Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Mind Control?

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 31, 2008, 04:13:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/05/08) It’s hard to believe, but in America alone, there may be as many as 5,000 religious groups preying upon the weak and vulnerable, and all in the name of God. Dr. Phil’s guests have warnings for you and your children. Seeta says when her 18-year-old daughter joined a religious group called 1 Mind Ministries, she left home with her 7-month-old son and never returned. Soon afterward, Seeta received the horrifying news that her grandson was found dead and her daughter was being charged with murder. Learn the disturbing details of this case and why Seeta says her daughter is innocent. Then, meet Norman, a college-educated husband and father who moved his family hundreds of miles to join a religious group that came with a price he says he never expected. Norman says he was enticed to join the House of Yahweh because of his strong desire to be part of a group. The House of Yahweh is a mysterious organization out of Abilene, Texas, led by Yisrayl Hawkins, a man who some say has more than 30 wives. As Norman and his family prepared for the end of the world, as Yisrayl Hawkins preached, Norman says he eventually realized why they were selected to join the group. You won’t believe the reason he gives! Then, meet a former wife of Yisrayl Hawkins, and learn the warning signs of mind control. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 5, 2008, 8:21 am CST

11/05 Mind Control?

I don't think it could happen to everyone. There seems to be some flaw in the people it does happen to. I know you could talk until you are blue in the face and I will never believe in a divine being of any sort.

November 5, 2008, 8:23 am CST

Mind Control

It is imperative that people begin to consider the sources when retrieving information from others.  Why do we feel it is safer to let down our guards just because someone claims to have a relationship with the Lord.  If a person truly has a relationship with the Lord then that individual should not have to go around telling people.  After spending time with a person and observing how they respond when confronted with difficult and diverse situations it should become apparent whether or not that person is a truly trustworthy individual who has everyone's best interest at heart.  We should take the same care in studying about spiritual matters as we do with any other subject.  And we should know upfront that there are "predators" of all types, who are looking to take advantage of those are not aware, encountered in all areas and professions in life.  When seeking a closer walk with God, it is best to study for yourself in your own home before venturing to depend on the teachings received among any group.

November 5, 2008, 9:07 am CST

Been There...Almost

When I was in college, I was invited to attend meetings of a supposedly Christian youth group held in a local church.  I was invited to attend when a classmate saw I was wearing a cross.  At the meetings, I was told the members of this group lived in a strict environment, and were put through a rigid 4-year indoctrination program.  After completing the program, the members were then baptised, at which time they supposedly "received a prayer language--in other words, they gained the ability to pray in tongues--, and then they were expected to move in to an apartment complex, away from their homes and families.  The members were also expected to donate large sums of money to the church (several thousands of dollars).  While I was attending the meetings of this group, my mother said she had a dream in which I had joined a cult.  In His wisdom, God led me away from this group.  As for the mind control element, when the classmate who'd invited me initially called again, I told her I would not be coming to anymore meetings, her response was "What are you trying to say?" 

November 5, 2008, 10:37 am CST

Cults........................................

I have always wondered why people are drawn into cults that already have a life of stability. I can understand how someone who is vulnerable, homeless, on drugs or what have you can fall prey. But how does someone who is not in that position happily sign their life, marriage, and all worldly goods away to live in a commune without the benefit of being able to think and act for themselves? They are stripped of everything, including their spouse if they are married and forced to live under the rule of one man who claims to be their Saviour. I am a Christian but I would certainly know better than to fall into this kind of trap. To me it's just plain old common sense.

November 5, 2008, 10:41 am CST

From the description alone.................

Quote From: maryheloise46

When I was in college, I was invited to attend meetings of a supposedly Christian youth group held in a local church.  I was invited to attend when a classmate saw I was wearing a cross.  At the meetings, I was told the members of this group lived in a strict environment, and were put through a rigid 4-year indoctrination program.  After completing the program, the members were then baptised, at which time they supposedly "received a prayer language--in other words, they gained the ability to pray in tongues--, and then they were expected to move in to an apartment complex, away from their homes and families.  The members were also expected to donate large sums of money to the church (several thousands of dollars).  While I was attending the meetings of this group, my mother said she had a dream in which I had joined a cult.  In His wisdom, God led me away from this group.  As for the mind control element, when the classmate who'd invited me initially called again, I told her I would not be coming to anymore meetings, her response was "What are you trying to say?" 
I would have caught on the minute that this was described to me. Any "normal" religion cannot tell a person where to live, what to pay, or that they must complete a program, etc.. Thank God that you were able to see through this and got out while you still could.

November 5, 2008, 10:57 am CST

Cult Leader

Can you give me the name and the passage that the cult leader mentions?  I tried to remember it so I

could look it up, as I feel he misquoted the Bible, but cannot remember the needed reference points. Thank you. Norma or Norjam

November 5, 2008, 10:59 am CST

We have similar views..................

Quote From: tinybird26

unfortunatly in this day and time still religion is a forbiden subject which is sad it should be talked about questioned and deeply thought about. Personaly me I question religion all the time and dont care who gets angry at me for it im a free thinker and Im proud of it. I was riased in church and I dont consider myself religious at all anymore Im spiritual. I dont let anyone dictate to me how i should think or how I should act in my life or who I should or shouldnt believe in or give money to No one can control you if you dont let them its all about having a strong mind and and really listening to your inner self as well as questioning everything. I feel as people are easily controled because they want to be and the ybelieve in the things that these people are saying its not wrong to do this stuff not in the least Im sure much of the money you give does indeed go to charity....But my dad is a preacher and yes by the way hes fine with me being a free thinker, my dad doesnt drive a fancy car, or own a rolex, or for that matter any jewlery except his wedding band and he visits the sick, the shut ins, does all kinds of charity work from counciling at the jail to serving meals at ram house for the homeless, to reading to children at childrens homes and never asks for a dime himself....If these are truely men of faith and theyre doing these things in your community then wonerful :) but if not stop and really question yourself before you write that check. Is this really a good decent man who cares about others or just someone trying to get a new rolex for his collection? I in turn do charity work such as my dad and i love every minute of it:) And I dont even have a job right now. But I do it to just be  a good person because it makes you and others feel good about themselves and is a wonderful thing:) Listen to yourself and dont let others fool you into things unless you want to be.

Although I consider myself to be a Christian, I still tend to live and think more like you than what is considered a "normal" Christian. Yes, I believe in God, but I also feel that there is a lot of hypocrisy in the church and in congregations. My husband used to attend church when he was married to his first wife many years ago and then turned away from it when he found out that the Minister was having an affair with one of his best friends wife. Just like me he still believes in God but neither of us attend church.

I belonged to a church many years ago but have found my own way and my own spirituality. To me being a Christian is a combination of believing in the Lord and also by just being a good person. By having morals and values. I certainly don't believe that a person must attend church to be a Christian or that is the only way to the afterlife. As I said, a lot of hypocrites belong to church's and no amount of praying or attending will wash away what they have done wrong.

Having a good heart and common sense is the obvious choice in my humble opinion. As to cults? They prey on the weak, mentally compromised and vulnerable.

November 5, 2008, 12:25 pm CST

no mother should ever

i am watching the show right now. i think the mother of that little boy should get more then just 1st murder. if you are any kind of mother your child is going to come first. yes even before god. am i a bleiver yes i am i was raised in a church so was my husband. however i love my son way to much to have some one brain wash me ( is that even possibile if you care so much to be with god you leave you kids out of it.) i think this mother what way off in left feild some where. if some told me that they hear from god first im call a doctor and second they are not come any where close to my son. that being said people who are crazy enough to bleiver everything they hear are just that crazy. my father always said to me bleieve nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see. cult member and leaders should have done to them what is being done to these childeren. every child is a gift from god so you charish that little person. you dont scarfice them to so god crazy baby lover. im so tired of hearing about thing like this going on all the time people need to think with the head they are given and not with what some scum bag is saying.

November 5, 2008, 12:28 pm CST

Thank you for this show

Dear Dr. Phil, in 1972 I read the book "The Turning by Justin Scott".  I have to confess the book ticked me off so much that I threw is across the room five times before I finished.  Thank God, I did.  In 1974 Sun Yung Moon came to Washington, DC and had a free concert at Constitution Hall, I hope I'm correct about the location.  Their posters were everywhere like bugs.  I was working in Passport Division of Dept. of State on K Street NW.  I was returning from lunch when an oddly speaking young man confronted and asked it I was saved and ready for God.  I wasn't in the mood to listen.  I was running late and wasn't in a very good mood.  The young man continued to speak to me.  So  much so, I missed the light and he said it was a sign from God.  I looked him in the face and ready to put him in his place when I saw his eyes.  Dr. Phil, his eyes were lifeless, dead and the way his smiled , it looked like he was in or had rictus.  When the light changed I bid good luck, farewell and bye.
That was 36 years ago and I still have the book and the last time I browsed through it.  I threw it across the room.
I hope you can get your hands on this book.  It helped me and maybe it could help, if not entertain others.
Thank you for letting me tell my story.

November 5, 2008, 1:22 pm CST

Cults in Mainstream Religions

I am in Hawaii so have not seen the show yet but I do hope Dr. Phil touches on Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons and religions that appear to be Main stream. I left the Jehovah's Witnesses 21/2 years ago for reasons that most would see as reasonable. I disagree with them being the only one true faith on earth, Blood transfusion, and being told how to live by a group of men in Brooklyn NY ,not being able to vote. I have no personal vendettas with anyone although not being allowed to see my grandson for 2 years my son now for one year losing my workers  and family and being shunned by family members and friends to this cult does not endear me to the organization. I was in for 20 years and my husband was in for almost 18 years and we have had to bascially start over.  For what for disagreeing with current doctrine of the JW's. Many more people have experienced this we are not alone.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/167603/1.ashx

Please Dr. Phil just don't touch on the outwardly crazy ones but the more subtle ones that daily take innocent people into their folds and destroy families and friendships

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last