Message Boards

Topic : 11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Number of Replies: 2026
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:19:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s a hot-button topic in California and around the country: The passage of Proposition 8, which reinstated a ban on same-sex marriage. Supporters of this initiative voted to preserve the sanctity of marriage solely between a man and a woman. Opponents of Prop 8 say it violates the constitutional rights of the gay community and that America’s laws should treat everyone equally. Since Election Day, numerous protests and rallies have been organized to overturn the law, and the debates are getting heated regarding this highly personal and controversial topic. Dr. Phil’s guests debate their opposing points of view: Discrimination attorney Gloria Allred, president of the Human Rights Campaign Joe Solmonese, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, Pastor Jim Garlow, president of National Organization of Marriage Maggie Gallagher and co-campaign manager for the Yes on 8 Campaign Jeff Flint. Whatever your beliefs, you won’t want to miss this show! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you have a strong opinion on this debate? E-mail Dr. Phil and speak out about the same-sex marriage show!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 15, 2008, 8:15 am CST

Same Sex

I don't know what all the fuss is about... my husband and I have been having the SAME sex for 15 years.... sorry, I just couldn't resist an old joke :)

We had a similar issue here a few years back... protests, petitions, what have you... the government did just what they wanted. Then again we didn't protes as loudly as I expect the American public will.

Lots of luck.

Oh Canada, thy name is apathy.

November 15, 2008, 8:20 am CST

Let's get real

I'm amazed at the answers on the message boards so far.  Many talk about gay marriage being a sin.  Since when does a obscure and mis-guided interpretation of a 2000 year old book take precedence over reason and compassion.  Let's get real!

November 15, 2008, 8:39 am CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Quote From: zensible1

As hetero as I am, I don't have a problem with same-sex marriages. If two PEOPLE are in love with each other and willing to commit to be with each other solely and build a life together, a partnership and grow old together, then that, to me, is the definition of marriage. The gender of the partners is irrelevant.

Ironically, I've witnessed my gay couple friends having longer, more harmonious "marriages" than of my straight married friends. That's not to support running out, switching teams and partnering up with your same sex. It's just an observation that partnership/couplehood knows no sexual orientation, and possibly maybe those faced with inherent judgments and uphill climbs to be together have more of the stick-to-it-tiveness that others in a societally accepted marriage don't.

Thank you for your observations!I think I had to be gay before I

could come around to your way of thinking. If I were not gay myself,

because of my upbringing, I wonder if i wouldn't be out trying to "save" gay

people. God had to make me gay. Mind you I am very compassionate, and would

not have ever been as hateful as I have seen people be to me and my friends, but...

Thank you!

November 15, 2008, 9:01 am CST

gays

Amen sister to the lady that spoke about the pastor at First Baptist in Tx

November 15, 2008, 9:08 am CST

same sex couples

I think the gays and lesbians need to read the passage in The Holy Bible where it specificately says men should not lay with men and women with women, they will not get to heaven, maybe they don't care to.

November 15, 2008, 9:22 am CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Quote From: sunset1221

One thing leads to another.They say that if same sex marriage

was passed in all states they would start teaching kids in school

about it in fact they already are and on one of my soaps they had

two gay guys ,that within itself was one thing but I got upset when

I saw them kissing 1pm in the afternoon on CBS,so.....

I know one thing I don't understand why something is on a ballot,

people go vote then they go oh the majority vote didn't count

so we'll just overturn that and do it anyway.

Let me tell you I am very guarded when it comes to our Pres.Elect.

He is going to appoint liberal judges and things are just going

to get worse and worse.

I share your concerns about BHO.

November 15, 2008, 9:26 am CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Quote From: vanissa54

First of all, I will NOT be watching this program Dr. Phil.

The Pastor at First Baptist Church in Dallas, TX preached a wonderful sermon last Sunday and will continue the sermon topic tomorrow; Homosexuality is a sin.  These same sex couples are just flaunting their sin in the faces of America.  The constitution doesn't protect their rights to sin anymore than it gives someone permission to steal and to murder.  The two sermons are available from the church.  About 100 protesters picketed the church last Sunday and they vow to return tomorrow.  The Pastor did a fantastic job presenting the word of God on this subject yet the homosexuals and even their parents and children were ugly about how they felt about the word of God telling THEM that they were wrong.

I have persons in my extended family that live the homosexual lifestyle, I love them dearly, but , I will never say that what they are doing is right, I will never help pass laws that make it easier for them to live in sin.

Dr. Phil, remember to let your light shine FOR Jesus Christ.

Dr Phil's viewpoint of homosexuality isn't exactly biblical. Every time homosexuality has come up on any of his shows, he's said they're born that way, hard-wired. Maybe his "light" hasn't been lit yet.

November 15, 2008, 10:07 am CST

Same Sex Marriage

This is NOT FAIR.  This is america.  The country that gives it's citizens the RIGHT to vote on issues.

If this same sex issue is allowed to over ride the majority of the american voters, it will set a pattern

for everyone else who wants to SHOVE there ideas down our throats.  Whats the sense in voting if the

loser has the legal right to go to court, and demand his way. 

We can't bring biblical principles into the schools to teach our children, but we want to bring homosexuals in to teach them there principles.  Kids are already sexting on there cell phones as young as 12 years.  Keep God out, send the gays in and its only a matter of time before bathroom breaks will turn into sexual extravaganzas.  Our children are already saturated with sexual content, and abuse.

According to Obamas voting record, he supports and believes in sex education in KINDERGARDEN.  With so many different sexual opinions manifesting themselves, has anyone considered asking Obama EXACTLY what his idea of kindergarden sex education is?

Is everyone assuming that because he was voted president his ideas have to be good. 

I think theres a tragic truth behind the fact that not even ONE of ANY of our candidates on ANY side, on ANY level bothered to address the issue of child safety in the USA.  We all know the epidemic proportions these problems have reached.  Did they not care?  Did they feel that the american people care so little that they would lose there vote by addressing that issue, and if so, does that mean our votes are more important than our kids? 

America better wake up.  Our REAL problems didn't start until we turned our back on our kids.  All one has to do is follow the statistics. 

When america comes together and fights to defend and protect it's children, God will reach out His hand to defend and protect the adults.  Until then, I don't care who's president, America will LOSE.

November 15, 2008, 10:15 am CST

Re: Same Sex Marriages

Dr. Phil and People.

Since the beginning of time, even in the King James version of the Bible, sex has frequently been an activity without marriage.  When to have sex, and who with, is a personal choice.  Marriage is an institution designed for one man and one woman.

I just don’t understand why everyone is bothering to argue about same-sex relationships.

I don’t believe anyone should care what I do in my bedroom; and I don’t care what you do in yours.

Why in the world would my sexual choices have anything to do with approval from my family, or job, or friends, my public education, or my rights?

Why should anyone’s sexual choices “entitle” them to anything, or than privacy? Whatever you or I want to do sexually, with consenting adults,  is individual private business, and should have nothing to do with changing laws or community rights of any kind.  Period!

By the way, I’m heterosexual.

Thank you for listening.

Margee, Destin, Florida

November 15, 2008, 10:25 am CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Quote From: sunset1221

One thing leads to another.They say that if same sex marriage

was passed in all states they would start teaching kids in school

about it in fact they already are and on one of my soaps they had

two gay guys ,that within itself was one thing but I got upset when

I saw them kissing 1pm in the afternoon on CBS,so.....

I know one thing I don't understand why something is on a ballot,

people go vote then they go oh the majority vote didn't count

so we'll just overturn that and do it anyway.

Let me tell you I am very guarded when it comes to our Pres.Elect.

He is going to appoint liberal judges and things are just going

to get worse and worse.

Get worse - are you kidding? Things are SO much better than they were

8 years ago.This free market idolitry has put us in such a healthy place.

But we won't let the free market adjust itself by accepting the consequences of its actions.

We prefer welfare for the rich. Oh yea we're so much better off.

The patriot act has protected our rights so well. See how the patriot act

feels when the shoe is on the other foot. It's okay if Bush listens in without a warrent, without following the rule of law conservatives and myself subscribe to, but doesn't feel so comfortable when

those executive powers were hijacked no one thought of what it would look like if the other side had those same powers. That whole do unto others looks like a good idea to me.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last