Message Boards

Topic : 05/27 What Do You Fear?

Number of Replies: 421
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 17, 2008, 02:50:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/21/2008) Whether it’s the fear of spiders or the fear of dying, fears and phobias can steal your peace of mind and even dominate your life. Meet Kathleen, a mother of three, who says her entire world is built around more than 30 fears that include driving, flying, being alone and taking medication. Her life has gotten so out of control that her two teenagers dropped out of school to take care of her, and her 9-year-old is absent so often, she may follow in their footsteps. Kathleen, who wants to stop being a prisoner to her anxieties, faces many of her fears just to get to Los Angeles to see Dr. Phil. What’s at the root of her paralyzing phobias, and can she take back her life for the sake of her family? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 28, 2009, 7:02 am CDT

One More thing...

I also wanted to add that I can get thru my day without medication, but it feels like I am dying at point the anxiety is SOOOO strong, and sometimes there are no triggers!

For me medication helps and calming thoughts help.I hope that for the individuals out there who are also having issues will find a solution that works.

May 28, 2009, 7:15 am CDT

I can relate

I have been agoraphobic for about 12 years.  I have always had anxiety but it manifested into agoraphobia. I was completely housebound for 9 months, but after alot of hard work I am now down to just a few phobias (staying home alone & driving). I also had an extensive list of phobias and I just took the ones that were important to me and worked my way down the list. I will never go on a plane or take a cruise but I can live with that. I can understand that alot of people are just saying take the medication you will feel better, but when you have a fear of medication that is not helpful.  I have also impacted my childrens live by making my teenagers stay home with me.  They are both still in high school and I try really hard to never have them miss school, but it has happened. I have lost my parents because the yjust did not want to deal with me anymore and that has been heartbreaking, but I look at it as something that is me and I can not control it. I am writing this to let Kathleen know that she is not alone and that I really hope that she can have some happiness in her life.

May 28, 2009, 7:40 am CDT

re

ican understand her i fear bees i hat them  i ran away from them

May 28, 2009, 8:32 am CDT

Dr Claire

Quote From: klandsb

I have suffered from  anxiety disorder for as long as I can remember...   However,  I have a great doctor who understands that this is a true illness and not all in your head..... I have been on 50mg of Zoloft for a total of about 10ys.   After 5yrs on Zoloft  and feeling great  I decided that I wanted to see if I was ok to be off it.   I did really good  for about 3 yrs and then I  learned I was about to loose my job or have to move to another state.   My panic attacks came back with more strengh  then ever.   I truly thought  with each one I was going to die...........My life was a living hell !!!!!!!!!! 

I had previously been through the Lucinda Bassett program.  Although I found it helpful she really doesnt believe in taking medicine..... Sometimes ya just need it because something just isnt right with the serotone levels....

The best self help  CD  I found was :  PASS THROUGH PANIC  by   DR.  CLAIRE WEEKES... I use to listen to it  my car on my way to work everyday just to get to work..... If  it could help just one person on here then I feel like I did my part ...   I still have  a few pings & pangs of anxiety every once in a while but who doesnt.  My life is soooo much better with the combination of medicine and self help CD's....

Until u have been in the throngs of a major panic attack u will never understand  it !!!!!!!!

I'm wondering where you got the CD of Dr Claire Weekes? I was agoraphobic for quite some time in the late 70s, and the only thing that helped me were two books I found by this woman which I understand are out of print now. Though I haven't been agoraphobic or had debillitating panic attacks, I do still have to cope with anxiety and would love to have this CD. When I was going through it, nobody was talking about anxiety disorder or panic attacks. I went to several psychiatrists who only medicated me (I am not opposed to people taking meds when needed...sometimes they are DEFINITELY needed, and anyone who tells you different has never suffered from this). Not one of them ever mentioned anxiety disorder or panic attacks...I always felt like I must be hopeless since the doctors didn't come up with a name for my problems and seemed unable to help me. Dr Claire Weekes saved my life, and I will always be grateful to her!

May 28, 2009, 9:35 am CDT

Get Tested

Wow! I've totally been where you are and you need to be tested for Lyme Disease by a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor. There are MANY people who were told they had 'anxiety' when they actually had Lyme disease. Anywhere there is deer, there is Lyme.

A psychiatrist in PA started testing her patients who came with severe anxiety for Lyme Disease. 90% came back POSITIVE for Lyme. NINETY PERCENT! They all thought their symptoms were all in their heads when their blood tests came back fine for everything. Labeled hypochondriacs, ect.

I had anxiety, depression, fatigue, muscle pains at times, sleep paralysis episodes, ect for over 12 years before an MD told me I had Lyme.

Don't go to a regular MD, they will give you the Elisa test for Lyme which is not a good test, misses over 40% of Lyme disease cases. Find an LLMD (Lyme Literate Medical Doctor).

It concerned me when you said you had pain sometimes. Lyme also screws with your heart, makes it go fast sometimes, skipped beats, ect. It messes up your thyroid (my body temp was always 96-97) and your adrenals/central nervous system. For years I told myself it was 'just anxiety'. Nothing ever helped, except when my appendix burst and I was put on IV antibiotics back in 2000. For the first time I started feeling good, was very happy, no anxiety, ect.

Course it didn't last, because I wasn't on them very long.

If you need more info, do a search for Lyme disease forums. I would hate for you to be labeled as a psych case, when if you are having other physical symptoms, it could be much more!

May 28, 2009, 10:04 am CDT

Help for OCD

I have obsessi ve compulsive disorder and have had it almost all of my life.  For the past 20 years I have been on medication but to little effect.  I'm wondering if there are new medications out there that people with OCD have had success.  I am under a doctor's care for prescriptions but am in an area where is not a lot knowledge about OCD and meds.

May 28, 2009, 11:18 am CDT

To Kathleen... I know how you feel. I also heard what docor Phil said about we get something out of it. I understand how you feel. There is no reward at the end of it all. It's completly exausting and so not rewarding in any way. I live with this con

May 28, 2009, 4:06 pm CDT

Dr. Claire Weekes CD

Quote From: leogorky

I'm wondering where you got the CD of Dr Claire Weekes? I was agoraphobic for quite some time in the late 70s, and the only thing that helped me were two books I found by this woman which I understand are out of print now. Though I haven't been agoraphobic or had debillitating panic attacks, I do still have to cope with anxiety and would love to have this CD. When I was going through it, nobody was talking about anxiety disorder or panic attacks. I went to several psychiatrists who only medicated me (I am not opposed to people taking meds when needed...sometimes they are DEFINITELY needed, and anyone who tells you different has never suffered from this). Not one of them ever mentioned anxiety disorder or panic attacks...I always felt like I must be hopeless since the doctors didn't come up with a name for my problems and seemed unable to help me. Dr Claire Weekes saved my life, and I will always be grateful to her!

Hello to you....   I bought mine at  Barnes & Noble bookstore.... I am sure if u look online they probally have it  still  available.....  It is really awesome and worth every penny....  She has a british accent and for some reason I found her to be very calming  ..... good luck..... 

May 28, 2009, 9:23 pm CDT

This is Kathleen from the show

I just want to thank all of the people who are posting things for me to read. I am very sorry that some of you suffer with this also. It is a terrible thing you wish on no one. I have been tr4ying to get help for 20 years. Some of the people are writing mean things and that is OK. By no means am I lying, looking for attention or anything like that. I thought after 20 years maybe this would help me. I was embarassed to share my story with everyone but, I thought I might get better by doing so. My heart goes out to everyone who feels like me or anything even close. It is so hard to live like this. The sho is short and didnt show all the things that I do do. I coach my childrens sport teams, help out at school, have their friends always over and be in their lives all the time. I am sad that I have been this disabled and unable to do regular things in their lives. I love them more than anything. I am trying.

May 29, 2009, 9:55 am CDT

Confused

Kathleen your posts are very confusing.  I realize that editing can be very tricky, but it sounds like your experience and the show are two completely different stories.  Did your oldest child drop out of school to be with you or not?  Does your youngest child miss numerous days of school to be with you or not?  How do you get  to your coaching events?  Does your house really look like it did on the show?  Can you not afford a housecleaning service now and then?  Does your family really live in that squalor?  Can you really not find a way to get to your therapists office, just one hour away?  If so, why not?  I'm sure someone from a church or community action association would provide you with a ride. 

I don't mean to be offensive, I am just trying to understand. 

First | Prev | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | Next | Last