Message Boards

Topic : 05/27 What Do You Fear?

Number of Replies: 421
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 17, 2008, 02:50:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/21/2008) Whether it’s the fear of spiders or the fear of dying, fears and phobias can steal your peace of mind and even dominate your life. Meet Kathleen, a mother of three, who says her entire world is built around more than 30 fears that include driving, flying, being alone and taking medication. Her life has gotten so out of control that her two teenagers dropped out of school to take care of her, and her 9-year-old is absent so often, she may follow in their footsteps. Kathleen, who wants to stop being a prisoner to her anxieties, faces many of her fears just to get to Los Angeles to see Dr. Phil. What’s at the root of her paralyzing phobias, and can she take back her life for the sake of her family? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 21, 2008, 2:39 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: shan34

She is completely self centered! We're all afraid of things like that but come on really!!! She's just all about ME ME ME! It's pathetic! Feel sorry for her kids!
Please, don't feel sorry for us. We are really fine. She is not self-centered. And you are definitely not afraid of things the way she is. Don't try to relate to her when you don't even understand her problem. Read my other post I just posted, too.

October 21, 2008, 2:40 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: emmagrl2000

I too have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks....I have learned to control  them most of the time but I still have alot of anxiety driving in traffic...........I am very proud of Kathleene for taking this huge step to recovery and I believe Kathleene that you can soon lead a better life........God Bless You
That is great. I agree I am proud of her for starting to take control. I had bad anxiety but it has become so much better since I decided to not let it control me.

October 21, 2008, 2:41 pm CDT

self involved

This lady, Kathleen, needs a reality check, big time!! She is so self-involved...her selfishness is costing her children and husband the life they deserve.  Why does she not get off her duff and get some counselling? 
I am a senior, a nine year breast cancer survivor, and currently undergoing chemotherapy for bowel cancer.  I try to stay positive, both for my own sanity, and to spare my adult children, my siblings and lots of dear friends from having to cope with my disease too.  God forbid that Kathleen gets a REAL disease!  Of course, she would probably make life miserable for everyone around her, and then give up living all together!

When I see someone like today's guest, I seethe...sorry for venting but hypochondriacs like this need a good kick in the butt;, as far as I am concerned. 

Those are my two cents worth!

October 21, 2008, 2:42 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: tamann

I don't think you have the awareness of how this has impacted you. You have been put in an adult position when you are not an adult. I don't know how long ago she put you in the position of being her caretaker and how long you have been out of school. There is a part of your life that you have robbed of. I am sure that living in this enviroment for so long you probably have become used to it and think this is normal. I am sad that you feel that you need to defend yourself on this message board. Good luck!
I am proud of the girls it seems they see there mom and choose not to let fear control them. They seem like very smart girls.

October 21, 2008, 2:43 pm CDT

I understand...

When you have these fears, they are so real. Every symptom is so real, along with all of the fears. Once it starts, it's the snowball effect and it just keeps building and getting bigger and bigger. Your mind is just in one mode,...It's hard to get off of the wheel...(I talk with much experience)

I felt so very sad for her and her family. I understand how she feels, and what she fears. It is so real....

I hope that she can get some help, coping skills , support and maybe some medications until she can get thru this.

There is hope..  and living ,not just exsisting.... She is going to be a different person when she's feeling better honest....

L

October 21, 2008, 2:44 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: tamann

I don't think you have the awareness of how this has impacted you. You have been put in an adult position when you are not an adult. I don't know how long ago she put you in the position of being her caretaker and how long you have been out of school. There is a part of your life that you have robbed of. I am sure that living in this enviroment for so long you probably have become used to it and think this is normal. I am sad that you feel that you need to defend yourself on this message board. Good luck!

I am completely aware of how it's impacted me.

And it's not even her fault. She didn't put me in the position I'm in. I chose to do what I did. She would try to make me go to school all the time. I would say I was sick. She didn't know. I've been out of school for two years, but like I said, I'm taking college classes now, I actually have to leave in about two minutes to go to class. Sure, I may have been "robbed" of a few things, but if anything, her anxiety had prepared me for when I really do have to be an adult. I actually realize that it's not normal, and yes it does feel normal, but it's the way it is in our house and I've taken it as a learning experience and not a burden. I'm not defending myself, I'm defending my mother. None of this is her fault and I can't believe how many of you are critisizing her

October 21, 2008, 2:46 pm CDT

The System Failed the Children

As an educator, I am shocked that the school system didn't pick up on the major issues in the family--what happened to No Child Left Behind? These children have certainly been left behind. You cannot educate them if they're not in school.

How could the father, who seems to be coping,  permit the absences? How was the family not taken to court for truancy? The school shares some of the responsibility. The school system should have identified the frequent absences and turned the issue over to the courts or to family protective services. The parents AND the children would have been identified as at risk, and services could have been provided.

October 21, 2008, 2:47 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: carebear1155

I am a 30 yr old mom of three and i have been suffering from pretty much the same things,it all started 4 and a half years ago after the birth of my son,and im still trying to get by.I take meds and talk to someone but im not getting what i want out of it,which is the feeling of being normal,idk,i just keep thinking i have a brain tumor,cancer,that im dieing,it sounds sooo stupid i no but i cant stop having these thoughts,i can hardly bring my daughter to school in the mornings cuz i get a attack like dizzy,lightheaded,tunnel vision and feel like im loosing my mind.I have been to the er like a total of 8 times in 4 years and i go to my doc constantly,but i am told the same thing every time....its panic and axiety,and some ocd...i have never had a ct scan or anything i dont understand how they no this,and my doc wont give one cuz she said i dont have any signs of anything being wrong with my brain....well thanks for listening...and to ppl who say she is faking no it is sooo real
I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. The advise that I took was just do it. If you fear it then do it. I started to talk to a counselor who was very helpful. She said crazy people have no idea that they are crazy or going crazy. Now people with anxiety and panic always think they are going crazy  when it is just not true. Just think how long you have suffered and have you ever actually lost it. No You may feel like but you never did. I wish you the best!!!

October 21, 2008, 2:54 pm CDT

From Kathleen to Kathleen - Please Read Kathleen!

I would like to tell Kathleen that I had many of the same fears and behaviors she does, even down to checking the obituaries! I tolerated this for about 3-4 years when I just couldn't take anymore. I went for my yearly physical and when the doctor asked me if I had any questions, I just broke down and started crying. I told him what was going on and he prescribed Zoloft. Well of course with all of my fears, it was difficult to convince myself to take the medicine (what might happen to me if I take the medicine). Well I did start taking it and have been on it ever since. I am the type of person who doesn't even like to take ibuprofren! I tried to wean myself off of the Zoloft but the symptons returned. So I figured, if it's working, I might as well stick with it. I hope you consider trying this, it literally changed my life.! Good luck to you.

October 21, 2008, 2:55 pm CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: hiiambrooke

If you go to http://drphil.com/shows/show/1134/

it has a little of what happened in each segment

Brooke - I just wanted to commend you for sticking by your mother and being someone she can rely on. Her current phobias are obviously creating struggles for everyone in the home. I pray that she meets the right people, and is able to work through some of the fears she currently has. Your commitment to her insipired me on the show today. My father is currently struggling with bi-polar and sometimes understanding the though process of our parents can be incredibly trying. HOWEVER, I as a 23 year old female, and want nothing more than you to finish high school! I understand that your mother currently needs you, but please promise that you will finish through corespondences or distance education. Life is about setting yourself up for success, and high school is a large foundation block in that success plan.

If you ever need to talk, please email me, facebook me, whatever you need.

Best wishes.

Melanie

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last