Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Mind Control?

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 31, 2008, 04:13:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/05/08) It’s hard to believe, but in America alone, there may be as many as 5,000 religious groups preying upon the weak and vulnerable, and all in the name of God. Dr. Phil’s guests have warnings for you and your children. Seeta says when her 18-year-old daughter joined a religious group called 1 Mind Ministries, she left home with her 7-month-old son and never returned. Soon afterward, Seeta received the horrifying news that her grandson was found dead and her daughter was being charged with murder. Learn the disturbing details of this case and why Seeta says her daughter is innocent. Then, meet Norman, a college-educated husband and father who moved his family hundreds of miles to join a religious group that came with a price he says he never expected. Norman says he was enticed to join the House of Yahweh because of his strong desire to be part of a group. The House of Yahweh is a mysterious organization out of Abilene, Texas, led by Yisrayl Hawkins, a man who some say has more than 30 wives. As Norman and his family prepared for the end of the world, as Yisrayl Hawkins preached, Norman says he eventually realized why they were selected to join the group. You won’t believe the reason he gives! Then, meet a former wife of Yisrayl Hawkins, and learn the warning signs of mind control. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 13, 2008, 12:15 am CST

Such a tragedy!

Quote From: jemella

Hi jewels thankyou for responding and thankyou for your support and encouragement I really appreciate it. It helps to have other people besides your own family to talk to and to hear that yes there are others out there that have faced tragedy as I have. I could have accepted if my son had died in the car accident, I have a strong faith in God and at least I would know he is safe. The issue that bothers me the most as his mother is that I couldnt prevent what happened to him even though i did everything legally within my power to keep him safe. The insurance corporation just dictates what is going to take place and I was not included in any way even though I made my prescence known. It is so frustrating at this point we are still waiting for the insurance company to transfer the estate and then a presumption of death certificate will be issued in case my son returns. I have been battling this situation for 14 years and it has destroyed our family. We will never be the same. My  family has been misinformed, bullied, and basically treated as frauds by the insurance corporation. I am making lots of noise and talking to everyone I can that may have the power to end this and give my family our lives back. Thanks again jewels

warm regards jemella

I had read your earlier post's and what you are going through. It went through my mind how difficult it must have been to be "left out" the way that you were, putting it mildly. I can't begin to imagine how hard that must have been and still is. It's true that sometimes it's easier to talk to someone outside of the family about these things because when it's brought up among your own family the hurt and pain is still so incredibly raw. And by talking to another who has gone through something similar they do actually know how much it really hurts, not just what they think it be like. Because no matter what, it's worse than anything you could ever imagine! I didn't want to say anything to you earlier about how it may have been easier if you did know what has happened to your son, or that you knew for a fact that he had passed away. But since you brought it up I feel that it hopefully is OK now. At least when someone has passed a parent or sibling can begin to grieve and eventually move towards acceptance, find closer. My heart has always gone out to parents who do not know what has happened to their children, where they have simply disappeared. If you would like to talk in private I'll put my email below, feel free to contact me anytime. I've been through a rather abnormal bit of tragedy in my life so there is much that I can understand. I hope to hear from you.

My Best,

Jewels

topfuelfan@hotmail.com

November 13, 2008, 12:47 am CST

Is it a church or a cult?

My brother & his wife & 2 children moved out of their suburban home to live next door to the "church" they had been attending for a few months.  They had been invited in by a friend.

Since then, the children have grown, the son has escaped the clutches & calls it a cult.

We have always been a Christian family.  My brother now claims they are Jewish.

I have attended occasional events that are strictly for guests but find it odd I have never been invited to attend one of their "teachings".  Outsiders are just that, outsiders.

Have you ever seen a true church that wasn't actively recruiting new members?

Their services are held at the home of the leader.  It is a nice home, with a nice family and a young 2nd wife nearly the age of his oldest children.

He appears to live well, his flock taking good care of him. They refer to him as a prophet at times and as Jesus at other times, I'm not really sure.

He refers to the church as the true family, preferred to the blood family you were born to.

I'm not that familiar with the Jewish traditions, but in his teaching, when someone does not live up to God's teachings, maybe by being angry, or not honoring your parents, they apologize publicly and bring a gift (a sacrifice) that would be pleasing to the lord and put it on the alter.  I'm not sure who ends up with these gifts or who may register for them.  I suspect pastor kind of helps himself.

It's just strange, very exclusive.  My sister-in-law overheard my brother talking to me once about one of the members who is a good friend of his & someone I know because of a business relationship we have.  She was quietly asking my brother why he was talking to me about this person. In their view, I am the outsider and their friend is "family".

To the best of my knowledge, the church does not have a name.  I can't prove they are doing anything illegal, but they certainly have an unusual amount of control over this family.

November 13, 2008, 6:54 am CST

mind control

I'm  not  sure that  most  folks  go  into  religion of  (whatever their  choice  is)  with  their  eyes open . Its    usually  something that  people  are not  well  informed  about . It  is  difacult  in  a  few  sentences  to  desribe  how  much  (faith based)  groups  and  fellowships  have  been  re-defined  in  this modern world.  I  dont  think  everyone  has  equal  protection  for  various  diferent  reasons  my  main  concern  is  how  off  the  phycological  charts  things  have  turned  regarding  mind  control  within  the  realm  of  religion  . 

November 14, 2008, 1:45 am CST

That is no "normal" church!

Quote From: g52moore1

My brother & his wife & 2 children moved out of their suburban home to live next door to the "church" they had been attending for a few months.  They had been invited in by a friend.

Since then, the children have grown, the son has escaped the clutches & calls it a cult.

We have always been a Christian family.  My brother now claims they are Jewish.

I have attended occasional events that are strictly for guests but find it odd I have never been invited to attend one of their "teachings".  Outsiders are just that, outsiders.

Have you ever seen a true church that wasn't actively recruiting new members?

Their services are held at the home of the leader.  It is a nice home, with a nice family and a young 2nd wife nearly the age of his oldest children.

He appears to live well, his flock taking good care of him. They refer to him as a prophet at times and as Jesus at other times, I'm not really sure.

He refers to the church as the true family, preferred to the blood family you were born to.

I'm not that familiar with the Jewish traditions, but in his teaching, when someone does not live up to God's teachings, maybe by being angry, or not honoring your parents, they apologize publicly and bring a gift (a sacrifice) that would be pleasing to the lord and put it on the alter.  I'm not sure who ends up with these gifts or who may register for them.  I suspect pastor kind of helps himself.

It's just strange, very exclusive.  My sister-in-law overheard my brother talking to me once about one of the members who is a good friend of his & someone I know because of a business relationship we have.  She was quietly asking my brother why he was talking to me about this person. In their view, I am the outsider and their friend is "family".

To the best of my knowledge, the church does not have a name.  I can't prove they are doing anything illegal, but they certainly have an unusual amount of control over this family.

Wow, that sure sounds like a cult to me! I may not know the deep teachings of the Jewish religion but from what I do know it is nothing as you described here. I hope that your brother opens his eyes to what is happening and finds his way back to a regular church soon. Good luck and I wish you the best.

November 14, 2008, 6:37 pm CST

children turning to drugs

Quote From: doomsdaydiva

Kids turn to drugs because they're not religious? That is so incorrect. Kids turn to drugs for many reasons-emotional problems, peer pressure, the fact that they think they're immortal, but I have yet to hear anyone say "I got addicted to crystal meth because I didn't  go to church every Sunday." I for one am sick of religious people always making the assumption that because I am not religious I must be very morally impaired and go out murdering and stealing or whatever. I am not perfect, but I don't drink, I've never smoked, and I absolutely hate drugs. But I guess none of that matters unless I'm begging God for mercy in a church, does it??

When children turn to drugs they are looking for something to fill the emptiness inside and the pain they feel. These children lack self esteem, they do not believe in themselves or anything really. Children learn whatever they live and if a child is taught to value him or herself they will have no need to look outside themselves in order to make good choices or solve issues. There are so many lost children and its a testimony to our society. We have failed the children!!!!!

November 16, 2008, 1:30 pm CST

christianity a cult???

Quote From: meme22

Christianity itself is a cult.    I appreciate you expressing amazement that others can be lured into cults, but truly it is merely a matter of degrees.    Anyone who wants a cut of your hard-earned money, but lives better than you, and who does not himself/herself have a true job outside of being paid from others parting with their wages...that's a cult.  

I'm glad to be free from all of it.   And I hope more and more people see through the crap and get their lives and minds back.   If it's religious, it's a cult.

There are religions that are cults and anyone with good sense is able to differentiate between them. You say that Christianity is a cult, I take offense to that because I consider myself to be a christian and have been all my life. There is nothing cult about it. Christianity is a way to live your life, to have morals and treat others with respect and dignity. God is love and I feel sorry for those who do not believe in anything greater than themselves. I dont know if you have faced tragedy in your life or lost a loved one, but if you have where do you turn for strength and guidance to get you through. None of us humans are that self sufficient, that we can depend totally on ourselves in all aspects of our lives.

With all the devastation in the world, dont you ever stop to think that it might be ten times worse if we did not have Christianity as a compass? Did you ever stop to think that maybe just maybe we do need religion in our lives? I believe people that do not believe in any power greater than themselves, it doesnt have to be christianity either, must have a terribly shallow view of life.

Love and light

Jemella

November 16, 2008, 3:09 pm CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Quote From: jewelsf

I'm so happy that I found out that all religions are cults before I said another prayer and got myself in any further. Good grief, I feel that anyone who chooses to not not believe has that right and I do NOT judge them. But it's funny that someone who is an atheist is always trying to shove their own beliefs down my throat. I live in a free country where I have the right to believe as I choose. And let me tell you a little known fact that I would assume that you are unaware of. Wars have been fought over, and millions of men have died over religion. Too bad you weren't there to tell them it was over a cult!
I am not an atheist.   You presumed wrong.

November 16, 2008, 3:25 pm CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Quote From: jewelsf

You would probably get further in your arguments if you didn't call people "dumb sheep". Once you start on the offensive there really isn't any other way for someone else to reply to you except for being on the defensive. I've noticed that many people tend to make a good argument only to spoil it by using terms such as that, it lessens your credibility.

Well, ya know, diverting attention from the heart of the matter by addressing the manner in which it is said is something that cults and abusers do.  It's deflecting and unproductive.  If you want to take issue with how someone got a point across and didn't mince words, try reading what Jesus said of the religious leaders of his time in the Christian folklore of Matthew 23.  I guess he would have been more credble if he hadn't been so forthright.  Geez....

Things that offend little usually don't educate much.  And vice versa.  It is those things which are sometimes hardest to hear, that must be said.   And if it spoils the argument it only does so for those who wouldn't have "got it" even if had been delivered on a silver platter with silk-gloved clad hands.  I'll say it again...people are dumb sheep.  Cults and the mind control exercised by religious institutions of all persuasions are the only proof that anyone needs.  (Not to say there aren't other examples, but the topic here is the mind control of religion.)

Sometimes the best way to be compassionate is to wake people up like thunder.  Even that which is recorded in the gospels of the Christian folklore has profuse examples of this in the purported words of Christ.   You think he was put to death because he kept quiet about his revolutionary, woman-freeing, anti religious statements.? No way.  He was killed because he railed against exactly what has evolved over time snce his demise, as being linked to his name.  Quite the irony.   He condemned with his words exactly what "Christianity" became within years of his demise, and only become worse over the centuries.

If people weren't dumb sheep, then men could not make their abudant living off controlling them, and that includes even the most benign "acceptable"  mainstream church.  Think about it.  There are as many brands of Christianities as there are men making their livings off of "teaching" their version, myriad "theosophies" within and across all denominations, and compeition or rancor among neighborhood churches that all profess the same Christ, than you can shake a stick at.  For Pete's sake,  in my 30 years wasted in that kind of nonsense, I never once attended a "Christian" service that didn't include taking up money.  Hello?    What more proof do we need that people are dumb sheep than a cursory glance at all of this nonsense all around us? 

November 16, 2008, 3:37 pm CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Quote From: jemella

There are religions that are cults and anyone with good sense is able to differentiate between them. You say that Christianity is a cult, I take offense to that because I consider myself to be a christian and have been all my life. There is nothing cult about it. Christianity is a way to live your life, to have morals and treat others with respect and dignity. God is love and I feel sorry for those who do not believe in anything greater than themselves. I dont know if you have faced tragedy in your life or lost a loved one, but if you have where do you turn for strength and guidance to get you through. None of us humans are that self sufficient, that we can depend totally on ourselves in all aspects of our lives.

With all the devastation in the world, dont you ever stop to think that it might be ten times worse if we did not have Christianity as a compass? Did you ever stop to think that maybe just maybe we do need religion in our lives? I believe people that do not believe in any power greater than themselves, it doesnt have to be christianity either, must have a terribly shallow view of life.

Love and light

Jemella

I was as sincere a "Christian" woman as anyone could ever have been from the age of 16 through 45.  And I never once felt at home within it.  I stuck to the basics according to the records words of Christ, but felt like an anomaly with each of the various churches/denominations I tried. I gave myself to it, genuinely loved people but received only conditional love back.  I served tirelessing on committees, pray sincerely for people, gave and never asked for anything in return, and still came to see it for what it truly is.  It's a sham for the most part and , a crutch that I don't need, and realize I never needed.  If it works for you, good on you.  But, if you open your eyes to history, you'll see that Christianity is just one of the foremost religious of this world over centuries, that has been the cause for the death of innocent people (especially free thinking women), wars, political upheaval (and not for the better) and other ignominious things.   I believe, with all I've studied and personally experienced, that this world would be ten times better without religion at all, and especially without Christianity.  I know my life is. And my family's life is.   Because, the truth set us free from all of it's nonsense and mind control. 

If Christianity were the panacea you proffer, then it is failing miserably, isn't it?   Jerks in public ministry have cast judgment on 3000 people killed during 9/11 and others killed in hurricanes.  Who the heck are these bastions of malice and hate who are held up as "Christian" leaders.    They make my case for me.  

The only love I've ever had within humanity in my 51 years has not come from professing Christians.  In fact the worst treatment, judgement, condemnation, and withholding of help has come from professing Christians.   I fnd that those who are smart enough to not submit to its mind control, or have been spewed from its midst due to nonconformity are the ones who have shown me love, joy, peace and acceptance.  I am glad to be free of its clutches, and so is my pocketbook, my healthy, my well-being,my peace of mind, and my enduring friendships.  Good riddance. 

We don't need religion, we need love and acceptance.   Religion talks about it, but it doesn't offer that.  Period.

November 17, 2008, 12:10 am CST

OK, Let's get incredibly technical!

Quote From: meme22

I am not an atheist.   You presumed wrong.
You are not an Atheist but you do not believe in religion, because all religion is a cult. Fine, you are a non-believer, agnostic, voodoo, witch craft, white witch, whatever. Does it really matter?

First | Prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next | Last