Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Mind Control?

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 31, 2008, 04:13:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/05/08) It’s hard to believe, but in America alone, there may be as many as 5,000 religious groups preying upon the weak and vulnerable, and all in the name of God. Dr. Phil’s guests have warnings for you and your children. Seeta says when her 18-year-old daughter joined a religious group called 1 Mind Ministries, she left home with her 7-month-old son and never returned. Soon afterward, Seeta received the horrifying news that her grandson was found dead and her daughter was being charged with murder. Learn the disturbing details of this case and why Seeta says her daughter is innocent. Then, meet Norman, a college-educated husband and father who moved his family hundreds of miles to join a religious group that came with a price he says he never expected. Norman says he was enticed to join the House of Yahweh because of his strong desire to be part of a group. The House of Yahweh is a mysterious organization out of Abilene, Texas, led by Yisrayl Hawkins, a man who some say has more than 30 wives. As Norman and his family prepared for the end of the world, as Yisrayl Hawkins preached, Norman says he eventually realized why they were selected to join the group. You won’t believe the reason he gives! Then, meet a former wife of Yisrayl Hawkins, and learn the warning signs of mind control. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 5, 2008, 5:45 pm CST

Are you your own cult?

Quote From: fwrinkledsoles

I am writing this letter in the behalf of all white middle to upper class in Good old America to please wake up and smell the coffee before this country become a Police State.  Remember, people of European decent this is how model day Christianity got started as brain washing all of the tribes of western Europe.

This Brain Washing is still going on today is a good reason we think the way we do, can't get along, spending money for temporary happiness, families falling apart, un-controllable teenagers, and addicted to drugs.  Because, the people in power only stay in power as long as we kept eating out of the bowl of soup Christianity say we should eat.

Just think white middle to upper class, if Christian was a good thing what's wrong with the way with live. It is nothing the way we live but it is how we are control to live as slaves for a God who was created by humans.  We are being control from the beginning since the birth of Christian.  Read some history from the beginning of Christian to now.   You will find noting but, havoc, killing other, stealing from other, raping other women and their own.  For instance, I think it was King George of England who said, "God had blessed them because of the disease that the European gave to the Native of what is now America."

Good grief, talk about paranoid. It is now 2008 and people have the right to choose if they believe in God or not. And in my opinion, the lack of any religious teachings has helped to lead many teenagers to drugs, not away from them. The 10 Commandments have to do with what should be normal common sense, good morals and values. Without anything such as this to guide a person then what else do they have to lead them to the right path? I am far from being a bible thumper, that actually annoys me, but on the other hand deep paranoia is a whole different ball of wax. If someone chooses to not believe in God I feel that is their right and have zero problem with that. It's all about choices and we all have the capacity to make them.

November 5, 2008, 5:46 pm CST

"17 Kids and Counting

Quote From: acdowd

Dr. Phil,

I watched part of "17 Kids and Counting" on TLC this week, and I was alarmed by what I believe is children whose minds are being controlled by their parents.  After seeing your show today, I believe the Duggar family does display mind control at work.

1.  The children in this family are completely isolated from the outside world.  The parents in order to promote their strict religious doctrines do not allow their children to watch television or browse the internet.  They are also homeschooled so they are not exposed to ideas outside of their parents' views.

2.  The children's sense of identity is diminished by the fact that they are one of 17 children.  There is no way each child is getting special attention when they are one of so many.  Their identity has become "one of the Duggar children"

3.  Further evidence of the control was exhibited when the children interviewed were asked their views about dating and relationships.  According to their parents, it is best not to date, but rather find the one person you are intended to marry, get engaged, and then begin the courtship phase.  Also, during the courtship, the couple does not even kiss because the parents have told them that it is best to save the first kiss for the wedding.  This constant suppression of one's natural instincts has got to be harming the children.

Dr. Phil, I worry about the children in this family, and I think your show could be a good format for investigating their welfare.  I certainly promote a parent's choice to instill their personal values in their children, but when those children are not allowed to gain any other information outside of their parents in order to form their own beliefs, I believe a line is crossed.

I started to watch this show too, and had to turn it off as I had some of the same concerns.  A first I was curious as to how this family became so large.  My curiosity made me watch this show.  I thought that maybe they had adopted, had foster children, etc.  Do they not realize how hard it is on a womens body to give birth to 17 children?  They equals 153 months or almost 13 years of pregnancy.  The isolation of these children and their appearance seemed to me to be red flags, raising many questions.  It has bothered me since I first watched, but I thought to myself that I was either over reacting or missing something.  I couldn't finish the show, it was just too creepy.  I'm so glad that you brought this issue up, as I completely agree with you.  The signs are there.  My concern is how out of touch with reality this family is, how are these children ever going to "join" society.  I think they are being brainwashed, and was even more surprised that this is being broadcast as okay behavior.  Having said that, I typically don't have any problems with home schooling, especially if it is done through the proper channels, interacting with others and not being isolated.  I also believe that children should be taught that there are more than just one way to view the world.  To be brainwashed that there is only one way, is in itself a form of child abuse.  The children are not being taught to think for themselves, and I believe it is actually setting them up to be victimized, especially sexually.  I just see so many red flags in this situation.  I hope that someone in authority looks into this, and at least make sure the children have choices.  Isn't that what America is all about?

November 5, 2008, 5:53 pm CST

Blood Transfusions..................

Quote From: michelel

I am in Hawaii so have not seen the show yet but I do hope Dr. Phil touches on Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons and religions that appear to be Main stream. I left the Jehovah's Witnesses 21/2 years ago for reasons that most would see as reasonable. I disagree with them being the only one true faith on earth, Blood transfusion, and being told how to live by a group of men in Brooklyn NY ,not being able to vote. I have no personal vendettas with anyone although not being allowed to see my grandson for 2 years my son now for one year losing my workers  and family and being shunned by family members and friends to this cult does not endear me to the organization. I was in for 20 years and my husband was in for almost 18 years and we have had to bascially start over.  For what for disagreeing with current doctrine of the JW's. Many more people have experienced this we are not alone.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/167603/1.ashx

Please Dr. Phil just don't touch on the outwardly crazy ones but the more subtle ones that daily take innocent people into their folds and destroy families and friendships

Although I cannot call these forms of religion cults, I do wonder about the fact that JH would rather allow their child to die then to be given blood that could keep them alive. No matter what religion that I have chosen for myself, my instincts as a parent would override this and allow the ER or surgeon to take whatever means to save my own child.

November 5, 2008, 6:10 pm CST

Religous teachings don't keep kids off drugs.

Quote From: jewelsf

Good grief, talk about paranoid. It is now 2008 and people have the right to choose if they believe in God or not. And in my opinion, the lack of any religious teachings has helped to lead many teenagers to drugs, not away from them. The 10 Commandments have to do with what should be normal common sense, good morals and values. Without anything such as this to guide a person then what else do they have to lead them to the right path? I am far from being a bible thumper, that actually annoys me, but on the other hand deep paranoia is a whole different ball of wax. If someone chooses to not believe in God I feel that is their right and have zero problem with that. It's all about choices and we all have the capacity to make them.
Kids turn to drugs because they're not religious? That is so incorrect. Kids turn to drugs for many reasons-emotional problems, peer pressure, the fact that they think they're immortal, but I have yet to hear anyone say "I got addicted to crystal meth because I didn't  go to church every Sunday." I for one am sick of religious people always making the assumption that because I am not religious I must be very morally impaired and go out murdering and stealing or whatever. I am not perfect, but I don't drink, I've never smoked, and I absolutely hate drugs. But I guess none of that matters unless I'm begging God for mercy in a church, does it??

November 5, 2008, 6:31 pm CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Quote From: cndrlla

Like I said, that could have been a SECOND printing, AND the poster could have mistaken the year they read the book. Big deal.

A second printing would come after the first printing in 1978. There is only one ISBN (International Standard Book Number)  for a book and this one has a date of 1978; reprints are not assigned new numbers. I like things to make sense, and this doesn't. It is a big deal because the whole thing is inaccurate. Why would someone tie a book to a series of events that cannot possibly be the impetus for the events, or be chronological? I am a curious creature, and I like to know things. I just happen to know that book, and I knew it was written in the late 70's, so it immediately struck me as off. I appreciate correction, and assume other intelligent beings do as well. I wasn't asking you anything, but if I was I'd very much appreciate your tenacity, thank you.

November 5, 2008, 6:43 pm CST

Sounds familiar

I know it is not considered polite, but everything that is being said on this show is relavent to how bigger churches operate. In fact, according to my university Sociology textbook the only difference between a cult, a sect, and a religion is the number of people who follow it.

Since my husband is going through a painful "deprogramming" right now I am acutely aware of the destructive nature of brainwashing children. He was raised in the Mormon religion, served 2 years as a missionary, and graduated from Brigham Young University.

All of the elements of brainwashing were part of his life within the Mormon Church. All of the four factors that Dr. Phil discussed exist in the Mormon Church. The one that outsiders can understand most easily is the isolation factor. Very few Mormons associate with non-Mormons. And my definition of associate includes having respect for others outside the Mormon Church, which no Mormon I have ever met has had.

Isolation is also present in the fact that if you are a good Mormon then every moment of your life when you are not sleeping or at work is supposed to belong to this church. All day on Sunday, family home evenings, bible study groups, recruiting others, and on and on every night of the week.

I could go on for pages with this subject but I'll tell you the result for my husband is that he has a difficult time understanding how to take responsibility for the governance of his own life and destiny. He's never had choices before. He has been told so many times that he is not perfect that he is extremely defensive. He has low self esteem, a deep sense of self loathing, and a look in his eyes that indicates fear and a broken spirit.  He has an arrogance that safe guards him from his fear of inadequacy. He has sexist thought patterns that do not reflect his true feelings of women. And he is very controlling. All of these things are on the surface. Every day I spend with my husband his true self emerges more and more as he gains perspective on the lies with which he was raised.

I would like everyone to know that I have never asked or hoped or required my husband to leave the Mormon Church. I fully supported hm to believe whatever he wanted and even though I did not agree with those beliefs, I supported him. He says that his realization that he could love and marry someone outside of the Mormon Church is what started the unravelling of his beliefs because up until he decided to do that he was trained to believe that he would not have a good life and the promise of eternal family was not available to him if he married a non-Mormon. When he realized that was not true, it made him realize a lot of other things that were not true.

I do not hate or despise Mormons. I feel a deep sense of sadness for them, as I think they are victims of a group of old, white, sexist power hungry men who claim that God talks directly to them and this justifies all their immoral behavior. I reach out to those that are hurting deep inside because of this church and all chruches, religions, and groups that hurt people under the guise of helping them.

November 5, 2008, 8:29 pm CST

Religious Cults

I think Dr. Phil is leaving out the biggest and most profitable cult of them all, Scientolgy.

Dr. Phil would benifit from having Jenna Miscavage Hill, niece of the head of the Church of Scientolgy and best friend of Tom Cruise, David Miscaviage, on his show. She recently did an interview on Nightline which exposed child labor, child neglect, and other criminal activities from the cult.

Scientolgy was formed in the 1950's by science fiction author L. Ron Hubbard, they are highly secretive, force members to spend thosands of dollars on their literature so they can learn their beliefs. Most people only see Scientolgy as the Tom Cruise wacky religion, but something far more sinister lurks beneth.

I encourage people to visit www.exscientolgykids.com to hear her and others story, and also to visit the ex-scientolgu message boards at www.forum.escn.net to hear stories from hundreds of others who were hurt and have had thier lives destroyed by the "fastest growing religion on the planet"

November 5, 2008, 8:47 pm CST

Jehovah's Witnesses Mind Control Cult

While most people think of cults as being like those that were shown on today's show, one of the largest and most destructive of these mind-control cults is the Jehovah's Witnesses.  They seek out their victims, usually after a major devastating event in that person's life, "love them into the truth," and then start changing the rules after they get them baptized into their organization.  This happened to my father who is now 78 years old, bedridden, and suffers from Alzheimer's.  Studies have shown the mental illness rate among JW's is also much higher than the average population.  My dad was once one of the strongest and smartest men in our town but has now been reduced to a frame of a brainwashed man nothing like the man who raised me and my siblings.  They have also taught him to lie.....they teach a class in this weekly calling it Theocratic Warfare Strategy.  Before joining the JW's, he would have rather cut his tongue out as to outright tell a lie. 

Basically, a JW sister started coming to "study" with my dad, and then began to help him straighten things up around the house after my mom passed away.  She would get up on a ladder in her tight jeans while painting (now this was in front of a 67 year old man who'd just lost his wife of 48 years!) and he was baptized in within two months of my mom's passing, and married to this same sister within four months. 

The JW he married threw out all of our mother's "apostate material" which is anything not printed by the WTBTS, including her Bible.  They have been taught to "properly dispose of apostate literature."  She has locked us kids out (unless she was there to control the situation,) and even gone so far as to have some fellow JW's kidnap him to keep him away from us in July 2006 when my sister came from Mexico for a surprise visit and "Stepmom" was out of town. 

I could go on and on but the stories almost sound unbelievable and if I hadn't lived it, I probably wouldn't believe some of them myself.  I just want to make people aware of the strangers that come knocking on their doors are indeed an evil and greedy mind control cult and could quite possibly even be a pedophile knocking. 

November 5, 2008, 9:19 pm CST

Attorney for a false prophet??

Let's see-- The attorney for a false prophet says that they believe in polygamy, but because it's against the law, this nice, law-abiding, friendly neighborhood religion abides by the law.   hmmm... Should we really believe the attorney for a false prophet? 

November 5, 2008, 9:34 pm CST

mormonism: kingdom of polite bondage

Quote From: braingame

I know it is not considered polite, but everything that is being said on this show is relavent to how bigger churches operate. In fact, according to my university Sociology textbook the only difference between a cult, a sect, and a religion is the number of people who follow it.

Since my husband is going through a painful "deprogramming" right now I am acutely aware of the destructive nature of brainwashing children. He was raised in the Mormon religion, served 2 years as a missionary, and graduated from Brigham Young University.

All of the elements of brainwashing were part of his life within the Mormon Church. All of the four factors that Dr. Phil discussed exist in the Mormon Church. The one that outsiders can understand most easily is the isolation factor. Very few Mormons associate with non-Mormons. And my definition of associate includes having respect for others outside the Mormon Church, which no Mormon I have ever met has had.

Isolation is also present in the fact that if you are a good Mormon then every moment of your life when you are not sleeping or at work is supposed to belong to this church. All day on Sunday, family home evenings, bible study groups, recruiting others, and on and on every night of the week.

I could go on for pages with this subject but I'll tell you the result for my husband is that he has a difficult time understanding how to take responsibility for the governance of his own life and destiny. He's never had choices before. He has been told so many times that he is not perfect that he is extremely defensive. He has low self esteem, a deep sense of self loathing, and a look in his eyes that indicates fear and a broken spirit.  He has an arrogance that safe guards him from his fear of inadequacy. He has sexist thought patterns that do not reflect his true feelings of women. And he is very controlling. All of these things are on the surface. Every day I spend with my husband his true self emerges more and more as he gains perspective on the lies with which he was raised.

I would like everyone to know that I have never asked or hoped or required my husband to leave the Mormon Church. I fully supported hm to believe whatever he wanted and even though I did not agree with those beliefs, I supported him. He says that his realization that he could love and marry someone outside of the Mormon Church is what started the unravelling of his beliefs because up until he decided to do that he was trained to believe that he would not have a good life and the promise of eternal family was not available to him if he married a non-Mormon. When he realized that was not true, it made him realize a lot of other things that were not true.

I do not hate or despise Mormons. I feel a deep sense of sadness for them, as I think they are victims of a group of old, white, sexist power hungry men who claim that God talks directly to them and this justifies all their immoral behavior. I reach out to those that are hurting deep inside because of this church and all chruches, religions, and groups that hurt people under the guise of helping them.

Everything said here is sadly very accurate.  Bondage is very hard to identify to the untrained eye and even harder, if not impossible, for people living under it's spell to identify it and break free.  The best way to reach a person in a cult is not to attack their beliefs, but to be their friend while keeping your distance.  They are very effective at drawing naive people into their control through social acceptance, and all of the classic techniques of cults including even secret pseudo-supernatural phenomena or magical experiences designed to seduce the vulnerable or inexperienced into thinking they are experiencing something unique.  People experienced in spiritual warfare know that the first thing to do when confronted with a direct revelation of psychic phenomena is to question it's authenticity.  Angels and the good guys don't work that way.  And another thing?  If people are really nice and inviting and warm and fuzzy and smile a lot?  Walk on by...kinda more quickly than normal...

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last