Message Boards

Topic : 12/03 Families under Fire

Number of Replies: 65
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 07:23:13 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
As the nation faces a collapsing financial market, record job losses and a foreclosure crisis, is your marriage strong enough to survive the storm? Bishop T.D. Jakes, renowned pastor and author of Before You Do, joins Dr. Phil to discuss how families can brave tough times. First up, Karen says she and her husband, Walter, were living the American Dream: a loving marriage, a beautiful home and a 20-acre farm. But when she quit her job for health reasons two years ago, bills began piling up, and Karen fears her spouse is cracking under the pressure. She says Walter gets tense, pounds his head with his fists and blames her for their mounting debt. Walter admits that he can hurl insults when he and Karen fight over their finances, but says Karen’s carelessness with credit cards is driving them further into the red. Find out what Karen says her husband did that pushed her over the edge. Can Dr. Phil and Bishop Jakes get the couple back on track? Then, Sherida and Brandon have been married for three months, but instead of enjoying their honeymoon, they say their relationship is already on the rocks. Sherida says that Brandon has a law degree, but he refuses to get a job, and she’s tired of being the sole provider. Brandon says he’s waiting on a higher power to provide. Can Sherida and Brandon salvage their union, or should she cut her losses? Plus, don’t miss Dr. Phil’s survival plan to get your marriage through the economic meltdown. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 3, 2008, 1:15 pm CST

Perfect job

Please advise Brandon that I know the perfect job for him.  With his Education and skills,  he should be able to get a job teaching.  I feel this would be perfect because he said that he wants to inspire and be inspired.  Teaching does that.  Also, the couple said that they like him to be there with the kids.  Teaching hours coincide very well with that.  He also does not care about the big bucks.  Teaching does not pay the big bucks, but it pays enough to make a significant contribution to the family's income.

December 3, 2008, 1:20 pm CST

12/03 Families under Fire

Quote From: sweetiesmom

I am a woman who has lived on a fixed income for years. I can tell you right now that I watch how you guys shop . When you shop where the rich man shops you are going to spend a rich mans dollor.  Dollar stores and thrift shops have great things to offere if you give them a chance.

I  will give you an example I am a collector of cookbooks I find them useful to gain insight.

At the local branch of the main Library in the basement there is a bookstore. I waited for the right time and special and managed to buy 14 cookbooks for 4.75.

Same thing with  groceries. Don't be afraid to venture in to a not so classy neighborhood. The majority of the people who normally shop at those stores cannot afford high prices. If they went too high no one would be shopping there.

Just remember that  a good bargain is what you see in it.

love doris.

Very good advise.  You rock!

December 3, 2008, 1:24 pm CST

Bishop TD Jakes

I was concerned that the Bishop openly supports Obama.  I have always respected TD and listened to his messages, but now I really question his motives.  How can a man of God and a devout Christian support a politician that is pro choice??  Obama's FOCA (Freedom of Choice Act) is scary stuff and will force even Catholic hospitals to perform abortions.  TD Jakes said that this election had nothing to do with race...then why did he vote for a politician with these values?? 

December 3, 2008, 2:11 pm CST

Obama is not a blackman

Everyone keeps saying that obama is an african american he is not, he is a bi racial man not a black man he is both. His mom was white and his father was black and that all i have to point out. Get it right hes bi racial man not a blackman

December 3, 2008, 2:28 pm CST

I am right there with ya.

I am right there too.  I am in my late 40's and married.  My husband was fired last December and lost out on a severence package that he was suppose to recieve.  I had a job for a couple of weeks, after which I was told I didn't fit in.  Since then I have not been able to get work.  I too have applied, and even interviewed but have not gotten the job, I also am on the employment agencies lists, but call and there are no jobs.

My husband was fortunate to get a position in April with a very good company  and  I feel blessed to have that job.  He continually hounds me about getting a job and says things that hurt my feelings as well.  We had our second car repossesed a couple of months ago and are filing for bankrupcy.  The only reason we have the money for that is due to some settlement money his mom gave us. 

My mother died of cancer in August and like my father I took care of her until she died.  Very tough to watch your only parent left take their last breath.  I miss her very much and the holiday's are tough.  I also had a grandaughter born at 24 weeks in Aug.  She has been hospitalized and undergone 4 surgeries.  We pray for her everyday.  My only sister who lives in Ohio won't speak to me.  After my husband and I got in a physical fight and I left, I called her to see if I could come and stay for awhile, she told me I could only stay a day or two.  I got upset and couldn'[t believe she wouldn't help me.  I should be the one who should stay mad, but I have tried to contact her, but she won't return my texts, e-mails or answer my phone calls.  I have given up there.  I did get back with my husband after I put him in jail the next  weekend for hitting me again.  Things have improved there due to God's influence.  But I still am fearful at times.

So again I say: we all have problems, some worse than others.  I too feel hopeless sometimes, but try to concentrate on the things I do have.  Fairly good health, one of us with a job, at least one car, and food on the table.  We have to do what we can to get through. 

I wish we could afford professional councelling, but we also have a very high deductable.  So I just keep praying and try to have faith that the Lord will get us through these crisises. 

Hang in there.

T

December 3, 2008, 2:34 pm CST

It is not always all about the Money

I was suprised when neither You, Dr. Phil or T.D. Jakes said, a belief that I have always had.  This life is not always about money.  Can your money hold you when you need to be held?  Can your money  listen to you when you have something to say?  Can your money warm your heart by loving you for you?
I say no, Yes I understand that bills must be paid, mortages, utilities etc but people will be suprised as this crisis grows, how much you actually DON'T NEED. Yes you may want it, but you don't NEED it. I heard you say this afternoon "that teenagers were in depression" due to the lack of money.  I feel sorry for all of those who think that money will make them happy or "secure".  My husband and myself never argue about money.  There is no point. It doesn't make more money appear, nor does it pay an overdue bill.  We all need to go back to a simpler way of life.  Before you buy something ask yourself "Do I need this or do I want this."  And purchase accordingly.  Also Dr. Phil and all of you that "stress out" over money matters remember "That this too shall pass". God has us all in His hands, and He will never put more on us than we can handle" .  Trust in Our God, look to Him for answers, and sleep sound tonight.

December 3, 2008, 2:41 pm CST

Black Status Symbol

I wouldn't want to not believe another woman, but I have lived in various black neighborhoods where I've even heard the black women say their job is their black indentiy. For one black woman down the street her job is her whole being. And the black wife may be insisting to uphold the family's black (racial) image.

December 3, 2008, 2:58 pm CST

A job is needed

While money is not the end all be all of everything, money is needed to survive.  My wife left for me another man because she was tired of carrying the load financially.  I was coaching and earnestly looking for a job, while pursuing that dream of being a major college coach.  So I relate well to todays show. 

My wife and I had seperated before and I moved back to Ohio to reconcile with her.  I had a job when I got there, but it was costing us over $400 a month in gas for just my car, I hated the job and the 66 miles one way commute.  Anyway, we decided as a couple that I should resign and substitute teach.  While in the midst of the hiring process things at home got turned off at home, like the heat.  To make a long story short, she ended up leaving me for another man.  I lost everything, and now reside in Atlanta, GA and I am in the process of switching careers to nursing.

The bottom line is a man has to provide for his family, but his wife has to support him and be there through good and bad times together.  A husband and wife must work together, and must see each other through the rough times.

December 3, 2008, 3:27 pm CST

How come this never came up??

Hi all,

I'm new here-- first post-- please bear with me. 

Anyway--  I can't believe Dr. Phil--  how come -- with the last couple shown-- Dr. Phil  never mentioned the fact that the husband without a job doesn't even do ANY house work?   The wife works all day and then has to come home and cook dinner, clean house and do laundry!!!   excuse me!!   It's as if this husband wants to be her child instead.   He is not holding up any of the weight of being married and an adult.

I found it a bit upsetting that Dr. Phil didn't bring that up.   I bet he would have if the wife was home and not working and not cooking or doing housework.   He would have asked why she doesn't do any of the house work.......... so why didn't he ask the husband???   is Dr. Phil stuck in Victorian times???  me thinks so.    It's quite sad when a popular TV personality doesn't try and bring humanity up with the times.......  I'm so disappointed...........  :o(

Lila

December 3, 2008, 3:33 pm CST

12/03 Families under Fire

Quote From: stan92057

Everyone keeps saying that obama is an african american he is not, he is a bi racial man not a black man he is both. His mom was white and his father was black and that all i have to point out. Get it right hes bi racial man not a blackman

Well, it seems to me that if one is bi racial the "white" must be pushed to the back, if one is going to get much recognition.   

I don't know why an accomplishment means more if one is regarded as a minority--- I think an accomplisment should be colorless. 

lila 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last