cluttered that her kids couldn’t get into their bedrooms, there were multiple refrigerators jammed with spoiled food, and she even had a second house that was uninhabitable because it was so chock full of junk. After canceling on 1-800-GOT-JUNK three times, Nancy finally allowed the cleaning crew to remove some of the mess. Find out why the experience was so traumatic for her. Then, Dr. Frank Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil Advisory Board, and Dr. Steven Kanter, an expert on hoarding-related issues, have been working closely with Nancy. Has she made progress in overcoming her fears? Plus, Nancy says her boyfriend, Bob, has been drinking heavily and creating havoc in the household. You won't believe what Nancy and her friend, Randi, captured on video. And, don’t miss Dr. Phil’s surprise for Nancy!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 17, 2008, 8:34 am CDT

10/17 Hoarding Nightmare: The Aftermath

Quote From: yvonneej

My employer, who owns a bar/restaurant is a hoarder.  It is pathetic.  It has cost her good employees, who have left because of the crazy world it has created.  I realize this person has a serious mental/emotional problem.  She also has some serious health problems, which adds to the insanity.  There is food and junk everywhere, not to mention the filth.  I worry that she will make people sick at the restaurant.  I don't know what to do anymore.  My co-workers said "write to Dr. Phil....he knows the horrors of this situation".  What can we do?  She is a kind and generous person, but this problem will eventually kill her.  I know this will not end unless there is a big "wake up" call.  Help! 

Why not bring your situation to Chef Gordon of "Hell's Kitchen" and "Kitchen Nightmares" fame? I watched "Kitchen Nightmares" last night. Chef Gordon went to a seafood restaurant in Islip, NY. Business had fallen off because the food was so lousy, they hadn't gotten a repeat customer in over two years.The restaurant, especially the kitchen, was beyond filthy. The chef was even serving customers rotten, moldy pesto. And, recooked food. Chef Gordon shut the restaurant down on the spot, making the owners send all the customers home. The restaurant remained closed for five days for cleaning and remodeling. The chef, and his assistant, were fired, a new chef hired, and the restaurant thrived.

October 17, 2008, 8:43 am CDT

Quote From: grandmashari

call your humane society instead.  They are trained to see problems around animals and having that dirty of a house means the animals are being neglected.  They will deal with it.
That would've been my advice, if you hadn't beaten me to it. I'm wondering if the covered windows are to keep the neighbors from smelling the animals. Or, to keep them from seeing how she's been neglecting them. In my county, the sheriff has arrested a number of folks for animal cruelty. Usually having too many dogs and not adequately feeding, watering, and sheltering them.

October 17, 2008, 9:08 am CDT

Nancy canceled on the cleaning crew three times? I'll bet she only agreed to let them come because they were about to cancel on her. BTW, the biggest piece of junk they should've hauled off was her drunko boyfriend. Anyone who'd turn down the golden opportunity Dr's Phil and Lawliss offered him isn't worth picking up in the road.

October 17, 2008, 11:25 am CDT

hoarding

Hey Nancy keep it up you will get there and by the way get rid of your boyfriend he is gona hold u back and you deserve better then some drunk  and your kids deserve better and you all will be happier in the long run

October 17, 2008, 12:24 pm CDT

Is it just me??

First of all I want to give Nancy some credit for making some head way with her hoarding issues. However, It seems to me that she is not in touch with what she has and is putting her children through.Even if she is not hitting her children she is absolutely abusing them.If she was truly thinking about them and not just herself she would place the children with family or friends until she can offer them a more stable home, mentally and psychically.Of course, the children are going to say what they said on the show.Regardless, of the abuse that she is in flicking on them children will all ways stick up and protect there parents.And haven't the kids suffered enough? she has the nerve to be upset that the kids just wanted to be kids for the summer instead of cleaning up HER mess.Dr. Phil should have given the kids a trip to Disneyland, not a day at a spa for mom.What offended me most was how Nancy and Randi were smiling and making rude comments about Bob.While I understand that if Bob won't seek help for his addiction they should separate for the good of the children.You would think that she would have a little compassion for him.After all,she was fired because of her pill addiction and is an over the top hoarder.Also it is quite obvious that Randi has a food addiction.Maybe they shouldn't be so quick to put someone down and have a "I'm better than you" attitude.You could tell that her son didn't want to engage in her and Randi's beat down in the  garage.Do you really think that  talking to a person when there drunk about their condition will do any good.?It made me sick that there was cheering when the bottle of wine was taken from him.After seeing that it makes me wonder what other verbally and emotional abuse goes on in front of or too the children when the is no camera.It is clear that Bob is in pain.And once last thing...how come CPS has not removed the children from the house?It seems to me to be an unsanitary and a fire hazard.As well as, Nancy admitting that she has drove drunk with her children in the car.Maybe Nancy should wipe that grin off her face and think about  what she has done to her children and how it will affect them for the rest of their lives.

October 17, 2008, 12:31 pm CDT

caylee story

Thank you for updating on this story.  They should have nipped this thing in the butt from the day of the 911 call and charged her with muder that day.  We would probably know what happed by now. 

October 17, 2008, 12:55 pm CDT

nightmare indeed

That poor possum was like "get me outta here"...  Living like that has to be so clostephobic even if she doesn't think so. 

October 17, 2008, 12:57 pm CDT

Help.............my loved one is OCD/schizoaffective!!!

HOW DO YOU HANDLE SOMEONE WHO IS STILL GRIEVING THE DEATH OF AN INFANT

31 YEARS AGO.   ALSO GRIEVING THE POTENTIAL OF A SON 38 YEARS WHO IS

AUTISTIC.  THIS CAUSES SUCH STRESS TO THE EXTREME.

I AM TALKING ABOUT MY HUSBAND WHO IS 64 YEARS OLD AND IS ONLY COMFORTABLE

WHEN THINGS ARE "PILED UP"......................LIKE ALL THE THINGS MAKE HIM FEEL SECURE.

IS THERE A LOT OF NEUROSIS GOING ON HERE?  ANYONE READING THIS HAVE THE SAME

PROBLEM???

I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THIS 41 YEARS AND I AM TIRED...................

October 17, 2008, 1:05 pm CDT

Good Point!

Quote From: barbieann

First of all I want to give Nancy some credit for making some head way with her hoarding issues. However, It seems to me that she is not in touch with what she has and is putting her children through.Even if she is not hitting her children she is absolutely abusing them.If she was truly thinking about them and not just herself she would place the children with family or friends until she can offer them a more stable home, mentally and psychically.Of course, the children are going to say what they said on the show.Regardless, of the abuse that she is in flicking on them children will all ways stick up and protect there parents.And haven't the kids suffered enough? she has the nerve to be upset that the kids just wanted to be kids for the summer instead of cleaning up HER mess.Dr. Phil should have given the kids a trip to Disneyland, not a day at a spa for mom.What offended me most was how Nancy and Randi were smiling and making rude comments about Bob.While I understand that if Bob won't seek help for his addiction they should separate for the good of the children.You would think that she would have a little compassion for him.After all,she was fired because of her pill addiction and is an over the top hoarder.Also it is quite obvious that Randi has a food addiction.Maybe they shouldn't be so quick to put someone down and have a "I'm better than you" attitude.You could tell that her son didn't want to engage in her and Randi's beat down in the  garage.Do you really think that  talking to a person when there drunk about their condition will do any good.?It made me sick that there was cheering when the bottle of wine was taken from him.After seeing that it makes me wonder what other verbally and emotional abuse goes on in front of or too the children when the is no camera.It is clear that Bob is in pain.And once last thing...how come CPS has not removed the children from the house?It seems to me to be an unsanitary and a fire hazard.As well as, Nancy admitting that she has drove drunk with her children in the car.Maybe Nancy should wipe that grin off her face and think about  what she has done to her children and how it will affect them for the rest of their lives.

They are being total hypocrits.  Drinking is a sickness, a disease.  So is hording but Alchohol is different because you can die from alchoholism and he doesn't look good.  Nancy comes across mean spirted and resentfull but she hasn' t got much done for herself.  She has a long way to go before she has anything to brag about.  And she still isn't doing anything to organize or clean on her own, she's waiting till she can get the movers back.  It's discusting.  Then to subject kids to all this ...  it's not funny

October 17, 2008, 1:31 pm CDT

Relative with 4 FULL HOUSES!!

I have an elderly relative that has been hoarding for about 30years...or so the family thinks.  She has houses in 2 states, fills one, and then moves to another.  Her mother died about the time we noticed this was happening and she had lived with her mother.  We think that her mother kept her in check as long as she was alive.  The problem now is ill health, a competent mind..to the outside world...and a need to hold "things" close.  When asked by my sister to share photos of our deceased father, she replied..."no, those are mine".  From comments like these, we feel there is a problem concerning her fear that things will be taken from her. 

The pictures I have seen of overflowing freezers, and personally seeing the flies and bugs in her refrigerator in her current home, as well as picking up a dead mouse in the living room and seeing mouse (rat??) droppings all over her house, listening to her tell me that her overflowing car (no room except driver's seat) is an attempt to foil anyone who might be interested in stealing her car....all these things break my heart.  She is our last living relative of that generation.  I have tried to help, but have been rebuffed.

She has so much stuff in all these houses that if it was all sold in yard sales, she could live comfortably for the rest of her life!!  The 4 houses that are still standing, one was left to fall down and has been involved in an arson fire, are all in disrepair.  She borrows from one line of credit to pay the mortgage payment on another of the houses.

She doesn't think she has a problem and, in my opinion, will die before she lets any of the stuff go...including what is obviously just trash.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make her last days more comfortable and how to salvage my sanity, as I probably will be the one to have to sort out the mess after she dies?  Is there a legal recourse when she appears to be mentally competent until you see her homes?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last