Message Boards

Topic : 10/28 Cyber Bullying

Number of Replies: 132
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 24, 2008, 02:49:53 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Bullies love an audience, and there’s no bigger playground than the World Wide Web. Cyber bullies create vulgar MySpace posts to taunt others, or send harassing text messages and threatening e-mails. Dr. Phil tackles this topic head on with his son, Jay, whose new book, Jay McGraw’s Life Strategies for Dealing with Bullies, offers action-oriented plans. Jay recently sat down with a group of teens to get their perspective on cyber bullying -- and they didn’t hold back! Learn what concerns the students the most. Next, 17-year-old Austyn says a close friend turned on her, hacked into her MySpace account and reformatted the page to say that Austyn is a " slut," a “sag” and a “butter face.”  Austyn says she now has a bad reputation at school and shows Dr. Phil producers a typical day in her life. What can the teen do to empower herself? Steve DeWarns, a police officer and founder of Internetchildsafety.net, explains when cyber bullying becomes a crime. Then, is your child capable of intimidating other kids? Jay gives the Dos and Don’ts of reacting to a bully. Plus, meet a teen who fears his future may be ruined after a fake MySpace page was created in his name, and a mother who says her 15-year-old son was bullied to death. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 28, 2008, 5:32 pm CDT

10/28 Cyber Bullying

I watched your show today along with my 15 year old son.  He was not surprised with the cyber bullying.  He says it happens all the time.  This disturbed me.  He also said something else that disturbed me, he said Dr. Phil needs to sit in and listen to a game being played on Xbox live.  He would be appaulled by the amount of bullying and name calling that goes on in there.  Have you ever listened in on one of those games? I did, I was disgusted.  My son stated that if you do not have the head set for the game they make fun of that kid even more, because he can't hear them nor defend themselves.

October 28, 2008, 5:32 pm CDT

Emotional and Life Skill Education K-12 "daily" class...

Emotional and Life Skill Education K-12 "daily" class... with age appropriate topics, role playing, field trips etc. Why? Our EQ's are as important as our IQ's and parents cannot teach what they have not learned. The 4th R needed in schools is respect for self and others.

President Clinton Administration thought this idea was a good idea in 1998, so sent me contact information of every Department of Education under U.S. Jurisdiction. Ideally, I suggested in 1998, that classes would be led by a male and female teacher with each setting a positive example of mutual respect for each other. Ironically, the Dr. Phil Show is quite similar to what I envisioned since Dr. Phil refused to just walk past Robin and takes her hand and includes her and his other family members in the Dr. Phil Show "one for all and all for one".

I didn't have the credentials that Dr. Phil has so I only heard back from California... mostly that they thought their program a good model to set an example to other schools.

Dr. Phil's son, Jay, and his father and their colleagues are perfect to begin such a program just like Jay implemented his Anti-Bully Campaign. Life is like economics: Choice. Enough bad choices can lead to emotional bankruptcy such as the victim of a bully or a bully dealing with the consequential fallout of being a bully.

Life is a team effort. Join the team making the best choices to last a life time. Thank you. SEA

October 28, 2008, 5:42 pm CDT

10/28 Cyber Bullying

"Kids say i havent done anything for them to do that to me,  BUT THATS A LIE. noone will  just start something for no reason @ all".

You know that statement is not true.  I honestly can't believe you would say something like that. When I moved into a new school district, I was bullied for the first two years I was there. I did nothing to them to provoke as you think. I was just an easy target, because I was the smallest in the grade, and I was shy. It ended after two years. Two of the bullies dropped out of school, and the third was sent to a private school.

October 28, 2008, 5:51 pm CDT

RE:

I don't like how you did your show on cyber bullying. It is not as bad as you make it. Every time I hear about how a teenager commits suicide, there is more to it then cyber bullying. There was a kid who faced depression issues, neglect at home, and bullying. He commited suicide. I think the parents should be more aware of the teenagers activities.  ALos, most internet uses should be aware that just about everything that isn't government controled shouldn't be taken as seriously.  I could call a kid a "fag" or another vulgar name, and he should know to not take it seriously.

About that one girl who had her Myspace hacked, it is partially her fault. She should have never told her password to ANYONE.  I could probably get on about 9 to 10 people's Myspace accounts due to lack of security on their part.  I don't condone cyber bullying, but people need to take things more lightly.

Summary:

-Parents should be aware
-Parents should monitor the persons usage of the computer relative to the age.
-Parents should wach their kids for the signs in your Son's book more closely.
-Parents should get involved with the schools principal/counselor.
-Parents should talk to their kids about this stuff at an early age.

October 28, 2008, 6:06 pm CDT

10/28 Cyber Bullying

Quote From: dmjh0306

I just went through this with my daughter.  The laws may vary from state to state, but I had to file a police report and provide myspace with the complaint number and the contact information for the person that I was dealing with at the police department.  You need to call the police station and ask if they have a "Cyber Crimes Unit".  The police department had to subpoena myspace to get the ISP of the person that made up the account (they will get each time they logged on) and then they will subpoena the ISP and get the IP addresses of the computer that they used to log in.  Then they will go have a chat with the owner of the computer that did this.  Hopefully they didn't use a public computer!  Whatever the law, get the site taken town and protect your daughter.  The site doesn't have to be up for the police to get the information that they need.  If nothing else, do what I did and print out the page to have as a record.  Good Luck!

I am also currently going through this with my child( for the second time). In our state this falls under Cyberstalking Laws. Exactly what you are suggesting is what I did. It will most likely be your Sherriff's Dept that will have a Cyber Crimes Unit not a local town or city police dept. They were able to find out in a matter of about 2 weeks who did this and they also contacted Myspace  to have the page removed.I am truly baffled by the young man on the show whose mother has gone to the school and police and they claim there is no recourse. One important thing I was advised was for parents not to contact Myspace to remove the page until you get law enforcement involved. Definately making copies of the page is good advice. Parents need to check the laws regarding these things in your state so when you go to the school or the police you are armed with knowledge to force them to take action. I would also encourage checking to see if your state already has an Anti- Bullying Policy in place, many do. If they don't definately take Dr. Phil's advice and write your legislators, demand they protect your children!

October 28, 2008, 6:07 pm CDT

I did it

I am a member of the Anti-bullying committee at my local school, we do have a zero tolerance policy, however, i have been trying to get them to meet for the past year to discuss disciplinary actions for bullying..0 tolerance OK, but what about the consequences........to no avail....so i sent the letter from the Dr. Phil site to:   My Missouri Congressman, State representatives, and local newspapers to print and ask for as many residence as possible to send to our congressman in Jefferson city Missouri....also sent it to the school superintendent and assistant superintendent (who is responsible for setting the meetings for the anti-bullying committee)......I sent itto Kansas congressman as well, I have 2 step children in kansas....

Thank you Dr. Phil and Jay....that letter says what I have been screaming inside...but could not bring out on paper.....THANK YOU     THANK YOU!!!!!

October 28, 2008, 6:55 pm CDT

10/28 Cyber Bullying

Quote From: davidhunt17

I don't like how you did your show on cyber bullying. It is not as bad as you make it. Every time I hear about how a teenager commits suicide, there is more to it then cyber bullying. There was a kid who faced depression issues, neglect at home, and bullying. He commited suicide. I think the parents should be more aware of the teenagers activities.  ALos, most internet uses should be aware that just about everything that isn't government controled shouldn't be taken as seriously.  I could call a kid a "fag" or another vulgar name, and he should know to not take it seriously.

About that one girl who had her Myspace hacked, it is partially her fault. She should have never told her password to ANYONE.  I could probably get on about 9 to 10 people's Myspace accounts due to lack of security on their part.  I don't condone cyber bullying, but people need to take things more lightly.

Summary:

-Parents should be aware
-Parents should monitor the persons usage of the computer relative to the age.
-Parents should wach their kids for the signs in your Son's book more closely.
-Parents should get involved with the schools principal/counselor.
-Parents should talk to their kids about this stuff at an early age.

Bullying is never to be taken lightly.  Columbine is proof of that.  I was bullied when I was a little girl, it made me shy and distrustful of other people.  When we moved from that school it was the best thing that ever happened.  I am almost 50 years old and while I can't tell you the full names of my favorite playmates I had in the 3rd grade, I can tell you the name of the girl who was horrible to me those years.  It does affect a person forever.  Never down play when a person is being hurt... some aren't strong enough to take it.

October 28, 2008, 7:00 pm CDT

10/28 Cyber Bullying

The issue of cyberbullying often goes so much deeper than we think.  There are classrooms in this country where uncaring and incompetent teachers who don't teach and wish to win over their students allow bullying and even encourage bullying in the classroom. This is exactly what happened to my daughter in a school Waxhaw, North Carolina.  Her AP English teacher didn't want to teach, so she would let the kids run amuck and showed them movies all year long.  The teacher became upset because as parents we wanted to know what was going in the classroom; the teacher felt threatened because she was being found out ,so she retaliated by falsifying grades on an AP practice exam and on another assignment; at a parent conference the teacher falsified the grade and told us our daughter was failing but the teacher could not produce the work she claimed our daughter had earned an F for.  The principal sat by and allowed the teacher to bully us and our daughter claiming that our daughter had to fail because of the F grade on the AP practice exam.  Prior to the meeting,the teacher had broken parent-student-teacher confidentiality by actually telling her class about my daughter's complaint. The teacher egged students on to retaliate against the student who was "snitching" on her for not teaching.  She never directly said my daughter's name,but every kid in that classroom knew who the teacher was talking about.  The teacher even told the class that she didn't get even through physical means, she got even on her own terms.  A few weeks later everyone did indeed get even: the teacher and the students... because two male students, whose parents have close ties with the principal and with the teacher posted a rumor online on Facebook that our daughter was pregnant and getting an abortion.  When we reported it, the principal defended the two bullies and claimed that the boys had told him that my daughter had been rude to them, so that's why they wrote what they did.  Everyone went unpunished and the teacher remains in her AP classroom, showing movies and ridiculing and intimidating anyone who doesn't condone her immorality.  So teenagers aren't the only offenders; the authority figures who are afraid of the parents of the bullies are more to blame and are more immoral than the teen perpetrators of the cyberbullying because the adults stand by and watch a child be victimized and they either ignore or dismiss a child's pain, until it is too late.   

October 28, 2008, 8:25 pm CDT

Who are the Bullies

Who are the bullies?  I was a Bully in Junior High and High School and what did I have to deal with.  I think that this is the  area to stop the bulling.  I was mentally, pysically, and sexully abused and I found my power at school.  So lets have a look at the parents that are bringing up these bullies because in my case I did not have the support from parent who believed in me and found it else were. This age is a very hard time for all of us male or female and at this age it is important to be excepted by the follow age group.

Lynda

October 28, 2008, 8:39 pm CDT

BULLYS

HELLO ALL, I TOO WAS BULLYED AS A YOUNG LADY IN THE LATE80S 90S.I WAS LUCK IN THAT TIME YOU COULD TAKE CARE OF IT YOUR SELF AND BE DONE AND THEY NEW BETTER..... AGAIN MI 15 DAUGHTER IS BEEN BULLYED ALSO, WHAT UPSETING ME THE MUST IS THAT THEY ARE THE ONES THAT ARE ON PROBATION AND THEY STILL TALK ABOUT HER IN THE WORSE WAY.THEY  AND THERE PARENTS .MY DAUGHTER IS SO STRONG AND AM SO PROUD OF HER. I LIVE IN KS AND TRUST ME ITS HERE 2

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last