Message Boards

Topic : 05/27 What Do You Fear?

Number of Replies: 421
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 17, 2008, 02:50:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/21/2008) Whether it’s the fear of spiders or the fear of dying, fears and phobias can steal your peace of mind and even dominate your life. Meet Kathleen, a mother of three, who says her entire world is built around more than 30 fears that include driving, flying, being alone and taking medication. Her life has gotten so out of control that her two teenagers dropped out of school to take care of her, and her 9-year-old is absent so often, she may follow in their footsteps. Kathleen, who wants to stop being a prisoner to her anxieties, faces many of her fears just to get to Los Angeles to see Dr. Phil. What’s at the root of her paralyzing phobias, and can she take back her life for the sake of her family? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 21, 2008, 2:27 am CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: skybabe357

i know what is like to have theses kind of fears that this lady is going thur i was doing the same thing for a long time and i finally talk to my doctor and he game me some medcineto help me sleep at night maybe she needs to also ask her doctor for help also see a shirk to help her deal with theses phoaios also talk to her doctor he may give her a relaxer to help her sleep at nite also ask a shrik to help her too.there is also one important person who can help out of them is ask god for his help ask him to take away theses evil thoughts she is having cause he is impossible he will help ya thur it all if ya are willing to ask him for help.
Hello, my name is Brooke and I'm the daughter of Kathleen who this show is about, and I just thought I'd let you know that she is afraid to take any medicines because she thinks the side effects will hurt her. Even the other day she was having a headache and took some aspirin and she thought she was going to pass out.

October 21, 2008, 7:42 am CDT

Unbelievable!

It's one to thing to compromise your own life from silly fears, but when you expect your kids to give up their education to babysit you that is crossing the line! I think Social Services should be involved in this situation. Dr. Phil is right, this woman is getting some payoff to this behavior. It's all in her head and the worst part is everyone is coddling and enableing her! Her husband needs to put his foot down and tell those kids to get back to school and tell his wife to grow up!

October 21, 2008, 7:50 am CDT

i fear many thing but i don't let it control me

I feel for this lady but some things i think she is making up just to get attietion. Because if u see that her friend & husband are not running to her at  every second now so she has moved to her daughters now & they giving her everything she wants. And i don;t understand how she can clean the rooms that she nows people will see but not the rest of the house that is pure lazyness. I would like to see a follow-up show on her & see what ur doctors found out on the tests that there are going to do & see if she is for real on all her fears. I just feel real sorry for the daughters that had to drop out of school & have no ED because of her that is real selfish on her part. As a parent that is the farmost important thing for me for them to go to school & stay in school.

October 21, 2008, 7:56 am CDT

Fear can cripple a person

I have suffered from fears from my early twenties and I am now 62.  I, myself am afraid of bridges, flying, any new medications, traveling in a car if I am a passenger, and will have a panic attack if anything out of the norm happens to me.  Fears can cripple you.  Let me say that when I worked, I flew for many years for my job and am here to talk about it.  I have taken many new medications and am here to talk about it.  I just got back from a mountain vacation, where my husband drove over hills, mountains, bridges, and busy roads, and I am here to talk about it.  The most important thing is that 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with a brain anurysim, had a coiling, and most important am here to talk about it.  The fear of being injured or death is very overwhelming for some of us, but to be alive and have no quality of life is even worse.  After my brain surgery, my Dr. put me on Wellbutrin for depression, and a 2mg valium for panic disorder.  I am doing much better now, but it takes a lot of work.  Please try and think of your world as a happy safe place and take one small step at a time.  I wish you all the best that this world has to offer.  Take a deep breath and try thinking happy thoughts.  I am so happy that Dr. Phil will get you the help you need.  I have struggled for so many years and I completely understand what you are going through.

October 21, 2008, 8:05 am CDT

Kathleen's foundation is crumbling around her...

My heart goes out to Kathleen with all her phobia's, she should have gone for medication (prozac) for her anxiety's decades ago.  I have taken Sarafem, following my anxieties after 9/11 happened...and am much more balanced in my behaviors.  Kathleen's children NEED to be back in school!!  She should not allow her kids to pay the price for her own fears.  Kathleen's "needy" behavior is working for her, so why would she want to change it?  The world revolves around her.  She needs to get her whole family, husband and children included, helping to make a weekly plan to clean the house...for all's happiness.  Once a plan is in place, they can get back to normalcy....but ALL those CHILDREN MUSTTTT be in school!!!  Her husband needs to step up as the man and help out, talk to his employer & classmates mom's, to make sure the kids get to school and that they know school is really important to their futures.  Responsibility, social interaction, being deciplined in life, all depend on them regularly attending school.   I hope Kathleen works hard to get the medication and help she needs to be successful.  No one is perfect, so it's good she came on the show.  Hugs to her and her kids...I pray you find the way out of your darkness and into the light.,..so you can live the life God truly wants for you & your family.   Concerned viewer,  Anne from MI

October 21, 2008, 8:41 am CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: marathoner2

I am afraid of being laid off. I have worked in the same job,although changing and more responsibility,some more moneh- i lack a college degree.  I work with a lot of clinicians, and they dont consider you very well until they want something. Other than that you are definitily known as less of a person.  Yet, it's where i've worked for nearly 25 years. With the economy and threats of loss of job upcoming in 3 weeks, major anxiety and fear.

this may sound childish, but I have a fear of sleeping without covers on my feet.  I feel like someone is in my room and will hurt me. When I was a child,sleeping in a bunkbed, my sisters used to pull on my feet if they were uncovered.

sound s stupid, I know but to this day, I will wake up feeling like someone has grabbed my feet..like someone is in the room and they are going to hurt me..... This is usually followed by night terrors where I wake up screaming...very embarassing if I'm sleeping with someone or am in a hotel room...

I know it's not real, but am unable to control that sense of fear.

October 21, 2008, 9:58 am CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

Quote From: wardjunefan

It's one to thing to compromise your own life from silly fears, but when you expect your kids to give up their education to babysit you that is crossing the line! I think Social Services should be involved in this situation. Dr. Phil is right, this woman is getting some payoff to this behavior. It's all in her head and the worst part is everyone is coddling and enableing her! Her husband needs to put his foot down and tell those kids to get back to school and tell his wife to grow up!
How very judgemental you are.  this women suffers from real terror & is reaching out for help.  God forgive you for your lack of compassion.  I also pray that you will never experience such pain and sadness...

October 21, 2008, 10:04 am CDT

10/21 What Do You Fear?

I was totally proud of you, Kathleen, for taking that big step in making it to the Dr. Phil show.  I cried along with you as I too suffer from horrible phobias.  It started out small and has now turned into agoraphobia.  I was very impressed by you, Dr. Phil, as well as your team of Doctors at how sensitive you were to her struggles.  For those of you on the boards who say just go pop a pill, or just get over yourself, then you have never experencied the pure paralyzation these fears can cause.  Also, just taking a pill is not always the answer for you still haven't dealt with the issue of learning new coping strategies.  Yes, it's your own mind creating the irrational fears and inappropriate behaviors, but our mind is very powerful and it's hard to just flip the switch and change the dialogue.  How are you doing now Kathleen?  Hang in there.

October 21, 2008, 10:06 am CDT

Not fair...

Quote From: fyoosha

Phobias are for those who have time for them...those of us who are suddenly  UN-employed, and terrified ,are being  ignored. I notice I'm so stressed, my typing looks like that of a 10-year-old....... After decades,of employment in education, and a "bread-and-butter"job, too-- I'm OUT  IN THE COLD,  invisible to the politicians, and to the media.....I don't care about the problems of millionaires or starlets!A lot of us are watching Dr. Phil for solace, suggestions, a panel of psychologists  perhaps?.....Something! Add Suze Orman to the mix and maybe this terrible Panic  that has gone unrecognized  can be addressed. We're  not all homeownders- a lot of us rent.....and have always been ok with  that. Forget "business as usual" at Dr. Phil- and for the next 17 whatever days ,help us COPE!  

Blessings. B. Ellen

A more untrue statement could not possibly be said as when you stated that "Phobias are for those who have time for them"  People who have phobias, especially those that are so extreme the rule your life don't only suffer from them because they have the time to do so.

That being said with the way the day and times, and economy are I'm sure there are not many people who are in the boat you are in.  One way or another this horrible downswing in the economy effects most everyone.

But to imply that those with phobias are getting undue attention and help, or are only afflicted because they have nothing better to do is an unfair statement.

I hope that things turn around for you.

October 21, 2008, 10:08 am CDT

resources please

can you tell me how to access resources to deal with phobias and panic disorders that were the subject of todays show?  Thank you!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last