Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Mind Control?

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 31, 2008, 04:13:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/05/08) It’s hard to believe, but in America alone, there may be as many as 5,000 religious groups preying upon the weak and vulnerable, and all in the name of God. Dr. Phil’s guests have warnings for you and your children. Seeta says when her 18-year-old daughter joined a religious group called 1 Mind Ministries, she left home with her 7-month-old son and never returned. Soon afterward, Seeta received the horrifying news that her grandson was found dead and her daughter was being charged with murder. Learn the disturbing details of this case and why Seeta says her daughter is innocent. Then, meet Norman, a college-educated husband and father who moved his family hundreds of miles to join a religious group that came with a price he says he never expected. Norman says he was enticed to join the House of Yahweh because of his strong desire to be part of a group. The House of Yahweh is a mysterious organization out of Abilene, Texas, led by Yisrayl Hawkins, a man who some say has more than 30 wives. As Norman and his family prepared for the end of the world, as Yisrayl Hawkins preached, Norman says he eventually realized why they were selected to join the group. You won’t believe the reason he gives! Then, meet a former wife of Yisrayl Hawkins, and learn the warning signs of mind control. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 9, 2009, 5:08 am CDT

HUH?

Quote From: jewelsf

I'm so happy that I found out that all religions are cults before I said another prayer and got myself in any further. Good grief, I feel that anyone who chooses to not not believe has that right and I do NOT judge them. But it's funny that someone who is an atheist is always trying to shove their own beliefs down my throat. I live in a free country where I have the right to believe as I choose. And let me tell you a little known fact that I would assume that you are unaware of. Wars have been fought over, and millions of men have died over religion. Too bad you weren't there to tell them it was over a cult!
Atheists are trying to shove their beliefs down your throat????? Sure, it you engage us in a dialog, we're going to verbalize our views. We don't, however, go door to door trying to get people to come to our side...this kind of thing is only done by the religious...and often...christians are constantly trying to force their beliefs on everybody...look at history...how many were tortured and killed because they didn't believe? I'm all for everyone having the right to their own faith, but keep it away from me. I find it EXTREMELY offensive. The pot is calling the kettle black here.

June 9, 2009, 5:28 am CDT

Mind Control

I was extremely encouraged when I heard Dr. Phil say on the show Monday that he wanted to bring awareness to the public concerning cults and mind control. I have seen programs about the FLDS, The House of Yaweh etc. but have not seen anything about The Word of Faith Fellowship in Spindale, North Carolina a cult which was identified as one of the 5 most dangerour cults in America. This group is tucked away in a little town in North Carolina and has caused damage and suffering to so many individuals and their families all in the name of Jesus.  It is led by one woman who believes and who convinces her followers she and only she hears from God and has all the answers concerning their lives. It is mind control beyond anything I have ever seen. How do I know?  I too was a part of this until I relaized what was gong on. I lost my spouse to this group and many of my friends have lost love ones. The ones who have come out of this cult are now having a very hard time adjusting to "real life". Especially the children who grew up with a warped sense of reality. The main tactic, like other cults, is isolation from family, no television, no reading materials, no computers and having someone watch and "guard" you 24 hours a day. They even tell you when you can have sex with your spouse. I could go on and on because this story goes on and on and reaches to many other countries, Ireland, Sweden, Scotland,Brazil just to name a few. When I saw your program Monday, I was able to identify with everything being said even to the baby who was denied food because he would not say Amen. I have witnessed something very similar. These prople are very slick and can lie their way out of anything. Please, if there is any way to expose them,it would be greatly appreciated by all those who have been adversely affected. 

June 9, 2009, 6:35 am CDT

Lost in Yahweh

I know of someone who is just totally obsessed with Yahweh.  She thinks Jesus is in Australia and even called him on the phone to have him talk to me but he was on the line with someone else.  Imagine that.
I have no interest in her religion and I have told her that as soon as she comes over but it never fails every sentence she is bringing up how I have to be saved, and oh you cant give your kids flu shots because it's a sheme to get your children. 
This woman was smart, articulate, and very good in her profession.  I am very concerned for her as she has even thought of going to Australia.  I have tried to warn her but to no avail.
The site is Michelle Nye on You Tube, www.holyconspiracy.com, peacenowwhitedove@myspace.com.
Also other material is at Lulu.com.  I haven't seen any of these sites because I am not interested but these people are led to believe this is all true. 
They believe in Reincarnation, and this person believes she is Jesus's sister. 
I told her that I believe in Christ's second coming but that it will be the end of the world and judgement day.
Some will disagree with that but that is their right.  Keep exposing these groups they are harmful to relationships. 

June 9, 2009, 2:37 pm CDT

No Longer Quivering

A coercive religious movement which is growing here in the U.S. actually establishes numerous mini-cults within a broad range of communities ~ and within the individual families which subscribe to the teachings.  This "family renewal" movement (also known as "Quiverfull" "Titus 2 Women" "Biblical Patriarchy" "Proverbs 31 Women") is spreading through the home school community.

The basic teachings are:

No birth control

Headship of husband / submission of women

Courtship or Betrothal rather than dating

"Sheltering" of children

No college for daughters

This "Quiverfull" movement saddles women with almost continual pregnancies ~ it is a very demanding lifestyle which is publicly presented as an advantageous lifestyle choice (the Duggar Family ~ 18 and Counting on TLC ~ is the most commonly recognized example) ~ but the reality of this lifestyle turns out to be virtual slavery for women, oppression for children, and men forced into a postion of "headship" who often are least capable of even-handedly dealing with the weight of responsibility as "leader" of the home.

If you know of a homeschool family with a "quiverfull" of children, home church, home business, home birth, etc. ~ go here: www.nolongerquivering.com for more info.

June 9, 2009, 10:16 pm CDT

Higher Balance Institute-Eric Pipin?

Has anyone else have experience with this group called Higher Balance Institute?  My niece has gotten involved with this group and has been instructed to wait until she is 18 and move out and come to their headquarters and study.  She has a full scholarship to a great college and everything she has worked for is about to go sideways because of this "cult".   She has refused to talk to her parents because they do not want her to practice this "religion".  This Pipin fellow has been accused of some sexual acts against minors in the past.  So now he tells his follows to wait until they are 18 before they become serious followers.  I would be interested to know if any cult experts have heard of this group before.

June 11, 2009, 8:03 pm CDT

Who Really Controls Our Mind?

The question is simple yet the answer is often made difficult.

Usually, their is only one person who controls our mind and that person is us. At times however, we allow others to control our minds and other aspects of our lives. It is simpler and there is no risk. by handing the controls to other people, drugs, alcohol and other outside factors our responsibilities are gone...or so we think and/or believe.

Never allow something or someone to convince you that you no longer own yourself. Join Dr. Phil, Robin, myself and others and understand that the only person who owns you is YOU. Additionally, if unsure or uncertain about this fact get professional help from your pastor, a counselor or a trusted friend.

June 16, 2009, 8:37 pm CDT

A Father Lost

The House of Yahweh

I missed the segment on Mind Control but wish I could have seen it.  My father is in "The House of Yahweh".  He "got into it" when I was in 4th grade.  It started off as simply a "Bible Study" on the "sabbath".  It over the years became more intense.  We were not allowed to celebrate any holidays such as Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Birthdays (yes, birthdays), Mardi Gras (which is BIG for us here in New Orleans).  We could not eat many foods, as they were considered to be "unclean".  Forbidden to say many common words, such as "happy, chance, happen, god, glad, good, love (yes, the word love), pride, and many more (because they were derived from "gods".  We had to study scripture from Friday sundown until Saturday sundown. He even brought us (my mother, 3 sisters, and my brother) to the compound when I was approximately 11.  I remeber how bizarre everything was there.  I can remember a 5 or 6 year old by lecturing me because I said I wanted another boy to push us on the merry go round because he pushed fast.  I said  "he pushes good".  I was in amazement that a 5 yr old was telling me I was going to hell for saying the word good.  Really.  He finally left, and moved onto the compound when I was 16. (Because Yisrayl Hawkins, the leader, told my father that if we (his wife and 5 children) did not convert to HOY then he needed to leave us.  As unimaginable as it seems, he did.  And to this day, I thank my mother for being the strong woman she is.  My mother stood her ground and refused to let my father take us to the HOY. I don't even want to think about what would have happened to my mom, sisters, and brother had she gone with him or allowed him to take us with him.  His twin brother also is a member of HOY.  When he moved onto the compound, he did take along his wife and 3 children. His oldest daughter was about 12.  I have heard that she was "married off" to a man in his mid 40s when she was about 14!  Awful!  My Aunt died about 10 years ago from cancer.  When my family was finally notified of her condition, she was already on her death bed.  Apparantly they refused to seek medical treatment until it was 2 late.  Things were pretty intense then, but I have heard that over the years, the HOY has become more and more intense.  About a year ago, not long after Yisrayl Hawkin's arrest,  I saw a special on Mind Control.  My father was on that special!  Rick Ross had gone into the House of Yahweh "undercover" and he actually spoke with my father for some time on the video.  He was discussing "false prophecies" with him.  It was so eerie and hard to see that.  I dont understand how people can get into these situations but there is no doubt that it is MIND Control.  I remember a time when my father was a very happy, fun, loving, family man.  Who he was was taken over by someone completely different.  I still pray, and hope that one day he will "wake up" and realize what he has lost, missed out on, and come back to his family.  And yes, though I am now 32, there is still part of that little 4th grader that yearns for her "daddy".  That is something I will never know, and all because of MIND CONTROL.....and something known as The House of Yahweh.

June 17, 2009, 4:55 pm CDT

06/08 Mind Control?

Quote From: leogorky

The typical christian response...if we don't believe like you, we MUST have a terribly shallow view of life...seems to me that the shoe is on the other foot.
I'm a Christian, but I find myself agreeing with several atheists, including you, on quite a few issues that don't have anything to do with religion. And, as for shallowness, I've seen this in some of those TV "Christians" who seem to be wallowing in all that money they convince people to send them. Gold chairs. Fancy clothes. Bleached hair. Too much makeup. Now, that's shallow!

July 14, 2009, 11:11 pm CDT

06/08 Mind Control?

Quote From: gramipam

Being raised in the World Wide Church of God cult headqtrs., in Pasadena, CA, founded and corrupted by its leader herbert w. armstrong, I am thrilled to see that there is more and more attention and education being shared about this very private and secret way of life. Hopefully this show will help spread more awareness about the damage, long term affects, and suffering that mind-control has on its victims...its survivors. There are many reasons for mind control....these individuals seek complete and unquestionable power in order to act upon and entice other pervs. such as themselves.  More often than not, there is child abuse-both physically verbally, and sexually, spousal abuse-same as prior, financial abuse, etc. Good ole herbert molested, at least, one of his daughters for around 10 yrs. Sadly, many ordained "ministers", church leaders, male brethren, etc., not only followed suit, but over-looked, covered-up, ignored these sick trangressions. There used to be two "ministers" at a time that would come to our home, unannounced and while my father was at work.  One would occupy my mother in the living room with scripture reading and "counsel", while the other one would lead me hand in hand back to my bdrm..."to look after me", so that my mom could get the full impact and spiritual message the other one was controling her through.  This went on from about  the ages of 3-6 by the "ministers" and again when I was 8 or 10, by an employee. My mother never came back there, the door never even had to be shut.  She "knew" that I was in the "best" of hands and that I was blessed to have such a devout man of God working with me so diligently one on one. And she would never, ever even think to interrupt either man, a woman did not do that back then.  I never called out for my mom or discouraged this in any way, because, for one how young I was when it started, and two, we were taught from the onset, from the pulpit by hwa that any form of  sexual abuse was brought on by us loathesome, sinful, decietful daughters of Eve...the ultimate liar, the reason for all of the worlds sins, for the fall of man, etc. Plus, I was soooo confused, how could this man sent from God be doing this?...I was a chosen one, a special child of God, so, I was supposedly being blessed for being such a special little girl to God and His chosen servants!!!!!!!  It was always the females fault due to us seducing the males with our natural, birth biven "waunton", (sp), eyes and seductive ways that satan manifested through us.  According to hwa, a female coud easily sexually  over power even the strongest of men....Sampson and Delilah. Not only were men given an out, but they were excused, over-looked for their foul behavior. Never were the police brought in, because we were not allowed to go outside of our group. hwa taught us that there was no such thing as rape in a marriage, it was the wifes fault for not submitting, therefore, the woman needed and deserved that form of take charge force by strength in order for her to better understand her place and stay there.  It would also teach her how to better herself as a wife, a member, a satisfying bed partner, a submissive female, etc., while at the same time benefiting their marriage by showing her who was in charge at all times, of everything, and every"body".  Females were 2nd class citizens under hwas teachings.  When a female teenage member of our YOU youth group was raped  and she actually reported it to the youth director, she would recieve the same punishment, sometimes more punishment, sometimes the only punishment than her attacker. This has changed in most of the wwcg and break-off locations I believe after hwas death ...not all tho'.  The suicide rate, infant deaths, and child deaths were extemely high...go figure.  Alcoholism also dominated many members lives, esp. males, thus making for more violence and crimes. Several web-sites actually refer to those of us who grew up and somehow escaped wwcg, after years and years of abuse, "child survivors".  After three failed suicide attempts, years of on again off again drug addiction, abusive relationships, and many years of therapy, (with many still to go), I am definately proud to call myself a child survivor. I was born into this way of life  and it took over 30 yrs before I was finally strong enough to break away for the very last time...for good.  When your family is still involved, it is extremely difficult to break such a debilitating strangle hold.  Finally, after almost loosing me, not too many yrs ago, to another suicide attempt, my family made an about face and have turned into such amazing, unconditional, forgiving, caring, non-judgemental, examples to and for me.  I do not blame my folks, my dad was a high up at hdqtrs, so he and my mom were just as much, if not more, controlled than us kids were.  I love my family, but the child-rearing that goes on in such a destructive atmosphere is far from normal, acceptable, and often times far from legal, too.  I just pray that your show and this mini-novel (lol)  helps encourage those who are enslaved and explain to those who are confused, uneducated, or in denial that this does exist.

I don't mean to argue or say that what happened to you was right, because I dont think that. I do think, however, that it is wrong to say the World Wide Church of God is a cult. I think it had some cultic tendencies in the 70's but it is still God's truth. What happened to you was horrible and never should have been. You are not to blame and the man who did that will be judged by Almighty God when the day comes. I just think that to say its all wrong and to throw the proverbial baby with the bath water out is silly. HWA made some mistakes in his ministry. I dont know if he molested his daughter but I do know that he was fallible and was human just like you or I are human. I met his son, GTA, and he was one of the nicest warmest individuals I ever met. Anyway, I hope you haven't given up on God completely. The truths you learned are still true regardless of what that man did to you.  Keep in mind that God was watching and that one day that man will have to stand before God in judgment.

July 21, 2009, 12:14 pm CDT

What?

Why are people on this board saying bad things about Mormons?   Mormons are not bad people, and they  talk to people of all backgrounds.  I was brought up in the Mormon church it was a great  history lesson, and it's teachings were about being good to others.   I grew up strong, and healthy, and so did all my sibling's.   I'm not in a bad place because I'm not active anymore, and no one has ever told me not to pursue my own interests.   My family is great to be around, and we all look out for each other.  Church is not the end all be all of life it's just a starting place for your own inner peace.  I still have projects to do, and I watch less t.v. then most I guess.  I give to many different  charities not just the Church, and no one has ever told me that I couldn't or shouldn't.  Please be kinder to Mormons.  The  Fundamentalists are what terrorists are to Islam, and to the Muslims.  The real Mormons will have nothing to do with the FLDS.

First | Prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | Next Page | Last Page