Message Boards

Topic : 05/27 What Do You Fear?

Number of Replies: 421
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 17, 2008, 02:50:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/21/2008) Whether it’s the fear of spiders or the fear of dying, fears and phobias can steal your peace of mind and even dominate your life. Meet Kathleen, a mother of three, who says her entire world is built around more than 30 fears that include driving, flying, being alone and taking medication. Her life has gotten so out of control that her two teenagers dropped out of school to take care of her, and her 9-year-old is absent so often, she may follow in their footsteps. Kathleen, who wants to stop being a prisoner to her anxieties, faces many of her fears just to get to Los Angeles to see Dr. Phil. What’s at the root of her paralyzing phobias, and can she take back her life for the sake of her family? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 29, 2009, 11:07 am CDT

just started

I was watching this show and thinking that was me on TV! I am just at the beginning stages of this kind of stuff. I don't know why. I'm scared to fly, scared to drive across a bridge, scared to die, scared living next to a small airport, scared of my kids being near water, scared that my husband is gonna die and the list goes on.....

I cried last year going to Disney World because I couldnt believe I had just put my kids on an airplane. I felt like a terrible mother. Then the night before we came home I cried because I knew we had to get back on the plane. It ruined my trip. I thought my kids were gonna get hurt on the rides, or drown at the water parks! I was a nervous wreck! 

May 29, 2009, 11:30 am CDT

Kathleen

Hello - I watched this show recently and today was watching an old airing of Judge Judy from 2006.  I noticed this same Kathleen was on Judge Judy.  I was curious because she mentioned on the show she had been trapped with these fears for years.  On Judge Judy she seemed very well.  There was absolutely no hint of her being nervous at all.  I'm almost positive it was the same woman.  They looked very similar to one another and both are named Kathleen.  Did her fears surmount greatly within the last couple of years? 

May 29, 2009, 1:49 pm CDT

2012 theory

Hello my name is lorena, All this theory of 2012 supposibly the end of the worl, it really freaks me out, For that reason I am in a really bad depression because I said to my self oh my god, what about my family, my kids, and I went carazy, I'm under medicarion, but for this stupid reason I'm losing my mind, I dont think it's right. I have all my family worried because of my situation, even my husband thinks I'm going crazy, he sais and my family don't belive in all that it's only publicity, the world never ends , it end when you die, so I really appreciate if anybody honestly could help me with some advice, because I really need it, I have a family I want to be there for them, and all this is making me crazy, please help me?

May 29, 2009, 2:44 pm CDT

seatbelt?

noticed that Kathleen wasnot wearing a seat belt inthe scene in the van.  Oh well, 

Phibias are learned behaviors and can be unlearned wih the right therapist.  Please buckle up and get some therapy.  If you are sill sick 20 yrs lster y ou must not have the right therapist.  K

May 29, 2009, 6:22 pm CDT

Lazy Baby

Quote From: kathleenbowers

I just want to thank all of the people who are posting things for me to read. I am very sorry that some of you suffer with this also. It is a terrible thing you wish on no one. I have been tr4ying to get help for 20 years. Some of the people are writing mean things and that is OK. By no means am I lying, looking for attention or anything like that. I thought after 20 years maybe this would help me. I was embarassed to share my story with everyone but, I thought I might get better by doing so. My heart goes out to everyone who feels like me or anything even close. It is so hard to live like this. The sho is short and didnt show all the things that I do do. I coach my childrens sport teams, help out at school, have their friends always over and be in their lives all the time. I am sad that I have been this disabled and unable to do regular things in their lives. I love them more than anything. I am trying.
I was feeling some pity for you until you put your feet on the chair. Then I knew you are just a big "lazy baby". Grow up!!!!!

May 29, 2009, 6:34 pm CDT

Teen Father

Quote From: gonzaligoo52

This women seems to be afraid of everything except tattoo parlors, nail shops, hairdressers, and clothes stores!!!  She also doesn't look like she's starving. Does she never go out to eat? Oh I'll bet she does. How dare her keep her daughter home like that!!! Her husband is a fox and that's just another tactic to keep him close.

He will end up leaving her. She is way over the top!!!  "GET SOME SERIOUS HELP LADY!!!!"

She is so pitifull, so self centered, and selfish.

I don't buy it for a minute.

Is the young man on the show the Father of the children? I thought he was Kathleens son. He is so much younger than her. Perhaps this age disparity is part of her problem.

May 29, 2009, 6:34 pm CDT

my fears

I'm a 40 year old  married mother of 2 teens. I have a very good life, healthy, happy, certainly not rich but getting by.  I was always a happy go lucky person, up until my early 30's.  All of a sudden I start worrying about things that I couldn't control.  Mainly getting sick or my kids getting sick. Anxiety issues run in my family, so this was not a shock to me cause all the women in my family are worriers, I never thought that would be me.  I take an anti-depressent daily and an anti-anxiety pill to help with the bad times and to help me sleep.  I have a huge fear of throwing up.  Sometimes I think i'm sick to my stomach and i'm not sure if i am or it's in my head.  I usually have some peppermint or ginger to soothe it or I pop a pill.  If i hear that someone is sick, a horrible feeling comes over me and i will do anything to avoid them. I have been known to get that feeling even from talking to someone on the phone.  I start thinking that i'm getting sick if my legs start hurting. I also get diarrhea from being nervous, and getting diarrhea makes me nervous so it's a vicous circle.  I'm not sure why i have these fears, i try to tell myself okay if it happens so what it will pass, but i really just don't want to feel that at all. I'd like a guarantee, but i know that's not gonna happen.  I hate not being able to control things. Of course i worry about dying and if something is wrong on my body i of course imagine the worst.. I have other fears, spiders(bugs), flying(i've never flown), heights.....probably more. I don't want me kids to know about this, because i don't want them to get like me. My husband tries to help, he's quite rational, so he doesn't understand why i just can't stop. I also feel guilty for feeling this way, becuz i know there are people out there with real legitimate diseases.  I just want to be normal and not obsess over every normal worry. I have rituals that i do before i leave the house or go to bed. I have superstitions that if i do or say things a certain way that i won't get sick.  The medicine takes the edge off i guess.  I'd just like to be like some people that just are relaxed and not worry about things they can't control.  I'm not a germ freak, but I do wash my hands every time i come home from being out and do have second thoughts about touching somethings when i'm out in public.  But it is mainly being around sick people that bothers me, even if they aren't sick but are with someone that is.  The main illness that scares me is the stomach flu, i know in my rational mind that it's something that happens and passes. I've had it and survived it, but i just don't want it again. Even as i'm typing this, i am starting to feel sick, just from talking about it.  It really is embarrassing and i'd just like to be normal.

May 29, 2009, 6:54 pm CDT

I Fear Death

I'm a full time student and so stressed! When this show aired on Wednesday, my mother called me and said this woman thinks the same way that you do. It was so scary. I thought I was the only one that had these thoughts. I am so afraid every second of the day that I am going to die. I am only 29 years old. My doctors tell me I'm in great health. They have prescribed medication for my anxiety, but I am so afraid to take it. I have the hardest time trying to concentrate on the lecture while I'm in class cause my mind is having these crazy thoughts and I keep checking on what time it is so I can escape. My mind is tired! I pray everyday to God for help. I want to stop thinking these thoughts and live my life in happiness! I need help!!!!! I'm even crying while writing this, because my life has no fun anymore. I've read many books on this trying to find help, but nothing is working. Like I said before, my mind is always working, thinking, researching, worring just plain tired!!!!!!!!!!

May 31, 2009, 9:20 am CDT

kathleen

You are a sweet,caring woman.You must not listen to people who have not been in your shoes.People are so quick to judge. You don't have to address those kind of people.The people who have experienced anxiety and know what it does fully appreciate your braveness and transparency.It says so much about your charachter that you were willing to fly to the show ,appear on national TV, all to try and get some help. People who don;t even have anxiety issues would be too petrified to appear on the show as you did. And we know ,you did this for yourself and your kids.

I am so proud of you!My heart was breaking  when I saw your torment and that is what it is!Ignore the posts from those who have never been there. It is not those you want to listen to. Frankly , they sound mean spirited and lack compassion.And they question your mothering?I am saddened for the children with those type of mothers!Imagine when their children need some emotional support?

My hope for you is that you are getting help.How are you doing these days?

I will pray for you and I want you to know I think you did such a self sacrifing thing!

If you ever want to talk,I would be happy to communicate with you via email.

I myself have GAD.I fight it and do not let it steal my life.I am doing good but its a daily battle..I can tell you more privately if u like.

I totally understood your "rooms" and that was when I found myself shouting at the tv.No one undestands that it has nothing to do with being dirty!I  I got upset because I felt they shamed u for it.Please don;t be hard on yourself.Again, unless they are in your head, they have no capacity to understand.They made the comment that you are able to clean the one room downstairs therfore you have then capacity to clean all of upstairs.Cleaning one room is easy. Its seeing it in its entiritety!This is a huge area of difficulty for myself as I live in a house with 3 floors and I get totally overwhelmed just by looking at it. No one understands this ,and thinks" just clean it!'.Its the anxiety of the mess thats so paralizing.I struggle with that daily!And I am my biggest critic!It has nothing to do with being lazy!!

There is hope ,I wish you could see how beautiful a person you really are!

xo

Momo

May 31, 2009, 11:57 pm CDT

Question about Show

During this show Dr. Phil made the statement that the girl (with the phobias) was "getting a payoff" with her behavior.  Although after a commercial he didnt state what the pay was.  Anyone speculate what the payoff is? 

First | Prev | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | Next | Last