Message Boards

Topic : 11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Number of Replies: 2026
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:19:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s a hot-button topic in California and around the country: The passage of Proposition 8, which reinstated a ban on same-sex marriage. Supporters of this initiative voted to preserve the sanctity of marriage solely between a man and a woman. Opponents of Prop 8 say it violates the constitutional rights of the gay community and that America’s laws should treat everyone equally. Since Election Day, numerous protests and rallies have been organized to overturn the law, and the debates are getting heated regarding this highly personal and controversial topic. Dr. Phil’s guests debate their opposing points of view: Discrimination attorney Gloria Allred, president of the Human Rights Campaign Joe Solmonese, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, Pastor Jim Garlow, president of National Organization of Marriage Maggie Gallagher and co-campaign manager for the Yes on 8 Campaign Jeff Flint. Whatever your beliefs, you won’t want to miss this show! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you have a strong opinion on this debate? E-mail Dr. Phil and speak out about the same-sex marriage show!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 15, 2008, 11:25 am CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Quote From: ramair

Dr Phil's viewpoint of homosexuality isn't exactly biblical. Every time homosexuality has come up on any of his shows, he's said they're born that way, hard-wired. Maybe his "light" hasn't been lit yet.

Or maybe he know's it's not as simple as stop being who you are.

The Bible tells us not to eat pork. It probably is a good idea for our health and for

the sake of the animal, but... how many people who have a literal inturpetation

of the Bible eat pork. Nothing is that simple.

Do justice, love mercy, walk humble.

Lets start there, and then see where defaming good people fit in to that.

November 15, 2008, 11:28 am CST

same-sex marriage?

Quote From: alycam26

What gets to me about this whole matter is the same thing that annoys the hell out of me with the celebrity so-called news.  It's none of anyone else's business who is in relationship with whom.  Only the people involved in the relationship need be concerned.  

You mind your own business and stay out of their's and mine: What harm or threat is it to strangers who anyone chooses to havea  relationship with?  None is the correct answer.  It is the individual's right under the USA Constitution to seek happiness and if that means being in relationship with a man, or a woman or neither then that right must be upheld across the board.

Those you who are spending all this time discussing and watching other people's business means you're not minding your own; and, I'll bet my life's savings your relationships are in the sewer.  Your sticking your nose where it doesn't belong comes down to you're afraid to look at your selves in the bright light of truth.

MInd your own business is how you start living a wholesome, happy life.

I agree with you, sexual preference of any sort is no one's business. I realize we will never convince all thse so called "Christian" hetrosexuals to accept this, but why not let people live as they want? It is just silly to make such an issue out of this!

How 'bout this - none of us whether heterosexuals or same sex partners should be allowed to marry and that is about how angry this makes me.  If it's anyone's business, I am a heterosexual person and believe in God and so on...what is wrong with you people?? The Bible also says that to cheat on your "spouse" is a sin, too but we have many "sinners" out there now!!

Leave them alone!! As this person says "mind your own business"!! Whether a person is gay or straight won't  matter if you stick with what's going on around you and trust me, I'm sure there are several Commandments that are being broken in EVERY household - so leave these people alone!!! Let them live the life that is right for them! I'd love to see what would happen if one of y'all's children happen to be gay, (it's not a way of life, ) there are many studies that say that sexual preference is determined at birth!  Dr. Phil, I can't WAIT to hear your views on this subject!!

November 15, 2008, 11:28 am CST

SAD

Quote From: dsmitche

I really don't care what peoples preferences are, what I care about is the right to vote.  The people of CA have spoken, right, wrong or indifferent.  Whoopi Goldberg was wrong to say the popular vote can be "wrong" . It is peoples choice.  It is sad when something is voted and it can be overturned.  This is why some citizens do not vote, they say "it doesn't matter anyway".   The people have spoken, let it be.

It's is truly SAD that the people have voted to discriminate based on predjutice.   Whoopi was RIGHT.   They got it wrong.  Because they voted based on FEAR and UNTRUE statements put forth from a very large out of state religion.   Just like President Bush did.  Throw  fear into their minds to get what you want.  So sad!!!

November 15, 2008, 11:29 am CST

prop 8

like to say I have a gay son and he and his signicant other married here in Vermont  2 years ago last May.

I`m thrilled he had found happiness as he was very confused and aggitated for a long while .

He means the world to me as well as does his companion,they were meant to be together .It`s to bad people today can`t find better things to spend time on to better the world,

If they did maybe we wouldn`t have had to have a buy out in the government.

November 15, 2008, 11:29 am CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Quote From: ladydiinsc

I think the gays and lesbians need to read the passage in The Holy Bible where it specificately says men should not lay with men and women with women, they will not get to heaven, maybe they don't care to.

And the passage about not eating pork or wearing mixed fibers.

It sure is easy to pick and choose what we choose to listen to

or what passages we choose to read.

November 15, 2008, 11:31 am CST

same sex ,in religion

Quote From: mageeraej

www.sojo.net

This is what is not understood. Laws will not bring people closer to Jesus.

It may make your world more comfortable, but will not bring me or anyone

else to a relationship with Jesus Crist.

you have got to be kidding me.

A pastor of all people should be more understanding and cordial to all fellow parisioners.

November 15, 2008, 11:35 am CST

SO Sad

I think the gays and lesbians need to read the passage in The Holy Bible where it specificately says men should not lay with men and women with women, they will not get to heaven, maybe they don't care to.

Educate yourself and rent the DVD called "For the Bible Tells me So"

November 15, 2008, 11:36 am CST

So Sad

Amen sister to the lady that spoke about the pastor at First Baptist in Tx

You need to also educate yourself and go rent the DVD "For the Bible Tells Me So"

November 15, 2008, 11:47 am CST

same-sex marriage?

Quote From: mscca814

This is NOT FAIR.  This is america.  The country that gives it's citizens the RIGHT to vote on issues.

If this same sex issue is allowed to over ride the majority of the american voters, it will set a pattern

for everyone else who wants to SHOVE there ideas down our throats.  Whats the sense in voting if the

loser has the legal right to go to court, and demand his way. 

We can't bring biblical principles into the schools to teach our children, but we want to bring homosexuals in to teach them there principles.  Kids are already sexting on there cell phones as young as 12 years.  Keep God out, send the gays in and its only a matter of time before bathroom breaks will turn into sexual extravaganzas.  Our children are already saturated with sexual content, and abuse.

According to Obamas voting record, he supports and believes in sex education in KINDERGARDEN.  With so many different sexual opinions manifesting themselves, has anyone considered asking Obama EXACTLY what his idea of kindergarden sex education is?

Is everyone assuming that because he was voted president his ideas have to be good. 

I think theres a tragic truth behind the fact that not even ONE of ANY of our candidates on ANY side, on ANY level bothered to address the issue of child safety in the USA.  We all know the epidemic proportions these problems have reached.  Did they not care?  Did they feel that the american people care so little that they would lose there vote by addressing that issue, and if so, does that mean our votes are more important than our kids? 

America better wake up.  Our REAL problems didn't start until we turned our back on our kids.  All one has to do is follow the statistics. 

When america comes together and fights to defend and protect it's children, God will reach out His hand to defend and protect the adults.  Until then, I don't care who's president, America will LOSE.

You could not be more wrong "bathroom breaks will turn into sexual extravaganzas".  This is just so so wrong!! No, I don't want my child (of ANY age or sexual preference) having "sex" in schools!!

These people may be the minority, but they should have the same rights and choices as you and I!! This is simply bigotry at it's best, the US has always been called the "melting pot" because we offer so many nationalities to move here, ok, here's a thought - if your ancestors came from any where except the US - send those people back to those countries!! That sounds about as ridiculous as what you are saying!! People like you need to BUT OUT because you don't know what you are talking about !! Did you know that having gay parents is usually a reason for these children not to be gay.....we have NOT turned our backs on our children!! We would simply be adding another life style to the various ones they already have, we are not told to outlaw the American Indian's belief's, or the blacks and be awfully proud of your heritage, but heavens don't allow our children to be exposed to gay people or they will turn gay....do you realize how STUPID that sounds.

Start by getting your facts straight and then come and tell me I'm wrong!!

November 15, 2008, 11:54 am CST

U Christians

Quote From: mageeraej

Thank you for your observations!I think I had to be gay before I

could come around to your way of thinking. If I were not gay myself,

because of my upbringing, I wonder if i wouldn't be out trying to "save" gay

people. God had to make me gay. Mind you I am very compassionate, and would

not have ever been as hateful as I have seen people be to me and my friends, but...

Thank you!

Is not what we are supposed to do is love one another and help each other in their time of need instead of persecute? These people did nothing wrong. I'm sorry I don't mean to say "these people" like i'm labeling anybody because they are JUST like you and me. They have so much love in their heart for each other and others like "you" it's incredible. I have some friends that I would put over some of my church friends any day of the week because they are real and not hypocrites trying to put each other down or talk about each other as soon as they walk out the walls of the church. PLEASE stop the hate. I think there has been enough of that back in the early 20's and 30's and then some to go around through the generations that has caused enough hatred right through today. Do we want that for our kids and grandkids up the line like we've had with the racial generation. I don't. Give love, Please............................

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last