Message Boards

Topic : 11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Number of Replies: 2026
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:19:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s a hot-button topic in California and around the country: The passage of Proposition 8, which reinstated a ban on same-sex marriage. Supporters of this initiative voted to preserve the sanctity of marriage solely between a man and a woman. Opponents of Prop 8 say it violates the constitutional rights of the gay community and that America’s laws should treat everyone equally. Since Election Day, numerous protests and rallies have been organized to overturn the law, and the debates are getting heated regarding this highly personal and controversial topic. Dr. Phil’s guests debate their opposing points of view: Discrimination attorney Gloria Allred, president of the Human Rights Campaign Joe Solmonese, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, Pastor Jim Garlow, president of National Organization of Marriage Maggie Gallagher and co-campaign manager for the Yes on 8 Campaign Jeff Flint. Whatever your beliefs, you won’t want to miss this show! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you have a strong opinion on this debate? E-mail Dr. Phil and speak out about the same-sex marriage show!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 15, 2008, 12:11 pm CST

Come on...

First of all, I am strait,  live in California and have been married for 18 years to a wonderful guy.  I loved being married and the benefits (and some of the frustrations) that come from it.  I do not understand why, if two people love each other, who am I to say that they can not enjoy the same things that I enjoy.  It's the right thing to do.

I have heard all the reasons why we shouldn't have same sex marriage in this state because, god forbid, they teach it in our schools.  First of all, I want anyone to tell me when they were "taught" about marriage in the school system... Okay... You can't remember??? It's because it's not part of what is required.  I have 2 girls (one in 8th grade and the other in 9th) and have been working closely with their teachers in the classroom and not once, was marriage talked about. 

Even if, who knows marriage is taughjt, so what...  It is part of our society and it will teach tolerance and acceptance.  We had a child in Oxnard (my city) murdered by another child because he was gay.  This single act destroyed not only the two kids that were involved, but their families and the students and teachers that were there and witnessed it.  I'm on a School Site Council for another school and we immediately determined that we needed to talk about tolerance, acceptance and teach that everyone should treat everybody with dignaty and respect. 

I also go to a Christain church and made sure my church was accepting of Gay people.  If not, I wouldn't be a member of it. I love the Lord and I cannot imagine he's looking down from heaven and is proud of how we are treating each other.

Do you realize only 50 years ago we had the audacity to tell black people they couldn't marry a white person.  Obviously this was wrong and so is this. 

I sure hope my grandchildren look back on this time and place and say to me "Oh my gosh, Grandma, Gay people couldn't get married, what in the world was anyone thinking".

November 15, 2008, 1:06 pm CST

Same Sex Marriage

Here is the thing...there are so many people losing their homes, pensions, health insurance and etc that my marriage should be at the bottom of people's lists. These people need our help! Why were the churches sending their money to Ca instead of helping their own members? How sad that even one person went hungry while you were so focused on my marriage.

Most of the things listed on their ads were deceiptful such as the little girl in MA saying that she had to learn about gay people in school. That case happened before there was gay marriage. I was never taught about any kind of marriage in school.  The schools already are teaching tolerance for all people including gays here in CA. If you think that your children do not know about gay marriage already then you are wrong. They hear the news, they talk to friends, they hear about it in their churches. Come on now. You would be surprised how much they know. Do they talk to their friends and use the term "That's so gay"? Do you really think that they don't know what they are saying?

I really appreciate everyone worrying about my "sins" and my soul going to hell but the thing is that I will be the only one standing before God on my judgement day. He already knows my heart. Let me worry about my soul's standing. Thanks anyway.

I am tired of hearing of gay kids being beaten up, shot, etc in the schools. Life is hard enough without going to schools and living in fear. Not one persons marriage changed because I got married. Your marriages are still the same, your jobs are still the same, your relationships with your families are the same, your relationships with your churches are still the same. Not one thing for you changed.

We are not asking for special rights we are simply asking for equal rights. We just want the right to live our lives quietly and continue on as we always have. Really, how would you feel if you had to ask everyone in the state if you could marry? Think about it for a minute.

I know that I will not have changed one persons mind or made a difference to anyone but I thank you for the chance to express how I feel

November 15, 2008, 1:08 pm CST

Politics are never black and white

Prop 8 was brought on the ballet because of the unfairness of the passing of the gay marriage law previously.  When Ca decided gay marriage is ok, churches of all kinds were taxed by the gov. and fined for the beliefs the churches have on this topic.  If one can say rights should not be taken away from the gay community, one can say the same in any church community.  The gov. has no right to do this, there should be freedom for all no matter what the belief is.  One group should not be penalized for the rights of another, both side need a fair law.  All people have a voice and there can be a solution.  Love does need to go around!

November 15, 2008, 1:32 pm CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Quote From: deannaruedy

First of all, I am strait,  live in California and have been married for 18 years to a wonderful guy.  I loved being married and the benefits (and some of the frustrations) that come from it.  I do not understand why, if two people love each other, who am I to say that they can not enjoy the same things that I enjoy.  It's the right thing to do.

I have heard all the reasons why we shouldn't have same sex marriage in this state because, god forbid, they teach it in our schools.  First of all, I want anyone to tell me when they were "taught" about marriage in the school system... Okay... You can't remember??? It's because it's not part of what is required.  I have 2 girls (one in 8th grade and the other in 9th) and have been working closely with their teachers in the classroom and not once, was marriage talked about. 

Even if, who knows marriage is taughjt, so what...  It is part of our society and it will teach tolerance and acceptance.  We had a child in Oxnard (my city) murdered by another child because he was gay.  This single act destroyed not only the two kids that were involved, but their families and the students and teachers that were there and witnessed it.  I'm on a School Site Council for another school and we immediately determined that we needed to talk about tolerance, acceptance and teach that everyone should treat everybody with dignaty and respect. 

I also go to a Christain church and made sure my church was accepting of Gay people.  If not, I wouldn't be a member of it. I love the Lord and I cannot imagine he's looking down from heaven and is proud of how we are treating each other.

Do you realize only 50 years ago we had the audacity to tell black people they couldn't marry a white person.  Obviously this was wrong and so is this. 

I sure hope my grandchildren look back on this time and place and say to me "Oh my gosh, Grandma, Gay people couldn't get married, what in the world was anyone thinking".

Maybe you should try reading the Bible in that "Christian church" of yours. How do you explain this verse?

1 Corinthians 6:9

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders...

Maybe you should also read the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in the book of Genesis (that's the very first book of the Bible in case you don't know).   

No, being cruel to these people isn't right, that's not the answer. And no, God isn't looking down from Heaven and feeling proud of how we're treating each other, but He's also not proud of what we're allowing to happen just so no one is "offended" It's time we worry less about offending each other and worry more about offending God.

November 15, 2008, 1:42 pm CST

Exact passage

Would someone please direct me to the EXACT passage that claims God says same sex marriage is wrong ?   I don't think it exists.  MAN may have said it but God didn't.

Also, if there is in fact such an edict why aren't the other things in the bible followed... having slaves, beating your wife, clothes of multiple fiber, pork restriction (and I am sure there are others) ?  Oh yeah.  Man realized that the words written BY MAN or their interpretation by OTHER MEN was incorrect. 

As someone stated earlier I too do not remember being taught about "marriage" in school.  I do remember being taught about pregnancy and STDs but never mechanics or anything about "marriage".

Next, someone stated something about marrying your mom or two second cousins marrying.  That's a medical issue.  If you are a man and woman and procreation occurs, that child/children are going to have geneologcal and biological problems.   This is why early royal bloodlines were fraught with insanity and disease.

Just a question... if a man and a woman are wed in the courthouse officiated only by a judge and not clergy or anyone representing any religion, are they married or are they just civilly unionized?

I don't understand why all wedded couple can't be considered a civil union.   It is a legal distinction.  If you wanted to take it one step further and be recognized in a church (separated from the state recognition) then you can have a service performed in a chruch.  They you'd married.  However, being unionized or married should offer NO different protection UNDER THE LAW as it does now.   Change the check boxes to __ Single  __Wed  __ Divorced __ Widowed.    Seems simple to me.

November 15, 2008, 2:04 pm CST

To Each Their Own

Dr. Phil,

I believe everyone should have the choice of marriage.  I am a bi-sexual female and we were given the right to choose and love whom ever we wanted.  I am also a Christian and my understanding of God, he doesn't condemn everyone for one person's mistakes. He judges fairly.  I believe people should leave the judging of the gay and lesbian marriages to God as they understand Him.  It is not up to the public to judge unless they want to be judged themselves.

November 15, 2008, 2:20 pm CST

same-sex marriage

I have gay friends that would like to marry.  I love them dearly.  I'm also a Christian which doesn't prevent me from loving them. 

Homosexuality has been shoved down our throats from Hollywood and I'm really pleased that California didn't allow themselves to get brainwashed by the media.

The votes are in.  I would like the gay community to stop harrassing little old ladies who have the courage to stand up to a bunch of bullies.  They have been rude, dishonest, ignorant and ungracious in these protests.  Please take your signs home and just accept the way the country voted.  We would like you to please stop calling us names and making us feel bad or stupid.  Please just accept us, our beliefs, our lifestyles, our opinions and our votes.  PLEASE JUST STOP!!!

November 15, 2008, 2:24 pm CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Quote From: hpmx59

Doctor Marriage Phil Same-Sex. There goes the neighborhood right down the drain. Same-Sex yea right.---

I donot belive in Same Sex at all. But it will work. See you on Friday November 21st, 2008. Sincerley Your.--

Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so much talk about the bible.. you people don;t get it.. your not the judge in this life or the next.. i am a very firm beleiver in god, but i know i do not have the power to judge or discrimate against anyone.. if you people keep using god to say what is right and what is wrong,then i guess you should be sitting on the throne , and making commandments instead of him..god gave people the right to live as we choose, and for those who think that being gay isn;t one of them, i feel for them.. i was at one time the same. beleiving that that was wrong, but until you finally understand that your givin a choice to live the way you want , that god wants that for you, then and only then will you get it.. i don.t know about you, but i beleive god loves all his children.. when we die we will have all the answers, till then i beleive that as long as we pray and are good people, helping others and living a good life with god in it, then i believe we all will be in heaven thank you sincerely annie pereira kitchener ontario, canada

November 15, 2008, 2:32 pm CST

Who are you to judge?

I just don't understand what the problem is with same sex marrige!  As a nation we have gone through some very similar fight for our rights issues in the past, and many groups of people who are now allowed to do what the white male has been able to do since this country was formed, are becoming the majority in this counrty. Everyone should have the same rights as anyone else.  Gay marrige is no different.  Why do people have such a problem with this issue?  Aren't gay and lesbians allowed to be happy?   Are they really that different from a straight couple?  I have been married and divorced and I think that everyone should be entitled to have a ceramony and get that piece of paper that in a lot of cases ruins your relationship just like everyone else.  I hope that when my son is old enough to chose for himself if he would like to marry a woman or a man, he has that right.  I don't believe that any love is wrong!!!  Love is very hard to find and when you do find it you better grab hold of it no matter who it is!

November 15, 2008, 2:50 pm CST

SAME SEX MARRIAGE

Quote From: hpmx59

Doctor Marriage Phil Same-Sex. There goes the neighborhood right down the drain. Same-Sex yea right.---

I donot belive in Same Sex at all. But it will work. See you on Friday November 21st, 2008. Sincerley Your.--

Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The good Lord made men and women different for a reason and that has worked for many many years. I "love" people of the opposite sex for various different reasons, that doesn't mean that I
want to sleep with them. Maybe some day this will be a way of life but I doubt that I will be here
to see it and I am thankful for that. My stomach turns when I see same sex couples "making out"
Eeewww!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last