Message Boards

Topic : 11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Number of Replies: 2026
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:19:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s a hot-button topic in California and around the country: The passage of Proposition 8, which reinstated a ban on same-sex marriage. Supporters of this initiative voted to preserve the sanctity of marriage solely between a man and a woman. Opponents of Prop 8 say it violates the constitutional rights of the gay community and that America’s laws should treat everyone equally. Since Election Day, numerous protests and rallies have been organized to overturn the law, and the debates are getting heated regarding this highly personal and controversial topic. Dr. Phil’s guests debate their opposing points of view: Discrimination attorney Gloria Allred, president of the Human Rights Campaign Joe Solmonese, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, Pastor Jim Garlow, president of National Organization of Marriage Maggie Gallagher and co-campaign manager for the Yes on 8 Campaign Jeff Flint. Whatever your beliefs, you won’t want to miss this show! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you have a strong opinion on this debate? E-mail Dr. Phil and speak out about the same-sex marriage show!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 14, 2008, 4:46 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Marriage Phil Same-Sex. There goes the neighborhood right down the drain. Same-Sex yea right.---

I donot belive in Same Sex at all. But it will work. See you on Friday November 21st, 2008. Sincerley Your.--

Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 14, 2008, 9:36 pm CST

Where does it end

I"m sorry but before we know it we will be like Massachusetts not having any say about whether our young children have gay information shoved down their throats without parents having any say in the matter.  Maybe not at first but it all evolves.  What happened to majority rules?  Not only did religious groups vote YES but so did many ethnic groups vote YES and people need to recognize that the majority just aren't ready for this now and to LET IT GO!!!!!  With something like this it just ends up going to the next level and it goes beyond boundries that shouldn't be crossed.  What if we did this with our Presidency and started protesting because the minority are unhappy.  The nation would be in utter chaos!!!

Chris

November 15, 2008, 12:49 am CST

IT MAY BE BEST IF MARRIAGE STAY AS IS

One thing leads to another.They say that if same sex marriage

was passed in all states they would start teaching kids in school

about it in fact they already are and on one of my soaps they had

two gay guys ,that within itself was one thing but I got upset when

I saw them kissing 1pm in the afternoon on CBS,so.....

I know one thing I don't understand why something is on a ballot,

people go vote then they go oh the majority vote didn't count

so we'll just overturn that and do it anyway.

Let me tell you I am very guarded when it comes to our Pres.Elect.

He is going to appoint liberal judges and things are just going

to get worse and worse.

November 15, 2008, 5:01 am CST

Any Love is Good Love

As hetero as I am, I don't have a problem with same-sex marriages. If two PEOPLE are in love with each other and willing to commit to be with each other solely and build a life together, a partnership and grow old together, then that, to me, is the definition of marriage. The gender of the partners is irrelevant.

Ironically, I've witnessed my gay couple friends having longer, more harmonious "marriages" than of my straight married friends. That's not to support running out, switching teams and partnering up with your same sex. It's just an observation that partnership/couplehood knows no sexual orientation, and possibly maybe those faced with inherent judgments and uphill climbs to be together have more of the stick-to-it-tiveness that others in a societally accepted marriage don't.

November 15, 2008, 5:10 am CST

same sex marriage

sure go for it and I also want to marry my mother. she has insurance and I don't. so what if we are kin, She and my dad are 2nd cousins. Hey it is discriminatory if we aren't allowed to. After all anything goes right.

November 15, 2008, 5:13 am CST

Way 2 Go CA!

I say WAY 2 GO CA! I even campaigned for Prop 8 here in Arkansas. People who had relatives or friends in California were encouraged to contact them to urge them to vote FOR Prop 8. This country will not be blessed as long as we continue on the downhill spiral that we are on...drifting further and further from Christ. The gays want equal rights, so do we! We have the right to not allow same sex marriages; we have the right to not allow foster children to be adopted by same sex couples or a gay single. God didn't create us this way, but anymore everyone tries to find a gray area to be able to justify everything that is done. It's black and white and it's called the BIBLE!

November 15, 2008, 6:05 am CST

100% Un-Biblical

First of all, I will NOT be watching this program Dr. Phil.

The Pastor at First Baptist Church in Dallas, TX preached a wonderful sermon last Sunday and will continue the sermon topic tomorrow; Homosexuality is a sin.  These same sex couples are just flaunting their sin in the faces of America.  The constitution doesn't protect their rights to sin anymore than it gives someone permission to steal and to murder.  The two sermons are available from the church.  About 100 protesters picketed the church last Sunday and they vow to return tomorrow.  The Pastor did a fantastic job presenting the word of God on this subject yet the homosexuals and even their parents and children were ugly about how they felt about the word of God telling THEM that they were wrong.

I have persons in my extended family that live the homosexual lifestyle, I love them dearly, but , I will never say that what they are doing is right, I will never help pass laws that make it easier for them to live in sin.

Dr. Phil, remember to let your light shine FOR Jesus Christ.

November 15, 2008, 7:36 am CST

Learn from History

Anthropologist J.D. Unwin (and others) have said that every civilization that has fallen has done so as a result of homosexuality.  As a society, Christian or non, I hope we are smart enough to let history be our teacher and stop this downhill slide into ultimate destruction, yet again!

November 15, 2008, 7:43 am CST

amazing

It is amazing to me how people are so unable to appreciate the circumstance of others.

I have children with my partner of 17 years. I am sure my relationship has out lasted

that of many of my heterosexual counterparts. Was I wounded when my parents

told me about their yes on measure 8 sign of coarse. Growing up with conservative evangelicals

I understand why they think what they think, Did I agonize when I came out on a number of fronts absolutely. I thought this knowledge would kill my mom, I prayed for years. But it was something

that was not going to change nor should it. I am as or more compasionate, empathetic, and giving,

as most of the people I know. I know that because the person i sleep next to isn't a man does not matter.

I must reccomend a book called "stranger at the gate "by mel white. I so hope we can come to some kind of cultural truce.

November 15, 2008, 7:49 am CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Quote From: mjc_ark

I say WAY 2 GO CA! I even campaigned for Prop 8 here in Arkansas. People who had relatives or friends in California were encouraged to contact them to urge them to vote FOR Prop 8. This country will not be blessed as long as we continue on the downhill spiral that we are on...drifting further and further from Christ. The gays want equal rights, so do we! We have the right to not allow same sex marriages; we have the right to not allow foster children to be adopted by same sex couples or a gay single. God didn't create us this way, but anymore everyone tries to find a gray area to be able to justify everything that is done. It's black and white and it's called the BIBLE!

Lets talk about arkansas. Not letting unmarried people foster or adopt.

I hope that every single decent family that voted for that is planning on taking in

and loving and caring for these often difficult children who have lived through horrific circumstances.

It should be the responsibility of every single voter that has half a heart to care for these children .

I dare you. you won't do it. You will make some excuse. If you had the compassion to care for these kids, you wouldn't have voted the way you did.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last